Martín Zubimendi | £51m release clause

This makes a lot of sense. But I heard he doesn't want to leave Spain.
Also ugarte deal is close. Personal terms agreed, just need to agree a fee with PSG.

If Utd also brought in Rabiot on a free, who can play 6 and 8, then deffo no room for this lad.

As for not leaving Spain. David Silva told Fergie the same thing when he was at Valencia. Fergie admitted later he dropped off Utds radar and there was suprise that City a few seasons later convinced him to come to England.

Maybe with this lad, come back in a few seasons when he has matured and is ready to leave Spain.

If we signed him he’d be starting most games plus we have europa.
I don’t mind ugarte either, but us having England’s two central midfielders for the next x years would be brilliant ( I think in the next year or so Wharton will be playing instead of rice).
If he stays at palace and excels then you can add another £30m to the price plus he’d have a load of other clubs wanting him. I’d prefer us to go for it now personally

The extra 30m may well be worth it if what you get at the time is a player who is more ready, more developed and more confident and sure of his abilities to compete at PL level.

As I said, I also don’t see him costing more if we wait. The difference is, the narrative would be very different if we paid 85m now than if we paid it in a year, potentially. It would only serve to add to the pressure as the conversation would be about how it’s a ‘massive gamble for a player who’s only played 6 months of PL football’. It will be a highly questioned deal, however, with a larger body of work in the PL - he will have the confidence of all (especially as he is English and the media and pundits are always far kinder to their own than they are to foreign players).

If we signed him he’d be starting most games plus we have europa.
I don’t mind ugarte either, but us having England’s two central midfielders for the next x years would be brilliant ( I think in the next year or so Wharton will be playing instead of rice).
If he stays at palace and excels then you can add another £30m to the price plus he’d have a load of other clubs wanting him. I’d prefer us to go for it now personally
You can add another 30m right now because palace are not going to want to sell after only 6 months. This will be a hostile sale. I don't think they'll want to sell until next summer at the earliest

Also ugarte deal is close. Personal terms agreed, just need to agree a fee with PSG.

If Utd also brought in Rabiot on a free, who can play 6 and 8, then deffo no room for this lad.

As for not leaving Spain. David Silva told Fergie the same thing when he was at Valencia. Fergie admitted later he dropped off Utds radar and there was suprise that City a few seasons later convinced him to come to England.

Maybe with this lad, come back in a few seasons when he has matured and is ready to leave Spain.
This guy's 25 but people are acting like he's some callow youth player. In two seasons, clubs will be thinking twice about paying a big fee for this guy. Probably one of the sparsest summers I can remember for availability of big midfield prospects. Onana and Neves were only two I'd consider as no brainers in terms of being proper needle movers and even at that I don't think their profiles were perfectly suited for United. If he hangs on until he's 27 and a new class of quality prospects inevitably emerges, I can't help feeling he'll have missed his chance.

But Mainoo has that ability and the only reason why he didn't bring that number up was due to him not getting on the ball a lot consistently to do that job. He's pretty good at progressing the ball when the opportunity presents itself, unlike McTominay, yet McTominay has virtually equal percentile stats. We can expect Mainoo to be able to do that in the midst of a press, and we don't expect Mctominay to do that in those same situations. That's what I mean by playstyle changing how a player picks up the stats. A player can be individually good at that part of the game, but the playstyle of how the team decides to bring the ball up can inflate or deflate the progressive passes of a midfielder. How easy were a midfielder's progressive passes achieved? How were they achieved against the best presses? Was the player helped out by the team's movements in that phase of play? I think only people that watch Zubimendi every match or a decent amount can decide if that ability is a strength of his or not, regardless of the stats.

I would say what you're talking about is more composure than progressive passes. And yes Mainoo and Zubimendi have that in buckets over McTominay

I think so especially of Mainoo is going to be our undisputed starter in the 8 role, he is Ten Hag's flagship project so he will start and I am sure long term he will be the player we want him to be.

I think if PSG dig in we could move on, Bayern did and we just moved on and snapped Yoro. I think the days of us chasing players for two months are over.
i certainly hope so which also shows how impotent we were in the transfer market under that ass clown Woodward

You can add another 30m right now because palace are not going to want to sell after only 6 months. This will be a hostile sale. I don't think they'll want to sell until next summer at the earliest
£45m profit in 6 months?
Decent business, even if they did turn it down (which they probably will) id be making it known we want him now and start making Wharton think a little too.

I think Zubimendi's final performance is overhyped personally. It's more about spains best player got injured & Zubimendi did well enough covering Spain's best player for 40 mins.

I feel like people see him as our chance to sign the perfect next Rodri because of this. Zubimendi wasn't that great in the tournament except those 40 mins in the final because he hardly played. Another player that has been overhyped is Dani Olmo - who people think could replace De Bruyne when they play nothing a like but did have an excellent tournament.

Wharton gives us a Scholes/Carrick player. If we sell Casemiro for 20-30 million, Wharton would only cost 20 million more & I've heard that Ugarte is actually most likely to come here on a loan instead of actually buying him this season so we could buy him next season.

If we sell Mctominay aswell then i think this gives us extra money aswell.

We get 2 to 3 CDM playing in 3 different ways - Wharton could cover for both Ugarte as a ball winner and cover Mainoo as a playmaker. However it is a gamble to take a punt on such a young player with arguably 16 games of PL experience but the signing of Yoro and targeting Brantwaithe shows me that this is not much of a concern anymore.

Just to add on top of this as i only have limited posts, rumours have come out that Antony is available for loans which may open up the need for a RW if we regard Garnacho as a primary LW that can play RW. This is why i think we may go for Arda Guler aswell and get ourselves a RW and a CAM that can take over Antony, Greenwood, Bruno Fernandes & Van De Beek all in one transfer.

Wharton, Ugarte, Mainoo, Mount, Bruno Fernandes, Guler - would be a fantastic and balanced midfield - creative both defensively and attacking, engines & runs in to the box and all fairly young.
Guler??? There’s no way he even thinks of leaving Madrid.

Wish we could have found buyers for Casemiro, McTominay and Sancho/Antony then could have afforded to sign him and Ugarte this summer

Thought the saudis were supposed to be bidding for casemiro

Nah unfortunately even they aren't interested,also gutted we seemingly aren't taking up opportunity on Rabiot as a free agent. Really don't think that signing Ugarte on his own would be enough, trouble is we are having trouble finding takers to improve our budget

Last edited:
Wish we could have found buyers for Casemiro, McTominay and Sancho/Antony then could have afforded to sign him and Ugarte this summer
Saudis are interested in Casemiro....Wet Spam and Fulham are interested in McT....Juve showed some interest in Sancho(i think he's out of their financial reach). Nobody wants to buy Antony.

Saudis are interested in Casemiro....Wet Spam and Fulham are interested in McT....Juve showed some interest in Sancho(i think he's out of their financial reach). Nobody wants to buy Antony.
Antony loan seems to be the only option, can't see anyone paying his bloated wages though

Way overhyped. For the right price, sure, but don't overspend on the back of a good international tournament.

He would be useful beating opponent's press on our half.

Saudi transfer window opens today so hopefully the Sheiks' coffers can still be juiced for another season. There's been talk of them moving to younger players for next season but they're our only hope for Casemiro and Antony in particular without taking staggering losses. Probably Sancho too.

Going by the video he would seem a better partner for Mainoo than Ugarte would, though if we could sign Ugarte and Zubimendi that partnership would work well.
For less than the cost of signing both, we could probably prise Wharton away from Crystal Palace - I think he has the combined attributes we are looking for from each, and that would make him the perfect partner for Mainoo.

Is he better than Ugarte? Based on what I have seen - no. Feels like a plan B, if we cannot get Ugarte. Important to have plan Bs, of course, but I would like for us to get a plan A target, for such important position

Ugarte is the better player for us, Zubimendi is very overrated due to the Rodri factor. Many are looking at him like he could be our Rodri but he's not that kind of player, at least physically not. His passing isn't as good either. Mikel Merino is the star of their midfield. Zubimendi is just a more consistent Zubeldia if anything. Nothing special and not worth the amount of money it will cost. We need bite and drive in the middle and he doesn't give that enough whereas Ugarte does. We need someone to protect the back four and win the balls outside in the immediate area outside the box to the centre circle and pass it to the playmakers. Keep it simple. Ugarte fits that profile much better.

It would help people immensely to stop comparing everyone else to Rodri, who is a freak outlier, that for all intents and purposes, exists outside the realm of what clubs get to vie for in the transfer market. Rodri is on course to be an all-time great in his position, if not already there; what he is is far removed from anything else active.

Perhaps Rodri can be held up as the S-tier or platinum standard, but it's essentially setting other players up to fail because they're nowhere near as good as him. Through that lens, we'd never enter the market until a unicorn emerges.

The reality is, there are a lot of imperfect players to go for who offer some things of use, but certainly nothing close to the full package being so highly sought after.

It would help people immensely to stop comparing everyone else to Rodri, who is a freak outlier, that for all intents and purposes, exists outside the realm of what clubs get to vie for in the transfer market. Rodri is on course to be an all-time great in his position, if not already there; what he is is far removed from anything else active.

Perhaps Rodri can be held up as the S-tier or platinum standard, but it's essentially setting other players up to fail because they're nowhere near as good as him. Through that lens, we'd never enter the market until a unicorn emerges.

The reality is, there are a lot of imperfect players to go for who offer some things of use, but certainly nothing close to the full package being so highly sought after.
This, this, a million times this.

Is he better than Ugarte? Based on what I have seen - no. Feels like a plan B, if we cannot get Ugarte. Important to have plan Bs, of course, but I would like for us to get a plan A target, for such important position
Has there been any credible links that we are interested in zubimendi?

So you are saying there is a Unicorn available out there ? :)

Good post!

Didn't someone mention Varella before as a possible alternative or were we never linked to him?

Didn't someone mention Varella before as a possible alternative or were we never linked to him?
I really like him. Deep midfield playmaker, but his passing reminds me a bit of another Argentine who was at Porto - Lucho. Great range and retention. Was immense against Arsenal from a defensive standpoint when they played.

I like the idea of a double pivot that can progress the ball in varied ways, so having Varela as the passer and Mainoo as the dribbler would be a nice fit in my opinion.

Don't think we've been linked in any meaningful way though. A quick search suggests that Liverpool are sniffing around. Also seems to have a £60m release clause, which is probably too rich for us right now, likewise with Zubimendi.

Interesting watch. Would still rather have Ugarte over zubi. Different players I know, but Ugarte is what our midfield needs.

Interesting that analysis says he isn't of the required level in his position for an elite team.

That would be a dream. If we only getting one I favour Zubimendi.

Last edited:
Ugarte AND Zubimendi?

Let Scott, Casemiro, Eriksen and Sofyan go.

You then have Mainoo, Ugarte, Zubimendi + Bruno and Mount. Five players for 3/2 positions.

One one hand you have posters claiming he's better than Xabi Alonso, and on the other you have folks calling him worse than Amrabat.

Classic caf.