Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

I don't think Mount was bad for the first half vs Spurs.

The entire team was tripe against Wolves and I don't see that as a mount issue. I also see no value whatsoever in evaluating from two games.
Never said he was bad or even worse than anyone else. Mount is clearly a decent player all things considered, however not seeing how this type of midfielder was ever what we were lacking and desperately needed. To me it feels like he is another attempt at adding this hardworking, neat and tidy, attacking mid player we hoped for when signing players like Donny and Sabitzer. We could perhaps even stretch a bit and go back to the days of Kagawa and Mkhitaryan. Also roughly similar in style and quality. It just doesnt´t seem to work very well for us for some reason.

As you said, only been 2 games so far and we should perhaps be careful in digging too deep into this matter yet. The team needs more time.
But having said that, my thoughts (and fears) about his suitabililty before he arrived was pretty much confirmed in the 2 games we have seen so far, imo.

I hope we're ruthless and just get rid of him after an expected abysmal year.

If this shower of shite put out performances like he did in the first few games for United at a team like Madrid, Bayern, Juve etc. he'd be gone next transfer window.

Last edited:
I hope we're ruthless and just get of him after an expected abysmal year.

If this shower of shite put out performances like he did in the first few games for United at a team like Madrid, Bayern, Juve etc. he'd be gone next transfer window.
Woodgate was at Madrid for 2 years before they loaned him out, and he had one of the all-time worst debuts.

Mount has played well. The problem has been the system

Wow, this seems to be personal for you!

Tbf based on the attitude of his posts he may actually be an 8 year old child. In which case clowns failing to be entertaining would be a constant source of frustration.

Just until one season he was their best player, won the CL and had excellent creative output
He wasn't their best player, the fans just haven't had an academy player make it since JT and naturally enjoy him more than other players. Worse players have won a CL, it doesn't mean anything, but he did have a good season that particular season but he also didn't win it for them on his own, he wasn't playing some kind of Gerrard role for Chelsea during his time there. Having a good season 3 seasons ago doesn't help us today.

And his creative output is 27 goals and 22 assists in his 4 full seasons at Chelsea. That is not 'excellent' by any metric.

55+5 add ons would have gotten us Amrabat and Tidibo, let that sink in.

We should have walked away after our first bid was rejected, he's isn't worth what we paid.

Fingers crossed he comes into a better performing team playing well and winning…basically the ideal scenario to be rotated in. Then he deserves all season to get his act together. I’d be more than satisfied if he was a justified started by Jan/feb.

He wasn't their best player, the fans just haven't had an academy player make it since JT and naturally enjoy him more than other players. Worse players have won a CL, it doesn't mean anything, but he did have a good season that particular season but he also didn't win it for them on his own, he wasn't playing some kind of Gerrard role for Chelsea during his time there. Having a good season 3 seasons ago doesn't help us today.

And his creative output is 27 goals and 22 assists in his 4 full seasons at Chelsea. That is not 'excellent' by any metric.
He literally was voted POTY at Chelsea. And there was a stat showing in terms of creativity he was in the top 3 or 4

Tbf based on the attitude of his posts he may actually be an 8 year old child. In which case clowns failing to be entertaining would be a constant source of frustration.

Oh how standards have dropped; when the criticisms of mediocrity are shunned, and acceptance is the way forward. . .

I'm a child because I think Mount is an utter waste of money and not fit to wear our shirt? This is a discussion forum, where, you know, shit gets discussed?

Because someone's not of the opinion of you, it's time to insult and berate the poster? Isn't that, you know, against forum policy?

He literally was voted POTY at Chelsea. And there was a stat showing in terms of creativity he was in the top 3 or 4

But, wasn't the best player... Nepotism, and being 'one of their own', got him the POTY.

People don't rule out Mount as a No. 8 based on 2 games. It is based on Mount's performances in Chelsea for the whole 22-23 season, England, and Mount's own skillset.

Let's be honest Man Utd fans - when we played against Chelsea, have we ever been "scared" of Mount as our opponents? I have never heard of fans scaring of him

If we need to give 50 games' failure to determine that a player is not good enough for us, we will end up in the championship.
Mount is a systems player. Opposing teams weren't "scared" of Carrick either, but he was the glue that made our system work at the time, as all United fans knew at the time, back when our fans understood how teams worked. Mount isn't the same player in the same role of course, but I suspect he's been signed for a similar systems reason - as a key component in us playing that high line, keeping the ball in the opponent's half. If so, can we at least give all the parts a chance to come together before judging him?

The difference is, Arsenal always play Partey at right back, who plays a hybrid DM/RB role for them. Which means they often have midfield pair of Rice and Partey behind Odegaard and Havertz.

We've been asking Shaw to invert next to Casemiro, so not too much of a difference. TAA does it for Pool, Cancelo (previously) and Lewis / others now for City.

I think it's a question of finding the fullback with that skillset - they've become a relatively rare commodity, so it's easier to stick a defensive mid at RB instead.

We've been asking Shaw to invert next to Casemiro, so not too much of a difference. TAA does it for Pool, Cancelo (previously) and Lewis / others now for City.

I think it's a question of finding the fullback with that skillset - they've become a relatively rare commodity, so it's easier to stick a defensive mid at RB instead.
We simply don't have full back with such skillset. Maybe we have convert one of our DM to full back role or something, but I am not sure if it works at all.

We simply don't have full back with such skillset. Maybe we have convert one of our DM to full back role or something, but I am not sure if it works at all.

Why do you think Shaw lacks that skillset? His technique / passing is top notch but yeah obviously a lot more to it than just technique / passing.

Dalot played the role against Forrest and had a good game there I thought.

Mount is a systems player. Opposing teams weren't "scared" of Carrick either, but he was the glue that made our system work at the time, as all United fans knew at the time, back when our fans understood how teams worked. Mount isn't the same player in the same role of course, but I suspect he's been signed for a similar systems reason - as a key component in us playing that high line, keeping the ball in the opponent's half. If so, can we at least give all the parts a chance to come together before judging him?

We've had great luck with those in the past.

Kagawa
Mkhitaryan
VDB
Sancho

All atrocious signings

Why do you think Shaw lacks that skillset? His technique / passing is top notch but yeah obviously a lot more to it than just technique / passing.

Dalot played the role against Forrest and had a good game there I thought.
Well they are good at overlapping runs but those are very much wing back play. I am not convinced they have it as DM, you know, positioning and tactical sense and all that.

He’s had one good season in 4 (now 5) in the premier league. It’s not like he’s just waiting to move to a big club to show how good he is.
He had at least 2 good seasons and last season Chelsea as a whole was a mess. But fans like you love to moan and write off players after 2 games, I am sure you would have sold Vidic or Evra right away

He had at least 2 good seasons and last season Chelsea as a whole was a mess. But fans like you love to moan and write off players after 2 games, I am sure you would have sold Vidic or Evra right away
I’m not writing him off after 2 games, I’m writing him off after 4 seasons in the PL where I’ve seen him play most weeks and for England.

I’m moaning because fans like you say we have to give players who’ve had one good season (over 10 goals and over 10 assists in a single season as an attacking player) more time to ‘settle in’. Reality is going to come crashing down around you at some point.

Our fans suck. What the hell is this post. We're supposed to be welcoming players in, not hoping for their fall. This forum for 3 years, accepted anything VDB did without even knowing how he played. Here we have a players who is young and has played well in his career and we have fans like this. Just trash

I’m not writing him off after 2 games, I’m writing him off after 4 seasons in the PL where I’ve seen him play most weeks and for England.

I’m moaning because fans like you say we have to give players who’ve had one good season (over 10 goals and over 10 assists in a single season as an attacking player) more time to ‘settle in’. Reality is going to come crashing down around you at some point.
Sure. Great support there mate. I give him at least until Jan and I hope he will become great in that new role

Sure. Great support there mate. I give him at least until Jan and I hope he will become great in that new role
My ‘support’ doesn’t make him score 15+ goals or get 15+ assists a season. I support every player that turns out in a United shirt, I’m just more in touch reality than you are who’s hoping that things work out.

I’ve only recently come back on red cafe after a long break I got to say some people on here have got to question their selves do they really support
To right fella I don’t really think half the people on here are genuinely united fans

I’ve only recently come back on red cafe after a long break I got to say some people on here have got to question their selves do they really support

To right fella I don’t really think half the people on here are genuinely united fans
Yeah, some love to hate and moan more than cheer and celebrate. Strange

Is this sarcasm? I see no white text.

14 passes in 85 minutes, 0 tackles, 0 chances created, and the damning stats go on and on about how god awful he has been, and will continue to be. Someone posted just how bad he's been somewhere in this thread, (or the player performance thread), but I'm too lazy to find it.

It is utterly dreadful on my behalf, that when his injury was announced, I was thankful. I have NEVER felt this way about a player before. But I know, if he didn't get injured, ETH would have continued to play him and we could kiss our season goodbye.

Keep this waste of space away from the first team.
I think woosh.

Is this sarcasm? I see no white text.

14 passes in 85 minutes, 0 tackles, 0 chances created, and the damning stats go on and on about how god awful he has been, and will continue to be. Someone posted just how bad he's been somewhere in this thread, (or the player performance thread), but I'm too lazy to find it.

It is utterly dreadful on my behalf, that when his injury was announced, I was thankful. I have NEVER felt this way about a player before. But I know, if he didn't get injured, ETH would have continued to play him and we could kiss our season goodbye.

Keep this waste of space away from the first team.
Mount wasnt signed for his ability on the ball, but what he brings off the ball. Crazy i know but it is what it is. For ETH system, he needs players who can do the non stop pressing. Thats what mount brings, industry, energy, work rate, pressing etc.

£50mil is nuts for what he brings, but in the right system its priceless. Liverpool wanted him? Why? because they needed to replace the industry, energy, work rate, pressing of henderson and winjaldium.

Im not a fan of his, but willing to give him a chance. Once hojilund, amrabat, onana etc all bed in and play together, we might better understand why ETH signed him.