Message from Becks

You can see that the request came from the heart. I think he deserves it considering we still sing for players who are neither legends nor United fans.

I don't see it (if I understand your point here). Ferguson began to get fed up with Beckham towards the latter's last season or two, but it wasn't as if he publicly fell out with him the way he did with Keane etc

The boot against Arsenal is obviously something people point out, but I feel that people tie that with Beckham getting benched in the run-in against Newcastle and Arsenal, and then Beckham leaving.

His performances were dropping and we could all see that. Solskjaer came in and put in arguably better performances (especially at St James park) than Beckham and put in in months. The point is that I don't think Beckham getting dropped had anything to do with animosity with Ferguson.

And Beckham going to Madrid, likewise, had little to do with personal animosity with Ferguson, in my opinion. Beckham had flirted with madrid for a couple of seasons before leaving. They were the bigger name (in his opinion) and a man who was all about the brand saw it as the right move for him. We shouldn't necessarily begrudge him that.

Im not entirely sure fans' loyalties to Ferguson was the reason Beckham doesn't seem to be as loved as others. Compare that with Roy Keane.
I imagine Victoria Beckham would have had a very big say in destinations. She is even more about brands and fashion - and his four moves to Madrid, Los Angeles, Milan and Paris seem ideal locations for that.

As I said in the other thread, Beckham gave his best years to us despite still being a top player when he left for Real Madrid. And he clearly has more love for United than any other club he played for. A definite legend in my eyes.

Probably not as revered because he angled for a move away from United in what should have been his prime.

Erm no he didn't. Can we not spread nonsense. He was literally forced out of the club by SAF.

Beckham:

“Over the years the manager had always made the right decision in his eyes for the team, and the club,” Beckham reflected, on the latest episode of The Overlap. “That happened to me in the end, I didn’t want to leave Manchester United at the time - we’d just won the league again, but all of a sudden I get a phone call to be told that Manchester United had agreed a deal, and that was the end of it.

“Even trying to speak to the manager after that, he didn’t want to talk to me. It wasn’t out of spite, he was on holiday, he didn’t want to be contacted, he’d made his decision and that was the end of it.

“At that point where the manager was telling me to do things and I wasn’t doing them, I suppose it goes back to when we talked about getting an agent and he told me to go with someone, he wanted me to go with someone and I didn’t – I went with someone he didn’t agree with. That was a tough moment for us.”

SAF:

"David was the only player I managed who chose to be famous, who made it his mission to be known outside the game," wrote Ferguson. "I felt uncomfortable with the celebrity aspect of his life."

"The minute a Manchester United player thought he was bigger than the manager, he had to go," he wrote. "David thought he was bigger than Alex Ferguson.

"That was the death knell for him."

Ran himself into the ground for England from 2001 onwards, barely jogged about in a United shirt during the same period, so much he was rightly dropped by Fergie. Was clearly looking to leave.

What nonsense is this?

He grew up supporting United and was in the club from an early age.

It's not nonsense. He obviously knows what the colours are. I have my doubts that he knew what they meant under the given circumstances.

He at least denied knowledge afterwards, because it was taken as a gesture against the Glazers.

I don't subscribe to the idea that he's some sort of two plank thicko.

In an age when you read about former Premier League footballers going bankrupt every other week, he's made some very wise choices.

He was laughed at when he chucked in Madrid for LA. He walked away with the rights to an MLS franchise.

He's no mug, that lad.

I'm going to watch him eat those chicken wings now.

Flash cockney, it's sickening how racist Northerners are to Londoners. Sickening.
Yeah its almost as if they've had to watch their communities shattered, their towns and cities impoverished and their culture ridiculed all at the expense of a country run with the success of 1 place in mind.

Can't fathom it at all.

One of the worst channels on YouTube. Beyond idiotic format. Typical American idea of "Oh like gosh, thats like so funny, like you know?"

It's indeed strange how Beckham is still a huge name in football but somehow not as huge with us.
Then again, when he played that CL tie for Milan @ Old Trafford...the admiration for him was intense.
Him putting the yellow-green scarf on was a bit odd to see. Not being the brightest, he most likely had no idea what it meant. Bless him.

Seriously? With all the influencers and Jake Pauls and whatnots? All the shitty prank pages? The ones who steal content and add a song, leaving you with a fecked up video with three incompatible songs layered?

It’s a fun interview format, you need to lighten up :lol:

I don't see it (if I understand your point here). Ferguson began to get fed up with Beckham towards the latter's last season or two, but it wasn't as if he publicly fell out with him the way he did with Keane etc

The boot against Arsenal is obviously something people point out, but I feel that people tie that with Beckham getting benched in the run-in against Newcastle and Arsenal, and then Beckham leaving.

His performances were dropping and we could all see that. Solskjaer came in and put in arguably better performances (especially at St James park) than Beckham and put in in months. The point is that I don't think Beckham getting dropped had anything to do with animosity with Ferguson.

And Beckham going to Madrid, likewise, had little to do with personal animosity with Ferguson, in my opinion. Beckham had flirted with madrid for a couple of seasons before leaving. They were the bigger name (in his opinion) and a man who was all about the brand saw it as the right move for him. We shouldn't necessarily begrudge him that.

Im not entirely sure fans' loyalties to Ferguson was the reason Beckham doesn't seem to be as loved as others. Compare that with Roy Keane.
Watch the Netflix documentary. Saf wanted him out, wouldn't speak to him etc. Becks wanted to stay.

Yeah its almost as if they've had to watch their communities shattered, their towns and cities impoverished and their culture ridiculed all at the expense of a country run with the success of 1 place in mind.

Can't fathom it at all.
And whose fault is that?

Immigrants, transgender people, refugees, feminists, cancel culture, benefits claimants, the list goes on.

And whose fault is that?

Immigrants, transgender people, refugees, feminists, cancel culture, benefits claimants, the list goes on.
Are you a teenager? It's been 50 years of decline, 50 years of de-industrialisation and an economy based on banking and services.

All you've done is list today's distraction topics.

Ran himself into the ground for England from 2001 onwards, barely jogged about in a United shirt during the same period, so much he was rightly dropped by Fergie. Was clearly looking to leave.

Probably. I think most fans just had enough of the circus. And he loved being a celeb. Also it annoyed me how much he wanted to be loved by the same fans who burned effigies of him.

Probably not as revered because he angled for a move away from United in what should have been his prime.

Nonsense.

He was United through and through and grew up idolising the club with Robson his favourite player.

Fergie got rid because he'd had enough of the Posh & Becks circus.

I chose to believe Sir Alex. I do believe Beckham decided to chase fame over everything.

I still remember those email leaks where he was pissed off with the honours committee because he didnt get a knighthood after everything he had done. I dunno I just couldnt warm to the guy.

Mind you that James Corden prank on him is still funny to watch to this day.

Seriously? With all the influencers and Jake Pauls and whatnots? All the shitty prank pages? The ones who steal content and add a song, leaving you with a fecked up video with three incompatible songs layered?

It’s a fun interview format, you need to lighten up :lol:

All channels that deal mainly in a) reactions, b) pranks, c) clickbait and d) "influencers" vlogging are crimes against humanity. In a world far away and better than what we have, these people are held accountable. In ours they are not.

This one is not much better. Oh, let's "interview" a celebrity and make him eat spicy stuff so we can all laugh at a struggling celebrity. Isn't that great. Isn't that so "like yeah, you know like, funny".

This idea of "lighten up, it ain't that bad" is responsible for things becoming so bad. We need a no applause for bullshit committee, in order to name and shame the offenders. I don't want to see one of ours sitting there and making a fool of himself. Philosopher Ten Hag would call that having "standards".

All channels that deal mainly in a) reactions, b) pranks, c) clickbait and d) "influencers" vlogging are crimes against humanity. In a world far away and better than what we have, these people are held accountable. In ours they are not.

This one is not much better. Oh, let's "interview" a celebrity and make him eat spicy stuff so we can all laugh at a struggling celebrity. Isn't that great. Isn't that so "like yeah, you know like, funny".

This idea of "lighten up, it ain't that bad" is responsible for things becoming so bad. We need a no applause for bullshit committee, in order to name and shame the offenders. I don't want to see one of ours sitting there and making a fool of himself. Philosopher Ten Hag would call that having "standards".

It’s a way to make the interview setting less formal. You can’t tell me we’d get the same interview if it was a regular sit down.

You do you, but good lord what a miserable outlook on a benign thing.

Why does it feel as though Forlan had his name sung longer after retirement when David Beckham did?

I wonder why Beckham (as beloved as he was an is), isn't even more treasured by United fans?
Because he put England and himself before the club. Fame consumed him, so he didn’t look all in for United.