Jean-Clair Todibo

Wrecking ralf

Am I wrong here? INEOS aren’t the full owners at Utd, the Glazers are still majority owners. So should these rules actually apply to us?

arnoldS

Would that rule mean that we can still buy him but he can't play in the EL? Surely if he is the #1 target that wouldn't be that bad?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Am I wrong here? INEOS aren’t the full owners at Utd, the Glazers are still majority owners. So should these rules actually apply to us?
Full or even majority ownership isn't a necessity for the transfer restriction to hold. The transfer restrictions are stricter than the rules put in place to prevent two or more teams with the same ownership competing in the same European competitions.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
What a stupid rule.

So City who just happen to own a club in every country ‘assign’ a player to Troyes, loan him to Girona and then officially ‘sign’ him for €30m which is clearly well below 2024 market value, but United try to sign a player from Nice who are co-owned by part-owners, with no sign of a cut price deal…that’s where the line is drawn, because they’re both in the Europa?

Group ownership is stupid and shouldn’t be allowed, but these lower level rules are absolutely stupid when you look at the granular detail.

Omar Berrada has his work cut out.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He is but the point is if he ends up at Villa he must not be as good as some on here have been saying for the last 6 months or so.

If he was a Maguire replacement I would be okay with that but we need a Varane replacement.
Or Villa have been a lot better in the market and also United are not allowed to sign him.

hobbers

He is but the point is if he ends up at Villa he must not be as good as some on here have been saying for the last 6 months or so.

If he was a Maguire replacement I would be okay with that but we need a Varane replacement.
But Villa are a champions league club with a better manager and more ambition than we have.

They’ve done that partly by making excellent signings.

There’s no reason Todibo couldn’t be the next Saliba. There’s equally no reason he couldn’t be the next mediocre plodder like Disasi.

van Nistelrooy

I think it's enough to have any financial interest in a club, no matter the level of ownership.

Surely UEFA could have a regulator who could ratify any potential deal between two clubs like this, to ensure an appropriate fee is being used? If we're willing to pay £40m for Todibo, but aren't allowed due to current rules, then this would be very frustrating if he transferred to another club this summer for the same proposed fee!

RedRocket9908

I very much doubt this would work, any transfer between clubs in different European countries has to be approved by UEFA so they would likely realise whats happening and block it.

If its the same as last year the ban on transfers and loans is only for the summer window so we would still be able to sign him in January.

DownRiver

Okay…so what benefits would owning both Nice and Man Utd be?

Sell Nice and at least use the money on a stadium.

El Jefe

Or Villa have been a lot better in the market and also United are not allowed to sign him.
This isn’t a discussion of Villa or Manchester United. There are a bunch of clubs better than both so if Villa and United is the height of the clubs he’s linked with then he’s clearly not that good.

But Villa are a champions league club with a better manager and more ambition than we have.

There’s no reason Todibo couldn’t be the next Saliba. There’s equally no reason he couldn’t be the next mediocre plodder like Disasi.
Villa have made excellent signings for their level and the height of that level is what they finished at last season which is 4th.

We aren’t trying to be the next Villa. Plus we’ve seen Newcastle and Leicester in recent years finish top 4 and not repeat it the next season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There's always a plan B mate. @golden_blunder

What is clear from Romano's information is that we definitely wanted to sign Todibo. But again if we can't sign Todibo, then there's other players who we can also target at CB imo, and I'm hoping we sign two CBs.

I think the RCB market is quite vast with a number of very interesting options. And I think if Todibo is no longer a possibility for us then moving on to someone like Odilon Kossounou would be the correct next step imo. Kossounou is also someone that is comfortable playing the hybrid RCB/RB role which I believe is a big weapon to have in your team as far as exerting control on the game.

Kossounou recently turned 23, and is a physically and athletically gifted player with the ability to break lines at a very high level both with the pass and his carrying ability. People will point to his lack of numbers in aerial duels but having looked at Tapsoba and Tah's aerial stats, they also haven't done well in aerial duels which is quite surprising. But Leverkusen had the best defensive record in the league whilst going unbeaten throughout. The pace and power of that backline along with their technical qualities on the ball made a big difference to that Leverkusen team as whole.

If we can sign Branthwaite along with someone like Kossounou, it would be the way forward.

hobbers

This isn’t a discussion of Villa or Manchester United. There are a bunch of clubs better than both so if Villa and United is the height of the clubs he’s linked with then he’s clearly not that good.

Villa have made excellent signings for their level and the height of that level is what they finished at last season which is 4th.

We aren’t trying to be the next Villa. Plus we’ve seen Newcastle and Leicester in recent years finish top 4 and not repeat it the next season.
They're ahead of where Arsenal were when they bought Saliba, and now he's probably the best CB in the league. So I wouldnt use that a yardstick on the player.

leontas

Haven't RB and the City Group been doing these types of deals for the last few years? Why is it suddenly an issue when we are involved?

saik

There's always a plan B mate. @golden_blunder

What is clear from Romano's information is that we definitely wanted to sign Todibo. But again if we can't sign Todibo, then there's other players who we can also target at CB imo, and I'm hoping we sign two CBs.

I think the RCB market is quite vast with a number of very interesting options. And I think if Todibo is no longer a possibility for us then moving on to someone like Odilon Kossounou would be the correct next step imo. Kossounou is also someone that is comfortable playing the hybrid RCB/RB role which I believe is a big weapon to have in your team as far as exerting control on the game.

Kossounou recently turned 23, and is a physically and athletically gifted player with the ability to break lines at a very high level both with the pass and his carrying ability. People will point to his lack of numbers in aerial duels but having looked at Tapsoba and Tah's aerial stats, they also haven't done well in aerial duels which is quite surprising. But Leverkusen had the best defensive record in the league whilst going unbeaten throughout. The pace and power of that backline along with their technical qualities on the ball made a big difference to that Leverkusen team as whole.

If we can sign Branthwaite along with someone like Kossounou, it would be the way forward.
No longer on the Diomande hype train I assume? I would like him but looks like he's going to cost similar to Branthwaite.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No longer on the Diomande hype train I assume? I would like him but looks like he's going to cost similar to Branthwaite.
Diomande would be good as well but I'm not sure SCP will relent on the €80m release clause.

El Jefe

They're ahead of where Arsenal were when they bought Saliba, and now he's probably the best CB in the league. So I wouldnt use that a yardstick on the player.
That’s not even comparable in the slightest. Saliba was bought as an 18yo for big money so was an investment for the future. Todibo is 24 and established, if he’s as good as some on here make out he shouldn’t be going to Villa.

Saliba wouldn’t be going to Villa if he was to leave Arsenal would he?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I could understand them having an issue if we signed him for £5 million or something stupid, but if it’s market value, then what’s the problem?

saik

Diomande would be good as well but I'm not sure SCP will relent on the €80m release clause.
I agree. If there is any indication that he can be bought for around 50m we should be all over it.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

More ambition :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
If we can find a solution to play in Europe same time as Nice I’m sure we can find a solution to a transfer

Bertie Wooster

If it's not so much the ownership issue in general, but just an issue with us both playing in the same European competition - then why can't United just be told that they wouldn't be allowed to register him for that competition but could still sign him to play in their domestic competitions? Making it pretty much the same as signing a 'cup tied' player, that you just can't select in that one cup competition for the rest of that season but can still pick in all the rest.

Last edited:

RoyH1

How can City and Red Bull group keep on doing it but we can’t? INEOS doesn’t even have a majority stake in United

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree. If there is any indication that he can be bought for around 50m we should be all over it.
Potentially he looks like the most rounded CB that we can sign. But I think as he's so young, he'd probably be best advised to stay at SCP for one more season.

And if Aston Villa's interest in Todibo is genuine then it shows how far he's come because the likes of Monchi and Emery are quite intent on creating a team with a identity. And as far as Monchi is concerned, he's very good at his job with a team below him who have a history of identifying talented players.

For us it's not about replacing any player but rather it's about creating a team that can then be moulded into playing a proactive attacking playing style.

Gandalf

If it's not so much the ownership issue in general, but just an issue with us both playing in the same European competition - then why can't United just be told that they wouldn't be allowed to register him for that competition but could still sign him to play in their domestic competitions? Making it pretty much the same as signing a 'cup tied' player, that you just can't select in that one cup competition for the rest of that season but can still pick in all the rest.
Because technically we could still be seen to have weakened Nice by signing one of their star players thus increasing our chances in the competition.

Infestissumam

all you can do is laugh. You can probably build a complete XI of players who moved from Salzburg to Leipzig while they were both in the CL or EL, and nobody batted an eye. But United might sign a single player from Nice? Oooooh, the horror :lol:

really can't make up this shite.

Bertie Wooster

Because technically we could still be seen to have weakened Nice by signing one of their star players thus increasing our chances in the competition.
Hmm.

I guess, technically. If you're looking for the only possible reason to deny it. But I hardly think taking a player out of the equation that could have been playing for one or other of your sides is the kind of unfair advantage of multi-club ownership that they should be majorly addressing.

In terms of the 2024/5 EL campaign, it actually benefits every other club / owner more than ours to have Todibo unavailable for either Nice or United. It's hardly something they'd have done to benefit either of their sides in terms of the EL.

If they're really going to clamp down on it as strictly as this in all situations from now on then fair enough, we're just unlucky with the timing. But they seem to have been pretty lenient with it with so many of the other multi-club owners, even since the rule change, so let's hope they start being as vigilant with others.

RoyH1

all you can do is laugh. You can probably build a complete XI of players who moved from Salzburg to Leipzig while they were both in the CL or EL, and nobody batted an eye. But United might sign a single player from Nice? Oooooh, the horror :lol:

We need better lawyers who have a grasp of Swiss and European labour laws. City is outlawyering and we can't have that.

brian017

What if he demanded to be “released“ from his contract, became a free agent and we signed him on a free with a large signing on bonus which he gives to nice as “compensation” for breaking his contract?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Remember when we wanted Sesko, and were quoted 50m? Then Leipzig signed him for 24m euros.