Marcus Rashford England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Trying to put myself in Marcus' shoes, if I accept the idea that most of the abusive message I get are trolls and bots I then have to sieve through them to find the real abusive messages, then what am I actually doing?

Abuse in the stadium is unfortunately a staple of football, at my local semi-pro club there is a regular who makes it his responsibilty to let the opposition left back know just how shite he is for 90 minutes. This season they've given him the job of laying out the cones for the pre-match warm up and he gets to sit in the dugout, which has stopped him shouting "YOU'RE FECKING SHITE NUMBER 2" on the regular.

I mean its easy to put yourself in someones shoes but can you imagine being in poor form, getting critics for your performances, getting abuse from your fans? Then you have Sky sports and other media outlets putting spreads about you to heap on the pressure?

Then you go to the stadium, and you are getting booed from the home crowd.

I get it, he should deal with it but I can see why it can become too much for a player, especially if you are a confidence player and already low in it.

I mean its easy to put yourself in someones shoes but can you imagine being in poor form, getting critics for your performances, getting abuse from your fans? Then you have Sky sports and other media outlets putting spreads about you to heap on the pressure?

I get it, he should deal with it but I can see why it can become too much for a player, especially if you are a confidence player and already low in it.

Yeah, if even just three of my mates were having a go at me, I’d probably be pretty disturbed. So having thousands of people piling on? That would definitely be tough to handle.

But to flip it around, would I take that kind of abuse from tens of thousands of people for £300k a week? Absolutely. I’d stand naked in the middle of Old Trafford while 80,000 people shouted out every embarrassing thing I’ve ever done.

So yeah, I guess you’ve got to take the rough with the smooth.

The study was from 2021 - from a US based gambling website that brought them huge engagement at the time and continues to do so.

Their methodology was vague and questionable. They picked 75 athletes of their own choosing between June 2020 – June 2021 and then searched for "messages containing words, phrases and hashtags that were known abusive terms were logged against each player and the respective sport they play/ played in".

For LeBron as an example, the nickname LeBrick was classed as abusive - (ie he bricks/misses shots)

Delete account from cesspit like Twitter.

Disable commenting or enable limited commenting when posting on Insta. Can't he or others use these options?
I presume because he uses to interact with genuine fans. I think other people respond and I saw him promising a jersey to someone the other week however yes he may have to consider other options.

Sorry, i thought this was the nature of top level elite sport. Fecking Messi was close to quitting playing for Argentina and Ronaldo had knives out for him for his second stint here. No place at all for racist abuse, but this is the world we live in and if you use social media for your own benefit you know what comes with it

You expect all the trappings, status and rewards of fame but buckle with responsibility that comes with it. He had his best season, got his contract then put in a stinker of a season performance and attitude wise, so he is paying back the price for that. Dont mug off or manipulate fans, much better players had to deal with backlash than Rashford

It's just a better idea to address shitty behaviour rather than start telling people how they should restrict their normal behaviours to avoid it.
The problem with the internet is there is no end. You shut down one and another crops up almost immediately. The relative anonymity of the internet also makes it a long drawn process to keep punishing every abuser. At some point, one needs to consider if the good outweighs the bad, especially if it affects the player.

Yeah, if even just three of my mates were having a go at me, I’d probably be pretty disturbed. So having thousands of people piling on? That would definitely be tough to handle.

But to flip it around, would I take that kind of abuse from tens of thousands of people for £300k a week? Absolutely. I’d stand naked in the middle of Old Trafford while 80,000 people shouted out every embarrassing thing I’ve ever done.

So yeah, I guess you’ve got to take the rough with the smooth.

Sorry, i thought this was the nature of top level elite sport. Fecking Messi was close to quitting playing for Argentina and Ronaldo had knives out for him for his second stint here. No place at all for racist abuse, but this is the world we live in and if you use social media for your own benefit you know what comes with it

You expect all the trappings, status and rewards of fame but buckle with responsibility that comes with it. He had his best season, got his contract then put in a stinker of a season performance and attitude wise, so he is paying back the price for that. Dont mug off or manipulate fans, much better players had to deal with backlash than Rashford

I agree with both, you are getting paid alot of money means you have higher expectations from fans. All I was saying is, I can understand why it affects him. Like I have said before, Marcus is someone who gets really low or really high, there is no middle ground. Its just like his football, he is either a 9/10 or a 2/10.

When you come into elite sport and you are scoring goals, you are interacting on social media but when you are in terrible form, you will get criticism.

The problem with the internet is there is no end. You shut down one and another crops up almost immediately. The relative anonymity of the internet also makes it a long drawn process to keep punishing every abuser. At some point, one needs to consider if the good outweighs the bad, especially if it affects the player.
In the UK at least it does look like some Twitter posters are being held to account after the recent riots, if a few in this instance were prosecuted for the more egregious posts then maybe when some people see some potential consequences they might think twice

Something from the Barnsley match that I haven't seen anyone mention about Rashy that I thought was nicely done.
The first chance he had to run at that CB during the game, he went down his outside and quickly got the shot off. This allowed him to set up the inside move for the first goal.
From a player who's decision making I often criticise, I was impressed.
You can see this below

The living embodiment of the but you participate in society meme.

Besides forums aren't typical social media platforms and don't have the same issues as Twitter etc, given the anonymous and niche nature of places like the Caf.
Forums like the CAF were one of the original types of social media, if it wasn't for the Mods it wouldn't be far off the likes of Twitter, and if someone like Rashford actually was on here he probably would be thinking WTF, this lot are supposed to be supporters of the team I play for!

Forums like the CAF were one of the original types of social media, if it wasn't for the Mods it wouldn't be far off the likes of Twitter, and if someone like Rashford actually was on here he probably would be thinking WTF, this lot are supposed to be supporters of the team I play for!

Forums like this are VERY different to Twitter etc because of the way everyone is anonymous. Someone having a pop at our redcafe persona is nowhere near as upsetting as it would be to have your real name and identity as a target for abuse. With the added stress of your real life friends and family seeing what’s going on. Even more so if you’re not allowed anonymity but most of your abusers are.

Good to see Marcus back firing. Fair play to ETH for calling out Rashford’s lack of ‘professionalism’ last season in order to set standards.