NFL 2024 | Let's Football

I'll preface this by stating that it's an uneducated viewpoint because I haven't matched entire games of the Bears. But it looks like Williams is freakishly athletic, he is big and moves very well but he has no clue about being a QB in the NFL, at the moment he is seeing ghosts and mirages.

Am I missing something or is it accurate?
Basically accurate.

Not good. Our RB room is fecked. CEH (who sucks anyway) is also out with a PTSD related illness. We're down to an UDFA full back and Broncos castoff Samaje Perine who has been activated off the practice squad.

Is there still hope for Bryce Young? I was wondering if there ever were QB‘s with a start this horrible who not only turned out ok, but worthy of the investment the Panthers made. Couldn’t think of one.

Not good. Our RB room is fecked. CEH (who sucks anyway) is also out with a PTSD related illness. We're down to an UDFA full back and Broncos castoff Samaje Perine who has been activated off the practice squad.

Already on IR.

Is there still hope for Bryce Young? I was wondering if there ever were QB‘s with a start this horrible who not only turned out ok, but worthy of the investment the Panthers made. Couldn’t think of one.
He's comfortably the worst QB I've seen in this league. Even Zach Wilson had a few moments where he looked pretty good. Him having such a shitty o-line obviously doesn't help but when his pocket protection is good he still misses open targets and fails to see other passing options (presumably because of his height). I can't even see any team signing him to be a backup after the Panthers inevitably cut him. He's been that bad.

I haven’t see him with the eye test but there’s always hope. Troy Aikman didn’t have a winning record until his third season and in his first season he went 1-11 and got destroyed by defenses. But the eye test showed he was going to be great.

I haven’t see him with the eye test but there’s always hope. Troy Aikman didn’t have a winning record until his third season and in his first season he went 1-11 and got destroyed by defenses. But the eye test showed he was going to be great.
The eye test is the thing with him. I realise that he plays for a team so horribly assembled, it’s comical. But the eye test just leaves so little reason for hope. I don’t remember a high profile QB starting off worse ever since Jamarcus Russell.

Yesterday I was thinking that Bryce Young is the first QB that made me see why size matter. With him I don't see the upside, he has below average measurable, he isn't really elusive, he doesn't have a strong arm, he doesn't process things particularly quickly.

I could see him be far better if he was playing for one of the top offensive head coaches but I don't think any of them would actually want that. I think that Stroud or Richardson go #1 if any of them had the pick.

I'll preface this by stating that it's an uneducated viewpoint because I haven't matched entire games of the Bears. But it looks like Williams is freakishly athletic, he is big and moves very well but he has no clue about being a QB in the NFL, at the moment he is seeing ghosts and mirages.

While a good athlete, I wouldn't say he's a freakish athlete (not like a Lamar Jackson or Anthony Richardson for example). He's also not very big, just average size for a QB (6'1" 215 lbs). What makes him special is his accurate and strong arm, pocket awareness, creativity/improvisation and big play ability. While obviously not as good, he's the closest thing to a Mahomes I see out there.

He's struggling a bit right now, but he's a rookie and will figure it out eventually. Not helped at all by having a shitty o-line and Shane Waldron as his offensive coordinator.

Last edited:

He threw the ball 27 times for just 84 yards, which is god awful on its own, but when you read this, you just have to laugh.

I want to believe in him, but it getting harder and harder.

He played in dysfunctional teams 2 out of his 3 years in college, and missed a year of development prior due to the pandemic. The one normal year he’s played in a sound team he lapped the field to the Heisman trophy.

So he’s not incapable of reading a defense, more like playing hero-ball is ingrained in him and it’s something he’ll need to be weaned off of. But you are seeing what was his main point of criticism amongst scouts or at least media ‘scouts’, so you’re not imagining things.

Wow, out of nowhere. Clearly something has happened behind closed doors.

Or they watched his film from yesterday and were like "....nah"
Dave Canales was supposed to be the rescue guy for Young after reviving the careers of Geno and Baker the last two seasons. If you're benching your #1 overall pick from last year right now after Wk 2, what good does that do? We know what Andy Dalton is and that ain't it.

Unless it's aimed to take some of the heat and pressure off of Young after these last two weeks and it's only a short-term benching, I really don't see the point in this move. It's basically giving up.

Dave Canales was supposed to be the rescue guy for Young after reviving the careers of Geno and Baker the last two seasons. If you're benching your #1 overall pick from last year right now after Wk 2, what good does that do? We know what Andy Dalton is and that ain't it.

Unless it's aimed to take some of the heat and pressure off of Young after these last two weeks and it's only a short-term benching, I really don't see the point in this move. It's basically giving up.

He said "Andy gives us our best chance to win, right now" and "he gives us our best chance to win this week". It seems like he's leaving the door open for Bryce but it feels like if Dalton is anything better than terrible then he'll be the starter going forward.

Canales himself has said that it's based on the film of the first two games. It's a very difficult situation because his performances have been insanely bad and I assume it is not good for the whole roster when your QB is so bad.

You read numbers like this and then watch him run around all the time to wonder what is going on really

There's a lot of Carolina fans online who hate the move to bench Bryce. Not because they think it's too soon to give up on him etc. They don't want him benched because it opens the door for the Giants and Broncos to take their first pick in the 2025 draft if they improve a bit. If they're going to suck they might as well really suck and get something good out of it.

Let's not forget that they still are on the hook for a 2nd round 2025 draft pick to the Bears for that trade. Given their situation that's effectively a late first round pick the Bears are going to get. What an awful, awful trade that was.

Last edited:
There's a lot of Carolina fans online who hate the move to bench Bryce. Not because they think it's too soon to give up on him etc. They don't want him benched because it opens the door for the Giants and Broncos to take their first pick in the 2025 draft if they improve a bit. If they're going to suck they might as well really suck and get something good out of it.

Let's not forget that they still are on the hook for a 2nd round 2025 draft pick to the Bears for that trade. Given their situation that's effectively a late first round pick the Bears are going to get. What an awful, awful trade that was.
One of the worst trades ever. Savings grace for them is that so far Caleb looks like ass.

Aikman had a horrendous start to his career on a team even worse than this Panthers side. But Aikman was a miles better talent in comparison. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00/gamelog/1989/

One could point to Terry Bradshaw, Archie Manning and Jim Plunkett but it was far different era. Bradshaw was first overall in 1970 and Plunkett-Manning went 1-2 in 1971.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTe00/gamelog/1970/
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannAr00/gamelog/1971/
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PlunJi00/gamelog/1971/

Peyton + Eli + Belichick = awesome commentary
That's the main gripe I have with DAZN this season. I wanted to watch Manningcast last Monday but it's only available to their premium subscribers and it costs a feckton.

One of the best things that's happened this season is the 30 minute Belichick segments on the McAfee show where he goes through a few talking points from each week. It's a great listen and isn't spoiled by McAfee or the Easter Island statue guy with the cigar.

That's the main gripe I have with DAZN this season. I wanted to watch Manningcast last Monday but it's only available to their premium subscribers and it costs a feckton.

One of the best things that's happened this season is the 30 minute Belichick segments on the McAfee show where he goes through a few talking points from each week. It's a great listen and isn't spoiled by McAfee or the Easter Island statue guy with the cigar.
That does suck. At least you get him on McAfee!

It’s so good
And got even better once it was Peyton + Eli + Matt Ryan. Listening to them just now talk thru the last 3 minutes of the game was amazing

Deebo now injured for the 49ers. Going to miss 2 weeks apparently.

If you like a bet then I’d be interested in the underdog Rams beating us this weekend. Fairly long odds on it too at the current time.

And got even better once it was Peyton + Eli + Matt Ryan. Listening to them just now talk thru the last 3 minutes of the game was amazing
Just watched the clip on Twitter as I also don't have Manningcast available here, but that's just awesome to have them breaking it all down during a game-winning drive.

Also, filthy move by London on Darius Slay for that TD. He is so good, Kirk finally looked somewhat like his old self in that final drive.