Joe Hugill | heading to Wigan on Loan

Is he any good as in could he do a Rashford and step into the first team? Never seen him play. We have that ex city player as well, McNeill ? Is he nearly first team ready?
Don't think they are close to ready. Should go out on loan to get used to mens football. And none of them has that pace that Rashford had/has. Think McNeill needs to bulk up a fair bit.

Is he any good as in could he do a Rashford and step into the first team? Never seen him play. We have that ex city player as well, McNeill ? Is he nearly first team ready?
I don’t think so, think he’d definitely benefit from a loan. But then again I wouldn’t have thought either Rashford or Garnacho would have broke straight through.

Looks to be finding his form again after a tricky period. Let's hope he can kick on from here.

None of the strikers we have in the U21 or U18 are good enough nor will ever be. Hopefully, we can get a reasonable fee for them and they have good careers though.

Usually for any attacker to explode and get a chance in the first team, they need to have something extraordinary. I can't see that Hugill or McNeill have that. They are good for this level, but not extremely good, and they definitely don't have a body for senior football at the moment. They will need a few years to develop. Loan would do them good to see where they are and what to improve, and potentially in a few years maybe they will be PL material. At this moment, from the team that played yesterday I can't see that a single one is ready for Championship level football. Shoretire is step above all of them and he is getting League One loan.

Scored his first senior goal 6 minutes into his debut for Altrincham (he's there on this "innovative loan scheme" together with Oyedele & Aljofree).

Scored his first senior goal 6 minutes into his debut for Altrincham (he's there on this "innovative loan scheme" together with Oyedele & Aljofree).

Great news, well done to him!

His league debut. He played for them at the weekend in the FA Trophy QF.

So they're playing for amateur sides, whilst continuing training at United facilities? That sounds interesting

Yeah and playing for the academy basically in case Alty doesn't need them for that particular matchday or if the academy fixture on that particular day is seen more beneficial for their development. This might suit some players as there's less traveling than on a regular loan and I'd presume the quality of training and the facilities whether it is first team or the U21s at United are better than at Altrincham.

Last edited:
So they're playing for amateur sides, whilst continuing training at United facilities? That sounds interesting
Altrincham are now in the National League (level 5) and became professional at the start of the season. 21 out of the 24 teams in the NL this season are professional, only 3 remaining semi-professional. So they're potentially getting some decent matchday experience against some former league clubs - Wrexham, Notts County, Southend, York, etc.

So, yeah, I think it's a good idea as well - giving players who may not be ready for regular EFL matches some game time at a decent level while still keeping a close control over their development.

A touch more like getting them used to the probable levels they are going to be playing in and we're hoping to get some dough from them. Charlie Savage multiple year contract was a horror in my opinion.

A touch more like getting them used to the probable levels they are going to be playing in and we're hoping to get some dough from them. Charlie Savage multiple year contract was a horror in my opinion.

Its amazing some of the money we have spent and some of the levels they are playing at. What would the likes of Hannibal, Chong, Diallo be worth if we sold them on currently? Many thought Shoretire and Mcneil were destined for our first team but with one goal between them in 23 games in League1/2 respectively will they command much of a fee given they are approaching 20? Certainly shows how hard it is to make it in the game at any level.

Chong has been sold permanently and the other two are promising young players with a lot of room to grow. Nothing to complain about.

Given the prices paid do you think we could return a profit? Be amazed if they play regularly in our first team given level.

Given the prices paid do you think we could return a profit? Be amazed if they play regularly in our first team given level.
Yeah if we were competent in the market we could. However, neither of those two will be available for sale and their values should only increase. Both are capable of becoming first team players, but as ever, you need that little bit of luck.

Last edited:
Starting today for Altrincham - seems to be getting a good run of games lately with them

Not sure why this thread is dead, but he played a part in all 3 matches for Burton after loan. Scored one, had one assist so far, so it is pretty positive start.

His only goal so far

I go on a few Wigan games every season, hopefully he does well.

with all due respect, if you’re getting a few games for wigan, then i don’t think the standard there is good enough to develop him.

I go on a few Wigan games every season, hopefully he does well.
Being initially from around that area, I have family who support them so I've passed the link on and will hopefully get some scouting reviews from them.

He’s born in 2003 like Hojlund? I thought he was a year younger or so. Hopefully he will be a starter at Wigan and gets plenty of minutes

He’s born in 2003 like Hojlund? I thought he was a year younger or so. Hopefully he will be a starter at Wigan and gets plenty of minutes
Speaking to some of my family who support them, they've said that they currently were very low on strikers. That was the main area they needed to strengthen as their three senior strikers had all left / been released, and their signings up till now were other positions.

So as the squad currently stands he should have a good opportunity for starts. Though they've still got plenty of time to make other attacking signings that'll take the starting roles. But hopefully not.

Sounds like a good opportunity for him.

I don't think he will make it here (trying to break through as a striker for a big club is an not an enviable task unless you're Mbappe level) but I think he could have a good career.

I feel like when a player isn't good enough to break through at Utd people sometimes forget we still have something of a duty of care for these lads.

Part of the fabric of the club.

I don't think he will make it here (trying to break through as a striker for a big club is an not an enviable task unless you're Mbappe level) but I think he could have a good career.

F*CKING YOU-KNOW-WHO G*DF*CKINGD*MNIT

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE YOU!

Sounds like a good opportunity for him.

I feel like when a player isn't good enough to break through at Utd people sometimes forget we still have something of a duty of care for these lads.

Part of the fabric of the club.

Agreed.

It's also important for self-serving reasons as well. It helps the academy recruit the best youth players if the club can demonstrate that it produces good numbers who go on to have good professional careers, or to help them outside of football as well.