Kick-off
Wed, 15 May 2024 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ..................VS....................

Date: Wednesday, May 15 2024

Kickoff Time: 2000 Hrs BST
    Venue: Old Trafford, Manchester

League Standings And Form Guide

8. Manchester United: DWDLL
    6. Newcastle United: WLWWD

Previous League Meetings

Newcastle United 1—0 Manchester United

Newcastle United 2—0 Manchester United

Manchester United 0—0 Newcastle United

Newcastle United 1—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 4—1 Newcastle United

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 82
    Newcastle United wins: 44
    Draws: 41

Pre-Match Pressers

Erik ten Hag

Eddie Howe

Team News

Manchester United

Tyrell Malacia, Raphaël Varane, Luke Shaw, Victor Lindelöf, Harry Maguire and Mason Mount ruled out. Bruno Fernandes, Amad Diallo, Lisandro Martínez, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford doubtful.

Newcastle United

Sven Botman, Jamaal Lascelles, Joe Willock, Fabian Schär, Lewis Miley, Matt Targett and Sandro Tonali ruled out. Callum Wilson doubtful.

Know The Opposition

Newcastle United Football Club (nicknamed The Magpies) is a professional football club based in Newcastle upon Tyne. The first record of football being played on Tyneside dates from 3 March 1877 at Elswick Rugby Club. Later that year, Newcastle's first football club, Tyne Association, was formed. The team was renamed Newcastle East End F.C. in October 1882. Shortly after this, another Byker side, Rosewood FC, merged with East End to form an even stronger side. Meanwhile, across the city, West End Cricket Club began to take an interest in football and in August 1882, they formed Newcastle West End F.C. West End played their early football on their cricket pitch, but in May 1886, the club moved into St. James' Park.

The two clubs became rivals in the Northern League. During the spring of 1892, in a season during which West End's results were at an all-time low, and in which they had lost to their bitter rivals, East End, five times, West End found themselves in serious trouble. They approached East End with a view to a take over, the directors having decided that the club could no longer continue — leading to a merger of the two rivals as Newcastle East End decided to adopt a new name in recognition of the merger.Suggested names included Newcastle F.C., Newcastle Rangers, Newcastle City and City of Newcastle, but Newcastle United was decided upon on 9 December 1892, to signify the unification of the two teams.

The club has been a member of the Premier League for all but three years of the competition's history, spending 85 seasons in the top tier as of May 2016, and has never dropped below English football's second tier since joining the Football League in 1893. They have won four League Championship titles, six FA Cups and a Charity Shield, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup. Newcastle United has the ninth highest total of trophies won by an English club. The club's most successful period was between 1904 and 1910, when they won an FA Cup and three of their First Division titles. The club were highly successful in the Premier League in the 1990s and early 2000s without winning any trophies, but have been mostly struggling since the 2006–07 season, and were relegated in 2009 and 2016.

Newcastle has a fierce local rivalry with Sunderland, and the two clubs have engaged in the Tyne-Wear derby since 1898. Newcastle play their home games at St James' Park — which has been the home ground of Newcastle United since 1892 and has been used for football since 1880.

Referee

Robert Jones.

Familiar Faces

N/A.​

Todd

With two wins and two losses by Spurs, Newcastle can still get the Europa League spot via goal differential, so they've got it all to play for.

I think they'll fare better than Arsenal did. 2-0 to them.

Castia

This will be a Palace performance with Newcastle bagging 3-4 goals.

Comfortable Newcastle win

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    Supports
    Also support Vasco da Gama
    Wonder what reception the squad and manager will get during the end-of-season lap of honor

BorisManUtd

Last home game so would be nice if they make an effort and don't lose.

Any player back for this one? Would try Mainoo-Amrabat-Bruno midfield for this one if Bruno is ready by then.

rajds89

Wonder what reception the squad and manager will get during the end-of-season lap of honor
    I hope the ground empties as soon as the final whistle goes. These players and that manager don't deserve any reception for this abysmal season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Feels unlikely we win both of our last 2 games (even one feels a stretch), but 1 win would at best bring us level on points but behind on GD to Newcastle and Chelsea, while they have much simpler final games than us against Brighton. Slight chance we finish in 9th if we lost both games and Brighton win both. Realistically seems like 8th is just our position and pretty firm in there, with a negative GD. Rough one. So this is effectively an end of season friendly.

TheRedHearted

With two wins and two losses by Spurs, Newcastle can still get the Europa League spot via goal differential, so they've got it all to play for.

I think they'll fare better than Arsenal did. 2-0 to them.
    If they don’t get the spot supposedly they are gonna be a little forced to sell Guimares. Wish he wouldn’t be so expensive

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    Who can be arsed! I turned the arsenal game off after they scored, then realised I’m a machinist because I turned it back on at half time…Just bring on the cup final and leave this horrible season behind us!

edgecutter

Eth has no excuses with this game. Newcastle have as many injuries as we have and if we get outplayed again like the league cup he needs gone after the final.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
    Stevenage
    Assuming we get nobody back, I'd love to see this from our available players (Not that we will get it):

Onana
    Dalot Evans Kambwala Amass
    Mainoo Amrabat
    Antony Amad Garnacho
    Hojlund

I'd like to see Amad centrally and think he will help, Mainoo & Amrabat played well together and I think we need Dalot back to RB. I know Amass is young but there is zero expectation and currently playing AWB at either wingback isn't helping, we are playing with 10 with him there and this fanbase shows patience with youngsters so if he doesn't play well it won't be the end of the world or much different to what AWB offers.

Fallon d'Floor

Newcastle can lose this and still finish ahead of us by beating Brentford on the final day. Their GD is miles better.

I think it'll be a draw.

Xaviboy

They will bully us. Be very physical game for us. So best resting a few players for cup final.

pocco

loco
    Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Had a feeling a couple of weeks ago that we were going to get pasted by somebody and I felt it would be Newcastle. It came against Palace, but I'd still not be surprised if these run up a scoreline. They'll be physical, do a lot of running and have players in positions that will hurt us. I don't think ETH will treat these like he does City, Arsenal and Liverpool where we stay compact and try to keep the score down, and these are just as dangerous on their day.

IRN-BRUno

Should use this game to decide the compensation for Ashworth. Every Newcastle goal = £1m.

miked99

Might do alright in this one. Newcastle aren't that good away from home, or that good in general.

It's the decider to establish who's had the most inept season.

Red Royal

Throw in anyone who is close to fitness to replace those who are flagging. We need to rotate badly.

Kambwala, Licha, Bruno, Martinez - if fit need to start. Hope Amad is okay and try Wheatley in this one.

------Onana--------
    AWB Kambwala Licha Dalot
    Amrabat
    Mainoo
    Amad Bruno Rashford
    Wheately

Edit: removed the 12th man :D

Last edited:

Todd

Throw in anyone who is close to fitness to replace those who are flagging. We need to rotate badly.

Kambwala, Licha, Bruno, Martinez - if fit need to start. Hope Amad is okay and try Wheatley in this one.

------Onana--------
    AWB Kambwala Licha Dalot
    Amrabat
    Mainoo Mount
    Amad Bruno Rashford
    Wheately
    Think anyone will notice we've snuck an extra man onto the pitch?

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
    ETH must want to play Fernandes in goal, he's doubtful because of a hand/wrist injury.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 54% of 201 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 187 ratings.

Score Predictions