Lukaku has hit the weights

Man Utd 1:1 Chelsea
These days he looks gassed after 20 minutes. He's definitely one of the players Ole has been alluding to regarding the terrible fitness levels. Needs to replace the weights with a treadmill or there's no chance he survives pre season.

It was a shame. He started the game really well.

If we can get him fit enough to play full games like he did the first 20 minutes he'll be a very useful player.

Exactly. Just Gatlin (Famously known for his rivalry with Usian Bolt) is more muscly than any footballer I can think of.
That would be great if all Lukaku had to do was sprint for 10 seconds a few times a day.
Footballers are endurance athletes, how many other top level strikers have bulked up to his level?

That would be great if all Lukaku had to do was sprint for 10 seconds a few times a day.
Footballers are endurance athletes, how many other top level strikers have bulked up to his level?
Exactly, footballers run in so many different trajectories than a straight line too. It really is simple, Cristiano Ronaldo has achieved the ideal physique for a footballer, why don't most footballers try to have that kinda discipline to improve themselves ? Whatever Lukaku did, it's just wrong and not efficient for his role.

Exactly, footballers run in so many different trajectories than a straight line too. It really is simple, Cristiano Ronaldo has achieved the ideal physique for a footballer, why don't most footballers try to have that kinda discipline to improve themselves ? Whatever Lukaku did, it's just wrong and not efficient for his role.
Add in how much more effective Shaw would be with better body conditioning.
Many of our players just don't look as fit as they should be.

Chicharito put on much too much weight before he left us and he definitely was worse for it

Add in how much more effective Shaw would be with better body conditioning.
Many of our players just don't look as fit as they should be.
It's frustrating really, people with less ressources, less access to doctors and trainers can show more dedication to their fitness than this group of players. The way they all get tired around the same time in the game is fecking annoying.

Had some nice work out wide, and one almost Everton-esque run into acres.
But in his actual position he's just not what we need.

He'll probably survive the summer, but only because there's 6-8 who need shipping out first.

It was a shame. He started the game really well.

If we can get him fit enough to play full games like he did the first 20 minutes he'll be a very useful player.
I agree, but he's been talking about this since around October time and still seems to have the same issue. It might be hard to do during the season, I don't know, but months later he's still wrecked after half an hour.

Although he did put a shift in tracking back against Liverpool.

What's that got to do with it? Talking about his endurance here.

Well suggesting someone’s is overweight usually means their fat.

Anyway I do find it strange that both Lukaku and Shaw look overweight and nothing has been done about it all season. A whole team of experts from nutrition to fitness and no one has told them to stop lifting weights?

Well suggesting someone’s is overweight usually means their fat.

Anyway I do find it strange that both Lukaku and Shaw look overweight and nothing has been done about it all season. A whole of experts from nutrition to fitness and no one has told them to stop lifting weights?

Fair enough. I know what you mean.

Chicharito put on much too much weight before he left us and he definitely was worse for it
All our players seem to bulk up. Ever since Ronaldo it seems like they expect a similar transformation, it’s really strange.

You do wonder what our sports science team is up to. It's not a good look when Manchester United is bottom of the sprints, distance covered tables etc. We have nice facilities, access to the best technology and yet our players by and large seem unfit.

Possibly impacted by recruiting larger players like Matic, Lukaku etc, but it is odd. Seems like something relatively easy to sort out, but it's plagued us for years. We're always near the top of the injury league, even a few years before Fergie bowed out.

You do wonder what our sports science team is up to. It's not a good look when Manchester United is bottom of the sprints, distance covered tables etc. We have nice facilities, access to the best technology and yet our players by and large seem unfit.

Possibly impacted by recruiting larger players like Matic, Lukaku etc, but it is odd. Seems like something relatively easy to sort out, but it's plagued us for years. We're always near the top of the injury league, even a few years before Fergie bowed out.

At this point they are probably just taking the piss out of him and laughing behind his back when he enters the gym again.

If I were manager I'd put him in the reserves until he's hit his weight target.

I'd hazard a guess the expectation is for him to be moving to Italy anyway so the physios and nutritionists have probably given up.

The guy is muscular but he's not able to carry on for ninety full minutes. At least he wasn't today - gasping for air even two minutes after making a forty meter sprint and then just loafing about in offside not being able to keep up with play at all during the last half an hour or so. That being said - I liked watching him play in that first half. Couple of situations there he really showed his strengths and his class - adding both some muscle and skill to our attack - and he actually seemed to give it his best too.

If I were manager I'd put him in the reserves until he's hit his weight target.

I'd hazard a guess the expectation is for him to be moving to Italy anyway so the physios and nutritionists have probably given up.

How do you know he's overweight? Caf pros I tell ya

How do you know he's overweight? Caf pros I tell ya

Neville was literally laughing at his physical condition in commentary.

How is he not overweight? Did you see him at Everton? Or even the difference in his first season at United and now?

To me its just mind blowing to see a club like United with all its staff, experience, sports science department and all could allow players to get this overweight and this unfit. The teams fitness level is considered average for amateur football let alone top premier league professional football.

The guy is muscular but he's not able to carry on for ninety full minutes. At least he wasn't today - gasping for air even two minutes after making a forty meter sprint and then just loafing about in offside not being able to keep up with play at all during the last half an hour or so. That being said - I liked watching him play in that first half. Couple of situations there he really showed his strengths and his class - adding both some muscle and skill to our attack - and he actually seemed to give it his best too.

But for some reason, Deeney seems to be able to put him a shift in spite of his bulk. Maybe Lukaku should abstain from sex like 5 days before every match.

Put on too much weight since his Everton days. There was no need for him to bulk up considering his size and presence. He was blowing after every sprint, there was one point where he didn't even try to attack the corner and just stood there as he was too tired to move. His repeated sprint ability is terrible, one sprint will render him useless for the next 5mins.

Our Sport Science department need to work with him over the summer. Cut down on the extra mass and work on his conditioning whilst retaining his pace and strength. For someone of his size and physique, he should be easy to work with and get him in the shape that is best.

What minute it was when he had that one run after which he couldnt catch a breath.

These days he looks gassed after 20 minutes. He's definitely one of the players Ole has been alluding to regarding the terrible fitness levels. Needs to replace the weights with a treadmill or there's no chance he survives pre season.

Funny, I haven't seen this mentioned in any matchday threads or in his performance thread. Ole is not alluding the conditioning problem to specific players, its an overall problem at the club, something Mourinho neglected. Its been said that fitness and conditioning drills were decreased under his regime. Moyes and LVG were obsessed with fitness, as Moyes wanted a hard working team and you could see that from his Everton days. LVG also had some very demanding fitness drills that some players complained about, similar to the ones Conte introduced in his time at Chelsea. Pochettino and Klopp are two other managers who are similar in this sense.

Mourinho was more relaxed, and you could see how most of our games under him were tales of two halves, high intensity in the first, lethargic and poor in the second, and its carried over into Solskjaers regime and he's set out to fix it, mentioning it first when the team had a training weekend in Dubai. Phelan's drills are intense, and the players took to it initially but their poor conditioning has caught up with them in this recent slump

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...mprove-fitness-levels-at-united-37682393.html

“The stats say the workload has been a bit higher in the past five games in terms of sprints and high-intensity runs,"

They are gassed, they are not used to the high intensity Ole has introduced yet, its a work in progress.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6275008...d-fitness-will-help-man-utd-against-liverpool

Today he was sucking air in around 25 minutes and didn’t really recover

This is not true, Im rewatching the first half right now, and I know the exact moment you're talking about, in the 27th minute (26:50 exactly) when he collected the ball from deep in his own half and busted a gut for about 60 or so yards to get a through ball to Rashford. That was the longest sprint by any player in the match and he of course had to recover from that as any player would.

I saw others accusing him of not running into the box but Rashford should've done better with the through ball and Mata was already in the box in a central position. He kept up that overall first half intensity and not long after that he outran and out muscled Azpilicueta, shoving him into the camera man.

He bullied Azpilicueta when he moved to the left. His energy levels only drastically dipped in the second half, and the same can be said about the entire team, even the hardworking Herrera looked gassed. Its easy to see how wrongly conceived narratives are formed based on a visual. If the cameras didn't show him right after that move no one would be saying this

Neville was literally laughing at his physical condition in commentary.

How is he not overweight? Did you see him at Everton? Or even the difference in his first season at United and now?

Neville is an idiot. 'How is he not overweight'? He gained muscle for the world cup as the conditioning for Belgium required it, but its not the same at United and he's been working on it. You can't make that claim just by looking at him, you have no idea what physical condition he's in. This picture is from last month after the Southampton game, he's getting leaner, he was bulkier when he came back from the world cup.

"I put on a bit of muscle at the World Cup. I just felt great and I played great over there, and then when I came back, it is a different type of style.

"When you are in the Premier League, I cannot play with the same amount of muscle as international football.

"I knew I had to lose muscle so I stayed out of the gym, drank a lot of water, and ate a lot of veg and fish."

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/romelu-lukaku-man-united-187397

lukaku.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, not known for engaging his brain before he speaks isn't our Gary, typical class of 92 sadly
That's what makes him entertaining! How many other commentators would use the term "Knackered" in their commentary.

Technically fish and chips is veg and fish. And also family size packets of Lays and fries from McD

I agree, but he's been talking about this since around October time and still seems to have the same issue. It might be hard to do during the season, I don't know, but months later he's still wrecked after half an hour.

Although he did put a shift in tracking back against Liverpool.

It's pretty shocking to be honest. Not sure what went on under the previous regime. Ole put him training separately for the first two weeks but obviously we needed to play him too. It will need to be rectified over the summer I'd say. If he still looks like this in August I'd be very annoyed.

It's amazing how quickly he gets tired. Focus more on stamina training and less on lifting weights ffs.

Funny, I haven't seen this mentioned in any matchday threads or in his performance thread. Ole is not alluding the conditioning problem to specific players, its an overall problem at the club, something Mourinho neglected. Its been said that fitness and conditioning drills were decreased under his regime. Moyes and LVG were obsessed with fitness, as Moyes wanted a hard working team and you could see that from his Everton days. LVG also had some very demanding fitness drills that some players complained about, similar to the ones Conte introduced in his time at Chelsea. Pochettino and Klopp are two other managers who are similar in this sense.

Mourinho was more relaxed, and you could see how most of our games under him were tales of two halves, high intensity in the first, lethargic and poor in the second, and its carried over into Solskjaers regime and he's set out to fix it, mentioning it first when the team had a training weekend in Dubai. Phelan's drills are intense, and the players took to it initially but their poor conditioning has caught up with them in this recent slump

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...mprove-fitness-levels-at-united-37682393.html

“The stats say the workload has been a bit higher in the past five games in terms of sprints and high-intensity runs,"

They are gassed, they are not used to the high intensity Ole has introduced yet, its a work in progress.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6275008...d-fitness-will-help-man-utd-against-liverpool

This is not true, Im rewatching the first half right now, and I know the exact moment you're talking about, in the 27th minute (26:50 exactly) when he collected the ball from deep in his own half and busted a gut for about 60 or so yards to get a through ball to Rashford. That was the longest sprint by any player in the match and he of course had to recover from that as any player would.

I saw others accusing him of not running into the box but Rashford should've done better with the through ball and Mata was already in the box in a central position. He kept up that overall first half intensity and not long after that he outran and out muscled Azpilicueta, shoving him into the camera man.

He bullied Azpilicueta when he moved to the left. His energy levels only drastically dipped in the second half, and the same can be said about the entire team, even the hardworking Herrera looked gassed. Its easy to see how wrongly conceived narratives are formed based on a visual. If the cameras didn't show him right after that move no one would be saying this

Neville is an idiot. 'How is he not overweight'? He gained muscle for the world cup as the conditioning for Belgium required it, but its not the same at United and he's been working on it. You can't make that claim just by looking at him, you have no idea what physical condition he's in. This picture is from last month after the Southampton game, he's getting leaner, he was bulkier when he came back from the world cup.

"I put on a bit of muscle at the World Cup. I just felt great and I played great over there, and then when I came back, it is a different type of style.

"When you are in the Premier League, I cannot play with the same amount of muscle as international football.

"I knew I had to lose muscle so I stayed out of the gym, drank a lot of water, and ate a lot of veg and fish."

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/romelu-lukaku-man-united-187397

lukaku.jpg
Great post. Was going to say that camera focusing on him blowing was just after a long sprint. Check the state of 100m sprinters after a race. It’s all about getting his heart rate back down so he can go again in say 15-30 secs depending on fitness and yeah he is is a physical specimen and at his size it’ll be a lot harder for him to do such things but as your picture shows he really has started to lean down.

He put in some shift yesterday and inevitably about the 70 minute mark he did to me look to be struggiling a bit but so were many with the effort and tempo they put in the first half.

Honestly doubt we’d sell him in the summer as there really isn’t anyone better that is available.

Was huffing and puffing after that run early in the game. Looked like when you're only focusing on breathing and not much else because you're that out of breath :lol:

Was huffing and puffing after that run early in the game. Looked like when you're only focusing on breathing and not much else because you're that out of breath :lol:

Neville said the same in commentary, that run was great but he was doubled over trying to get his breath back immediately after :lol::lol: