L'Oreal sack first transgender model for racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might is right wrong.

@Dumat12 A quote from a piece in the LA Times

You can read the rest here - http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-madley-california-genocide-20160522-snap-story.html

Again it was genocide.

Yeah I really don't get it, why would someone want to wum about genocide.
Sigh... And? At the end of the day what USA did with "Manifest Destiny" is no different than what any country who wanted to conquer something did. Fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the Native American population was wiped out by diseases they contracted from Europeans with the Europeans infecting them unknowingly. Pretty much like the Black Death in Europe. The killings of Native Americans during multiple small conflits didn't even put a dent on their population, what did them in was the various diseases from which they died. So you can't sit here and argue that the US as a whole wanted to purge the Native Americans because that simply isn't true.

This is what the 'great emancipator' Abraham Lincoln said about blacks:
Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. .
Doesn't mean he went on to genocide the blacks, does it? He did exactly the opposite.

All you really needed to say from the get-go. Explains so much at this point.
Does it? No, because your argument is that colonization never brought ANYTHING good to the African continent and people which is quite simply not true.

1) it doesn't matter how many people are killed in a genocide. That a large portion of Natives died from disease in no way affects the acts committed against them at other points in history.
So do you agree then that using this definition of genocide we can label pretty much anything in history as genocide? Want some examples? The Akkadian conquest of Sumer, the Persian conquest of Egypt, the Carthaginian conquest of Sicily, Iberia and North Africa,, the Roman conquest of Carthage, Gaul, Italian peninsula, Illyria, Iberia, the Arab conquest of Persia, North Africa, Iberia.................................................... the Tang conquests, the Mongol conquests, the Turko-Mongol conquests............................. the colonization period, etc. Can we agree that all of these are genocide or not? Because using your definition of genocide every single war in existence falls under that category.

2) the only way you could possibly argue that there was no organized effort to exterminate Natives and native culture is to totally ignore historical fact. You've accomplished this.
What historical fact? Resettlement policy is NOT genocide. What other 'organized' effort to exterminate anyone you can think of?

3) to argue that there was no genocide committed against the Natives because Natives still exist is arguing an absurdity considering there are still, I dunno...Jews. Or are you gonna argue against that genocide too?
The Jewish genocide was stopped by a war, if you don't remember. I don't recall anyone declaring war on the US for genociding the Native Americans and stopping them. Was there one? Fact of the matter is, if there was truly an organized effort to exterminate the Native indigenous people by the US, there would be no Native Americans alive today.

@Dumat12 - just let me know when it's finally sunk in...

“Indians and wolves are both beasts of prey, tho’ they differ in shape.”

George Washington

If ever we are constrained to lift the hatchet against any tribe, we will never lay it down till that tribe is exterminated, or driven beyond the Mississippi… in war, they will kill some of us; we shall destroy them all.”

Thomas Jefferson

My original convictions upon this subject have been confirmed by the course of events for several years, and experience is every day adding to their strength. That those tribes cannot exist surrounded by our settlements and in continual contact with our citizens is certain. They have neither the intelligence, the industry, the moral habits, nor the desire of improvement which are essential to any favorable change in their condition. Established in the midst of another and a superior race, and without appreciating the causes of their inferiority or seeking to control them, they must necessarily yield to the force of circumstances and ere long disappear.”

Andrew Jackson
And this is what Abraham Lincoln the 'Great Emancipator' said about blacks:
Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life.

Doesn't mean he went on to genocide them, does it? In fact he did completely the opposite. Racism towards other groups was considered normal back then, especially to Europeans who considered themselves superior to other people. This anti-racism sentiment that exists today is a new concept developed shortly after WWII and shouldn't be taken as something out of the ordinary for the time Thomas Jefferson and George Washington lived.

but there was no organized effort to wipe out the Native Americans at any point of history. If there was, there would be no Native Americans today.
I get that it's fun to be so edgy and controversial, sticking it to the history man. But this is a really ugly point of argument. Can't you just join 4chan or something.

Who told you this exactly?

Because I don't care about the opinion of some guy on YouTube having a beef with another guy. The guy also seems totally biased in every video I just saw in his channel. Okay, let's see what he argues in his video. For example he tries to argue that the Europeans actively tried to kill off the natives with diseases which is stupid and inaccurate. He wants to blame the Europeans because they didn't provide the natives with enough food or whatever to survive, and that in his opinion counts as genocide. You what? Since when was a group of people obliged to help another group of people? He also argues that taking over Native American land must be considered genocide which means that practically any war with the aim of conquest should be considered a means of genociding another set of people.

Whether you like it or not the Native Americans lost the majority of their population due to the random diseases they contracted over the course of a few centuries, not because they were sought to be wiped out. Yes, sure, the taking of their land and trying to assimilate them into American culture had a hand in that, but there was no organized effort to wipe out the Native Americans at any point of history. If there was, there would be no Native Americans today.

What laws? The Indian Removal Act? It's a resettlement policy, not genocide. If Andrew Jackson's point was to genocide the Indians, he would have killed them all, not resettle them to other lands. That CANNOT be considered genocide under any means. Was it the right thing to do? feck no, they didn't deserve that, but to classify it as genocide is utterly ridiculous

1. No I think we can safely conclude that this is relevant to the entire continent considering that Congo was one of the worst run colonies.

2. He knows more about this stuff than both of us do because he is working there and he experiences this first hand. Forgive me but I think his opinion of how things are run there is more relevant than your opinion you've taken from someone who told you how bad the Europeans ran the country. Even the director himself said in an interview (he is a Belgian) that the Africans there were asking him "When will you be back?" and "Why did you leave" and he himself was surprised by the reactions of the people there? The point here is that even in the worst run colony in Africa people are longing for the 'good ol' days'.

3. Yes, it was atrocious but that doesn't exclude the good things that came from it and how it benefited the natives. As I said, this is a matter of whether you believe the 'ends justify the means' or not. I believe in it. If you don't, then that's totally fine.

Thank you. That's what I'm trying to say. To judge the people before our time with today standards and morals is extremely stupid and ignorant. Slavery was extremely normal in Roman times and encouraged by every nation out there, yet today it's thought as abhorrent (even though slavery still exists in most of the world, it's just called by a different name). Times change, morals change, society changes. You can't look at history from present day morals and judge the others before you on what you find normal. I would understand if only white people have done this, then you can say that white people are indeed evil and this wasn't normal for the entire world, but the case with the Native Americans was done by everyone, even the Native Americans themselves. The Aztecs practiced the same things (even way more brutal and vicious) onto the subjects they conquered, but nobody blames them. It's the evil white people who came and ruined their peaceful society.

It's such bullshit that in this day and age you can't defend yourself without someone accusing you of racism even when you're 100% correct on the things you say and you can back them up. All that matters is your feelings.

The problem is that you actually are a racist, and proud of it.

Nothing is established. The countries remain poor because of the people there, not us. I would understand if Europeans saw Africa as a prosperous region which people there living like kings and enjoying the fruit of their labor, but what Europe saw there was just people still stuck in the stone age unable to move forward and unable to use their resources (if we exclude the kingdom of Mansa Musa which you will surely use as a counter-argument here. We can delve into this topic a little deeper fi you want). Europeans basically uplifted them by giving them access to modern day medicine, infrastructure, technology and a system of governorship. Whether or not you think the deaths left in its trail were justified is an entirely different matter.

Literally fecking thousands upon thousands of such cases in history. Recently like the Taiping Rebellion, the Balkan Wars, the Assyrian genocide. In each war you would see several of the things you mentioned happening. In EACH. I don't believe there's a single war when an unprovoked massacre of people didn't take place. Even recently like the Iraq war.

What led you to believe that I am the ignorant one and not you?

No, you're not racist at all.

It has been established - the paper (along with several others) I shared shows hows. Given that you're talking out of your arse, I'd rather not delve any deeper.

It is great when these guys out themselves tho. Rather the open blatant bs than the snide subliminals.

Nothing is established. The countries remain poor because of the people there, not us. I would understand if Europeans saw Africa as a prosperous region which people there living like kings and enjoying the fruit of their labor, but what Europe saw there was just people still stuck in the stone age unable to move forward and unable to use their resources (if we exclude the kingdom of Mansa Musa which you will surely use as a counter-argument here. We can delve into this topic a little deeper fi you want). Europeans basically uplifted them by giving them access to modern day medicine, infrastructure, technology and a system of governorship. Whether or not you think the deaths left in its trail were justified is an entirely different matter.

Genuine comedy gold. You should be on the standup circuit.

Perhaps you can explain why us darkies who are primitive in ourhomelands seem to do so well when abroad? Don't try and blag it's European influence either. The Indians in Africa did great, in fact the Indians in India are doing great now they've finally started to shake off colonialism. In fact the Indians in India were doing great before colonialism too. India was in fact the worlds largest economy at the time. The Chinese post colonialism have become a superpower, wealthier and more powerful than Britain. Mind you that's old news for China, it's always been an Empire.

As for uplifting, you're right. There's nothing like a whip across the back to motivate a man to pick cotton quicker, increasing productivity and overall improving masters profits. Here are some quotes about uplifting you might want to refute with more comedic lies....

When Sékou Touré of Guinea decided in 1958 to get out of french colonial empire, and opted for the country independence, the french colonial elite in Paris got so furious, and in a historic act of fury the french administration in Guinea destroyed everything in the country which represented what they called the benefits from french colonization.

Three thousand French left the country, taking all their property and destroying anything that which could not be moved: schools, nurseries, public administration buildings were crumbled; cars, books, medicine, research institute instruments, tractors were crushed and sabotaged; horses, cows in the farms were killed, and food in warehouses were burned or poisoned.

At this very moment I’m writing this article, 14 african countries are obliged by France, trough a colonial pact, to put 85% of their foreign reserve into France central bank under French minister of Finance control. Until now, 2014, Togo and about 13 other african countries still have to pay colonial debt to France.

The full article with tons of other facts is here - http://siliconafrica.com/france-colonial-tax/

Last edited:
To be fair to @Dumat12 there's no doubt western civilisation improved some societies, in some ways. But to argue they're at anything other than a net loss overall seems strange. It wasn't conquer or be conquered to the poor people on the end of these slaughters. If we're absolving the common white man from his role in colonialism then you have to look at the poor people on the receiving end who also had nothing to do with empire. Whatever your definition of genocide, there's no doubt that there was a mass rape of labour and resources in the name of pure greed which was dressed up as a civilising mission.

It is interesting that you didn't start with thou shall not kill.

I think you are wrong on this point, of course, we morally judge history from today's perspective but if you want to understand how things happened and why you have to accept that the way people thought and organised themselves was very different because it was.

So, for example, this idea that the state serves us is a modern first world bubble, in the past and in the present in some countries you served the state and it owed you nothing. If your crops fail and you starve tough shit. If your river got polluted and your kids died tough shit. If you held the wrong belief about what happens when you die and you were burnt at the stake tough shit. The state protected itself and the commoner's life was incidental to its interest.

I guess it comes down to why you want to find out about what happened in the past and why it happened. If you can't bring yourself to understand your peculiar perspective on history from this privileged end of the time line then I think you are missing the whole point.

Which societies are you talking about here? Dismissing vast swathes of history as essentially lawless is incredibly problematic.

Genuine comedy gold. You should be on the standup circuit.

Perhaps you can explain why us darkies who are primitive in ourhomelands seem to do so well when abroad? Don't try and blag it's European influence either. The Indians in Africa did great, in fact the Indians in India are doing great now they've finally started to shake off colonialism. In fact the Indians in India were doing great before colonialism too. India was in fact the worlds largest economy at the time. The Chinese post colonialism have become a superpower, wealthier and more powerful than Britain. Mind you that's old news for China, it's always been an Empire.

As for uplifting, you're right. There's nothing like a whip across the back to motivate a man to pick cotton quicker, increasing productivity and overall improving masters profits. Here are some quotes about uplifting you might want to refute with more comedic lies....

The full article with tons of other facts is here - http://siliconafrica.com/france-colonial-tax/

You have fecked up the quote function there and I would appreciate it if you rectified it.

Which societies are you talking about here? Dismissing vast swathes of history as essentially lawless is incredibly problematic.

It is probably true though with regards to how societies, tribes, countries, and empires treated each other for most of history. I wouldn't say it's universally true of all peoples of all times but I'd be interested if you could give me some examples from history where you think laws existed which governed those interactions and held true despite asymmetrical military power?

@Dumat12 Did you even read the LA time pieces I quoted from ? Also the Lincoln example your using is mind numbingly stupid.
Between 1846 and 1870, California’s Indian population plunged from perhaps 150,000 to 30,000. Diseases, dislocation and starvation caused many of these deaths
Indians dying in their vast majority by random diseases constitutes as genocide now... Okay. Try studying history more, okay? These things have happened in every single war in history against civilians also. 30 million people died in the Taiping rebellion, but you don't call that genocide, do you? It's war, it's not meant to be pretty for the conquered.

The only reason why some people even consider the Native Americans as being genocided is because of their vastly inferior technology compared to the Europeans. If they had similiar technology, it would have been thought as just another war between two powers.

I get that it's fun to be so edgy and controversial, sticking it to the history man. But this is a really ugly point of argument. Can't you just join 4chan or something.
Sigh...

No, you're not racist at all.

It has been established - the paper (along with several others) I shared shows hows. Given that you're talking out of your arse, I'd rather not delve any deeper.
At this point even discussing this with you seems like a waste of time. Just one more question and I'm done - how well was Africa off before the Europeans found the continent? Keep in mind that the colonization period lasted only approximately 70 years. So do tell me about the great richness of Africa before they were found, okay? How prosperous were they? How well was Africa off before Europeans brought modern day civilization upon them (literally)? Do keep in mind that by the time Europeans found the continent nations like Mali and Egypt were dirt poor.

Tell me also how Europeans brought the slave trade to Africa because that's also a common myth surrounding the colonization period.

Perhaps I phased myself wrong - what I meant to say is the 'culture' of the people there. Indians in Africa? Whatever do you mean by that?

Also, India being the richest nation in the world back then is a myth. By the time Britain colonized the continent Nader Shah plundered the Mughal treasury and ruined their economy. The Mughals were also plagued by constant revolts and the lands ravaged by the constant wars of Aurangzeb. That's why Britainwas able to colonize the entire subcontinent, really. After being plundered from all directions India could no longer defend itself from foreign powers and lost their sovereignty. The days when the Mughals were the richest empire in the world were way before the British colonization period began.

China was never colonized. China is also not a superpower by any means, you need to learn the definition of a 'superpower'. Furthermore of course China is more powerful than Britain because China has 1,3 billion people while the UK only has like 60 million. Wealthier is a matter of perspective. Sure, their GDP is much larger than Britain because of their large population, but at the same time they are definitely not as wealthy as Britain considering their GDP per capita is 8,000 while Britain's 40,000. That's the most accurate way to measure a nation's wealth and also the only thing that affects you personally. Doesn't matter if China has 10 times the economy of the US in the future if you live like a dirt rat unable to buy yourself food, does it?

And the last part - you're wrong again. China hasn't been an empire 'forever'. They have been conquered by other nations and also have been shattered into numerous small kingdoms many times in their history for geat lenghts of a time. In fact the Manchus, the Qing Dynasty, wasn't even Chinese per se. They were foreign overlords who ruled over the Chinese.

Sorry but your article is incredibly biased and inaccurate. France doesn't take $500 billion from its former colonies in Africa, it holds 50% of their cash reserves on their behalf (not 65%, let alone 85%), so about $20 billion. For France, it's a pretty small sum. And the reserves aren't converted into French francs. They stay in CFA francs. Since the French franc does not exist, even as an accounting unit, it can not devalue. The CFA france exchange rate is fixed to the euro. The arrangement is voluntary, every CFA franc member is free to withdraw from it (& withdraw their money). So none are forced to hand over money to France.

I must say, it's no wonder you people are so brainwashed if you really trust articles such as this. (articles that don't even try to hide how incredibly biased are "France wouldn't even be a country in the 21st century if it wasn't for Africa... lol)

colonial system which puts about 500 billions dollars from Africa to its treasury year in year out.
Is this a joke? Do these people know how much money that is?

@Dumat12 Genocide isn't about the number of people who died but the intent

Genocide is defined in Article 2 of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (1948) as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its 1 physical destruction in whole or in part ; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

@Dumat12 hasn't responded to my stupid bait-and-switch, but anyway I'll go ahead.
This is true for you too @Don't Kill Bill

France post-WW2 has been a relatively stable state, with a very good standard of living and a stable state providing the framework for businesses to expand.
However, before the Nazi occupation, this wasn't the case.

France had its first, famous, revolution in 1789. Such was the anger of the population with their rulers that there were mass executions of the existing royalty, and then the short-lived successors. As soon as the people got power, they unleashed a reign of terror. Tragically a republic was declared in this unstable country. It is obvious the French psyche wasn't ready for this, since in 15 short years the republic was deposed by a new monarch.

The monarch himself was overextended - perhaps a characteristic of French people? - and was humiliated and defeated in 2 wars within 10 years of obtaining power. There followed inevitable political turmoil before the original monarchy finally could take power this time under a constitutional framework. However, within 20 years, the constitution was discarded and the monarchy became more absolute; at the first hint of economic issues the impetuous French people again deposed their rulers.

To the surprise of no-one who understood the perversions of the French mind, this state of affairs lasted 3 years, and a nephew of the previous monarch established himself on the throne as the autocrat. Like every French ruler before him (surely this condition is genetic?) he also started a pig-headed war against stronger neighbours and was duly rewarded with a huge defeat.

Now the Parisians showed they were indeed the heart of France - the distilled essence of the country's backwards thinking. They established a commune, destroyed businesses and ancient wealth and the church. Order was restored with a massacre in the capital, 2 months after this experiment began.

It seemed finally that the French had pushed something through their thick skulls, and the new constitutional order lasted for 70 years! However, towards the end, again the people responded to their material misery with demands of populism; the establishment of labour-friendly laws like minimum wage and limited working hours. Clearly the people were still too ignorant to realise that they weren't meant for this.

Enter the Nazi regime. In a role reversal, the French were occupied by their neighbours, who set up French-led government (perhaps this courtesy should never have been extended to these volatile people). They quickly reversed the unfeasible ideas about minimum wage and working limits, and re-introduced slavery. They also helped reduce the population, and were quick to massacre those who thought of rebelling (the various monarchs could have learnt a thing or two). Perhaps the genes responsible for the France's periodic rebellions were helpfully culled in these years. Magnanimously, the Nazis prepared detailed plans for government-controlled recovery and growth of the economy.

After the German-established French regime was replaced by a US/UK-established French regime, the new French leader in a welcome show of French humillity implemented the German plans. From 1945 to today, the French have seen fairly consistent rises in their standard of living, and no rebellions. Clearly the Nazi occupation, brief as it was, changed the French psyche for the better and even provided them with the economic planning they would never have managed on their own. There have been blips with the old anarchic spirt showing up in 1968, and in repeated strikes and shutdowns, but post Vichy, the French people have overall learned their lesson.

It is a tragedy that the majority of French people dislike the VIchy regime, and a historic crime that Germans are ashamed of their Nazi past. They should hold it in the same reverence that the British hold the Raj.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/09/a-quick-reminder-of-why-colonialism-was-bad

Gilley’s article takes a very clear stance: not only was colonialism a force for good in the world, but anti-colonial sentiment is “preposterous.” What’s more, Gilley says, we need a new program of colonization, with Western powers taking over the governing functions of less developed countries. Gilley says he intends to overturn or revise three lines of criticism directed against colonialism: “that it was objectively harmful (rather than beneficial),” “that it was subjectively illegitimate (rather than legitimate),” and “that it offends the sensibilities of contemporary society.” Thus he is not just concerned to prove that colonialism was good and should be revived. He also wants to prove that it was “legitimate,” i.e. that there is nothing inherently unjust about invading and dominating a people.
Gilley’s argument is, roughly: opposition to colonialism is reflexive rather than reasoned. This has caused terrible consequences, because postcolonial governments have hurt their people by attempting to destroy beneficial colonial institutions. The “civilizing mission” of colonialism was valuable and had a positive effect. Colonialism was legitimate because it helped people and many populations were willing to tolerate it. Anti-colonial arguments are often incoherent, blaming colonial governments for all ills rather than examining what would have occurred in the absence of those governments. And colonialism should cease to be a dirty word; in fact, it should be re-instituted, because many developing countries are incapable of self-government.
First, Gilley says he is making a “case for colonialism,” to rescue Western colonial history’s “bad name.” But he restricts his examination to “the early nineteenth to mid-twentieth centuries.” He does so because if he were to include the first 300 years of Western colonialism (i.e. the majority), it would be almost impossible to mount any kind of case that the endeavor benefited indigenous populations. The civilizations of the Americas were exterminated by colonialism, through disease, displacement, resource depletion, one-sided warfare, and outright massacre, and their populations suffered a “catastrophic collapse.” Since it is impossible to spin this as benefiting the inhabitants, Gilley avoids mentioning that it even happened. This, in itself, in an article defending “colonialism,” should sufficiently prove that Gilley is unwilling to consider evidence that contradicts his case, by discussing “colonialism” generally while selecting only the cases in which native populations were not extinguished.

Next, Gilley’s method of defending colonialism is through “cost-benefit analysis,” in which the harms of colonialism are weighed against the “improvements in living conditions” and better governance. (Gilley even proposes “greater business confidence” as a potential benefit of a neo-colonial project.)
We can see quickly how ludicrous this is: “Yes, we may have indiscriminately massacred 500 children, but we also opened a clinic that vaccinated enough children to save 501 lives, therefore ‘the case for colonialism is strong.’” We don’t allow murderers to produce defenses like this, for good reason: you can’t get away with saying “Yes, I killed my wife, but I’m also a fireman.”
But even if we assume that “cost-benefit” analysis is the correct way to examine colonialism, Gilley has to distort the evidence in order to prove his case. For example, Gilley cites the fact that “since gaining independence, Congo has never had at its disposal an army comparable in efficiency and discipline” to that it had under the Belgians, commenting that “Maybe the Belgians should come back.” If one knows anything about the history of the Belgian Congo, one knows that this statement is equivalent to saying “Maybe the Confederacy should come back” to the American South. Belgian King Leopold created possibly the most infamous colonial regime in history. Contemporaries called it “legalized robbery enforced by violence,” and Leopold “turned his ‘Congo Free State’ into a massive labour camp, made a fortune for himself from the harvest of its wild rubber, and contributed in a large way to the death of perhaps 10 million innocent people.” Belgian rule in the Congo was a reign of terror that scandalized the world:

Much of the death toll was the result of killing, pure and simple. Villages were dragooned into tapping rubber, and if they refused to comply, or complied but failed to meet European quotas, they were punished. The hands of dead Congolese were severed and kept by militias to account to their quartermasters for spent ammunition. And, as Morel said, the practice of mutilation was extended to the living. By far the greatest number of deaths, however, were caused by sickness and starvation. The effect of the terror was to drive communities from their sources of food.
It is shocking that Gilley could discuss Belgian colonialism without so much as mentioning any of this in his “cost-benefit” analysis. But then, despite promising to weigh negatives against positives, he doesn’t really discuss any negatives. He says British suppression of the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya was better than the alternative, but doesn’t discuss what it involved, namely mass detention and human rights abuse. Kenyans were “put in camps where they were subject to severe torture, malnutrition, beatings. The women were sexually assaulted. Two of the men were castrated. The most severe gruesome torture you could imagine.” Gilley doesn’t deal with or refute this, he simply writes all allegations off as “scolding.” Likewise unmentioned is what happened in India under British rule: the horrific Amritsar massacre, the mass famines that killed millions, and the horrors of the partition. French crimes in Algeria: unmentioned. German genocide in Namibia: unmentioned. Heck, Gilley doesn’t even mention racism, or the various psychological wounds inflicted on colonized people by a dehumanizing ideology (as explained by Aimé Césaire, Frantz Fanon, and Albert Memmi, all of whom… also go unmentioned.) One of the cruelest aspects of colonialism is the way it forces the colonized into servility and obedience, yet this doesn’t even count as a “cost.”
I say, then, that Gilley’s article is “morally tantamount to Holocaust denial” because if you say you are performing a cost-benefit analysis of colonialism, and you ignore colonial atrocities, you are fabricating history. Gilley says that anti-colonialism is just leftist ideology, that it doesn’t take account of the facts, but it’s his article that depicts a factually false version of colonial history, one in which colonists acted out of benevolent and civilizing motives, and primarily devoted themselves to opening schools and hospitals, and imposing efficient government. The worst he will say about colonialism is that it was “not an unalloyed good.”
I go into this level of detail because I think it’s crucial to show that Gilley’s article is not a serious work of scholarship. I think the gut reaction of many people will be that Gilley’s arguments are “self-evidently” absurd. But apparently this is not the case, because the Third World Quarterly chose to publish them.
But while TWQ’s motives remain inscrutable, I suspect I understand Gilley’s. This article does not read as if it is attempting to be taken seriously. Its tone toward critics of colonialism is polemical and mocking (these scholars have a “metropolitan flaneur culture of attitude and performance”). Gilley must intend to provoke people to rage: postcolonial countries should be like Britain, which “embraced and celebrated its colonisers”; anticolonial thought was about “advocacy” rather than “accuracy”; colonialism was not just legitimate but “highly legitimate”; and we should “build new Western colonies from scratch” and “colonial states should be paid for their services” by the colonized.

I expect Gilley wants the following to happen: people will be outraged. They will call for the article to be retracted. Then, Gilley will complain of censorship, and argue that lefties don’t care about the facts, and that his points has been proved by the fact that they’d rather try to have his article purged than have to refute its claims. This is a dynamic that has occurred many, many times. It’s what Milo Yiannopoulos did: he would say things that were truly upsetting and outrageous (including bullying and mocking individual students), then when people got upset and outraged and tried to shut him down, he would complain that “SJWs” were trying to censor him because they can’t deal with facts and arguments. The same thing happened when conservative law professors recently published an op-ed blaming the “rap culture of inner-city blacks” for cultural decline, with one of them lauding the “superiority” of white European culture. People got upset, for obvious reasons, and students objected to having to be taught by a white supremacist. But when one of the professors went on FOX News, he declared that “there were no allegations that anything we said was incorrect.” (There were plenty of such allegations.)

cong_hands_1904-768x440.jpg

Sorry but your article is incredibly biased and inaccurate. France doesn't take $500 billion from its former colonies in Africa, it holds 50% of their cash reserves on their behalf (not 65%, let alone 85%), so about $20 billion. For France, it's a pretty small sum. And the reserves aren't converted into French francs. They stay in CFA francs. Since the French franc does not exist, even as an accounting unit, it can not devalue. The CFA france exchange rate is fixed to the euro. The arrangement is voluntary, every CFA franc member is free to withdraw from it (& withdraw their money). So none are forced to hand over money to France.

I must say, it's no wonder you people are so brainwashed if you really trust articles such as this. (articles that don't even try to hide how incredibly biased are "France wouldn't even be a country in the 21st century if it wasn't for Africa... lol)

You keep talking as if what you say is actually true, when in reality you don't know what it is you're talking about.

At all.

Also - saying you're not racist, doesn't automatically mean that to be true, you are a racist. And an idiot, an ignorant idiot at that, possibly the worst combination you could have.

That's about the nicest and most polite thing I could ever say to you.

@Dumat12 On the topic of bringing western civilisation to Africa, weren't guns and alcohol traded for slaves? Which had a negative impact because they all started drinking and shooting each other?

You keep talking as if what you say is actually true, when in reality you don't know what it is you're talking about.

At all.

Also - saying you're not racist, doesn't automatically mean that to be true, you are a racist. And an idiot, an ignorant idiot at that, possibly the worst combination you could have.

That's about the nicest and most polite thing I could ever say to you.

Let's keep this thread a bit more grown up by avoiding the insults.

She (and I) have been incredibly restrained with Dumat12. I don't usually feel nationalistic or patriotic but I do when I see this apologia; I do hope the likes of Dumat suffer what my country suffered. \

She (and I) have been incredibly restrained with Dumat12. I don't usually feel nationalistic or patriotic but I do when I see this apologia; I do hope the likes of Dumat suffer what my country suffered. \
Amazing that she has been pulled up for an incredibly benign (in comparison to what the poster she is responding to is trying to push) post.

I appreciate that Dumat's posts are long and stupid, but I think it's a bit of a piss take that mods have stepped in twice now to warn posters about how they speak to him rather than address the bile that he is posting and considering why he is getting the reactions he is.

Or is racism tolerated on this site as long as it is a bit more disguised than going around shouting the N-word at people?

Amazing that she has been pulled up for an incredibly benign (in comparison to what the poster she is responding to is trying to push).

The slightest personal description riles people more than apologia for mass murder and starvation of others.

I appreciate that Dumat's posts are long and stupid, but I think it's a bit of a piss take that mods have stepped in twice now to warn posters about how they speak to him rather than address the bile that he is posting and considering why he is getting the reactions he is.

Or is racism tolerated on this site as long as it is a bit more disguised than going around shouting the N-word at people?

The mods have stepped in because other posters are reporting specific posts where Dumat has been insulted by other posters.

The mods have stepped in because other posters are reporting specific posts where Dumat has been insulted by other posters.

Such are the travails of those practicing free speech in today's PC age :(

This isn't going anywhere is it. Just getting nasty. Surely time for a lock?

Well the question mark at the end was probably a good sign of where to look.

Jesus fecking christ man.

Racism isn't tolerated obviously. Why even ask such a question when you know the answer. Would you like us to ban Dumat so you feel better ?

The Jewish genocide was stopped by a war, if you don't remember. I don't recall anyone declaring war on the US for genociding the Native Americans and stopping them.
Entirely by accident. The world powers, by and large, didn't give a feck about the Jews being massacred and of all the causes of the Second World War, liberating Jews from genocide was not one of them. Complete happenstance.

Racism isn't tolerated obviously. Why even ask such a question when you know the answer. Would you like us to ban Dumat so you feel better ?

I'd like you to consider the context of why he's getting those responses rather than wade in and criticise the posters standing up to him or calling him what he is.

Whether you like it or not wading in to a conversation like that to criticise the posters calling him out and ignoring him gives the impression of acceptance.

Entirely by accident. The world powers, by and large, didn't give a feck about the Jews being massacred and of all the causes of the Second World War, liberating Jews from genocide was not one of them. Complete happenstance.

In fact some even tolerated the Nazis because fascism as an ideology was seen as the lesser of two evils compared to communism. The pope and the catholic church were just one big institution to think this way, and the fallout after the war led to mass reform of the church.

Status
Not open for further replies.