Nani's Ridiculous Red Card (not the one vs Real Madrid)

What a player. Selling him was the most criminal thing this club has done in the post Fergie era. One of my top 5 favourite players of all time.

I understand how bad that picture looks, but that picture is after Nani had gotten the ball first. He didn't even lunge in with force or anything. Its a soft yellow in my opinion but no way a red.

Yeah, we agree on that. Just saying it's not that bad a decision. Wrong decision yes but not outrageously wrong, IMO.

Certainly, I'd put the Real one much higher on my list.

As an aside Nani's hair-do is awesome.

... is one of the stupidest red card I have ever seen. How many times has it happened now? referees having a look at replays to review an incident and still managed to get the decision wrong after watching the close up, slowed down, multiple angle replays multiple times. Even your average football fans could see it even on their TV. He cried and I feel sorry for him because it was such an unfair red card.

Mind boogling.

As P.G.Wodehouse would say, I inspected my mind. He was right. It boogled.

Yeah, we agree on that. Just saying it's not that bad a decision. Wrong decision yes but not outrageously wrong, IMO.

Certainly, I'd put the Real one much higher on my list.

As an aside Nani's hair-do is awesome.
This. It's nowhere near as bad as the Madrid one. It's harsh, no doubt, but the follow through is there and when you watch a follow through connect on VAR's slow motion it makes it look worse for the refs.

Just another one to add to the ever-growing list of VAR feck ups.

What a player. Selling him was the most criminal thing this club has done in the post Fergie era. One of my top 5 favourite players of all time.
Wow you must be young. He was great for a couple of seasons, I agree we should have kept him another season.

His goal compilation video is next level, it's as good as anybodies.

Ha what? He had an excellent 18 month (or two years being generous) spell in the midst of seven years of frustration and inconsistency, and a club career that nose-dived straight after his departure. Good highlights reel though, and fair play for Euro 2016.

This. It's nowhere near as bad as the Madrid one. It's harsh, no doubt, but the follow through is there and when you watch a follow through connect on VAR's slow motion it makes it look worse for the refs.

Just another one to add to the ever-growing list of VAR feck ups.

Red tinted glasses aside, it's not even close. Nani had his foot lifted high without looking where he was going and doesn't even make contact with the ball. It was proper reckless. A red card is harsh but yellow would have been fair.

I don't think its a red, but its not a million miles off is it?

Its one of those ones where the player had no intention of hurting his opponent, but the still-frame looks really bad. Yellow was correct I think.

For every tackle that's been made you can find a still frame that makes it look reckless. It's a simple distortion of reality. Still frames provide no insight on force (volume or direction), the 3 different movements of the two players and the ball, what's happened before or what happens after.

In the ref's only defence, those replays do not shed much light on the tackle. And as you say the still frames he sees give the impression that Nani has slid, lost control and clattered the player's standing leg, which can be a dangerous scenario.

I think VAR has distorted my view of decisions like this, before I would have said no way but now it's like I've been conditioned to see the worst in everything. Even the Nani vs Madrid one looks quite bad to me now even though at the time I thought it was an outrageous decision :wenger: