Television Marvel Studios Secret Invasion

Hamnat

Just finished the second episode, the Fury / Rhodey scene was some great acting I felt. They really got to cut loose and had some good stuff there. I liked the political interplay with the remaining Skrulls. They also casually answered why they arent reaching out to the remaining ex Avengers/super powered allies for help. It was a convenient answer Fury gave but ok.
To be fair to Fury, I can see humans being much more open to accepting aliens who looked human like Asgardians than reptilian like Skrulls.
He gave an answer on why sharing Earth with them was never going to work. And he is exactly right. But, what they didn't answer yet is were they being used all along or did they ever actually reach out and look for a suitable adopted world. They are doing a better job here so far showing you why they feel agrieved. Seeing the promise and pledge in the past and how here they are 30 years later and what do they have to show for it works.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Just finished the second episode, the Fury / Rhodey scene was some great acting I felt. They really got to cut loose and had some good stuff there. I liked the political interplay with the remaining Skrulls. They also casually answered why they arent reaching out to the remaining ex Avengers/super powered allies for help. It was a convenient answer Fury gave but ok.

He gave an answer on why sharing Earth with them was never going to work. And he is exactly right. But, what they didn't answer yet is were they being used all along or did they ever actually reach out and look for a suitable adopted world. They are doing a better job here so far showing you why they feel agrieved. Seeing the promise and pledge in the past and how here they are 30 years later and what do they have to show for it works.
Agreed, hence my original question:

Why didn't they give them Garden? It was made quite clear Thanos was there all alone in Endgame.

Unam333

Episode 2 was a pretty good episode.

Spoiler:
Will we see Carol Danvers? :drool:

Hamnat

Gai was living on borrowed time. But, I needed her to flat out ask what happened to her mother. If she's really dead before getting to act out that scene it is a waste. It would have added some narrative juice and given her something to bite on to get to show us those emotions. As it is she barely got to do anything and I don't know why she bothered with this role really.Interesting way to get Super Skrulls in. Fine with it and expect them to have at least one around for Fantastic 4 down the line.

I still say they need to explore why Nick and Carol did not do what they promised. They are dancing around the issue and it's a core motivation for the plot. If there is a good reason why, or maybe not maybe they show that Nick is selfish and used them which is kind of where they are leaning at this point. How he treated his wife, and how Talos explained the boost and trajectory of his career after they arrived.

If that's all it is they need to show it and have it acted out by Samuel and maybe Gravik in a confrontation. They have to go there for this show to be successful in the end. If they tap dance around the issue but dont address it they will fail.

This show requires a big cameo, and surprise reveal of someone bigger being replaced too. Rhodey might work but they would need to show him having done something while infiltrated that helped the Skrulls.

Right now the show is ok to me. But they have a lot to do to stick a landing on the good side of Disney shows.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
So the Skrulls' plan is to make sure they can pin the attack on Russia by flying American helicopters but speaking Russian?? :wenger:

Oldyella

It's pretty shit, isn't it?
It started well I thought, but the last couple of episodes havent been great. Its being carried by some decent actors, but the plot hasnt gone anywhere and people keep making stupid decisions. And as for Fury 'suiting up' with tiny little items all kept in different places for some reason..

Shame as it just hasnt followed through on the potential paranoia of first few eps.

Hamnat

Yeah they messed up. It had a promising concept but they should have kept it a tight, faster paced, spy, infiltration thriller type thing.
There is no way to fix it all in the last episode either.

Gravick is a typical thinly motivated mustache twirly villian. They make a big deal out of Fury not delivering on his promise of finding them a home. And 5 episodes later we still dont know why he and Carol didn't just go find them a world. Or if they did why it didn't work out. Even if they try to info dump that in the last episode it is too late to redeem the show.

They could have used the reasoning to build Gravik into more than a one dimensional character. They introduced Super Skrulls but it comes across as weak when they don't have actual superheroes to go up against.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Just finished watching Marvel timeline (well I gave Captain America/Winter Soldier, Wakanada, Werewolf and Moon Knight a miss).

How can the world be approaching WWIII and the real Rhodes not be aware he's being dopple gang-banged?

Or the Valkerie not alert to the fact her people are about to lose planet number two in their Asgardian lifetimes?

Ant Man, etc, live here too right and watch the news. Wakanada surely won't be safe either if we all go mushroom city.

Anyway I'm sure I would have similar questions if I was reading the comics back in the 80s so I'll go with the flow instead of being a grumpy grandad.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
One million Skrulls who can look like anyone they like… could take a planet of 7 Billion without firing a shot.

Hamnat

Overall one of if not the weakest Disney+ show for me. Squandered potential. There was some good acting in here from Fury and Rhodey throughout. But, they basically tried to make Gravick a real character not a one dimensional villain he had been for 5 episodes all in 10 minutes of the finale.

They needed to build him up the rest of the show so you cared about his "speech" to fake Fury. Then we finally get the "excuse" of why the Skrulls didnt get another planet. But, that wasnt Fury. Did he tell her the reason and have her relay it? I think there is a logical gap there. If he did tell her that was the reason when they were making up the plan. I think it would have had value of us seeing that. Seeing her reaction. Did she buy it? Was she satisfied? Both her parents died for that "choice" or decision. There could have been good acting scenes out of her reacting to Fury just deciding for 2 races without consultation that they will share a planet and not tell anyone.

RedDevil@84

I believe this is start of Phase 5 of MCU. How does it stack up against Phase 4, which arguably was the poorest MCU Phase ?

Phase 4 movies: Black Widow, Shang Chi, Eternals, Spider Man No Way Home, Dr Strange 2, Thor: Love n Thunder, Black Panther 2

Phase 4 TV: Wanda Vision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, Loki, What If?, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, She-Hulk

caid

Only watched the first episode. Usually wait till its all released to watch but I dont think i'll bother. First episode seemed like a massive waste of talent and was pretty dumb. Doesn't sound like it improved from there. Maybe when i'm really, really bored.

I believe this is start of Phase 5 of MCU. How does it stack up against Phase 4, which arguably was the poorest MCU Phase ?

Phase 4 movies: Black Widow, Shang Chi, Eternals, Spider Man No Way Home, Dr Strange 2, Thor: Love n Thunder, Black Panther 2

Phase 4 TV: Wanda Vision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, Loki, What If?, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, She-Hulk
They're probably painfully slow to react and turn these movies around but they're quite long overdue to release something above watchable.
I think early phase 4 was probably better than late phase 4 which is grim. Wanda Vision, Falcon and Loki all had a few positive moments even if the wider series was pretty weak. Shang Chi was probably the best movie with a few after that are kind of watchable if you like the director or characters a lot but none rose above watchable.
To be honest they should break the universe up a bit and go back to making standalone movies

Oldyella

This really tailed off. Acting was pretty good through out but the plot was terrible. No real surprises about who was a skrull or not outside of Rhodey and some character choices were bloody terrible.

Why give the villain what he wanted at the end if she just wanted to try and kill him? We got a superhero fight out of it which I assume is the reason, but in universe was the dumbest choice imaginable. Glad Emilia Clarke is hanging around, but will we even see her again? Maybe not

RedDevil@84

This really tailed off. Acting was pretty good through out but the plot was terrible. No real surprises about who was a skrull or not outside of Rhodey and some character choices were bloody terrible.

Why give the villain what he wanted at the end if she just wanted to try and kill him? We got a superhero fight out of it which I assume is the reason, but in universe was the dumbest choice imaginable. Glad Emilia Clarke is hanging around, but will we even see her again? Maybe not
Why Emilia Clarke? Her acting/character was at the same level as others

Oldyella

Why Emilia Clarke? Her acting/character was at the same level as others
That she's sticking around? Just like her really, nothing more than that tbh. A shame we dont get a proper Super Skrull villain for F4 though as he was always a favourite. If you mean will we see her again? It feels like MCU are dialling back and moving to focus on quality again over the churn we are seeing now where the quality has really really dropped, so assume a lot of characters just wont get screen time

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
3ish hours of content at 212 million. Meanwhile Oppenheimer cost 100 million(before marketing) with the same amount of run time... Someone at Disney does not know how to run a budget.

RedDevil@84

3ish hours of content at 212 million. Meanwhile Oppenheimer cost 100 million(before marketing) with the same amount of run time... Someone at Disney does not know how to run a budget.
Hence they are streaming first 3 episodes on Hulu till Aug 17th and are hoping to get more people to stream it.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Hence they are streaming first 3 episodes on Hulu till Aug 17th and are hoping to get more people to stream it.
Thats a terrible plan, though it is Disney so I guess thats about right. Not even a million people bothered to turn up for the premiere. Thats some serious CW energy, and the CW never made a profit in its entire life.

They had Sam Jackson, a powerhouse of an actor and personality. They could have had a much more narrow and focused story playing up the strengths of the character and the Skrull threat. This could have easily played out as a claustrophobic 70sesque paranoid thriller. Small in scope but large in scale. And instead we get 6 short episodes of old man jokes, terrible character deconstruction and long time fan favourite deaths that amount to nothing. Even the villain sucked ass. It was like watching Kevin Webster trying to take over the world. 35 million an episode... fecking hell.

Sylar

It was... Ok
But also weird. Six episodes and about 30ish minutes was completely wrong for this.
I feel like they needed ten episodes and play more towards the mystery of who has been taken over.

We would have got more scenes with fury and giah, an explanation of why they couldn't get a place, abandoned plans etc. And who to trust regarding who has been taken over.

So rhodey was taken over post end game right? I haven't read if this was confirmed in any interviews. But in the last ep they did say a long time...

The explanation of why the avengers aren't getting involved was meh. At least they had one I guess.

Also giah is now the strongest being right? She has a combination of everybodys DNA. She has to be featured in upcoming projects especially avenger type ones. Would be pointless not doing so

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That last episode was ridiculously shit........ but the fact I got that far into this shows it had promise earlier, oh well.

RedDevilRoshi

Just finished watching this. It started off well but towards the end of episode 3, it just took a massive nosedive.