Katie Zelem | Signs for Angel City FC

Parting shot at Skinner?

In fairness she did not mention Casey Stoney either who already posted on Zelems IG to congratulate her on her United career and wish her best luck in the future!

Last edited:
Oh well. I enjoyed watching her. Disappointing but no longer surprising.

In fairness she did not mention Casey Stoney either who already posted on Zelems IG to congratulate her on her United career and wish her best luck in the future!
I don't think she got on particularly with Skinner. But for me, not mentioning any staff, or the club itself is noticable.

I do think the abuse she got from fans was appalling, both online and in the stands.

But whats noticable for me, in both her and the other players statements, is that they talk about the difference she made off the pitch. She's on the PFA board, she fought for the players, she went to the PFA in 2021. No matter what the club are leaking, it was her choice, not the club. She turned down a contract.

Her leaving makes me considerably worried about the rest of the players and for the team as a whole. She was the advocate, she built the culture. She kept the players united. She's chosen to leave. It says alot.

I don't think she got on particularly with Skinner. But for me, not mentioning any staff, or the club itself is noticable.

I do think the abuse she got from fans was appalling, both online and in the stands.

But whats noticable for me, in both her and the other players statements, is that they talk about the difference she made off the pitch. She's on the PFA board, she fought for the players, she went to the PFA in 2021. No matter what the club are leaking, it was her choice, not the club. She turned down a contract.

Her leaving makes me considerably worried about the rest of the players and for the team as a whole. She was the advocate, she built the culture. She kept the players united. She's chosen to leave. It says alot.

What abuse?

There were plenty of reports around the club and plenty would leave if the manager stayed. I am surprised people act surprised. So many leaks saying what a shitshow it was in general as well

Maybe the fact they kept the manager on was the straw that broke the camels back and SJR is not exactly a big fan of unions is he. Remember Lucia Garcia was one of the Spanish rebels. Mary is vocal. Maybe he is getting rid of the women who will speak their minds.

Twitter, socials in general. Things said in the stands. There was loads. Been going on at least 4 years.

The only thing I’ve seen is from rival fans whenever she’s been called up to the England squad. Even that is usually simply saying she shouldn’t be there, nothing I’d class as abuse.

Use twitter quite a lot and for several reasons have been reading a lot of comments under the women’s team’s tweets. Never seen any abuse.

Abuse from the stands is pretty rare in women’s football and United fans are very supportive of their own players, but I guess I’ll have to take your word for it.

Last edited:
Maybe the fact they kept the manager on was the straw that broke the camels back and SJR is not exactly a big fan of unions is he. Remember Lucia Garcia was one of the Spanish rebels. Mary is vocal. Maybe he is getting rid of the women who will speak their minds.
Thats an interesting thought. But tbh, right now. I think we didn't offer what Earps wanted, money or investment wise. Lucia was offered more money in Mexico (they are paying big wages over there). Katie, I think it's possible she just got tired of the scapegoating, but in all the player messages them talking about off the pitch work is so noticeable. Perhaps she wanted to go somewhere she'd be appreciated and not need to fight.

I think SJR just has the women at no 111 on a list of 111 things. They've just said give them the same budget, renew the manager etc. Holding pattern until it's eventually got to.

I think it’s more likely that players are simply running down their contracts. All the players leaving are ones who were out of contract and there doesn’t seem to be any sign of us forcing our players on longer contracts. Although how many players recently signed a new contract with us in the last couple of years? I can only think of Toone and Blundell.

I think it’s more likely that players are simply running down their contracts. All the players leaving are ones who were out of contract and there doesn’t seem to be any sign of us forcing our players on longer contracts. Although how many players recently signed a new contract with us in the last couple of years? I can only think of Toone and Blundell.

Probably Millie Turner as well and Leah Galton?

Thats an interesting thought. But tbh, right now. I think we didn't offer what Earps wanted, money or investment wise. Lucia was offered more money in Mexico (they are paying big wages over there). Katie, I think it's possible she just got tired of the scapegoating, but in all the player messages them talking about off the pitch work is so noticeable. Perhaps she wanted to go somewhere she'd be appreciated and not need to fight.

I think SJR just has the women at no 111 on a list of 111 things. They've just said give them the same budget, renew the manager etc. Holding pattern until it's eventually got to.
Standing still in sports is effectively going backwards. In women’s football, it’s a hundred times more so.

It’s very concerning that a PFA board member has left the club like this. Very worried about what is actually happening at the club right now regarding the women’s team.

What always amazes me when you talk financially the actual sums needed to run this team in a good manner are nothing in regards to the other money associated with the club and yet it’s not really priority somehow. Just appoint proper person to run the show and spend a little bit of money. As a football entity if you want to sell Manchester United as a club in future then you do have to be able to sell the idea of inclusivity. We are at a new low for the men’s team and at a time like that the last thing we should be doing is to ignore the women’s team & let that die

What always amazes me when you talk financially the actual sums needed to run this team in a good manner are nothing in regards to the other money associated with the club and yet it’s not really priority somehow. Just appoint proper person to run the show and spend a little bit of money. As a football entity if you want to sell Manchester United as a club in future then you do have to be able to sell the idea of inclusivity. We are at a new low for the men’s team and at a time like that the last thing we should be doing is to ignore the women’s team & let that die
I think that's the frustration of most of the women's team fans. No one was expecting miracles or a big uplift in spending - but stability seemed a reasonable thing to hope for.

It looked like a free hit really, compared to the tougher and more expensive issues elsewhere - but it's looking like we've chosen to kick the ball backwards instead.

It feels strange seeing Zelem go. With Ella Toone she seemed to represent everything that United's women's team were about. Products of our own youth team structure and in their case they were players who'd had to go to other clubs at 16 and then came back to us as women ready to build the new team.

Despite my occasional frustration that the manager insisted that she start every match and play every minute (irrespective of our performance or hers) she has been a key player for us. From the lovely setpieces to the game changing goals, she's been a big part of our team since the beginning.

Crucially, she's also been a leader on the field and off it. She's helped build squad unity and helped new players understand the values and spirit that a United team needs. From the sounds of things she's also been a fighter in terms of getting the women the facilities and respect they needed.

Maybe it's that last aspect that seemingly meant United didn't even attempt to retain her. That surely can't have been a coach decision - you don't go from being needed 100% of the time (ahead of some top flight midfielders like Groenen and Guerrero) to not being needed at all.

A real shame. If she wanted to leave and we chose to let her - I could respect that, but if that was the case then it should have been announced before the end of the season. She at least deserved a goodbye and so did Garcia. Earps and Parris deserved it too, if the reports are right and they are on their way out.

This is exactly why you jump to the conclusion that they dont give a feck about it full stop, because the actual money required is peanuts.

There goes all threat of a good delivery from set pieces and corners, and the best CM the club had... Cant see this working out

"The 28-year-old has made 161 appearances for the club, scoring 32 goals, and was part of the side that won the Women's FA Cup last month. It is understood United held a further year’s option on her contract, but they reportedly opted not to trigger that option"

According to Manchester Evening news United choose to not activate Zelems optional contract year, which would mean United did not want to keep Zelem, not that she decided to leave because she was unhappy with the club. (she still could have been unhappy, but United could have kept her if they wanted)

"The 28-year-old has made 161 appearances for the club, scoring 32 goals, and was part of the side that won the Women's FA Cup last month. It is understood United held a further year’s option on her contract, but they reportedly opted not to trigger that option"

According to Manchester Evening news United choose to not activate Zelems optional contract year, which would mean United did not want to keep Zelem, not that she decided to leave because she was unhappy with the club. (she still could have been unhappy, but United could have kept her if they wanted)
That was certainly the rumour on twitter - not only hadn't we entered contract negotiations, we hadn't triggered the year's option either. I know the rumours that she was leaving were around before the end of May.

I did wonder/hope that maybe without a new contract offer in sight Katie had asked them to let her go now and it was a mutual thing.

It looks like Zelem will be joining Angel City (or they’re signing a different girl with a strong, Manc accent who also happens to be a free agent right now). She reunites with Christen Press, who recently called her one of the best captains she’s ever played with.

Hope she smashes it out there in the states.