Music Metallica 72 seasons (new album) || Lux Æterna (new song) out now

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Just dropped. New album "72 seasons" coming out in April.

Big fan of the band, but can't say I like this song. Crap lyrics and my God, Lars are these the best drum fills you could come up with!?
IIRC "My Apocalypse" was the first song released off Death Magnetic and that wasn't their best either, IMO.

What say the Caf?

James is genuinely getting better with age. Sadly, not true for Lars. Somehow Kirk sounds good here, but have seen some live stuff and he kinda looks done.

Thank God it sounds like music, unlike whatever the hell the mastering/snare drum was doing in Death Magnetic.

The guitar tone seems off (maybe a production choice) but otherwise it's enjoyable enough.

They'll never reach the heights of Master of Puppets again imo but that's ok.

It’s alright. Sounds like your run of the mill short rocker from post 1996 Metallica.

That’s Elon Musk’s next child’s name sorted.

Hang about... a Metallica song that's 3 minutes? What is this? 1983?

Hang about... a Metallica song that's 3 minutes? What is this? 1983?
How long was hardwired, the first single off the last record? Can’t have been much more than 3 minutes

He lost the ability to sing well years ago which explains the autotune. Most guys voices deteriorate massively in their mid fifties.

Hetfield has always been better when barking anyway. The justice album has his best stuff.

This track came on a new releases playlist on spotify yesterday, and before I looked at what track was actually playing, I was sure it was The Offspring. That verse is pop-punk as feck.

Can't say I like it, but I've not really liked anything by Metallica since the Black Album (though there's half a dozen reasonable songs spread across Load and Reload. 2x4 in particular is a banger).

They can still get fecked for the whole Napster thing though, 20+ years later.

Last edited:
Scarily, I'm going to see Metallica next year. My son wants to go to Download festival (I got him a ticket a couple of weeks back as a Christmas surprise and they're headlining. I'm not a fan of rock really but I can't deny I'm secretly looking forward to watching these guys.

That was a bit meh. I’ll of course still listen to the album, hopefully can get 1-2 songs from it to add to the collection. But Metallica ,as much as it pains me to say it, peaked long ago. Didn’t wow me at all, compared to when tool dropped their first song. Which is listened to over and over again for a week.

I was never a fan until I saw them at Glastonbury, they blew me away to be fair. One of the best gigs I've been to!

They get a lot of stick but I think they are one of the only 'metal' bands that can easily pull in fans from outside of the genre, hence why they played Glastonbury in the first place and were received very well.

I'm one of those that love Load and Reload etc. (and of course S&M) so i'm always going to defend them to some extend.

I was never a fan until I saw them at Glastonbury, they blew me away to be fair. One of the best gigs I've been to!

They are amazing live. They were my first big live experience in Chicago in 2007 and then saw them recently during their European tour and it feels just as good.

Bit of NWOBHM, but definitely more of the new stuff this sounds like... When it comes to recent things prefer Anthrax or Testament anyway. Not so long ago Paradise Lost dropped a decent Doom / Gothic album.

Veterans can still record somewhat listenable music, but you can see that part of the metal scene is a tired material, especially after Motorhead and Slayer ceased to exist.

Hopefully new album will be less boring than Hardwired. The less expectations, the better will it sound.

Sounds over produced and hyper clean. The riff sounds like Mötorhead and the Lars™ is a broken drum machine. Don't know why they have a bass player and Kirk is still running the same pentatonic scale runs he has been doing for 30 years. Love James but this is just bad.

In this regard they are a bit like U2. Will never reach their heights again but are still an incredible live band.

I’m finding a lot of these opinions quite strange hahah. How someone hears a double bass intro and thinks of the Offspring is beyond me. Also it’s very evident people don’t actually understand how auto tune works.

it’s a solid song. Don’t love the verse melody but the chorus is catchy and the main riff is an ear worm.

drum sound is fantastic and the parts well chosen.

To me it sounds very obvious that they’ve gone back and listened to their early catalog for inspiration. I hear Hit the Lights, as well as some stuff from their Garage Inc. covers. Motörhead’s overkill is obvious with the drum part and restarting of the riff. Also has a hint of Killing Time, as well as some diamond head stuff. The chorus melody reminds me of It’s Electric, for example.

I’m finding a lot of these opinions quite strange hahah. How someone hears a double bass intro and thinks of the Offspring is beyond me. Also it’s very evident people don’t actually understand how auto tune works.

it’s a solid song. Don’t love the verse melody but the chorus is catchy and the main riff is an ear worm.

drum sound is fantastic and the parts well chosen.

To me it sounds very obvious that they’ve gone back and listened to their early catalog for inspiration. I hear Hit the Lights, as well as some stuff from their Garage Inc. covers. Motörhead’s overkill is obvious with the drum part and restarting of the riff. Also has a hint of Killing Time, as well as some diamond head stuff. The chorus melody reminds me of It’s Electric, for example.

For auto tune to work properly don't you have to be way off the correct pitch?

Anyway, agree with all your comments. It's not a bad song, very listenable, but also I don't find it memorable either. I've heard it about 10 times and I still couldn't recall much of it aside from the chorus.

For auto tune to work properly don't you have to be way off the correct pitch?

Anyway, agree with all your comments. It's not a bad song, very listenable, but also I don't find it memorable either. I've heard it about 10 times and I still couldn't recall much of it aside from the chorus.

Not at all. autotune’s actual intention is to fix slight issues with pitch. When done correctly, you can’t hear it being used at all. James can generally sing these parts, and if there’s any auto tune it would be slight. The more likely thing is that he would’ve just done a lot of takes to nail it, seeing as they’re not limited on studio time or budget.

autotune ala T Pain sounds like that because it’s used for effect , rather than to just correct pitch. Often when people refer to auto tune they think of this scenario because you can obviously hear it. What they tend to miss is that it’s used purposefully as an effect rather than simply pitch correction. Metallica is definitely not using evident autotune for effect in this song.

I’m finding a lot of these opinions quite strange hahah. How someone hears a double bass intro and thinks of the Offspring is beyond me.
We didn't hear the double bass intro and thought "offspring", more so the pop-punk vibe of the vocal melody.

I’m finding a lot of these opinions quite strange hahah. How someone hears a double bass intro and thinks of the Offspring is beyond me.

Wasn't really paying attention to the intro when it came on the playlist, but when the verse kicked in with the rhythm guitar and vocal melody, it sounded rather pop punk-ish to me. Still does after a few more listens. There's a few bits where James' voice goes into a higher register, which sounds a little similar to the fella from the Offspring too.

Though it's not a particularly fast double-kick pattern in the intro either, 16th note kicks at that tempo are fairly common in punk.

Last edited:
I prefer it to Hardwired as the first single off the new album. Better paying tribute to their influences than trying to "rediscover" the thrash roots of their early days.

It seems that Fidelman's production values have been carried on to this one, too. Not a fan, TBH, and if there's one word for it, that word would be sterilised.

It's good to see them having fun and enjoying themselves. No matter what some people think of them, they've earned their place in the heavy metal pantheon. A downside, for me, is that this led to the previous one sounding a bit all over the place. We'll see. A new album by Metallica is always big news. The genre's popularity will suffer a lot when the two behemoths call it a day (a day that, sadly, isn't that far away).