New & Renovated Stadiums in Europe

i always wondered how is the view from up there and how the feck do this people see anything but this is a fantastic view, would actually prefer this spot over 90% of the others.

12509305_10201346096249957_8294912630854194029_n.jpg

It isn't horrible but it still feels so far away from the action.

That'll teach me to be flippant about things I know next to nothing about in future! :D

My whole thought process was based on the idea that the West Stand of Lansdowne Road in Dublin was built over the tracks in 1908 but then, I imagine the old legislation and regulation side of things wasn't quite the same back then! It's not as wide a set of tracks either although space would always have been tight in that area.

The problem with Old Trafford is that nothing else can really be done now until the South side is dealt with. It's fine at the moment while we're still head and shoulder above any side in the country, but at some stage surely even the Glazers are going to want to see progression. If Madrid, Barca and Bayern are all sitting there with enormous, shiny stadia to show off, it becomes a status or image symbol as much as anything else.
Perhaps if it's part of a bigger project to increase the size significantly... But it's going to need a lot of seats to justify the expense...
I don't know how the figures would stack up to sell ot buy some new Land and build a 100k multipurpose stadium with naming rights up for grabs and hotels etc vs the cost to get ot up to that size eventually... I'm sure someone is doing the sums for the Glazers somewhere

Perhaps if it's part of a bigger project to increase the size significantly... But it's going to need a lot of seats to justify the expense...
I don't know how the figures would stack up to sell ot buy some new Land and build a 100k multipurpose stadium with naming rights up for grabs and hotels etc vs the cost to get ot up to that size eventually... I'm sure someone is doing the sums for the Glazers somewhere

I've just found this thread which seems to break down the numbers quite well:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/old-trafford-capacity-statistics.313462/

Meanwhile our stadium looks old as feck.

Complacency is a disease says Fergie

*Looks at AC Milan... Shakes head*
Jesus fecking Christ do you ever stop moaning?

Old Trafford is an icon, feck changing it for some soulless modern cylinder.

It wasn't a full house but there 50 odd thousand there that night. I remember one corner was empty for some reason and it looked really odd. Think it might have been the North-West quadrant actually.

38400 there v Hull, United having 50000 or whatever given the capacity of Old Trafford is comparably bad. It speaks more about the prestige of the cup than anything else, in my opinion.

i always wondered how is the view from up there and how the feck do this people see anything but this is a fantastic view, would actually prefer this spot over 90% of the others.

Haven't been on top row tbh but this is before a game from the commentary box.

It's not bad.
2ild45t.jpg

Jesus fecking Christ do you ever stop moaning?

Old Trafford is an icon, feck changing it for some soulless modern cylinder.

That bit is very true. They are much alike. I really liked Allianz Arena from all modern ones, but apart from that those which I've seen live are all the same to me.

Personally, I was disappointed Chelsea didn't get the old Battersea power station. The proposed designs looked unique and the idea of Roman having an old power station as his evil lair was fitting.

tumblr_m3i8t6T6oR1rv5yr0o1_1280.jpg

That would of been iconic, modern grounds virtually look identical and this would have been a breath of fresh air.

One of these days in the future they'll build an underwater football stadium, plenty of space down there.

Or half buried underground stadium would be ace

Technically the Stade de France is half buried under ground. You walk up a few steps and then get over the top and the ground disappears way below you.

Krasnodar Stadium in Russia opened a couple of days ago, looks pretty amazing.. Capacity of 34’291, unfortunately no WC matches here as the Russian FA chose (probably got payed more by) Sochi.

B4JzMTH.jpg

Apwc4al.jpg

j86aYdN.jpg

KRLY5BP.jpg

jWFk3y7.jpg

TVJofOc.jpg

sQfZrdL.jpg

mh9YXrt.jpg

KgQMVSd.jpg

tTTHeBP.jpg

BOE7mHF.jpg

C5rNm2X.jpg

kFXvvxZ.jpg

The Nou camp should just stay that way it is. With the new design in the video it looks a bit like the Allianz and way too over-the-top, it takes the glam of Barcelona away.

I don't think it's that bad right now. This is from the highest rows, right near the edge of the stadium.

That's a cameras view, not yours. From the back row at the top it's nothing like that close. I'm not saying it's a bad experience up there but that photo isn't indicative of the view.

Haven't been on top row tbh but this is before a game from the commentary box.

It's not bad.

That's nowhere near the top of the ground. The top of the stand is high enough and steep enough to be scary/daunting. It's not a very nice place to watch a match from. Totally worth it for twenty euros but I'd happily pay three times the price to be in the lower tiers.

That's nowhere near the top of the ground. The top of the stand is high enough and steep enough to be scary/daunting. It's not a very nice place to watch a match from. Totally worth it for twenty euros but I'd happily pay three times the price to be in the lower tiers.
That shot was from the commentators box. It's pretty near the top of the tribuna you can't get higher from that side.

Been couple of times there but for a game usually bought cat 2 tickets I think it was something around 40 euros for la liga game.

Isn't that motif on the outside of the new Russian stadium very similar to the planned look for Stamford Bridge after its renovated?

http://www.marca.com/futbol/real-madrid/2016/10/11/57fcc8db468aeb0b778b4646.html
The new Bernabéu has finally been approved by the city council and the works will start next summer. The club offices will go to the sport city (Valdebebas) to get some extra space, besides the shopping center disappears to create a green area in Paseo de la Castellana. It will be called IPIC Bernabéu or Cepsa Bernabéu :(

Last edited:
That would of been iconic, modern grounds virtually look identical and this would have been a breath of fresh air.
However to re-appropriate a London landmark for a select few would have been disgraceful.. oh wait they're turning it into luxury flats..

Krasnodar Stadium in Russia opened a couple of days ago, looks pretty amazing.. Capacity of 34’291, unfortunately no WC matches here as the Russian FA chose (probably got payed more by) Sochi.

B4JzMTH.jpg

Apwc4al.jpg

j86aYdN.jpg

KRLY5BP.jpg

jWFk3y7.jpg

TVJofOc.jpg

sQfZrdL.jpg

mh9YXrt.jpg

KgQMVSd.jpg

tTTHeBP.jpg

BOE7mHF.jpg

C5rNm2X.jpg

kFXvvxZ.jpg

You do remember my thread. Great :)

I'm surprised so many here think ot is near perfect. Views at the top of east, west and certainly north stand are a bit shit.

Not saying i want a new stadium as i love ot, but its heavily flawed in some respects.

I'm surprised so many here think ot is near perfect. Views at the top of east, west and certainly north stand are a bit shit.

Not saying i want a new stadium as i love ot, but its heavily flawed in some respects.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the views up there. But there is plenty wrong with the atmosphere at times.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the views up there. But there is plenty wrong with the atmosphere at times.

It depends on how you (quite literally) view things. You can see the pitch from everywhere which is the important bit of course but with the roof angled down the way it is, you can't see the rest of the stadium meaning it feels a bit claustrophobic for a 76,000 seat stadium.

It's important to remember as well that when OT was originally renovated and completed in 1993/4, it looked every inch the soulless bowl than many people don't like.
old-trafford-eaw627720-682491.jpg

Why they decided to expand it the way they did I'm not quite sure but it's turned into a hotch-potch mess really. Some would call it character but it could've been done a lot better than it has. The North Stand is incredibly impressive but the roof clouds just how big it is, the Stretford End and the East Stand don't match it because the second tier is too big and whoever signed off on the plans for the quadrants was blind because they really are an eyesore.

If/when we decide to expand the South Stand I fully expect it to look completely different again and that's due in no small part to having to expand over the railway.

Do we think the club would consider giving Old Trafford a renovation like what Madrid and Barca are doing anytime soon?

Do we think the club would consider giving Old Trafford a renovation like what Madrid and Barca are doing anytime soon?

I've been in the top tier a few times and that REALLY needs sorting. That roof overhang needs to go. For about £60m which is the price of a player, they could do some serious improvements to OT and increase capacity while they're at it. I'm hoping the West Ham, Spurs, Everton and Chelsea developments will give the OT board a kick up the bum.

I've been in the top tier a few times and that REALLY needs sorting. That roof overhang needs to go. For about £60m which is the price of a player, they could do some serious improvements to OT and increase capacity while they're at it. I'm hoping the West Ham, Spurs, Everton and Chelsea developments will give the OT board a kick up the bum.

Oh ok fair enough. I hope they do a renovation all over and not just the roof but stadium facilities, and general makeover. Also increase stadium capacity as well if they can, which probably means putting several hundred million into it. Maybe it could coincide the with introduction of safe standing. Though I can understand if the primary priority now is to sort what's happening actually on the pitch first.

This stadium being built in Atlanta is like nothing i've seen before.

That looks like shit. It's as if somebody's living their dream of having a fancy roof and that's about it.

The one above from Russia looks brilliant though.