Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Marcus

The big question is whether Sancho or Greenwood would fetch a better price for us.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Either kick him out or do everything possible to de-stench him before the sale to the next dummy. This isn't rocket science
Well, yes.

But United can't do much to de-stench him. Beyond, you know, not doing anything at all (treat him as a possible transfer that other clubs may go for).

The de-stench aspect here amounts to just treating him as any other player, surely.

(What else can United do? Issue a statement? "We can't take him back, but - really - he's a fine lad and a terrific footballer, please consider paying us a shitload of money for him.")

There's only one possible scenario in which United make more than a relative pittance (transfer fee) here: multiple clubs actually want to sign him. But even then, the max fee is limited to - well - common sense. 60 mill? Forget it, not going to happen. The clubs that will be interested in signing him permanently don't have that kind of money.

(The idea that we can sell him to anyone because he's "objectively" worth 60m or whatever...is laughable, of course.)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Well, yes.

But United can't do much to de-stench him. Beyond, you know, not doing anything at all (treat him as a possible transfer that other clubs may go for).

The de-stench aspect here amounts to just treating him as any other player, surely.

(What else can United do? Issue a statement? "We can't take him back, but - really - he's a fine lad and a terrific footballer, please consider paying us a shitload of money for him.")

There's only one possible scenario in which United make more than a relative pittance (transfer fee) here: multiple clubs actually want to sign him. But even then, the max fee is limited to - well - common sense. 60 mill? Forget it, not going to happen. The clubs that will be interested in signing him permanently don't have that kind of money.

(The idea that we can sell him to anyone because he's "objectively" worth 60m or whatever...is laughable, of course.)
I was struggling for a word so came up with de-stench

And yes it can't be done 100%, but there was a "rollout" plan aimed at some level of rehabilitation and reinstatement, before it got torpedoed. No need to rehash that.So once you state that he's not coming back, you can't still expect any sort of reasonable financial return on him. It's the dilly dallying on this that's irritating.

If he is persona non-grata, then cut ties completely and honor his contract, since money is no concern in this option.

Otherwise, maybe do everything possible to rehabilitate him on and off the pitch despite fickle public opinion so that when it's time to sell, someone will possibly buy and we recoup... or simply avail yourselves of the service of a homegrown talent who is a cnut who can also play football well?

I mean, those are your only 2 sensible options.

adexkola

Supports
Apparently two premier league clubs after him.

I imagine one is Arsenal, who clearly don’t care about this sort of thing being an issue based off the starting 11s they’ve had out recently.

Wonder who else?
Almost as if life has gone on for Arsenal, and would have gone on for us in an alternate universe where...

Probably Everton

Yakuza_devils

I think Getafe President killed any hope for us to get a decent fees. He basically tell the whole world that they have discussed with Man Utd and confirmed that we don't want to take him back and looking to sell Greenwood. Any clubs interested in Greenwood will lowball us.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
... or simply avail yourselves of the service of a homegrown talent who is a cnut who can also play football well?
That (probably) ain't gonna happen.

But yes, of course: I do see your point with regard to United's - let's say - moral stance here.

That would be: United's moral stance (not the moral stance of the fans who want him gone).

adexkola

Supports
That (probably) ain't gonna happen.

But yes, of course: I do see your point with regard to United's - let's say - moral stance here.

That would be: United's moral stance (not the moral stance of the fans who want him gone).
Emphasis merited, it's United who are trying to play both sides of the fence here.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I think Getafe President killed any hope for us to get a decent fees. He basically tell the whole world that they have discussed with Man Utd and confirmed that we don't want to take him back and looking to sell Greenwood. Any clubs interested in Greenwood will lowball us.
It was hardly a secret.

Rasmus_9

I’m pretty certain when I say that Greenwood has been told by the Getafe boss to do minimal defensive work and running. The other ten are the sort of players that run themselves into the ground. They want Greenwood fresh and ready to hit teams after a quick turn over. Don’t get me wrong he was hardly a workaholic at United but at Getafe he gets into shape quickly but then the pressing is done by others around him which is what I’d expect if you have a player of Greenwood’s class playing for a lowly Spanish team

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Some rumours about Barca wanting him and willing to swap players (Vitor Roque mentioned, as an example). Erik obviously wants FDJ who doesn't want to come here, and they've got one of the best centre backs around in Araújo (rumoured price €100m, with Bayern interested as well), and we've been linked with their 19 year old centre back Mikayil Faye.

If Barca want to swap, but United would rather get cash for FFP purposes, would it not make sense to flaunt the spirit of the rules like Barca and Juve did for Pjanic and Arthur?

Gandalf

Some rumours about Barca wanting him and willing to swap players (Vitor Roque mentioned, as an example). Erik obviously wants FDJ who doesn't want to come here, and they've got one of the best centre backs around in Araújo (rumoured price €100m, with Bayern interested as well), and we've been linked with their 19 year old centre back Mikayil Faye.

If Barca want to swap, but United would rather get cash for FFP purposes, would it not make sense to flaunt the spirit of the rules like Barca and Juve did for Pjanic and Arthur?
I don't think those rumours are from credible sources. The Barca thing has come up several times this season and has been shot down pretty quickly on each occasion. I expect that we are the ones planting those stories if anything as we try to drum up a better offer than another season on loan at Getafe.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't think those rumours are from credible sources. The Barca thing has come up several times this season and has been shot down pretty quickly on each occasion. I expect that we are the ones planting those stories if anything as we try to drum up a better offer than another season on loan at Getafe.
Maybe. I still think a lot of clubs would love a talent of his level and are less wary of his situation than United rightly are (and I think it's better for him and his family to start afresh). In terms of age and talent I think he's worth a lot more, but I'd be relieved if we could get 40m for him and I think he'll be a footballing success if he goes to a good club in a good league.

Nori-

Get him sold, he's a great player but no single great player is worth the drama that will come with keeping him. We have enough drama at the club as it is.

If we can get anywhere around £40m for him that would be amazing.

freddie the red

I don't want this reprehensible individual anywhere near our club.
To those who said he made a mistake, a mistake is when your parents go away for the week and you forget to put the bins out.
To those who still say he made a mistake, gather round your mother, sisters, daughters, neices, aunties and female friends and colleagues. Then, look them in the eyes and show them the images and let them listen to the audio and then tell them he's not a bad lad, he was young and made a mistake.
If that's still your position then shame on you.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

It would make a lot of sense to swap unwanted attacker for attacker. We probably value them similarly anyway and everyone wins from an FFP perspective.

Stacks

I don't want this reprehensible individual anywhere near our club.
To those who said he made a mistake, a mistake is when your parents go away for the week and you forget to put the bins out.
To those who still say he made a mistake, gather round your mother, sisters, daughters, neices, aunties and female friends and colleagues. Then, look them in the eyes and show them the images and let them listen to the audio and then tell them he's not a bad lad, he was young and made a mistake.
If that's still your position then shame on you.
Wasn't he cleared? Also who said the images were because of him?

SATA

Even 25M for him will be a great price and i’m sure half the Spanish and Italian clubs can certainly afford that. He’s damaged goods that United needs to get rid of

freddie the red

Cleared because the CPS doesn't feel there's a reasonable prospect of a conviction does not mean the accused didn't do what was alleged.
The victim has not come out and said it wasn't the alleged perpetrator after the audio/images were posted on social media.
If it was neither she who released them or him that was referred to then a simple public statement to that effect could have been made.
Had the individuals involved stated publicly right at the beginning that they had been hacked and framed then it would have resolved the matter in their favour immediately.
It wasn't and they didn't so we are left with what we have.

Gandalf

It's not a great price for him, let's be honest.
It is acceptable though. The UEFA and domestic league FFP restrictions along with other economic factors have depressed the spending in recent windows for everyone except Chelsea it seems, certainly Spanish and Italian clubs are being very frugal. When you factor in his reputation and any prospective buyer knowing he is not wanted here then we are not going to be in a strong bargaining position. Sometimes you just need to accept the time has come to turn the page and at least appreciate that whatever fee we do get is profit due to his being an academy product.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Matches the eye test in the Getafe games I’ve sat through. No defensive work and a lazy attitude in general. Another reason to not want him back.
It's how he played here too, really. His pressing and defensive stats were cack (especially in his second season) and he relied a lot on his great striking technique to get him through things.

Doesn't look like he has developed much at all as a player. His (entirely self-inflicted) 18~ month hiatus from football has probably made him rely even more on his strengths and try less to fix his flaws.

Cloud7

It's not a great price for him, let's be honest.
It’s a good price in the context of United not wanting him back, the reasons for United not wanting him back and the fact that he will most likely be going to a club outside of England where transfer fees are much less

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Even 25M for him will be a great price and i’m sure half the Spanish and Italian clubs can certainly afford that. He’s damaged goods that United needs to get rid of
Bellingham was the only Spanish transfer above £20m last summer. We'd be lucky to get that.

Gandalf

pretty sure the club said they dug deeper, gained new evidence
Not this again. For what its worth the club are not the Police and as such are not qualified to dig deeper and carry out any kind of reliable investigation besides which they had a vested interest in clearing him so are far from neutral in this matter. He ignored a restraining order and impregnated the alleged victim when he was supposed to be nowhere near her, as a result she withdrew from the case and without her as a witness the CPS decided not to proceed. Not cleared in the slightest, actually broke the law by visiting her during the process and most definitely is a scumbag and not wanted within a million miles of the club.

Now you don't need to reread the 372 pages of posts to answer why your assumptions are wrong, you are welcome.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
pretty sure the club said they dug deeper, gained new evidence
No, they did not. The club conducted an internal investigation. Richard Arnold noted they were not able to examine certain evidence and their investigative powers were limited. The CPS statement was where new evidence ("new material that came to light") was referenced.

Club statement: https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...b-statement-on-mason-greenwood-21-august-2023

Richard Arnold Open Letter: https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...orters-after-club-decision-on-mason-greenwood

Widow

Not this again. For what its worth the club are not the Police and as such are not qualified to dig deeper and carry out any kind of reliable investigation besides which they had a vested interest in clearing him so are far from neutral in this matter. He ignored a restraining order and impregnated the alleged victim when he was supposed to be nowhere near her, as a result she withdrew from the case and without her as a witness the CPS decided not to proceed. Not cleared in the slightest, actually broke the law by visiting her during the process and most definitely is a scumbag and not wanted within a million miles of the club.

Now you don't need to reread the 372 pages of posts to answer why your assumptions are wrong, you are welcome.
For what it's worth the Cafe members, mainly, are not the police but it doesn't stop us from forming an opinion. Uniteds opinion will be more informed than ours but with that said, I doubt that I'll ever know what truly happened.

she withdrew from the case and without her as a witness the CPS decided not to proceed

An important point but you've missed the part that states new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction.

Whatever happened, it's clear that he can't return to United.

Last edited:

Gandalf

For what it's worth the Cafe members, mainly, are not the police but it doesn't stop us from forming an opinion. Uniteds opinion will be more informed than ours but with that said, I doubt that I'll ever know what truly happened.
Fair point. We form opinions and all the club could do was form an opinion also. When forming opinions you can only consider what is in the public domain and the pictures and audio are out there and cannot be handwaved away.

Widow

Fair point. We form opinions and all the club could do was form an opinion also. When forming opinions you can only consider what is in the public domain and the pictures and audio are out there and cannot be handwaved away.
I agree, in the main, but it's clearly stated that they have more information then we do. The court of public opinion has spoken though, and you can't blame anyone for thinking/fearing the worse. I believe he and us as fans should move on from it. I only hope that the alleged victim has a strong support network around her and I prey that Greenwoods name is never spoken in this scenario ever again.

davidmichael

His partner
No Greenwood wasn’t cleared, the CPS dropped the charges due to them not believing there was enough evidence for a conviction but he wasn’t cleared or found not guilty. At the same time his partner never said anything and her father actually said the images and captions were uploaded by her friends, she hasn’t ever publicly spoken about it at all.

Posh Red

No Greenwood wasn’t cleared, the CPS dropped the charges due to them not believing there was enough evidence for a conviction but he wasn’t cleared or found not guilty. At the same time his partner never said anything and her father actually said the images and captions were uploaded by her friends, she hasn’t ever publicly spoken about it at all.
She captioned the images, insinuating he did it, no?