Kieran McKenna / Ipswich manager

I'd take him over Potter or Southgate, or going back to begging Tuchel to take a job he doesn't want, but I still wouldn't want Mckenna, it's got disaster written all over it.
I'd have him about even with Potter. Above Southgate and below ze germans

Its not hyberbole is was a league one team. They were bottom half of the table in league one before he took over and they didnt spend any money. If you don’t know what you are talking about its best to keep quiet

Would he be good at United? Who knows

So because they played in league one, they are forever classified as league one players? They clearly outgrew being classified as league one players when they pissed to promotion from that league and then got promoted again.

Is Jamie Vardy still a national league player?

He's not merely done well at lower level, he's done remarkably well. Look at their points tally from last season in the Championship. That's mostly a League One team. He's special.
It was hardly an outlandish points total in Championship terms. But he certainly punched above his weight in a lower division with unfancied players. But it’s a hell of a long way from there to a manager that can put one of the biggest clubs in the world back at the top of the game.

Needs a full season in Prem before we can make a judgement

So because they played in league one, they are forever classified as league one players? They clearly outgrew being classified as league one players when they pissed to promotion from that league and then got promoted again.

That's one player. Ipswich, as I said, have 14 players in their squad which were with them from League One and more were part of that Championship promoted side. It's clear the point that is being made but for some reason you want to be pedantic.

No the fact they were firmly league one and never looked anything but league one until McKenna got there is a testament to him as a manager. Stop pretending he isn't the one who elevated them and claiming retroactively they were just better players not supposed to be in league one

It was hardly an outlandish points total in Championship terms. But he certainly punched above his weight in a lower division with unfancied players. But it’s a hell of a long way from there to a manager that can put one of the biggest clubs in the world back at the top of the game.

I'd say it's outlandish for a promoted side. That's the sort of points tally a relegated premiership team might make. I agree it's a long way to go to be our next manager so soon though. Certainly one in the long term plans for the future as I feel he will head for the top.

The narrative seems to be that he had a shocking set of players, not up to standard in the lower leagues and he performed miracles to get them promoted but that's not true at all. They had a very decent squad of players for that level. Ipswich had a huge squad rebuild just prior to him joining and brought in some very decent players. Just terrible management meant they didn't gel and perform before him joined. A bit like the situation we are in now.

Getting Ipswich out of league one and into the championship was probably a realistic target within 2-3 seasons. They should have been challenging for the top. Getting them promoted to the Premiership is the outstanding achievement and keeping them in it will be equally be amazing. Best of luck to him as he seems like a genuinely nice bloke and I really enjoy the way he talks to the media.

The time to give the job to Mckenna or Carrick was when Ole left. I feel now its not worth the risk.

I'd say it's outlandish for a promoted side. That's the sort of points tally a relegated premiership team might make. I agree it's a long way to go to be our next manager so soon though. Certainly one in the long term plans for the future as I feel he will head for the top.

The narrative seems to be that he had a shocking set of players, not up to standard in the lower leagues and he performed miracles to get them promoted but that's not true at all. They had a very decent squad of players for that level. Ipswich had a huge squad rebuild just prior to him joining and brought in some very decent players. Just terrible management meant they didn't gel and perform before him joined. A bit like the situation we are in now.

Getting Ipswich out of league one and into the championship was probably a realistic target within 2-3 seasons. They should have been challenging for the top. Getting them promoted to the Premiership is the outstanding achievement and keeping them in it will be equally be amazing. Best of luck to him as he seems like a genuinely nice bloke and I really enjoy the way he talks to the media.
The back to back promotions is certainly impressive. However the Championship history books are full of clubs breaking records with managers no-one now remembers. Indeed, how many of the managers of the all time best Championship teams ever proved themselves to be good enough for a European giant?

indeed I had a quick look at the all time greatest managers in the Championship, who topped 100 points and the list was Harry Redknapp, Nuno Santo, Bobby Campbell, Kevin Keegan, Vincent Kompany, Nigel Pearson, Chris Hughton, Peter Reid and Steve Coppell. Not an awful bunch by any means, but we're not talking about elite football managers either. I would guess Kompany is the only one in a long time where the jury is still out.

So this isn't to say that what he did was not impressive. Rather that a manager would have to do something completely unbelievable at Championship level for us to take it as evidence of their ability to manage a club like United.

So what's the verdict so far(on the admittedly small sample size available and the almost impossible nature of his job)

Definite jinx!

Tough start for him with 4 points in 9 games. I expect he will keep them in the league though.

Edit- now level :lol:
Who do you think will go down instead of them? You'd imagine Palace and Wolves will pick up at some point.

Carries on like this he’ll be sacked before long. No wins in 9 with -11 GD

Nowhere near ready for a top job it’s madness the people who want him at United

Carries on like this he’ll be sacked before long. No wins in 9 with -11 GD

Nowhere near ready for a top job it’s madness the people who want him at United
Just under a quarter of the season gone and winless.
He's playing with a league 1 team but he's probably not ready to be a Newcastle or Spurs manager, maybe at the clubs below them like Brentford and United

He's playing with a league 1 team but he's probably not ready to be a Newcastle or Spurs manager, maybe at the clubs below them like Brentford and United
Didn't realise quite how true this is. Just went through today's starting XI and five were indeed playing in that League One campaign.

Terrible defending. They were the same in the Championship as well when I watched them. Going forward they have absolutely zero problems but when you score 3 goals and still fail to atleast get a point then that is an issue. I mean what were they are doing for that 4th goal? That guy who got a red card was a problem himself but collectively seems like he can't coach the team to defend. Even against Aston Villa they gifted them their first goal.

I think him and Frank both believe they can go the Kompany route. Play attacking football and even if you're team gets relegated you can get a top job because of the kind of football you play.

You don't bring a team from league one to the championship to the PL in consecutive seasons by being a bad manager and coach. The team are just nowhere near PL quality.

And a bit like Burnley last season and Southampton this season, they're trying to play a brand of football that's probably beyond the capability of the players at this level.

I hope he doesn't get the sack but it's happened so many times that a manager does a great job getting a team promoted, then gets the sack when they inevitably stink the joint out the following season. It's almost like a punishment for overachieving the previous season!

You don't bring a team from league one to the championship to the PL in consecutive seasons by being a bad manager and coach. The team are just nowhere near PL quality.

And a bit like Burnley last season and Southampton this season, they're trying to play a brand of football that's probably beyond the capability of the players at this level.

I hope he doesn't get the sack but it's happened so many times that a manager does a great job getting a team promoted, then gets the sack when they inevitably stink the joint out the following season. It's almost like a punishment for overachieving the previous season!

The new contract would suggest that if he does get sacked he'll be handsomely paid for it. No way he extends with them otherwise when bigger clubs were looking at him.

I can see then sticking with him and him getting them back up next season with a better equipped squad potentially though.

Big Sam would have a win by now so for me big Sam > McKenna

I don't think Allardyce has ever had such a poor collection of players in relation to the teams in the league. Even back in the Bolton days he had veteran professionals with enormous elite experience and Okocha who was an absolute player. Add Kevin Davies (the latter part) and he's got someone who is a nuisance every single game. This Ipswich side look to me like a team that produced a miracle to collect that many points in the Championship.

He should have taken the move to Brighton when he got the chance. It was always a big challenge to survive, and you always have people questioning a a manger's talent when they get relegated.

Also, like players I think when a chance to manage a better club comes around, you should take it.

He should have taken the move to Brighton when he got the chance. It was always a big challenge to survive, and you always have people questioning a a manger's talent when they get relegated.

Also, like players I think when a chance to manage a better club comes around, you should take it.
He is a quality coach. Didn't need to take the first opening, they'll queue up all the same when he's ready to move on

The way Ipswich seem to play and attack, despite not having PL level talent, is mostly down to McKenna. Which imo is a good sign that he's actually a pretty good coach. Wouldn't mind him back at MU, even over ETH.

Edit: But tbh I'd take any PL manager over ETH

Last edited:

To be fair, both Nigel Adkins and Paul Lambert pulled that off as well in the early 2010's. Neither went on to become top managers.

Ipswich spent €126 million on transfers and loans. That's pretty good backing. 12 players were brought in. The 10 permanent signings should be able to ensure that they push for automatic promotion again if they do get relegated.

As long as he's playing the right way, a bigger club will pick him up even if he gets relegated