John Stones | Performances

Tbf my bump of this thread isn't to write him off totally, just to remind us all of how Everton must be processing the £47.5m with pure laughter.

Like Stones but that attempted back-heel tackle was genuinely something you'd feel stupid doing in a casual kick about. :lol:

Had a nightmare.

He had been looking very good this season

I wouldn't hang him out to dry after a game in Barcelona

He had been looking very good this season

I wouldn't hang him out to dry after a game in Barcelona
He didn't look very good when he went flying in against Everton leaving Lukaku to go through one v one against Clichy.

Thought he was gonna be a world beater about 2 years ago, since then he's gotten worse. Then again I only ever saw his highlights mostly.

Mourinho was linked with him at Chelsea, and now seems to be a 1st team choice for City - there is surely something there. I've not seen him much this season, but writing him off is nonsense. Maybe he'll be a Jones, maybe a Rio, who knows for now.

Can't believe there are still some United supporters that would rather have him than Bailly

Not a year ago half the Caf wouldn't have minded buying this bloke for an astronomic sum. How the mighty upstarts have fallen.

Can't believe there are still some United supporters that would rather have him than Bailly
Not a year ago half the Caf wouldn't have minded buying this bloke for an astronomic sum. How the mighty upstarts have fallen.

I prefer Bailly alright but Stones must be a lot better than he is showing. Jose is usually a good judge of CB.

Nobody is writing him of, for now we can just laugh at him.
Ah, gotcha. Hadn't seen that score yet :D - was he culpable for goals against?

He reminds me of a young Titus Bramble.

Stones is class, knee jerk in here.

I remember on deadline day listening to 5live and the host asked all his guests is Stones better than David Luiz. Almost all said no, Luiz is better, more to his game. I agree.

He'd make a decent CDM tbf.

I don't think he's that good on the ball either - especially for a top club. He's going to be like David Luiz (worse version)- not good enough defensively to play as a CB, not good enough on the ball to play as a midfielder.

It's why I believe, young defenders should always nail the most important part of the role first. Defending, and that's why I was always a big fan of the likes of Smalling and Shaw. They were always going to be pretty solid starters for us, no matter what (injuries permitting).

I have seen this guy play plenty of times now and I just don't see it. Is he shit? No. He's decent to say the least but he is far from the finished product and rightly criticised IMO. Far too many basic errors.

He's a braindead, that's his problem. His positional sense is not existent - was the same at Everton as well. Covering is lacking as well. He's one of those defenders that just can't defend properly.

I don't think he's that good on the ball either - especially for a top club. He's going to be like David Luiz (worse version)- not good enough defensively to play as a CB, not good enough on the ball to play as a midfielder.

It's why I believe, young defenders should always nail the most important part of the role first. Defending, and that's why I was always a big fan of the likes of Smalling and Shaw. They were always going to be pretty solid starters for us, no matter what (injuries permitting).
I agree, but this guy isnt top club material at all, barely good enough for Everton considering he got dropped. Purely bought for his "potential", of which we seen is something mythical when it comes to English players.

City have kept 1 clean sheet in 8 league games. In that game, Stones only played 39 minutes, fewer than every other game he has played where they conceded.

Obviously you can make stats paint any picture you like but some defenders can grip games regardless of playing styles and command a shut out, not seen that from him yet.