Mason Greenwood | Officially a Marseille player

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m more inclined with your line of thinking. To come to a more positive conclusion, from what started with horrific and appalling audio/photos takes belief, thinking and analysis from things we can read, see and extrapolate.

Belief in what we have been told from the CPS and club.

Analysis of the above combined with the alleged victim and her family / friends behaviour towards Greenwood and / or lack of concern that the two are back together.

Thinking the negatively about the ending takes a whole lot of unsubstantiated assumptions. Assumptions that the father is in it for the money or “not a very nice person”. We actually know he’s a pretty wealthy person.
Assumption that Greenwood somehow coerced the alleged victim to get back with him or she is with him as a helpless victim. But the fact that the victim comes from a stable background with a strong social group makes the possibility a huge assumption concerning the lack of concern from her family and peers.

This is the safest approach - go by the actual results of investigations and subsequent actions taken by all parties. Everything else is simply pure conjecture based on limited information.

I hope he gets his career back on track whether it’s with united or some other team. Somebody must have forgave him he’s a father now

This is the safest approach - go by the actual results of investigations and subsequent actions taken by all parties. Everything else is simply pure conjecture based on limited information.
It's not the safest approach, it's just the most positive and hopeful. There's no results from the CPS as that case never went to court and United's investigation didn't even involve the alleged victim directly. As you say, with limited information, that doesn't mean it can only be positive, It could just as easily be negative.

I've come to terms that it's obvious that he'll be back. If he's tearing it up at Getafe, they'll definitely try their hand at bringing him back in January.

I hope for everyone's sake he's learned from all this and we're not sat here in a few years time, hearing shitty stories about him again.

I agree - too many jumping to conclusions based on limited info.

And I don't even have an issue with those who presume Greenwood is guilty since it's certainly possible, but it starts getting ridiculous when they expect everyone including Erik Ten Hag and the entire Getafe fanbase to jump to the same conclusion!

I agree - too many jumping to conclusions based on limited info.

And I don't even have an issue with those who presume Greenwood is guilty since it's certainly possible, but it starts getting ridiculous when they expect everyone including Erik Ten Hag and the entire Getafe fanbase to jump to the same conclusion!
Do you think he did what he was accused of?

It's not the safest approach, it's just the most positive and hopeful. There's no results from the CPS as that case never went to court and United's investigation didn't even involve the alleged victim directly. As you say, with limited information, that doesn't mean it can only be positive, It could just as easily be negative.

I've come to terms that it's obvious that he'll be back. If he's tearing it up at Getafe, they'll definitely try their hand at bringing him back in January.

I hope for everyone's sake he's learned from all this and we're not sat here in a few years time, hearing shitty stories about him again.

There is a “result” from the CPS which is that the evidence was so weak that it didn’t justify proceeding. We can speculate why that might have been but ultimately we can’t treat him any worse than if the case went to court and he was found not guilty.

As for United’s investigation, I’ll stress again that they were not required in any way to declare that he was innocent. The heat that they will feel having done so if he was to offend in future would be almost impossible to imagine and they won’t have risked that. They clearly have decent evidence to support what they’ve said.

If I’m wrong in the above, hopefully the victim here is potentially in a better place than others who might be in a similar situation. I appreciate it’s not complete protection but one social media post from her of a similar nature and he is completely finished in football. Hopefully they have a happy life together moving forwards but, if they don’t because of any abusive behaviour from him, hopefully she destroys him and takes a large cut of his money.

It's a good loan for him. He comes to give the team some boost because their starlet Enes Unal is injured for a longe period.

Going to play on a league that is tactically very cult, he's in the Madrid Sur region, which is less than 25 mins away from Madrid city center, so he can even afford to live in the center of Madrid without being a nuisance.
They actually have a quite decent squad with solid players like Domingos Duarte, Maksimovic, Aleña with Enes Unal being an amazing player and a few hot prospects like Gaston Alvarez and Latasa.

Going to getefe is the best decision the club made. Under the radar.
If he had gone to Lazio the media spotlight would have been much more concentrated.

I'm not sure because we don't have access to all the info required to make such a judgement.

But based on statements from the CPS and the club plus family reactions (or lack thereof), I think it's unlikely that Greenwood is guilty of what he was accused of.

I'm not sure because we don't have access to all the info required to make such a judgement.

But based on statements from the CPS and the club plus family reactions (or lack thereof), I think it's unlikely that Greenwood is guilty of what he was accused of.
What do you think is the story behind the audio and the pictures out of curiosity?

I'm not trying to catch you out or anything here, we just clearly disagree about this and I'm interested to see what you think happened. Same reason I asked Raoul earlier.

I would like him to do well this season. He is at a decent club and playing at a good level. I would like him to have and good professional and personal experiences whilst he is in Spain.

Once his loan is over, I would like to think that United would liaise with Getafe ( their coaching and personnel staff) to see how he settled, how he conducted himself professionally and make an assessment on whether he can come back to us next summer.

I would like United to take a circumspect but also a decisive approach to this, where the player, his family and the club are the main priority.

Yes the club should receive advice form the PFA and other official bodies like charities (Women's Aid) should they need to, but if the rehabilitation process has gone to somewhat accomplished, I would like to see him come back.

Do you think the door could be open for him to return?

I would like United to take a circumspect but also a decisive approach to this, where the player, his family and the club are the main priority.

Yes the club should receive advice form the PFA and other official bodies like charities (Women's Aid) should they need to, but if the rehabilitation process has gone to somewhat accomplished, I would like to see him come back.

Do you think the door could be open for him to return?

I think it's clear in all the statements from the club that they are leaving just enough wiggle room to bring him back in 12 months once the heat has died down.

They could have said his United career was over or that he wouldn't represent the club again, but they conspicuously refused to do so, the language is intentionally vague, "rebuilding his career away from the club" etc

I tend to agree with your last sentence in terms of the rape side of the accusation, from the evidence that we've seen and heard anyway, although the audio sounds like attempted rape, but we haven't heard the whole clip apparently if you believe United's statement so I don't know.

But the one thing I'm absolutely sure of is that he is/was a domestic abuser, and I think people would have to be very blinkered to not see that too.

I think it's clear in all the statements from the club that they are leaving just enough wiggle room to bring him back in 12 months once the heat has died down.

They could have said his United career was over or that he wouldn't represent the club again, but they conspicuously refused to do so, the language is intentionally vague, "rebuilding his career away from the club" etc

This didn't really occur to me at the time, but having seen the video of him being introduced at Getafe it suddenly became very obvious. He has "left United" as per our statement, but could clearly come back if the club thinks it's worth it

Can’t help but think that don’t the last we hear about this couple

There's to to be a real chance the club hope this'll blow over if Mason has a successful season abroad and will somehow just be forgotten.

It won't be.

Getafe are being really weird about this with on their social media. Leaning into the controversy and acting like a 12 year old internet troll to get some 'engagement' and attention. Shitty club.
Hopefully they get relegated.

What do you think is the story behind the audio and the pictures out of curiosity?

I'm not trying to catch you out or anything here, we just clearly disagree about this and I'm interested to see what you think happened. Same reason I asked Raoul earlier.

I think the point is, it doesn’t really matter what we think does it? The police and CPS have access to all the info and made their decision, we simply don’t have that info, what the angry mob think is totally irrelevant.

There is a “result” from the CPS which is that the evidence was so weak that it didn’t justify proceeding.
So weak because the main witness withdrew co-operation. Your descriptions are very selective.
As for United’s investigation, I’ll stress again that they were not required in any way to declare that he was innocent. The heat that they will feel having done so if he was to offend in future would be almost impossible to imagine and they won’t have risked that. They clearly have decent evidence to support what they’ve said.
Or they're just trying to protect some semblance of value for their asset. If there was this magic evidence that totally exonerated it would surely have been released so he could resume his career at United, not Getafe.

Christ some of the comments on here make me hope some of you lot don't have daughters.

What irks me is the way Getafe are promoting this signing, mind you the Getafe president was one of the first people calling for Rubiales to resign over the Women's World Cup incident yet he's out there saying Greenwood was proven innocent which is factually incorrect.

So weak because the main witness withdrew co-operation. Your descriptions are very selective.

I’m sure this has been answered 1000 x. But just for the hard ears…. If the evidence is strong enough they can proceed without the main witness. Therefore what you are saying doesn’t matter

Or they're just trying to protect some semblance of value for their asset. If there was this magic evidence that totally exonerated it would surely have been released so he could resume his career at United, not Getafe.

Again.. if they both came out and said it was a big game they was playing would that satisfy you? Or furthermore would it satisfy 90% of those against him? If the answer is no.. again what you are suggesting is irrelevant.

There’s a few possibilities really in terms of the recordings.

Probably best not to get in to it though to be honest.

Again I’m just putting these things together based on the statements from the CPS and United.

Yeah, I think whatever else could be in that audio clip is best left to people's imaginations. If there is a longer audio clip which sheds a different light on the situation, I could understand why no one involved wants that in the public domain.

It's going to take him a good few months to get back into the swing of things on a pitch I'd imagine, after what a year out of the game?

Granted he has been training individually for the last few months, but game time and match sharpness should not be underestimated for a striker.

You have to say as well he looks like he's lost a bit of muscular shape based on the video clips flying around.

Will be interesting to see how he adapts at that club, he will need to work incredibly hard to get himself back to his previous level.

I’m sure this has been answered 1000 x. But just for the hard ears…. If the evidence is strong enough they can proceed without the main witness. Therefore what you are saying doesn’t matter
Not when a lot of the charges boiled down to he said/she said, as you know.

Again.. if they both came out and said it was a big game they was playing would that satisfy you? Or furthermore would it satisfy 90% of those against him? If the answer is no.. again what you are suggesting is irrelevant.
It's just bizarre that there's this supposed evidence that clears him but it's being buried. There was obvious self-interest why United might make that statement though. It's funny everyone trusts the club management's verdict when they've displayed absolute ineptitude of 90% of the decisions they've ever taken.

It must be like breathing fresh air to get away from the suffocating backlash here.

The guy was 19 (?) when the incident broadcast, people change and mature and hopefully he will. At 19 people do a whole host of stupid things that they would not do even a few years later.

It must be like breathing fresh air to get away from the suffocating backlash here.

The guy was 19 (?) when the incident broadcast, people change and mature and hopefully he will. At 19 people do a whole host of stupid things that they would not do even a few years later.
Do you know many people that were accused of rape, assault and coercive control in their teens then?

Do you know many people that were accused of rape, assault and coercive control in their teens then?
I don't have figures but I have known many charged with very serious matters who are unrecognisable as people years later, that said some take longer to learn their lessons than others, if at all. PS not everyone charged is found guilty but their lives are never the same. This guy, because of his profile has had more scrutiny than the ones I am referring to however it does not necessarily mean that he was anymore mature.

The Athletic is so damn boring.

I don't know why they get so much attention tbh.
At the beginning, they tried to market themselves as this new sports reporting paper that did no bullshit stories/was completely reliable, yet its basically a copy of the other papers. Make up rumours sometimes, get some stories right, bash clubs that the public is bashing, praise clubs that the public is praising. Yawn

No new stories going around these days so they have to milk the Greenwood story to the max to get the dollars (or pounds I guess)

I know you weren't asking me but I'm just not sure anymore after the club's statement. They obviously have more (but not all) evidence and said he didn't do what he was accused of. But until they explain the video and the pictures we all seen (I know they wont), I personally on good conscious cannot look past this. Its all the evidence I've available and it's damning.

Does it matter what he thinks is the story behind it? (not being snarky). I share his viewpoint and came to the same conclusion. For me speculating on "what I think happened" is just feeding the fire when neither "side" knows. I don't know, you don't know, those in better positions than us don't think A) there was enough evidence to find him guilty and/or B) that he didn't do what he was accused off.

Clear as day that of course, MG did what he was initially charged of. Clearly they worked on their relationship afterwards, leading to the witness withdrawing her claim, and MG no longer being prosecuted. Doesn't mean MG is less of a scumbag for the original assault, but also doesn't mean he shouldn't have a chance to be rehabilitated in the long term. Him originally assaulting her, and her/him working on their relationship in an attempt to go back to being a happy couple are not mutually exclusive events. Both have happened as it appears. MG deserves all the backlash that he got, but that doesn't mean he should never be allowed to play professional football again, even at Man Utd.

I know you weren't asking me but I'm just not sure anymore after the club's statement. They obviously have more (but not all) evidence and said he didn't do what he was accused of. But until they explain the video and the pictures we all seen (I know they wont), I personally on good conscious cannot look past this. Its all the evidence I've available and it's damning.

Agreed, also whilst they conclude 'innocence' in their statement, they also detail how their investigation was clearly limited so I find relying on their stance to be quite short sighted/overly charitable and really question Uniteds motive in making a declaration not found in court without showing any working out at all and admitting the obvious issues in their own process.

The fact that no alternate explanation or exculpatory evidence has been even hinted at in the circumstances leaves me with the feeling that it's most likely what it sounds and looks like, I'm sure with tonnes more context, background etc.

For me the images, recording (and the fact she was recording in the first place), fact she made an ABE statement and the police felt they had evidence to charge and the CPS felt the evidence was sufficient to proceed (meaning at that time they felt they had enough evidence to have a realistic chance of conviction) still largely outweighs the case then collapsing due to victim withdrawal and new evidence in terms of a determination on what is most likely to have happened.

The victim clearly didn't want to proceed and is fully supportive of him currently which is grand and of course carries weight but that itself is so hugely common in the case of DV situations and sometimes it all works out despite previous issues, hopefully that is the case here.

I don't think roleplay, BDSM or a desire to protect her are the reasons we don't have the extra details that would be exculpatory. If there was something that cleared Mason they would have It out there, particularly if it at all showed she had made malicious reports or was at fault - they wouldn't seek to protect her over his United career/future earnings/image, whether they were staying together or otherwise.

I hope he does okay at Getafe and everyone moves on without further incident, but I remain glad he's not with us. Wouldn't say the door is entirely closed next year but I still think the fans are owed further explanation if he is to be brought back, if it's not offered I will probably continue to conclude that the, by far, likeliest reason for that is that it would basically confirm guilt and not lessen the perception re the recording/images in a meaningful way. I think they know the best play at the moment is to keep it all vague and hope most people give the benefit of the doubt to Mason, which I think is the way it's trending.

Dream scenario:
Mason has an incredible season at Getafe.
Real Madrid buy him from us for €80.
New evidence comes to light proving him guilty beyond all reasonable doubt.

Your dream scenario involves the victim definitely being abused?

Status
Not open for further replies.