Music Metallica 72 seasons (new album) || Lux Æterna (new song) out now

I prefer it to Hardwired as the first single off the new album. Better paying tribute to their influences than trying to "rediscover" the thrash roots of their early days.

It seems that Fidelman's production values have been carried on to this one, too. Not a fan, TBH, and if there's one word for it, that word would be sterilised.

It's good to see them having fun and enjoying themselves. No matter what some people think of them, they've earned their place in the heavy metal pantheon. A downside, for me, is that this led to the previous one sounding a bit all over the place. We'll see. A new album by Metallica is always big news. The genre's popularity will suffer a lot when the two behemoths call it a day (a day that, sadly, isn't that far away).
Who are the other one?

I think the genre will be fine. Metallica haven’t been ‘metal’ for years anyway.

Who are the other one?

I think the genre will be fine. Metallica haven’t been ‘metal’ for years anyway.

Iron Maiden, i thought it was obvious.

Musically, the genre will be OK. If anything, it's become a haven for musicians who want to experiment with their sound outside the limitation of the mainstream industry.

But these two still have the pull to bring new fans into the fold. That 10/20% who will try the heavier stuff and stick with it. Dream Theater, Opeth or Ulcerate, as great as they are, they don't have that kind of pull. Who can take up the baton? Bands like Slipknot or Disturbed are big in the US, but the rest of the world?

Iron Maiden, i thought it was obvious.

Musically, the genre will be OK. If anything, it's become a haven for musicians who want to experiment with their sound outside the limitation of the mainstream industry.

But these two still have the pull to bring new fans into the fold. That 10/20% who will try the heavier stuff and stick with it. Dream Theater, Opeth or Ulcerate, as great as they are, they don't have that kind of pull. Who can take up the baton? Bands like Slipknot or Disturbed are big in the US, but the rest of the world?
I’d say Metallica are far bigger than maiden tbf.

I get what you mean, it’s already the case that these acts should have been toppled by the newer bands ages ago. There isn’t a new maiden, new Metallica etc to take up the mantle which is why they’re still headlining festivals in their 60s and 70s.

The guitar tone seems off (maybe a production choice) but otherwise it's enjoyable enough.

They'll never reach the heights of Master of Puppets again imo but that's ok.
Definitely. I reckon the below, although Justice and Lightning can switch round at times. I never really listened beyond that after Hetfield's voice went.

I saw them live in c1990-92 as well:wenger:

Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
And Justice for All
Kill 'em All
Garage Inc

The guitar tone seems off (maybe a production choice) but otherwise it's enjoyable enough.

They'll never reach the heights of Master of Puppets again imo but that's ok.
What a bold statement to make about a band of 60 year olds

whatever about the new music They are still phenomenal live and well worth seeing

was a big fan of them up till the Black album. Don't really like anything after. Their best album imo still Ride the Lightning. Creeping Death one of the best song in a live concert.