Manchester United 2:2 Steven Gerrard's Villa (Sat 23rd July, 10:45 UK time)

And if Bailey had skipped past him with nobody back in defence to help out you'd be calling him a moron for doing just that. It's fecking easy in hindsight to say that "anything other than what he did would've been better", but in a regular situation you'd expect your teammates to put in more effort in getting back rather than taking a chance as the last defender on a 50/50 tackle.

There's no point keep going on about it...you're just completely wrong. The point of backtracking is when you fear the opponents pace and don't want to be left out of the game 45-yards from your goal. That's fine.

What is completely unacceptable is letting a player run 40-yards unopposed. Doesn't even show Bailey in either direction once he approaches our box "there you go lad, have a shot or go on my outside and put a cross in, either is fine"

The midfield is really struggling to have any sort of control in this half. Villa definitely the better side since half time. Would like a couple subs to see if they can improve us.

The job of a centre-back is to stop the opponent from entering dangerous positions. I have seen my share of top CBs over the years and they would rather take the initiative to stop the opponent with a tackle rather than hope for someone to help at all, especially when that help is as slow as Maguire.
Are you seriously advocating taking a chance on making a tackle 40 yards from goal as the last defender, as opposed to try to slow the action down and wait for fellow defenders to help you out?

If so, then we're obviously disagreeing on basic fundamentals of defending, so I'm not going to make any further posts on this subject.

If Luke Shaw had sprinted and not jogged back, Bailey would've been intercepted as soon as he turned inside on his left foot. But Luke Shaw jogged, so it's Lindelöf's fault for not making a rash tackle 40 yards from goal.

Shaw needs hooking he's struggling

Easy to blame the pitch but our passing has been horrific this half and precisely the reason I think despite all ETH efforts, he can’t polish a turd and some of these players are not at a level to be relied upon for a season.
I mean, they are trying to pass it on a pitch that resembles The Somme.

Easy to blame the pitch but our passing has been horrific this half and precisely the reason I think despite all ETH efforts, he can’t polish a turd and some of these players are not at a level to be relied upon for a season.

some fans……

feck off Bailey you idiot it's nowhere near his arm :lol:

Second half has been shocking. I'd say the conditions are playing a part but our levels have really dropped off.

Bailey got us on toast. Shaw and Lindelof looking awful. I’d bring on Malacia at least. Varane and Eric can’t play on this pitch

We've reverted a bit this half. Not making the effort to move as a team so Bruno is trying his hollywood passes. EtH will be flippin' furious.

Second half has been shocking. I'd say the conditions are playing a part but our levels have really dropped off.
Think the fitness is struggling on this pitch tbh. They've made plenty of changes and it's showing.

It's a heavy boggy pitch that is energy sapping

Shaw is constantly like 5 yards too high

This half is showing the need to have at least 1 cb with pace when we play a high line. Shame Varane has been injury prone so far.

Really seeing the limitations of Fred and Bruno and Donny here. Fred and Bruno absolutely useless under pressure, Donny invisible. Maguire's been very good.