Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

He had at least 2 good seasons and last season Chelsea as a whole was a mess. But fans like you love to moan and write off players after 2 games, I am sure you would have sold Vidic or Evra right away
That's the difference between a supporter and a fan, isn't it. Easy to see. Fcuking "fans" eh.

Mount wasnt signed for his ability on the ball, but what he brings off the ball. Crazy i know but it is what it is. For ETH system, he needs players who can do the non stop pressing. Thats what mount brings, industry, energy, work rate, pressing etc.

£50mil is nuts for what he brings, but in the right system its priceless. Liverpool wanted him? Why? because they needed to replace the industry, energy, work rate, pressing of henderson and winjaldium.

Im not a fan of his, but willing to give him a chance. Once hojilund, amrabat, onana etc all bed in and play together, we might better understand why ETH signed him.
Exactly, let's judge the player when everyone is actually playing in the system he was signed for.

He’s had one good season in 4 (now 5) in the premier league. It’s not like he’s just waiting to move to a big club to show how good he is.

That’s just utter bollocks, he’s had one poor season. I also like how you’re stating now 5 after 2 games, some real top class support for our player there.

Mount wasnt signed for his ability on the ball, but what he brings off the ball. Crazy i know but it is what it is. For ETH system, he needs players who can do the non stop pressing. Thats what mount brings, industry, energy, work rate, pressing etc.

£50mil is nuts for what he brings, but in the right system its priceless. Liverpool wanted him? Why? because they needed to replace the industry, energy, work rate, pressing of henderson and winjaldium.

Im not a fan of his, but willing to give him a chance. Once hojilund, amrabat, onana etc all bed in and play together, we might better understand why ETH signed him.

How are Mount and Amrabat going to play in the same team though? Are you envisaging we move to a 4-2-2-2 formation? Otherwise, have to assume it will usually be a choice between Amrabat or Mount, as Casemiro and Bruno will surely start.

How are Mount and Amrabat going to play in the same team though? Are you envisaging we move to a 4-2-2-2 formation? Otherwise, have to assume it will usually be a choice between Amrabat or Mount, as Casemiro and Bruno will surely start.

Whatever about who starts, I suspect something we'll see quite often during games is Amrabat coming on for Antony and Bruno shifting out to RW (even though I know people don't like when he does).

Whatever about who starts, I suspect something we'll see quite often during games is Amrabat coming on for Antony and Bruno shifting out to RW (even though I know people don't like when he does).

Yeah, I suppose that’s the other possible way of fitting them all in - play Bruno (or maybe Mount) right side in a 4-2-3-1. Agree that could be a common move if it’s Amrabat who starts as sub and possibly from the start in tougher away games.

I think one of the issues with this signing, from a supporter perspective, is that it epitomises United's recent 'marquee' transfers:

Player comes in for big money -> club hypes him up massively -> does nothing

Supporters are just sick of our marquee signings ending up being absolutely rubbish. This is absolutely not helped, at all, by the fact that prior to Mount's transfer, he wasn't lighting the place on fire at a club or national levels. A section of supporters are, justifiably, expecting him to be 'one of those' signings; based on his pre-season and first few games in a United shirt where he has been nothing short of dreadful.

Additionally, by assigning him the #7 shirt, (and the hype by United), also, I feel fans are expecting him to be a 'lock' on a place in the starting XI - irrespective of what shite he turns out on the field.

Last edited:

I hope you're right. I've watched Mount while he was at Chelsea and now and I still cannot figure out what his position is or what he excels at. He's the epitome of "a jack of all trades but a master of none". He's a skilled player but I just don't know where on the field he belongs.

Well, "in the right system" is a pretty important detail. We should have considered if we had the right system for him to flourish before signing him, and Mount partnering Bruno and a physically declining Casemiro was not the right balance.

Liverpool would have made more sense for him at the start of the window as they didn't have any attack minded midfielders or numbers 10s in their squad so there was a gap in that team for him to fill. The problem with United is Bruno already plays his position and he's just not the right player to go alongside him.

Some of the criticism in this thread is deplorable.

You'd think we signed a non-footballer to a contract.

He’s had one good season in 4 (now 5) in the premier league. It’s not like he’s just waiting to move to a big club to show how good he is.
Were you trying to parody an idiotic post, or did you just arrive there organically?

Tifo I RL covered this in their video on why Utd want amrabat. While Mount is out injured not an issue as we can play a double pivot. When Mount comes back, it depends on what ETH wants to do. He could move Mount or Bruno to RW or get them to switch during games etc. It gives ETH options. Bruno on the right isnt crazy as it sounds btw, as his crossing is good anxld hojilund will need service from both flanks.

Personally i think amrabat will come in and become very difficult to dislodge.

I think one of the issues with this signing, from a supporter perspective, is that it epitomises United's recent 'marquee' transfers:

Player comes in for big money -> club hypes him up massively -> does nothing

Supporters are just sick of our marquee signings ending up being absolutely rubbish. This is absolutely not helped, at all, by the fact that prior to Mount's transfer, he wasn't lighting the place on fire at a club or national levels. A section of supporters are, justifiably, expecting him to be 'one of those' signings; based on his pre-season and first few games in a United shirt where he has been nothing short of dreadful.

Additionally, by assigning him the #7 shirt, (and the hype by United), also, I feel fans are expecting him to be a 'lock' on a place in the starting XI - irrespective of what shite he turns out on the field.

Why get angry at the player ?

The club has no competent footballing infrastructure in place since SAF retired. Pretty much most our signings under perform and fans turn on either the manager or the player.

It’s like Groundhog Day, you can set a clock around the 12-18 month mark where cracks begin. That said , now that DDG has left, certain fans need a fallguy so Mount seems as good as any i guess.

Even though I was dubious of the signing Im willing to give Mount time to settle in. FFS, the whole team is playing sh*te, it’s not like he’s surrounded by players at the top of their game.

Why get angry at the player ?

The club has no competent footballing infrastructure in place since SAF retired. Pretty much most our signings under perform and fans turn on either the manager or the player.

It’s like Groundhog Day, you can set a clock around the 12-18 month mark where cracks begin. That said , now that DDG has left, certain fans need a fallguy so Mount seems as good as any i guess.

Even though I was dubious of the signing Im willing to give Mount time to settle in. FFS, the whole team is playing sh*te, it’s not like he’s surrounded by players at the top of their game.
Agree the problem is the football structure, and nothing we have seen from Arnold and co suggests its any better. Great article in Guarfian by Barnay Ronay titled 'Ten years on from the Fellani window, age of waste goes on'. Its a must read, pretty damning but entirely fair.

Despite all the evidence elsewhere, we seem incapable of building a proper scouting and recruitment structure that is coherent and designed to provide continuity and survive changes in manager. We horribly overpaid for many players and then compound with insane wages. How did we sign VDB, a player so woefully unsuitable to the premier league and indeed so bad noone seems to want him. Mount is not to be blamed but there are very legitimate questions to be asked about his signing vs other priorities and the failure to move on the likes of McT and Maguire. Only at the last second do we have cover for Casimero and there are still too many players (Rashford and Bruno for example) who were more suited to the Ole sit deep and break approach than ETH's more measured one. In that case it not clear we can afford a Mount like player who is very much dependant on the rest of the system working. If it doesnt, as we saw vs Wolves and second half vs Spurs, he is bypassed and invisible. I cant believe we showed no interest in Maddison as an upgrade on Eriksen, a player that is comfortable receiving the ball deep, can beat players, has a good pass and even score. We could have got Amrabat in much earlier rather than embarrasing frantic late scrambles (again). So its not right to blame a Mount or ETH, though its disappointing in the latter case to see his need to buy players he knows (Amrabat played for him, so another one). Maguire in particular I never wnat to see in a United shirt again, but the club failed to be ruthless.

You guys are insane. Knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread.

I believe Mount is a better player than Amrabat.

One has been weirdly overhyped and the other has already started to be scapegoated after 2 games - witness some of the idiocy in this thread.

Let's see how we're looking once the season settles down. I think he'll turn out fine for us.

That's saved me post, very well summarised. As a match going Red of 40 years it staggers me how little faith some of our fans have in what ETH is putting together. In Mount... a team always needs players who will do the spade work (Fletcher, Butt etc) so the the others can shine. I like this Manager, he reminds me of when Fergie came in and had to change the mentality, it took time though so people need to be patient.

That’s just utter bollocks, he’s had one poor season. I also like how you’re stating now 5 after 2 games, some real top class support for our player there.
:lol: I’ve been saying this since before we signed him! People like you think he’s going to get good because we’ve signed him, utter delusion.

Were you trying to parody an idiotic post, or did you just arrive there organically?
For a player that plays in an attacking part of the pitch, what return would you expect in order for him to have had a ‘good’ season at a club like United or Chelsea?

Over 10 goals and assists? Fair right? For a player that plays off the striker, Mount has achieved that once in his career.

If you guys want to sit around patting yourselves on the back because you ‘support’ a player that doesn’t do much playing for us then you’re equally part of the problem. This notion that nothing can be questioned is absurd.

There’s not a single United fan that doesn’t want Mount to succeed but I’m telling you he won’t and we’ll buy ‘competition’ for his place next summer when this experiment has failed.

Trying to build a system around 1 player when the rest don't fit that system is going to be difficult. So is Mount going to be converted into a different player so far that no one else has spotted. E.T.H. has some difficult decisions ahead.

Will he play Real today? An unfit Greenwood is probably better than what they got.

Will he play Real today? An unfit Greenwood is probably better than what they got.
Wrong Mason, you're thinking of that wonderful youth product who we let go. This is the thread for that horrible human being who played for Chelsea.

Last edited:

If he's signed as a backup to Bruno that's fine. Otherwise where does he fit? We've already seen he's hopeless alongside Bruno, constantly tripping over him and offering nowhere near the productivity whilst being a liability defensively.

Henderson and Wijnaldum both worked because they were competent defensively, both in positioning and winning the ball back. Mount is non existent in that phase of a game.

I think ETH expected much more from him and the Amrabat signing would not have happened had he not been so poor so far.

I’m not writing him off after 2 games, I’m writing him off after 4 seasons in the PL where I’ve seen him play most weeks and for England.

I’m moaning because fans like you say we have to give players who’ve had one good season (over 10 goals and over 10 assists in a single season as an attacking player) more time to ‘settle in’. Reality is going to come crashing down around you at some point.

Funny this is what you said about Dan James after his 2nd shit season in a row:

"He can do a job I guess and we need players that can do a job every now and again. Not every player needs to be a game winner."

2 games in and so many of you are already getting your scapegoats in for the season.

If he's signed as a backup to Bruno that's fine. Otherwise where does he fit? We've already seen he's hopeless alongside Bruno, constantly tripping over him and offering nowhere near the productivity whilst being a liability defensively.
You can't draw that conclusion yet.

If ETH's system is based on the defence pushing up so the team plays in the opponent's half, with the attackers pressing to win possession, and all key players having precise roles and positions in that pattern of play, so we actually have in effect a ton of players in the midfield and attacking roles, and he's signed new players to help make all that work and non of that is happening properly yet because players are still learning it all at the start of the season, then how on earth can you draw any conclusions about how good or bad those new players are?

What of course you can do - and so many "fans" are doing, is have a personal idea of how ETH should play, advocate for players who make that all look great in your mind's eye, and then castigate those players and ETH or the magic "Director of Football" for not signing them.

The balance in the force. Question is where does that leave mount ? Rotation with Bruno? Antony ? 60m for a rotation option is probably a bit mental though.

You can't draw that conclusion yet.

If ETH's system is based on the defence pushing up so the team plays in the opponent's half, with the attackers pressing to win possession, and all key players having precise roles and positions in that pattern of play, so we actually have in effect a ton of players in the midfield and attacking roles, and he's signed new players to help make all that work and non of that is happening properly yet because players are still learning it all at the start of the season, then how on earth can you draw any conclusions about how good or bad those new players are?

What of course you can do - and so many "fans" are doing, is have a personal idea of how ETH should play, advocate for players who make that all look great in your mind's eye, and then castigate those players and ETH or the magic "Director of Football" for not signing them.

Mount is not a new player to the league. We know what he is. He was brought in to replace Eriksen, a player who provides excellent progression but whose legs have almost gone. ETH was hoping to have a player who provides the progression but had the workrate to help Casemiro in defensive transitions. Mount has the ability to progress play but he has ghosted around the pitch for years for Chelsea and England, he is never going to be positionally or defensively adept enough to do what we need when the game turns against us.

Funny this is what you said about Dan James after his 2nd shit season in a row:

"He can do a job I guess and we need players that can do a job every now and again. Not every player needs to be a game winner."

2 games in and so many of you are already getting your scapegoats in for the season.
"2 games in..." this is the most short sighted notion being repeated in this thread.

It's 4 seasons in not 2 games, and Dan James at least grabbed the occasional goal and cost £15m. He also didn't get in the way of our good players doing their jobs either.