Martin Baturina

bosskeano

The 21-year-old made his senior debut in May 2021 and has since made another 127 appearances, registering 16 goals and 32 assists in the process.

He also impressed for Croatia at the European Under-21 Championship in 2023 and has now won four caps at senior level.

Standing at 5ft 8in, Baturina is a diminutive attacking midfielder that has a low centre of gravity, which allows him to twist and turn out of tight spaces.

His vision, technical ability and dribbling skills have earned him comparisons to Modric, who left Zagreb for Tottenham and has since enjoyed a trophy-laden career at Real Madrid.

“When you compare the two at the same age, you could say that Baturina is further in his development at the same age than Modric,” Croatian journalist Dragan Stojanovic said via Transfermarkt.

“There is no doubt that he is very developed for his age. His strengths are his playmaking abilities, he always has an idea of what to do with the ball next, and reads the game very well.”

He added: “There are almost no weaknesses. Perhaps his only soft spot is his consistency. But I have no doubt that he will be the new Modric.”

https://www.teamtalk.com/manchester...ne-journalist-claims-jewelready-for-next-step

We've been scouting him a while too - always seems to be scouts at his games.

Looks a talented dribbler using strength and balance as well as skill, more physical than Modric

Cant really tell if hes a metronomic passer who will control a game and will do defensive diligence like Modric after his first season at Madrid. Probably not

Looks a talented dribbler using strength and balance as well as skill, more physical than Modric

Cant really tell if hes a metronomic passer who will control a game and will do defensive diligence like Modric after his first season at Madrid. Probably not

definitely gives of modric vibes in how he moves with the ball....his range of passing and creativeness of passing was impressive but the weight of some of those passes were sublime

definitely gives of modric vibes in how he moves with the ball....his range of passing and creativeness of passing was impressive but the weight of some of those passes were sublime

Modric is a volume passer. We cannot tell if he is something like that from a youtube video, thats my point. He clearly has some vision and can play a pass from videos but we dont know if he's playing 20 or 80 passes a game.

So you were watching him for Dinamo Zagreb in 2006? Whats your favourite memory?
Him playing brilliantly against Arsenal in the Champions League. However, he was not a volume passer at that age. That development took place in his latter years at Spurs/Madrid.

Happy to educate.

Someone change the thread title so it’s at least spelt right :lol: I had to open it to even check if it was the player I thought it was.

Feels like a terrible career choice for him. Somewhere like Germany or Italy feels far more logical than United.

Doesn't mean much but he was class player for me on football manager. Won me the Champions league with a winning goal.

Odd how defensive you are on this. It's clear as day that Modric at 21 wasn't the player we know him as today. Yet, this is a point of contention for you. Folk really will argue about anything.

Nobody said he is. You are the one sure that he didnt make lots of passes at that age. I saw him a couple of times for club and country including the Arsenal match you mentioned. I dont remember how involved he was with the ball, just that you could see he was technical, could spot a pass and had a dribble or two. But thats one match, or in my case a couple and I dont have any stats to count how many passes he made. I wasnt counting and neither were you.

I didnt talk about Modric at 21 until you started talking about it

Nobody said he is. You are the one sure that he didnt make lots of passes at that age. I saw him a couple of times for club and country including the Arsenal match you mentioned. I dont remember how involved he was with the ball, just that you could see he was technical, could spot a pass and had a dribble or two. But thats one match, or in my case a couple and I dont have any stats to count how many passes he made. I wasnt counting and neither were you.

I didnt talk about Modric at 21 until you started talking about it
You're looking at a 21 year old and wondering if he is the high volume passer that prime Modric is, despite Modric himself not being that player at 21. From that point of view, it's all guesswork as to whether Baturina becomes Modric-esq or not.

Modric is a volume passer. We cannot tell if he is something like that from a youtube video, thats my point. He clearly has some vision and can play a pass from videos but we dont know if he's playing 20 or 80 passes a game.
Correction, He evolved into a high volume passer over the past 3 years. Before that, he was a 60 to 65 passes a game player. He is quite different from Xavi. He didn't always have to have the ball to control games.

Last edited:
I like him but I’d rather add Angel Gomes on a free given we have Mainoo already as a younger and better prospect. I also like the idea of completing Gomes’ redemption arc and an academy graduate coming back. Simultaneously showing to other academy players that it is possible.

I like him but I’d rather add Angel Gomes on a free given we have Mainoo already as a younger and better prospect. I also like the idea of completing Gomes’ redemption arc and an academy graduate coming back. Simultaneously showing to other academy players that it is possible.
being sentimental shouldn't be a reason to bring someone back...see ronaldo....you take the better prospect

being sentimental shouldn't be a reason to bring someone back...see ronaldo....you take the better prospect

Sentimentality certainly isn’t a priority, that’s just something I wouldn’t mind seeing happen. Despite barely playing for the 1st team he seems like a very good lad who we nurtured so along with his qualities as a player I do also believe he can be a good character in the dressing.

Add in the fact he won’t require a transfer fee (Baturina or a similar player will cost at least £20m) and he’s now and England international. Wanting Gomes over Baturina would not simply be sentimental.

Baturina could well be more of an attacking midfielder. Gomes looks good deeper lying.

I chuckled. He is a solid player, but Modrić was far better at the same age.
I'm curious how can you know Modric was far better at the same age when he was playing in the croatian league as well. I'm not going to pretend I watched the croatian league, but it seems people followed Modric's career since his youngster years.

I'm curious how can you know Modric was far better at the same age when he was playing in the croatian league as well. I'm not going to pretend I watched the croatian league, but it seems people followed Modric's career since his youngster years.

We know already there will be a lot of fibs. I mean posting are mentioning volume passes like Modric wasn’t a winger at 21.

We know already there will be a lot of fibs. I mean posting are mentioning volume passes like Modric wasn’t a winger at 21.
Modric wasn't always a winger. He played in midfield for Croatia before he joined Spurs. That's how I found out about him. Back then they had Srna as their captain.

He’s nowhere close to how good Modric looked at the same age. Is he even better than Jack Fletcher?