View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulisic was a super sub at Dortmund, Haller was a decent striker at Frankfurt, nothing special. Keita was ruined by injuries. And you conveniently forgot Akanji, Gündogan, Matip, Sané, Son, Xhaka, Fuchs, and probably many others I forgot who succeeded in the EPL and in many cases even upped their level in comparison to their Bundesliga time.

This is just selective perception because United and Chelsea are/were terrible at integrating players who are used to playing in a modern tactical setup.
It’s a good point. I really hope sancho kicks on, for me fitness could be an issue for him in regards to weight. Surprised the club hasn’t addressed it with him but I truly think if he was lighter he would feel more confident to push past defenders. I can relate personally as well, in the Bundesliga he felt comfortable doing so but the PL is different as we know

Another very strong half from him as a false 9. I would expect to see him start the season there... But he hasn't been getting any gametime alongside Rashford so I dunno.

Aggression, great touches and dribbling, very good movement, just final ball weight bit off.

Another very strong half from him as a false 9. I would expect to see him start the season there... But he hasn't been getting any gametime alongside Rashford so I dunno.

Aggression, great touches and dribbling, very good movement, just final ball weight bit off.
Aggressive Sancho :eek:

It’s great to have a few players pushing each other hard to play. We have great options across the attack now. If greenwood was to come back the same player at any point we’d be set at striker too. We are finally getting a bit of value out of our signings and the age profile is good.

Interesting that Sancho's staying on for 90 mins - maybe an indicator of our team for the opening game (Varane for Evans) vs Wolves?

Not really. He turned up last preseason too. It's in matches that actually matter where he goes missing
I am glad that Sancho is playing well but as you said, he usually does in pre season. Hope this goes on in the regular season this time.

He's our only good attacker this pre-season, which is very worrying.

Good performance, was sharp. Not sure where he plays once Hoijlund joins and Martial/Rashford both can play as a ST

I honestly think he's been good centrally. Should have done way better with that botched pass to Van De Beek though.

Good performance, was sharp. Not sure where he plays once Hoijlund joins and Martial/Rashford both can play as a ST
I'm hoping the rotation is between Hojlund/Sancho and Martial when actually fit at CF and Rashford stays LW. He's far better there. And Sancho plays the central role quite well imo. Hojlund is young so it's unreasonable to expect him to jump in the prem and be an automatic starter from day 1.

Thought he did better as false 9 than as winger. Could be because him being lack of pace but good on tight space.

He's our only good attacker this pre-season, which is very worrying.
:rolleyes: our first-choice attackers almost all came back late from holiday due to international duty and are understandably still rusty. We go through this every year and people still forget that pre-season is specifically about rebuilding sharpness. Sancho is weeks of training and matches ahead of most of his 1st string peers and understandably looks sharper.

Interesting that Sancho's staying on for 90 mins - maybe an indicator of our team for the opening game (Varane for Evans) vs Wolves?

I thought Evans was a bit ring rusty -- or his legs are gone. Slow to react in both games

Probably the bench until he wins a spot in one of the front 3 positions. I’d have him rotating with Antony on the right. Hojlund and Martial for the ST and Rashford/Garnacho for LW. That’s some good squad depth.

Thought he did better as false 9 than as winger. Could be because him being lack of pace but good on tight space.

Yah... he gets more involved. Pressing, dribbling, finding the open man... all in tight spaces. That's utilising all his base skill sets. Its the best solution for him since he just isn't fast enough on the wings in the PL with all the fast(er) fullbacks we have in the League.

A faster version of Mata?

Probably the bench until he wins a spot in one of the front 3 positions. I’d have him rotating with Antony on the right. Hojlund and Martial for the ST and Rashford/Garnacho for LW. That’s some good squad depth.
At some point this season, the banished #11 will be back too.

Yah... he gets more involved. Pressing, dribbling, finding the open man... all in tight spaces. That's utilising all his base skill sets. Its the best solution for him since he just isn't fast enough on the wings in the PL with all the fast(er) fullbacks we have in the League.

A faster version of Mata?
But wonder what would his future at United be like. If we have outstanding goalscoring wing forwards or whole team capable of scoring goals, maybe playing false 9 would work. However since we are moving towards big CF in Hojlund, seems his place at the team would be abit strange.

But wonder what would his future at United be like. If we have outstanding goalscoring wing forwards or whole team capable of scoring goals, maybe playing false 9 would work. However since we are moving towards big CF in Hojlund, seems his place at the team would be abit strange.

He'd be the back up for bruno or first choice sub for the right wing, pushing antony

Agree. Either Sancho has to excel in the false 9 role -- and I can see where we can be playing that sort of approach -- or we need to go into asset protection mode. The other way of looking at is that he can play across the front 3, just not really excel in any. Our Plasticine man.

Agree. Either Sancho has to excel in the false 9 role -- and I can see where we can be playing that sort of approach -- or we need to go into asset protection mode. The other way of looking at is that he can play across the front 3, just not really excel in any. Our Plasticine man.
I think he'll play centrally. He offers the opposite of what Hojlund does. ETH likes to change things up this way to imbalance the opposite. Bit like how Ziyech played as false 9 for him at Ajax and the other option was Haller.

I think he'll play centrally. He offers the opposite of what Hojlund does. ETH likes to change things up this way to imbalance the opposite. Bit like how Ziyech played as false 9 for him at Ajax and the other option was Haller.
I think you mean Tadic.

Good to the some positivity around his performance in here

I only watched the 20mins highlights on united website and saw him touch the ball maybe twice - I assumed he'd be getting pelters in here!

I have not seen any of the preseason games apart from the goals but am happy to hear Sancho appears to have upped his ante a notch so looking forward to him keeping it up.

Still hope he's sold. Neither RW nor striker back up seems like a particularly good fit for him. Should leave and seek his luck where he's played in a position he's actually great in. Though that false 9 role could actually work. Almost hoping now that the Hojlund transfer fails

Just finished watching first half and he's probably been our best player. Looks really sharp.
Definitely more aggressive and more effort but lacked end final product for me such is the narrative of his story with us so far, there's improvements but the team wasn't on the same wavelength so perhaps wasn't helped there.

I know everyone's getting hyped about him in the no.9 position, but there's a vast difference to playing there in pre season where no one is trying to get injured and just building up fitness with bit part teams to playing vs hardened premier league defenses, whilst under pressure that are well co-ordinated, want to beat man united and go in for actual serious tackles all game long.

False or no.9 isn't something you can just pick up in a few pre season games either, i would be very surprised if this translates well to the premier league personally.

I know everyone's getting hyped about him in the no.9 position, but there's a vast difference to playing there in pre season where no one is trying to get injured and just building up fitness with bit part teams to playing vs hardened premier league defenses, whilst under pressure that are well co-ordinated, want to beat man united and go in for actual serious tackles all game long.

False or no.9 isn't something you can just pick up in a few pre season games either, i would be very surprised if this translates well to the premier league personally.
Nobody is being hyped about it because it'll not be a thing. Hojlund, Martial, and Rashford would need to be unavailable for us to play him as false 9. Or at least the first two.
Worst case scenario it'll be a few games just because Rashford doesn't enjoy starting CF position. I'd still rather have Rashford up top and Garnacho on the left than Sancho as false 9. I can't imagine ETH wants such a low energy player in that position as well.

I think he stayed on a bit longer because of no Amad in the squad. Team v Wolves will most likely be the team we started against Real Madrid with the exception of Antony in for Mainoo

Football and tactics are changing - the False 9 won't be the same as it was with Messi playing there in Pep's Barcelona or Cesc Fabregas in Spainish national team anymore. The Midfield boxes and tactical outlets are the current meta in the absolute top plays now. Rashford might be written on paper on the left and Sancho to middle, but in actual gameplay it might not be like it.

He looked good in pre season last summer... lets see how he does under pressure when the season starts. I hope he does well, even if we can get 60% of Dortmund Sancho it would make a massive difference

Think he's been up there with Shaw and Martinez and Onana about best players this pre season. Dalot probably there too to make it a too 5. Sancho has been by far the best of the midfield and attackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.