NBA 2022-2023

Prince is bad but he’s also the type of move Blazers would make with the fan base convincing themselves that he will change franchise’s fortune.

Actually I wish there was a way to go for Bridges from Nets now but with absolutely zero reason to tank they will probably use him as a building block for the new team (which will actually be half decent IMO).

Prince isn't bad, that's a very harsh assessment.

Let’s say underwhelming then. I am not buying him from you anyway!

Which is fine, he is a solid rotation player and not someone that should be traded for the sake of it.

So what do you guys think about Conley to the Wolves on paper? He is old but seems to fit with the idea of having a true PG that is focused on organizing the offense and moving the ball to the open man.

In hindsight would you get Conley or Lowry?

Ja still fine in the West?

So what do you guys think about Conley to the Wolves on paper? He is old but seems to fit with the idea of having a true PG that is focused on organizing the offense and moving the ball to the open man.

Should help the offence and especially Gobert, they had a great understanding before.

The Lakers came out looking best out of the deal though.

Conley is all right. I'd have him ahead of Lowry at this point, also because his contract is valid for another year.

Now that the dust has settled I am actually more positive on that deal from Nets point of view. Bridges and Johnson are both good and though 2023 and possibly 2025 picks are going to be crap, the 2027 and 2029 ones could be very tasty as CP3 and KD will be long gone.

Ja still fine in the West?

Should help the offence and especially Gobert, they had a great understanding before.

The Lakers came out looking best out of the deal though.

Short term the Wolves were never going to look the best, that deal is due to Russell expiring contract and the Wolves being unable to forfeit the cap space that occupies. D'Lo had to be traded or extended and by most accounts he wants a max contract, at least from the Wolves.

I wonder if Bones Hyland is still in play? Conley+Hyland in place of Russell, someone and picks sounds good.

Short term the Wolves were never going to look the best, that deal is due to Russell expiring contract and the Wolves being unable to forfeit the cap space that occupies. D'Lo had to be traded or extended and by most accounts he wants a max contract, at least from the Wolves.

I wonder if Bones Hyland is still in play? Conley+Hyland in place of Russell, someone and picks sounds good.

Do you even have any picks to trade?

Besides that, Nuggets will be looking to add players. I think it may end up as Naz Reid for Hyland though.

Now that the dust has settled I am actually more positive on that deal from Nets point of view. Bridges and Johnson are both good and though 2023 and possibly 2025 picks are going to be crap, the 2027 and 2029 ones could be very tasty as CP3 and KD will be long gone.

Agreed. I have seen a lot of hot takes on twitter and I don't know if I agree. The Nets have a bunch of excellent defenders that should be the backbone of their team, now they need to find scorers outside of Cam Thomas. To me it looks like they have a very malleable team that could be great very quickly.

Last edited:
Do you even have any picks to trade?

Besides that, Nuggets will be looking to add players. I think it may end up as Naz Reid for Hyland though.

Right now, a bunch of second round picks and this summer at least one first round.

Agreed. I have seen a lot of hot takes on twitter and I don't know if I agree. The Nets have a bunch of excellent defenders that should be the backbone of their team, now they need to find scorers outside of Cam Thomas. To me it looks like they have a very malleable that could be great very quickly.

And this will be more like a Nets team I want to see, in all honesty. That plucky, grinding team with Russell, Dinwiddie and Allen was so fun to watch a few years ago and this one should be quite similar. If Simmons could actually find any form and resemble a player he had once promised to be, they'd have a very nice core of him, two Cams, Bridges and Claxton with a super deep bench.

I still reckon they must be looking to trade some of their excess players now. No reason to have all of Royce, DFS, Cam Johnson, Bridges, no reason to keep all of Cam Thomas, Harris and Curry, they are definitely overstocked and some of these players should still have some value in the market.

BTW Nets current picks situation is basically window on current NBA. They are not even halfway done repaying Harden deal which was supposed to bring them the chip, and owe all their picks or swaps to Houston until 2027, but at the same time they are now poised to reap benefits from any combustion that may occur in Phoenix and Dallas, to an extent Philly too (they have their 2027 pick which is top 8 protected). Among ludicrousness of many teams going all-in lately, even teams that very distinctly do not have a real shot at the championship, we are going to soon see quite a few teams of little quality that will at the same time have no reason to tank for several years in a row. Significant number of NBA teams have now mortgaged their entire 2024-2029 to make a run in 2022-25, and I reckon we are going to see a couple more sink deeper than they currently are into that paradigm soon (my Blazers one of them).

Right now, a bunch of second round picks and this summer at least one first round.

I doubt Nuggets will be in the business of adding picks, they need end of the bench rotation talent which they gave up last Summer to Wizards back. Their starting five is probably still the best in the West but their complete and utter lack of reliable bench options hurts them. Though you don't need a particularly deep team for the playoffs, you need at least 8 reliable players to share minutes and can't rely on older players like Ish Smith, DeAndre or Jeff Green to be your key contributors when the time comes, and perhaps should not rely on Cancar being a big playoffs player. Bruce Brown is basically their only bench player that I could see performing well in the playoffs and being solid enough to grab 20-25 minutes there. They realistically need at least 2 if not 3 new players.

I doubt Nuggets will be in the business of adding picks, they need end of the bench rotation talent which they gave up last Summer to Wizards back. Their starting five is probably still the best in the West but their complete and utter lack of reliable bench options hurts them. Though you don't need a particularly deep team for the playoffs, you need at least 8 reliable players to share minutes and can't rely on older players like Ish Smith, DeAndre or Jeff Green to be your key contributors when the time comes, and perhaps should not rely on Cancar being a big playoffs player. Bruce Brown is basically their only bench player that I could see performing well in the playoffs and being solid enough to grab 20-25 minutes there. They realistically need at least 2 if not 3 new players.

That's what I assumed and the Wolves can actually provide that. You mentioned Reid but he is allegedly not available, the other option is the third FA that the Wolves need to deal with, Nowell, he is streaky but he is pretty good scorer. Then there is of course the likes of Knight or Prince but they are less valuable and Prince's salary doesn't match.

That's what I assumed and the Wolves can actually provide that. You mentioned Reid but he is allegedly not available, the other option is the third FA that the Wolves need to deal with, Nowell, he is streaky but he is pretty good scorer. Then there is of course the likes of Knight or Prince but they are less valuable and Prince's salary doesn't match.

Yeah hard to see that deal. Nowell for Hyland is a bit of a sideways move and Hyland definitely has way more value as he's under rookie contract while Nowell will probably want at least $8m a year in June and will be UFA from what I recall too.

Hyland's salary is so tiny that it's hard to see an exact deal where he's centerpiece, and Nuggets don't really have any salary fillers... hard to make a deal, very hard.

NBA is nuts sometimes, holy shit. So thats what, MB,CJ,JC and picks for KD? What a shift not gonna lie, Suns healthy before this were contenders now they are cemented imo, KD, CP, Booker and Ayden looks heavy on paper. Undisputed will be unbearable topic wise, every day it will be Suns vs LA shit.+

I blame Ja for this, they even more fine now.

With Nuggets and now Suns in the pole position spot, with Golden State, the Grizzlies and even the Lakers in the second tier… I mean, it depends on your expectations? Second round run?

With Nuggets and now Suns in the pole position spot, with Golden State, the Grizzlies and even the Lakers in the second tier… I mean, it depends on your expectations? Second round run?

The question is whether it improves the team or not. And the Wolves expectations aren't to be champions in 2023 or 2024.

The question is whether it improves the team or not. And the Wolves expectations aren't to be champions in 2023 or 2024.
Why trade away picks for years to come or trade for a 35 year old point guard if the expectation isn't to seriously compete now?

When it comes to Wolves and this might sound way of the mark but have a feeling that KAT has to go, its not his team and if thats the case, doubt he can stomach that. On top being weirdo and throwing some darts at AE.

Why trade away picks for years to come or trade for a 35 year old point guard if the expectation isn't to seriously compete now?

The trade for Conley was to keep D'lo's salary slot, the alternative was to lose it this summer and Conley's contract allows the team to move that slot to 2024 which matches with McDaniels and Edwards extensions. The Gobert trade was presumably to maximize KAT's window but KAT has been injured most of the season and he isn't coming back until the end of the month or early March by that point no one knows how fit he will be and how he will fit within a team that has totally shifted toward Edwards.

At this point I don't think that anyone expect the Wolves to be championship caliber until Edwards and hopefully McDaniels prime. I wouldn't be surprised if KAT is traded within 18 months.

Its actually funny, Nuggets thought they can glide a bit in the West, them seeing Bones trade as whatever, drafted and homegrown roster around Joker, MPJ and Muray to suddenly needing a wing really bad.

Also think healthy GSW are still top dogs when shit matters.

The trade for Conley was to keep D'lo's salary slot, the alternative was to lose it this summer and Conley's contract allows the team to move that slot to 2024 which matches with McDaniels and Edwards extensions. The Gobert trade was presumably to maximize KAT's window but KAT has been injured most of the season and he isn't coming back until the end of the month or early March by that point no one knows how fit he will be and how he will fit within a team that has totally shifted toward Edwards.

At this point I don't think that anyone expect the Wolves to be championship caliber until Edwards and hopefully McDaniels prime. I wouldn't be surprised if KAT is traded within 18 months.
I don't expect the Wolves to ever be championship calibre, I just reject the notion that you make the move they made for Gobert and then think it's reasonable to expect to just be a plucky play-off/play-in side for the next few years.

I don't expect the Wolves to ever be championship calibre, I just reject the notion that you make the move they made for Gobert and then think it's reasonable to expect to just be a plucky play-off/play-in side for the next few years.

You think that Wolves expect to be championship caliber without KAT for most of 2023? And you think that in February 2023, they don't understand that the Gobert deal was an overpay and doesn't catapult them to the top?

They have no reason to be stuck in summer 2022 and they aren't.

You think that Wolves expect to be championship caliber without KAT for most of 2023? And you think that in February 2023, they don't understand that the Gobert deal was an overpay and doesn't catapult them to the top?

They have no reason to be stuck in summer 2022 and they aren't.
Do you think they would be championship calibre if Karl Towns was healthy? I certainly don't. You don't trade 4 first round picks for a 30 year old if you're not expecting to compete shortly. I admire your optimism for your team but I wouldn't expect anything from an organisation who have made a habit of making terrible decisions.

That trade just made the Lakers serious imo, they are just good enough now where they can probably edge out most teams come the buy-out market.

Utah buying out Westbrook to then land back on the Lakers would be hilarious.

I completely forgot Suns could not send Ayton to Nets even if that was Nets preference… as Ayton is on a rookie max extension and so is Simmons, hence they cannot be on the same team.

Claxton is probably just as good as Ayton but I’d have maybe expected Nets to try and get some value from the market by trading Ayton to another team in the future. But that was not a possibility at all. I doubt they would be able to trade Simmons without attaching 2 picks either.

That trade just made the Lakers serious imo, they are just good enough now where they can probably edge out most teams come the buy-out market.

Utah buying out Westbrook to then land back on the Lakers would be hilarious.
He can’t go back to Lakers after he’s bought out, there are rules in place to prevent that.

Do you think they would be championship calibre if Karl Towns was healthy? I certainly don't. You don't trade 4 first round picks for a 30 year old if you're not expecting to compete shortly. I admire your optimism for your team but I wouldn't expect anything from an organisation who have made a habit of making terrible decisions.

I don't know what you are talking about. I say that in February 2023 the Wolves don't expect to be championship caliber in 2023 or 2024 and you are not happy. I say that the Wolves can't expect to be championship caliber without KAT and you say that I'm too optimistic.

Where exactly is the optimism?

I don't know what you are talking about. I say that in February 2023 the Wolves don't expect to be championship caliber in 2023 or 2024 and you are not happy. I say that the Wolves can't expect to be championship caliber without KAT and you say that I'm too optimistic.

I think Wolves will try to trade Towns in the off-season anyway. The team would make much sense if you could get a couple of good wings for him. I kind of think a trade with Raptors would make both teams much better, where you’d get VanVleet and Anunoby and they’d get Towns.

Because you're talking as if there is some grand plan, as if the Wolves knew the next couple of years were about building to competing further down the road. My point is that they made a bad trade because they believed it would make them contenders for a championship now. I do love Edwards though so that is the one area of hope, I suspect it will still require major re-tooling with probably Towns being traded to make that team make sense, the issue being that so many of the other assets you had have been traded in bad deals that making them a title contender any time soon is going to be difficult now.

It'll be interesting to see if any other teams in the West, particularly the Nuggets, Grizzlies and Warriors, feel like they now have to make a move to compete. The obvious one is Anunoby or Bridges to Memphis given that they have the assets to make such a move and improving the wing position is their main need.

@JPRouve Mate, take it easy :lol: February’s moves have always been for boom or bust sort of teams.

Because you're talking as if there is some grand plan, as if the Wolves knew the next couple of years were about building to competing further down the road. My point is that they made an idiotic trade because they believed it would make them contenders for a championship now. To be honest I don't know why I even bothered discussing them, I've probably just wasted both of our time talking about a team who aren't relevant.

It'll be interesting to see if any other teams in the West, particularly the Nuggets, Grizzlies and Warriors, feel like they now have to make a move to compete. The obvious one is Anunoby or Bridges to Memphis given that they have the assets to make such a move and improving the wing position is their main need.

Yeah I don't know why you bothered, you didn't need to quote me or imagine what I said in order to revisit the Gobert trade.

@JPRouve Mate, take it easy :lol: February’s moves have always been for boom or bust sort of teams.

The D'lo move is about his contract, nothing else. They only had two reasonable options trade him for something or extend him, letting him go for nothing this summer was a bad move when it comes to the cap.

I think Wolves will try to trade Towns in the off-season anyway. The team would make much sense if you could get a couple of good wings for him. I kind of think a trade with Raptors would make both teams much better, where you’d get VanVleet and Anunoby and they’d get Towns.

I don't know about the players that you mentioned but yeah, I think KAT is likely traded this off season.

I don't know about the players that you mentioned but yeah, I think KAT is likely traded this off season.

Well it won't be for that package anyway as FVV is a free agent in June.

Because you're talking as if there is some grand plan, as if the Wolves knew the next couple of years were about building to competing further down the road. My point is that they made a bad trade because they believed it would make them contenders for a championship now. I do love Edwards though so that is the one area of hope, I suspect it will still require major re-tooling with probably Towns being traded to make that team make sense, the issue being that so many of the other assets you had have been traded in bad deals that making them a title contender any time soon is going to be difficult now.

I don't think Anunoby is moved today. Raptors want a haul and he's not worth that (apparently they are looking for 1-2 promising young players + 2-3 good picks, either 1 + 3 or 2 + 2).

I completely forgot Suns could not send Ayton to Nets even if that was Nets preference… as Ayton is on a rookie max extension and so is Simmons, hence they cannot be on the same team.

Claxton is probably just as good as Ayton but I’d have maybe expected Nets to try and get some value from the market by trading Ayton to another team in the future. But that was not a possibility at all. I doubt they would be able to trade Simmons without attaching 2 picks either.
Ayton isn’t on the rookie max extension.

He’s on the 4 year max that we matched from the Pacers.