Make your squad - '68 '99 '08 starting line ups

Hargreaves never really established himself as a class DM for us. His best outings for us were on the right wing/back.

I wish we had a DM like Hargreaves in our squad. His form that season was one of the main reasons we got so far in all the competitions.

The Cl final was the only time he played on the right wing. And think the semis against Barca was the only time he played RB.

Sure, which doesn't go against anything I said. Merely stating that most of his memorable matches were on the right, and that he was never really a massive presence for us in the centre of the park, aside from one match against Arsenal at home.

I wish we had a DM like Hargreaves in our squad. His form that season was one of the main reasons we got so far in all the competitions.

Really? I doubt there's a lot of people who consider Hargreaves at CM a big part of what helped us to our double in 07-08. The first few matches he generally looked a bit rushed on the ball, and when he settled he was never a revelation. He found his stride towards the end of the season, culminating in one really good performance against Arsenal at CM, and a couple of good outings on the right hand side.

I was excited about the signing, like a lot of other people, but most of the season was him bedding in, and then he started showing some decent stuff in the spring, but he was not looking like nailed-on starter at CM for most of the season. And, as we know, after that season he barely played for us again.

Always think these threads are a bit daft as you can't really answer unless you were alive to see the team in 68. Charlton etc were undoubtably excellent players, but I've never seen him play so think it's a bit daft to make a team with him in it.

I'll do treble year plus 07/08.

Edwin
Neville - Ferdinand - Stam - Evra
Carrick
Scholes - Keane
Beckham - Ronaldo - Giggs​

What a side. Imagine Beckham crossing for Ronaldo to head in bullet headers like against Roma.

Always think these threads are a bit daft as you can't really answer unless you were alive to see the team in 68. Charlton etc were undoubtably excellent players, but I've never seen him play so think it's a bit daft to make a team with him in it.

I'll do treble year plus 07/08.

Edwin
Neville - Ferdinand - Stam - Evra
Carrick
Scholes - Keane
Beckham - Ronaldo - Giggs​

What a side. Imagine Beckham crossing for Ronaldo to head in bullet headers like against Roma.

Depends if you've read up on the players and their styles as such. Now I'm by no means an expert but some of the draft junkies on here could tell you every strength and weakness of Charltons game and will have watched countless hours of him playing.

Going off what little I've seen of most of the 68 team:

Schmeichel​
Neville-Ferdinand-Stam-Evra
Scholes-Stiles
Charlton​
Best-Rooney-Ronaldo​

68: Best, Charlton, Stiles
99: Schmeichel, Neville, Stam
08: Scholes, Ferdinand, Rooney, Ronaldo, Evra

Schmeichel
Neville--Ferdinand--Stam--Evra
Stiles
Beckham--Charlton
Best--Yorke--Ronaldo

Using only the starting line-ups and the versions of players in the final.

----------Schmeichel-------------
Irwin---Ferdinand---Stam---Evra
--------------Stiles---------------
-------Scholes---Charlton-------
Best-------------------------Ronaldo
--------------Tevez------------------

X-formation-tactics.png

300px-Benfica_vs_Man_Utd_1968-05-29.svg.png

300px-Man_Utd_vs_Bayern_Munich_1999-05-26.svg.png

300px-Man_Utd_vs_Chelsea_2008-05-21.svg.png

How cute. You guys did diagrams with little pointy arrows and everything.

Bet OP feels really special.

Depends if you've read up on the players and their styles as such. Now I'm by no means an expert but some of the draft junkies on here could tell you every strength and weakness of Charltons game and will have watched countless hours of him playing.

Where is there even countless hours of footage to watch Charlton? Maybe highlight clips online but that's it.

Where is there even countless hours of footage to watch Charlton? Maybe highlight clips online but that's it.

There's a lot of full games on YouTube. Various European Cup games, FA Cup finals plus England games. There's a lot more than you may think.

I'd be tempted to drop Schmeichel who was a little past his best in 1999 for Van der Sar who was old but still gold.

-------------------Schmeichel---------------------
G.Neville----Ferdinand------Stam--------Irwin--
Beckham------Keane--Scholes------Giggs---
---------------Yorke------Cole---

Basically the '99 team. Plus Rio. Chemisty was perfect.

1. Schmeichel
2. Neville
3. Irwin
4. Scholes
5. Stam
6. Ferdinand
7. Best
8. Charlton
9. Ronaldo
10. Rooney
11. Giggs

12. Dunne
13. Van der Sar
14. Beckham
15. Vidic
16. Carrick
17. Cole
18. Solskjaer

Schmeichel
Dunne
G Neville
Ferdinand
Stam
Stiles
Scholes
Charlton
Ronaldo
Best
Rooney

Assuming you only mean the starting XIs in the European Cup Finals

1. Schmikes
2. Neville
3. Evra
4. Vidic
5. Ferdinand
6. Scholes
7. Beckham
8. Charlton
9. Ronaldo
10. Best
11. Giggs

Schmeichel
Irwin Rio Stam Evra
Scholes Stiles Charlton
Ronaldo Rooney Best.

Subs.VDS, G.Nev. Vidic,Carrick,Giggs, Solskjaer.