Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What is odd is that it's fine for him to go to someone like Barca but not play for United. Double standards.
Given the charges were dropped the best I can hope for is that he stays as far away from United as possible. Nothing I can do about him playing elsewhere. So no double standard.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How many goals has Greenwood scored in open play against teams not in relegation positions in La Liga?
I thought I’d check because there’s only 8 goals to look at. The answer? One.

1 vs Celta Vigo (17th)
1 vs Almeria (20th)
1 vs Sevilla (13th, but it was a penalty. N.B Sevilla were 17th at the time)
1 vs Granada (19th)
1 vs Real Betis (7th, but it was a penalty)
1 vs Las Palmas (14th)
2 vs Almeria (20th)

These are also current league positions today.

Last edited:

Needham

Having a decent season.
And a sketchy life thus far. Stop teasing that you'd take this dead-eyed bully back. He was wholly in sync with the shambles the club has been for years and is a small part of everything we need to get away from.

Pickle85

Let's be clear, he isn't going through this because of the hate mob, it is self inflicted. What is odd is that it's fine for him to go to someone like Barca but not play for United. Double standards.
It's ok, he won't. He's not good enough to interest Barca. But it's not double standards either; I think you'll probably find most that think he did what he's accused of and don't want him back here would also rather he wasn't handsomely remunerated by ANY professional club from hereon out. That said, we're also realists and understand that that won't happen, so at the very least we don't want him playing again for our club.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I thought I’d check because there’s only 8 goals to look at. The answer? One.

1 vs Celta Vigo (17th)
1 vs Almeria (20th)
1 vs Sevilla (13th, but it was a penalty. N.B Sevilla were 17th at the time)
1 vs Granada (19th)
1 vs Real Betis (7th, but it was a penalty)
1 vs Las Palmas (14th)
2 vs Almeria (20th)

These are also current league positions today.
Eight goals.

Six from open play.

Three of those against the bottom club.

MrBest

He's not coming back but if Hojlund had half of this guy's eye for goal and finishing ability, we'd be comfortably top 4.
Not disputing Greenwood's eye for goal, my position is that I want him back, but your comment really is unfair.

Hojlund, in almost every single game, gets zero service. His role these days is to try hold the ball up, run around and try create some pressure. The amount of chances per 90 he gets Vs other teams is pretty exception and the thing that is in Hojlunds favour is his conversion rate which is probably one of the highest in the league l.

That is just how terrible we have been all season and why Hags comments make no sense anymore. If greenwood was here, he would have a few more chances and that is because he is better at creating them for himself, he's that type of player. Hojlund is a player who needs service and gets none.

cafecillos

50% of open play goals against the bottom team, which is on 14 points after 33 matches, with only 1 (one) win. Talk about stat padding.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just wait for a few more months. SJR stated the club will review the situation and make decision one way or another at the end of the season. They need more information and need to monitor further on the situation before making the final call.

I wonder with a change of a new manager is inevitable, Sancho and Greenwood could still have a future with us? Hopefully things will clear up in the summer on the club next step forward.
Why should a change of manager make any difference to the greenwood situation? It’s not Ten Hags decision so why would it be for a new manager?

golden_blunder

Staff
If we switch managers they will probably consult with the new one to get his thoughts.
Seems like I need to ask you the same, why should a change in manager make any difference ti the club decision about non football related standards? We already know that ETH wanted him to stay. It makes little difference and should make little difference. The decision should be taken which transcends football

Yakuza_devils

Why should a change of manager make any difference to the greenwood situation? It’s not Ten Hags decision so why would it be for a new manager?
I would have thought SJR (assuming SJR wants Greenwood back and Greenwood has apologised/clarified the situation publicly) can't force a player down a new manager if he doesn't suit his style of play?

The manager surely will have certain influence over SJR decision either way.

Last edited:

Overhaul FC

13 Goals
10 Assists

In all competitions for Getafe in his first season back after more than a year without playing football.

Most goals/assists than any winger in our club.

Rasmus_9

50% of open play goals against the bottom team, which is on 14 points after 33 matches, with only 1 (one) win. Talk about stat padding.
To be fair you also have to throw into the equation that he is playing for a pretty mediocre lower mid table team himself. If he was on loan at Barcelona, I’d expect him to easily be 20 plus goals and assists now this season (in the league)

Pickle85

To be fair you also have to throw into the equation that he is playing for a pretty mediocre lower mid table team himself. If he was on loan at Barcelona, I’d expect him to easily be 20 plus goals and assists now this season (in the league)
But he wouldn't be starting for Barca, so he wouldn't be easily at 20+ G/A.

Fallon d'Floor

13 Goals
10 Assists

In all competitions for Getafe in his first season back after more than a year without playing football.

Most goals/assists than any winger in our club.
Straight up lies. He's scored 10 goals and assisted 6 goals in all competitions from 31 games.

Yeah, over a year without playing competitively. But not a year out with a career threatening injury. He was still training with personal coaches while on his leave of absence.

It's not like he's coming back from 2.5 years of injuries like R9. Or 19 months of injury hell like Moder at Brighton just recently.

La Liga is the weakest it has been in a long time. His numbers are average in a relatively weak league.

Pickle85

Pretty sure he’d play plenty of games for Barcelona
Like I said, he wouldn't be starting for them and wouldn't be easily at 20+ goals and assists. Maybe if he hadn't missed 18 months of football because he is allegedly a violent sexual offender his development wouldn't have been set back, in which case he could have a shout for all of the above, but that's not the case.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Neither goal was anything to write home about, but, for me, the most impressive thing was his selflessness. For his second goal, in the past, I think he'd have gone solo, but he played smart here. Held the ball up until the cavalry arrived, passed to a teammate and was the fortunate to get the rebound. Then there's his assist. In the position he found himself in there, he definitely would've gone for glory in the past, too. Especially on a hattrick.

Yakuza_devils

Sad to say this. Our best attacker is out on loan while we are struggling. This needs to be sorted one way or another in the summer. Need SJR to be decisive.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Oh I see we are back to overestimating his ability based on some tap ins against farmers. Very good.

Thank god this guy won't be at our club for long :)

Charlie Yu

Eight goals.

Six from open play.

Three of those against the bottom club.
If we scored that easily against bottom clubs we would have a lot more points. Instead we dropped 2 points against a bottom club at home just yesterday.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Seems like I need to ask you the same, why should a change in manager make any difference ti the club decision about non football related standards? We already know that ETH wanted him to stay. It makes little difference and should make little difference. The decision should be taken which transcends football
Everything involving a footballer at a football club will eventually still get tied to the interests of the club from a football perspective There's no way around that. As for ETH wanting him to stay, it would've taken an executive decision that was made by levels higher than the manager. Even the last minute decision for the loan was done on football grounds since United didn't want to deal with the distraction going into the new season.

padzilla

Hipster
Is there anyone who would genuinely stop supporting or watching United if SJR brought him back into the fold?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He'd get a few more goals, but not nearly 20 imo. Would he start there ? Doubtful given that others like Ferran Torres are on double the amount of goals as Greenwood. He would see a fair bit of time though.

cafecillos

Straight up lies. He's scored 10 goals and assisted 6 goals in all competitions from 31 games
Of which:
3 are against the bottom team in the league (14 points from 33 matches; 1 win in 33)
2 are against Tardienta, the worst team he has played against since he was 13
2 penalties

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Not disputing Greenwood's eye for goal, my position is that I want him back, but your comment really is unfair.

Hojlund, in almost every single game, gets zero service. His role these days is to try hold the ball up, run around and try create some pressure. The amount of chances per 90 he gets Vs other teams is pretty exception and the thing that is in Hojlunds favour is his conversion rate which is probably one of the highest in the league l.

That is just how terrible we have been all season and why Hags comments make no sense anymore. If greenwood was here, he would have a few more chances and that is because he is better at creating them for himself, he's that type of player. Hojlund is a player who needs service and gets none.
We have been terrible but we weren't much better when he was in our team. He would often win us games by himself or have a huge contribution.

Hojlund just doesn't have this X factor. And I'm not saying I want him back but objectively one is a much, much better attacker although it would interesting to see Hojlund on the wing.

Charlie Yu

When was the last time a player actually got cancelled? Greenwood certainly hasn't been.
The cancelling is always there, Ryan Giggs is the most decorated player and he is deliberately left out of EPL Hall of Fame

golden_blunder

Staff
Everything involving a footballer at a football club will eventually still get tied to the interests of the club from a football perspective There's no way around that. As for ETH wanting him to stay, it would've taken an executive decision that was made by levels higher than the manager. Even the last minute decision for the loan was done on football grounds since United didn't want to deal with the distraction going into the new season.
I don’t agree. ‘Football’ needs to be set to the side and a decision taken on his character, is he a good person as SJR alluded to

MrBest

We have been terrible but we weren't much better when he was in our team. He would often win us games by himself or have a huge contribution.

Hojlund just doesn't have this X factor. And I'm not saying I want him back but objectively one is a much, much better attacker although it would interesting to see Hojlund on the wing.
I understand where you are coming from and the verdict is still out for Hojlund, but I believe if you give him more service, more moments to be in the right place and the right time, relieve the pressure of being one of the only players to press, some more balls to run on to, we may see a very different player. Our gap between defence and the front line is all over the place and the type of striker Hojlund is, we are wasting him pressing back into midfield. If he was missing 10 chances in a game and getting nowhere, I got it, but you take a look at the Burnley game, he had no service the entire game. Against Shefield, he had two opportunities and scored one. Inside him is a ruthless poacher, not a Haaland level, but someone who offers more all round than Haaland.

Maticmaker

As a club with some people with dubious histories (off the pitch) associated with us over time, we are in the wrong position to be 'virtue signalling'. If Greenwood can show the promise he had before , if he can keep his nose clean and his head down and get stuck in, then he should be able to come back.

Pickle85

As a club with some people with dubious histories (off the pitch) associated with us over time, we are in the wrong position to be 'virtue signalling'. If Greenwood can show the promise he had before , if he can keep his nose clean and his head down and get stuck in, then he should be able to come back.
Please explain how anyone here is virtue signalling.

padzilla

Hipster
Yes not wanting woman beaters and possible rapists to play for Manchester United is nothing short of 'virtue signalling'.

Pickle85

Yes not wanting woman beaters and possible rapists to play for Manchester United is nothing short of 'virtue signalling'.
I suspect it's a phrase that poster has heard, doesn't understand but wants to use because they think it sounds smart.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Can you define virtue signalling as you see it?

Fridge chutney

State of this

Maticmaker

Please explain how anyone here is virtue signalling.
Behave yourself...

Read the posts, there is a lot of... "he's been a 'bad lad' and he shouldn't be allowed back to United..." oh by the way he could go to somewhere else and (if he does) hopefully we will get 'loads-a-money' for him... yes, that's OK, somewhere in another country preferably, that's better, out of sight out of mind.

We've never had players (and others) associated with the club in the past, who have been real sh**'s... now have we??

If the girls' forgiven him and taken him back, so should we... everyone deserves a second chance... don't they??

golden_blunder

Staff
Behave yourself...

Read the posts, there is a lot of... "he's been a 'bad lad' and he shouldn't be allowed back to United..." oh by the way he could go to somewhere else and (if he does) hopefully we will get 'loads-a-money' for him... yes, that's OK, somewhere in another country preferably, that's better, out of sight out of mind.

We've never had players (and others) associated with the club in the past, who have been real sh**'s... now have we??

If the girls' forgiven him and taken him back, so should we... everyone deserves a second chance... don't they??
He’s already playing his 2nd chance