New & Renovated Stadiums in Europe

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Barcelona - Nou Camp upgrade - Capacity - 105,000 | Scheduled opening - 2021 | Plans unveiled

barcelona-nou-camp-new-nou-camp_3428469.jpg

The upgrade is set to make the Nou Camp the second largest football stadium in the world, behind the Rungrado 1st May Stadium in Pyongyang
Barcelona's iconic Nou Camp with undergo a renovation worth an estimated £500m over the next five years. Once complete, Europe's largest football stadium will rise to second in the global standings with capacity increasing to over the 100,000 mark

The new Santiago Bernabeu

http://www.realmadrid.com/en/history/santiago-bernabeu-stadium/future-santiago-bernabeu-stadium

Lyon: a new stadium since February 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_Olympique_Lyonnais

All the future English stadiums

Chelsea Stamford Bridge regeneration - Capacity - 60,000 | Scheduled opening - ? | Plans submitted
stamford-bridge-chelsea-premier-league_3428734.jpg

Chelsea have submitted plans for a new stadium at Stamford Bridge
You could argue Chelsea's rise under Roman Abramovich has been curtailed by their inability to expand, or move away from, Stamford Bridge.

As clubs across Europe redevelop and relocate with ease, Chelsea's west London location has prevented such aspirations. Undeterred, though, the Premier League champions submitted a £600m proposal to renovate the 41,000-seater Stamford Bridge to Hammersmith and Fulham Council in 2015.

The new design works around the existing structure of Fulham Broadway Underground Station
The plans intend to demolish and replace the current ground with a 60,000-seater stadium, with construction starting as soon as May 2016 if permission is granted.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/20/video-take-a-virtual-tour-inside-chelseas-new-60000-stadium-5634181/

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/01/chels...nd-of-terrible-stamford-bridge-views-5536817/

Nuevo Estadio Atletico de Madrid - Capacity - 70,000 | Scheduled opening - 2017

Following the City of Madrid's decision in 2007 to recoup the land currently occupied by the Vicente Calderon, Atletico have been slowly saying goodbye to their home of 50 years. From the start of the 2017/18 season, Madrid's Olympic Stadium will be the new home of Los Colchoneros. The ground, which originally had a capacity of 20,000, is being extensively renovated ahead of Atletico's move and will hold 70,000 spectators once complete.

Valencia Nou Mestalla - Capacity - 65,000 | Scheduled opening - ? | Construction on hold

A computer-generated image of the Nou Mestalla
Valencia's plans to move to the Nou Mestalla were put on hold in 2009 when construction work ceased amid financial difficulties. The proposed new stadium features an innovative exterior, stunning aluminium cladding and a wood interior - adding an extra 10,000 seats too.

Valencia's half-built Nou Mestalla Stadium awaits completion
Initially designed to hold 74,000 fans, Valencia have had to continually scale back their plans in a bid to resume construction. Each attempt has been fruitless, and a barren concrete shell lies awaiting completion in the heart of the city.

Liverpool - Main Stand redevelopment - Capacity - 54,000 | Scheduled opening - 2016 | Under construction

Having opted to remain at Anfield over a proposed relocation to Stanley Park, Liverpool's £100m expansion of their iconic ground is approaching completion. Work to the Main Stand got underway in early 2015 and, once completed, will add an additional 8,500 seats, bringing full capacity to around 54,000. The steel structure topped out in February and the Merseyside club will open the doors to their new, state-of-the-art stand at the start of the 2016/17 season.

Tottenham
New Tottenham Stadium - Capacity - 61,000 | Scheduled opening - 2018 | Under construction

white-hart-lane-new-spurs-stadium-plans_3322922.jpg

Spurs have revealed revised plans for their new stadium
West Ham's awarding of the Olympic Stadium in Stratford left Spurs with little choice but to develop on their existing site at White Hart Lane. Following the resolution of a lengthy legal dispute with neighbours, Spurs haven't wasted any time in fulfilling their new stadium ambitions, with the foundations already being laid along the Tottenham High Road. The as yet unnamed stadium will surpass the capacity of Arsenal's Emirates Stadium at 61,000, almost doubling the current capacity at the Lane.
Building is well underway at White Hart Lane for Spurs' new stadium

Last edited:
All the future English stadiums

They are hardly expanding the Emptihad are they? That would be like me expanding the range of Scarlett Johansson's favourite bathroom cosmetics I keep in my en suite, just in case.

If they can achieve that Nou Camp rebuild without interruption to any playing time then fair play that will be a great transition and upgrade.

Meanwhile our stadium looks old as feck.

Complacency is a disease says Fergie

*Looks at AC Milan... Shakes head*

What's that Chelsea monstrosity? Look's ugly as. And Anfield doesn't look much better.

Couldn't disagree more. Old? No. Different? Yes.

I don't know about the Bernabeu but compared to the Nou Camp, Old Trafford and the San Siro are pristine. I did the tour there when I was in Barcelona and while it's obviously an iconic and impressive stadium, the place is a kip and is falling apart around them.

I'd love to see OT increase in size and bring up that South stand, but it would be so we'd have more seats and a symmetrically rounded stadium rather than the urgent modernisation needed by Barca.

They are hardly expanding the Emptihad are they? That would be like me expanding the range of Scarlett Johansson's favourite bathroom cosmetics I keep in my en suite, just in case.

I understand they target a capacity of 61,000 against 55,000 now. Expected works related to the North Stand.

I understand they target a capacity of 61,000 against 55,000 now. Expected works related to the North Stand.

Fair enough. I suppose I can see them needing the extra seats for important occasions such as Cup quarter finals...

PAY-Manchester-City-v-Hull.jpg

I think they're going to wait a few years before expanding again, if there's enough demand and they regularly sell out they will increase the capacity to more than 60,000. I think Liverpool are also increases the capacity of another one their stands, it will be 54,000 next season and 58,500 in 17/18.

I think they're going to wait a few years before expanding again, if there's enough demand and they regularly sell out they will increase the capacity to more than 60,000. I think Liverpool are also increases the capacity of another one their stands, it will be 54,000 next season and 58,500 in 17/18.

I agree with you.

Very few recent press articles about this project so I guess this project isn't urgent.

Could have a separate France section. Bordeaux and Lille have new stadiums don't they and I know that Stade Geoffrey-Guichard and Stade Velodrome were very recently renovated.

I wish they'd sort out the roof in the upper tiers at Old Trafford. So claustrophic up there and you don't get a good view of the whole stadium. And get a decent screen ffs! Old Trafford could do a with a a bit of tinkering itself.

Quite a few stadiums are being built/renovated for 2018

FC Krasnodar

705dfec4a867b620928ee289468cf35c.jpg

b567aac982b7fe0c9f1c4f901e1b1681.jpg

FC Dynamo Moscow (football pitch + multimunctional hockey/basketball/concert arena under the same roof)

ab341699693a5c2ad6007d9b36ead101.jpg

4742a6e05746c6aab97d3fe80cf3aa83.jpg
d5b4d5be4fce4a6e9c041fbea9a037db.jpg

Nou Camp already have problems with the view form the higher rows and I don't see this reconstruction helping the problem - actually, it's doing the opposite

I think we should increase capacity by having narrower seats and a 'no fat bastards' rule. Just narrow the turnstiles and if you can't get through you can feck off.
Maybe have a fatty section like the wheelchair one, but make them pay treble.

Nou Camp already have problems with the view form the higher rows and I don't see this reconstruction helping the problem - actually, it's doing the opposite

I don't think it's that bad right now. This is from the highest rows, right near the edge of the stadium.

rSP4BwJ.jpg:small

Would hate Old Trafford to have a big screen and get renovated to look like all the other stadiums. Piecemeal renovation is better imo because otherwise it's jarring to immediately move to a completely new stadium, it can't really feel like home. So OT is fine as it is imo.

I don't know about the Bernabeu but compared to the Nou Camp, Old Trafford and the San Siro are pristine. I did the tour there when I was in Barcelona and while it's obviously an iconic and impressive stadium, the place is a kip and is falling apart around them.

I'd love to see OT increase in size and bring up that South stand, but it would be so we'd have more seats and a symmetrically rounded stadium rather than the urgent modernisation needed by Barca.

The Bernabeau is a fecking ugly stadium from the outside ... I would even go as far as to say a bit of an eyesore. The new plans look much nicer

Good luck making the sums add up with the rail line there - I simply don't see how the relativley small capacity increase can justify the significant outlay a tunnel type arrangement or making the stadium big over bridge would cost - let alone the practicalities of pilling that close to an existing line or heaven forbid trying to divert the line

You can probably add some seats there (especially in the corners) but I dont see how you can bring it up to North stand size

Last edited:

Yeah, Nou Camp does have a bit of a communist eastern bloc feel to it. The place definitely needs some revamping. Old Trafford is a futuristic marvel in comparison.

Everyone's going for the Allianz Arena look I see. The new Nou Camp looks bloody identical in that image in OP.

Keep OT the way it is - the style at least.

What's that Chelsea monstrosity? Look's ugly as. ....

Chelski's new stadium is years down the line, if it ever gets built at all. They don't yet have planning permission ... and getting it will be very difficult and long drawn out, for reasons to do with Compulsory Purchase Orders, railway lines, nuclear waste and much more.

Could have a separate France section. Bordeaux and Lille have new stadiums don't they and I know that Stade Geoffrey-Guichard and Stade Velodrome were very recently renovated.

The idea is to speak about the new developments.

A France section won't attract any interest here and there are no mega projects coming in France because:

- New stadium of Lille completed in 2013
- New stadium of Nice + renovated stadium of Marseille completed in 2015
- New stadium of Bordeaux + new stadium of Lyon completed several months ago

PSG would like to expand the Parc Des Princes (target of 60,000) but is seems so complex that the project has been delayed for years.

They will be moving to Quatar in 2023 as their owners will have a bunch of stadiums they have to find a use for

I won't be surprised if PSG plays some games there one day. Qatar would have to indemnify the opposing team (travel costs..).

What's that Chelsea monstrosity? Look's ugly as. And Anfield doesn't look much better.

Personally, I was disappointed Chelsea didn't get the old Battersea power station. The proposed designs looked unique and the idea of Roman having an old power station as his evil lair was fitting.

tumblr_m3i8t6T6oR1rv5yr0o1_1280.jpg

New Stamford Bridge looks amazing. Kinda brutalist cathedral like.

Last edited:
Good luck making the sums add up with the rail line there - I simply don't see how the relativley small capacity increase can justify the significant outlay a tunnel type arrangement or making the stadium big over bridge would cost - let alone the practicalities of pilling that close to an existing line or heaven forbid trying to divert the line

You can probably add some seats there (especially in the corners) but I dont see how you can bring it up to North stand size

They own the houses on the other side and simply having the train run under the stand is something that has been done at stadiums for 100+ years

Fair enough. I suppose I can see them needing the extra seats for important occasions such as Cup quarter finals...

PAY-Manchester-City-v-Hull.jpg

Seem to recall Old Trafford been similarly empty for your quarter final when Palace beat you a few years ago.

They own the houses on the other side and simply having the train run under the stand is something that has been done at stadiums for 100+ years
yes... I design and sell structures that go over rail lines so I am quite aware as to what is possible... I'm talking about what seems commercially viable and that is where I think it falls down... you know rail exclusion zones for crane, piling exclusion zones, height clearance for future electrification which seems to be a big network rail thing at the moment, working windows being exceptionally short all add significantly to costs - also I don't think they own all the land they would need for footings on the far side either so as I say commercially it would not seem to stack up in comparison to adding extra tiers to the east and west (and filling in the corners) in terms of return ratios - I just dont know if the aesthetic of the ground is more important than its financial return as an asset - but based on the Glazers ownership so far I would expect them to look for the best return off any investment - and I don't see that as being building over the line.
Probably some potential work in it for me if they do build over the line though so Id be all for it - but planning and network rail approvals would take years... rail jobs are a nightmare

yes... I design and sell structures that go over rail lines so I am quite aware as to what is possible... I'm talking about what seems commercially viable and that is where I think it falls down... you know rail exclusion zones for crane, piling exclusion zones, height clearance for future electrification which seems to be a big network rail thing at the moment, working windows being exceptionally short all add significantly to costs - also I don't think they own all the land they would need for footings on the far side either so as I say commercially it would not seem to stack up in comparison to adding extra tiers to the east and west (and filling in the corners) in terms of return ratios - I just dont know if the aesthetic of the ground is more important than its financial return as an asset - but based on the Glazers ownership so far I would expect them to look for the best return off any investment - and I don't see that as being building over the line.
Probably some potential work in it for me if they do build over the line though so Id be all for it - but planning and network rail approvals would take years... rail jobs are a nightmare

That'll teach me to be flippant about things I know next to nothing about in future! :D

My whole thought process was based on the idea that the West Stand of Lansdowne Road in Dublin was built over the tracks in 1908 but then, I imagine the old legislation and regulation side of things wasn't quite the same back then! It's not as wide a set of tracks either although space would always have been tight in that area.

The problem with Old Trafford is that nothing else can really be done now until the South side is dealt with. It's fine at the moment while we're still head and shoulder above any side in the country, but at some stage surely even the Glazers are going to want to see progression. If Madrid, Barca and Bayern are all sitting there with enormous, shiny stadia to show off, it becomes a status or image symbol as much as anything else.

Seem to recall Old Trafford been similarly empty for your quarter final when Palace beat you a few years ago.

It wasn't a full house but there 50 odd thousand there that night. I remember one corner was empty for some reason and it looked really odd. Think it might have been the North-West quadrant actually.

I don't think it's that bad right now. This is from the highest rows, right near the edge of the stadium.

rSP4BwJ.jpg:small

i always wondered how is the view from up there and how the feck do this people see anything but this is a fantastic view, would actually prefer this spot over 90% of the others.