Message from Becks

crossy1686

career ending
He recently appeared on Hot Ones (where a celebrity gets interviewed while eating 10 progressively hotter wings) and he had a message for the OT faithful:

Full video here if anyone wants to watch the entire thing:

Why does it feel as though Forlan had his name sung longer after retirement when David Beckham did?

I wonder why Beckham (as beloved as he was an is), isn't even more treasured by United fans?

Why does it feel as though Forlan had his name sung longer after retirement when David Beckham did?

I wonder why Beckham (as beloved as he was an is), isn't even more treasured by United fans?
Flash cockney, it's sickening how racist Northerners are to Londoners. Sickening.

Probably not as revered because he angled for a move away from United in what should have been his prime.

The fanbase is petrified by the ghost of Fergie.

Probably not as revered because he angled for a move away from United in what should have been his prime.
He did. To both Barcelona and Real Madrid, abd eventually got his move to Madrid.

But he wasn't the only one to do that. And he wasn't as outspoken about it as others.

The fanbase is petrified by the ghost of Fergie.
I don't see it (if I understand your point here). Ferguson began to get fed up with Beckham towards the latter's last season or two, but it wasn't as if he publicly fell out with him the way he did with Keane etc

The boot against Arsenal is obviously something people point out, but I feel that people tie that with Beckham getting benched in the run-in against Newcastle and Arsenal, and then Beckham leaving.

His performances were dropping and we could all see that. Solskjaer came in and put in arguably better performances (especially at St James park) than Beckham and put in in months. The point is that I don't think Beckham getting dropped had anything to do with animosity with Ferguson.

And Beckham going to Madrid, likewise, had little to do with personal animosity with Ferguson, in my opinion. Beckham had flirted with madrid for a couple of seasons before leaving. They were the bigger name (in his opinion) and a man who was all about the brand saw it as the right move for him. We shouldn't necessarily begrudge him that.

Im not entirely sure fans' loyalties to Ferguson was the reason Beckham doesn't seem to be as loved as others. Compare that with Roy Keane.

Absolute legend and he’s right, bizarre we still sing Ronaldo but Becks never gets a mention.
I think it's mostly down to Becks not having a catchy song. We used to sing more about Park than the likes of Keano because it had a dig at the scousers in it. Becks never really got his own song, I guess it's hard to rhyme? We never sing about Scholes or Giggs either.

I think it's mostly down to Becks not having a catchy song. We used to sing more about Park than the likes of Keano because it had a dig at the scousers in it. Becks never really got his own song, I guess it's hard to rhyme? We never sing about Scholes or Giggs either.
People are really underrating this factor.

He was one of the few players of yours that I didn't mind, at that time. He was a marketing man's dream but behind it all was a relentless will to win. He'd have suited the game nowadays as his energy and on-the-ball ability was top tier!

Yeah I was about to post this too. It’s definitely the reason why. I guess Giggs does have a couple songs but there may be another reason why people stopped singing anything other than the Viera song that features his name.

Nailed on that some scandal will come out soon now about him having an affair or what not, followed by a bellowing “there’s only one David Beckham” at the next match

That’s the reason he’s not as revered as… checks notes… Cristiano Ronaldo? Are you sure you’ve thought this through?
I’m not even sure I would have said he angled for the move either. He even said that in his last time at training, he went to Fergies office to tell him he didn’t want to leave.

I think it probably hurt more him leaving at that time though because he was homegrown - Ronaldo was always going to leave at some point, it was just about delaying it as much as possible

Trouble is, it's just not got that rhythm or the originality that the old favourite chants have. It's sadly a bit too generic and obvious to be a proper all-time United fan favourite.

That said, I expect it will get a good few choruses now he's asked.

What even is your Beckham song?
"One David Beckham,
There’s Only One David Beckham,
There’s Only One David Beckham!"
- to the tune of Guantanamera.

Like I said, it's a bit too generic and obvious.

"One David Beckham,

The real question is why did we never love him enough to bother writing a verse.

One of the worst channels on YouTube. Beyond idiotic format. Typical American idea of "Oh like gosh, thats like so funny, like you know?"

It's indeed strange how Beckham is still a huge name in football but somehow not as huge with us.
Then again, when he played that CL tie for Milan @ Old Trafford...the admiration for him was intense.
Him putting the yellow-green scarf on was a bit odd to see. Not being the brightest, he most likely had no idea what it meant. Bless him.

He was wildly popular with kids and women from when I remember, there was a bit of suspicion around from match going reds that he was getting more media coverage than better players such as Keane, Scholes, Giggs etc.

Those kids back then are probably in late 20s early 30s now.

He got an extraordinary reception when he returned with Milan - there's no doubting the regard he's held in at OT

You've just got a boring song Dave thats all

"One David Beckham,

Wasn't Robson's the same tune, who he says we do sing? I haven't actually heard Robbo's name being sung in a long time either, not that I go to games anymore.

It's just the tune for me. Some players have bad ones or barely a chant at all.

Rio! Rio! Rio!

Schmeichel, Schmeichel, Whoah-oah oah-oah oh

Not much love for Denis Irwin either, just the 2 Unlimted "No Limits" tune that City later adopted for Yaya and Kolo Toure and it never really took off for Irwin, certaninly not sung now

Yeah Becks definitely hasn't had enough adulation in his life.

He does have a better one that gets a very occasional outing in the pubs:

david beckham went to france, as a national hero,
got sent off and he came home, reputation zero.

england fans they're all the same, they get so excited,
stick your england up your arse, cos we are man united.....

But i've never heard that in the ground.

Some players names just lend themselves to songs, sometimes it's specific moment or combative style or perceived character that fans respond too. Beckham is well liked and admired, seen as one of the best at ball delivery.

There was a lot of noise from his wife about Manchester not being London, Milan Paris which annoyed people at the time, his persona was getting more media and fashion orientated.

"One David Beckham,

He was unlucky. He got the one Cuban revolutionary folk song that drives you the most nuts in the long run. He should rather have got:

Aqui se queda la clara
La entrañable transparencia
De tu querida presencia
Comandante David Beckham

After all, with Sir Matt as Jose Marti and Sir Alex as the onvious Fidel Castro, Becks was the natural candidate after Eric to play the role of Che Guevara, complete with cigars, merch and martyrhood (shoed down by Big Boss). He was even taken by the Yankees in the end.

Expect a revolt in Qatar any day now.