Marcus Rashford new contract thread | It's officially signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not though, when Ronaldo was reportedly on 480k here everyone called it 500k, I believe de gea is 375k, but also routinely is referred to as 400k, its not a bias against rashford, its standard practice

Yeah, and it's dumb then! It's the same shite people do when they add another cool £20m on someone's transfer fee, particularly when they aren't playing well. He's not on 400K. He's on 375k. Adding another 25 grand onto it is silly. 375k is already a crazy amount if you wanted to make the argument that it's too much.

I get that and have said before that without his goals last year we simply wouldn't be in the champions league. Given the absolutely vital financial need for champions league football that's an argument right there for rewarding success. But there's no denying that the clubs wage structure has been an abomination over the past ten years or so, with often the highest wages in the league and a dismal return from that showing (no premiership or champions league wins, no real proper challenges, multiple top 4 fails). DDG, Sanchez, Ronaldo, Sancho, etc are/were on obscene wages. I was actually excited by the prospect of our players having slightly more reasonable contracts.

Just supposing we were in talks with Kane or Mbappe or someone of that class, do they look at Rashford's alleged wages and demand similar? I'm not saying they will but i'm genuinely curious to see if this has a knock on effect, especially considering that these examples are both better players than Rashford.
If we sign both of them on a free in a years time, then yes both would be getting more probably. That would happen regardless of Rashford getting his contract or not. Also if we are buying a player to replace him, said player isn't going to be playing for free. Antony cost 100m and is on 200k a week, Sancho 80m on 350k a week etc...

But Sterling is getting paid over £300k a week on top of the nearly £50m they spent to sign him. The road to improving our team isn’t by losing Rashford for free.
And that was an overpay at the time. City sold him a year after signing it and I bet Chelsea fans are regretting paying him similar wages.

I do agree that we almost had to pay Rashford this as losing him on a free is just not an option.

The damage was done three years ago when Woodward committed to paying young and u proven Martial and Rashford £200k a week. What's happening now is just the snowballing effect of their first big contract extension.

Tbh it's more the domino effectm if rashford get 375k, why shouldn't Bruno, whichever striker we bring in will want close to that, then you have a whole team all on inflated salaries. If it was someone like mbappe fair enough, but rashford isn't good enough to justify that high a salary and giving him it would encourage the rest to act similar, knowing they can run their contract down and we'll buckle to the pressure

Well, in terms of us as a club, and our wage structure, then yeah - it's been a fecking disaster for years. In terms of Rashford not being worth it...I mean, he certainly justifies it more than any other player we've paid a massive wage to in the last decade or so. And if we had to bring in a player to replace the numbers he can put up, then we'd be paying them somewhere close, too. I'm afraid the horse has bolted from the stable in terms of us and our wage structure.

That was fecked way before this Rashford deal.

I’d like to think Rashford is worth more than the pay on the table. His contribution on the pitch does not warrant the hike but I think the name is valued higher.
Maradona was my idol and the principle still stands for me. In any other business he will be entitled to be adequately compensated for his contributions to our earnings, without players like Rashford we won’t be as relevant right now.
I’m a massive fan of his, though his game is not up to where I’d like to see it but hey we are all guilty of some form favouritism.

Yeah, and it's dumb then! It's the same shite people do when they add another cool £20m on someone's transfer fee, particularly when they aren't playing well. He's not on 400K. He's on 375k. Adding another 25 grand onto it is silly. 375k is already a crazy amount if you wanted to make the argument that it's too much.

Fine but it doesn't change the crux of the argument, 375k is too much for rashford in my view

Fine but it doesn't change the crux of the argument, 375k is too much for rashford in my view
Yeah but it's one of Glazers, Qatari's or Ratcliff paying it. So who cares at this point? It's not as if it would be used for something constructive if it didn't go to the one player still worth watching.

Hopefully the 425 k get confirmed soon :drool:
Sign it already, Marcus!

Well, in terms of us as a club, and our wage structure, then yeah - it's been a fecking disaster for years. In terms of Rashford not being worth it...I mean, he certainly justifies it more than any other player we've paid a massive wage to in the last decade or so. And if we had to bring in a player to replace the numbers he can put up, then we'd be paying them somewhere close, too. I'm afraid the horse has bolted from the stable in terms of us and our wage structure.

That was fecked way before this Rashford deal.

I'd say he justifies 250k, maybe 275k at the most, but we cant say that because Woodward fecked us, there's no point making an effort to change things, it might be worth the short term pain of losing him to make a proper change to the club's wage structure and how we deal with players,

Not to mention look at the shit mbappe gets for being motivated by money, and how we shouldn't sign him or players only interested in the cash, but we should move heaven and earth to keep a guy who came through our youth academy and owes the club a lot, but would happily turn us down to earn an extra few million in Paris each year

Yeah but it's one of Glazers, Qatari's or Ratcliff paying it. So who cares at this point? It's not as if it would be used for something constructive if it didn't go to the one player still worth watching.

Well first off the new ffp stuff coming in is limiting based on wages and transfers I think, 70% of revenue as a cap. So we can't afford to have average players oj silly money (not that rashford is average but if we give him 375k, average players can expect 200k)

Well first off the new ffp stuff coming in is limiting based on wages and transfers I think, 70% of revenue as a cap. So we can't afford to have average players oj silly money (not that rashford is average but if we give him 375k, average players can expect 200k)
Rashford has a lot going for him over other players even of similar caliber (footballing wise). Just being homegrown for England is worth a couple of tens of grand a week, never mind being homegrown for the club. Any average player bringing up Rashfords contract in negotiations should be shown the door.

Not that I think FFP will become anymore of a factor than it has been anyway. Football is getting more corrupt by the year, and I don't see any signs of a change in that trend on the horizon at all.

I'd say he justifies 250k, maybe 275k at the most, but we cant say that because Woodward fecked us, there's no point making an effort to change things, it might be worth the short term pain of losing him to make a proper change to the club's wage structure and how we deal with players,

Not to mention look at the shit mbappe gets for being motivated by money, and how we shouldn't sign him or players only interested in the cash, but we should move heaven and earth to keep a guy who came through our youth academy and owes the club a lot, but would happily turn us down to earn an extra few million in Paris each year
Isn't it the other way round though? If we're going off of what the papers are saying he was offered 400k by PSG so even if the 375k is real that's less.

Why are people making out that the alternative to daft wages was losing him on a free? The lad isn't going to feck off if he 'only' earned 250k with us. Do people honestly think he's that disloyal or money driven?

Rashford has a lot going for him over other players even of similar caliber (footballing wise). Just being homegrown for England is worth a couple of tens of grand a week, never mind being homegrown for the club. Any average player bringing up Rashfords contract in negotiations should be shown the door.

Not that I think FFP will become anymore of a factor than it has been anyway. Football is getting more corrupt by the year, and I don't see any signs of a change in that trend on the horizon at all.

That's how it works though, look at Barcelona, once they gave Messi over a million a week then other players started getting 400k and 500k a week, once he got a contract worth 550m over 4 years, they had to give griezmann about 800k a week, de Jong 400k a week, busquets something like 500k a week. Its just what happens

Isn't it the other way round though? If we're going off of what the papers are saying he was offered 400k by PSG so even if the 375k is real that's less.

The point is if he's happy to go and play in second rate league for an extra 100k a week rather than stay at his boyhood club, it doesn't say that much about him does it, if we're trying to avoid mercenaries

That's how it works though, look at Barcelona, once they gave Messi over a million a week then other players started getting 400k and 500k a week, once he got a contract worth 550m over 4 years, they had to give griezmann about 800k a week, de Jong 400k a week, busquets something like 500k a week. Its just what happens
Non of them 3 listed are "average" players.

Simple truth is Rashford for years has been earning less than Martial and DdG. For two years he has been earning less than bloody Sancho. This is before we even get into our two ex Madrid players’ wages.
Now United either pay him what he deserves (which I am sure we will) or he just signs for free for someone else in 1 year and gets not only huge wages but also a massive sign-on fee/bonus.

To me, that's just fantasy land. It's like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

You say it may be worth losing him. Then what? We're going to pay a massive transfer fee to someone (more than Rashford is going to make over his entire contract length, by the way), and then give them a huge wage on top of it. It's all well and good saying we should stop with these big wages, but that's simply not the world we're in.

Also, I think it's a little disingenuous again from you to make out that he's a mercenary motivated solely by money. Yes, I'm not naive enough to think that the man would play for the club for free or any shit like that, but it's clear he has a love and connection to the club that most players who walk through the door haven't got.

Again, this situation is not like some of the other situations we've found ourselves in regarding handing out huge wages to certain players.

Non of them 3 listed are "average" players.

Maybe not, but the point is when one player gets a hugely inflated contract it sets a precedent for everyone else, also I believe there were actually average players who were getting 200k or so at Barca, it's just a general point,

Maybe not, but the point is when one player gets a hugely inflated contract it sets a precedent for everyone else, also I believe there were actually average players who were getting 200k or so at Barca, it's just a general point,
Not going to argue with you on the workings of Barcelona because they're a shit show too but the precedent as already been set at United so why break it for a player we know can have a big impact for us? Say we let him go for free, now we have to replace him how much does that cost? And what wage is his replacement on? Because the last 2 wingers we brought in cost 170m + and are on a collective 550k a week reportedly and both haven't contributed as much as Rashford combined.

Not going to argue with you on the workings of Barcelona because they're a shit show too but the precedent as already been set at United so why break it for a player we know can have a big impact for us? Say we let him go for free, now we have to replace him how much does that cost? And what wage is his replacement on? Because the last 2 wingers we brought in cost 170m + and are on a collective 550k a week reportedly and both haven't contributed as much as Rashford combined.

Because we need to change how things are done. Giving de gea a 375k a week contract is not a reason to give his replacement who's likely going to be better even more money. And bad signings and wasted money doesn't warrant wasting more

Rashford earned those wages by bagging over 34 goal involvements in 3 out of his last 4 seasons. If Gakpo got those numbers in the Premier League over the next few seasons then I'm sure he'd get a similarly hefty pay rise in a few years time.
Judging a player by his goal involvements is a very low level way of seeing football.

£375k a week is madness and we'll live to regret it.

Fantastic turnaround season by Marcus, but from his performances in the two seasons before were abysmal and he still has to prove his consistency.

This was a great opportunity to take back control of the wage bill with de Gea's deal being lowered. £250k- £300k would have been more acceptable for Rashford.

I can't believe some of the prominent contributors in this thread call themselves fans of this football club.
It is a depressing reading.

If I were Rashford, I'd just wait for the new owner to join in. If it's the Qataris, I'd just fleece them and ask for 1m/wk.

Last edited:
He wouldn't get in their squad, he's not capable of playing the way they do
Nonsense, of course he'd get in to the squad. But i don't think he'd start ahead of Grealish this past season, while the season before he'd be a key player and put up huge numbers. He doesn't suit working with a striker like Haaland, but before Haaland went there they needed somebody just like Rashford to be a direct threat and give that bit different.

Judging a player by his goal involvements is a very low level way of seeing football.
Interesting. I guess Haaland's PL record breaking goal tally can be dismissed because people with a high level understanding of football like yourself are able to see how other strikers are far superior to Haaland, as they score far fewer goals but do more of something else.

Ah the expert level fans again who think they know as much as actual football managers.
“Rashford won’t get into City’s team”. Well currently probably not, as Pep already has two players (yes his two star players) KdB and Haaland who are not his typical players. But they are mostly the ones who make his system less predictable and less one dimensional.
Same way a few years ago people were convinced Pep won’t sign someone like Haaland.
Same way some people predicted last summer that our front 3 under ETH would be Martial, Sancho and Antony.
Same way people predicted VdB just because he knows the Ajax way would play instead of Bruno under ETH.

Nonsense, of course he'd get in to the squad. But i don't think he'd start ahead of Grealish this past season, while the season before he'd be a key player and put up huge numbers. He doesn't suit working with a striker like Haaland, but before Haaland went there they needed somebody just like Rashford to be a direct threat and give that bit different.
I beg to differ but it's moot because it's never happened and it's never likely to

I am not convinced that this needed doing right now! do not think Rashford was on the verge of leaving, certainly waiting until after the takeover and even the closure of the transfer window would have been an option, unless as part of the takeover the new owners wanted his long term contract securing.

As for the wage, it worries me only in the roll down affect.

In terms of the player, whether he would or not get into every 1st 11 maybe, but he is easily one of the best players at the club and one of the best forwards in modern football.... if we were looking at signing Rashford from another club how much would he be worth? well over £100m no doubt, if this is what was needed then so be it

Rashford deserves his salary. It is crazy money, but it's the going rate for a 25 year old who has just come off a 30 goal season. We would be lucky to have made the UEFA Conference League without his goals and the way we are moving in the transfer market this summer, we may need another 30 off him next year.

I too have a few doubts about him, but United have stitched themselves up by giving the likes of Sancho massive salaries. Very easy argument for Rashford's agents to make when you compare his output to that of Sancho. Saka just got 300k+ a week from Arsenal, which was his first big contract at the age of 21.

Instead of fans thinking about Rashford in years when we was playing injured and for inept managers, let's think about what he has just done under the instruction of ETH. Mayne this is the new norm for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.