View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I'm not, obviously he needs to take some blame, but it's a worry a player like him never works with us.
That's an extremely generic statement. This guy doesn't work hard, doesn't play with intensity, less physical and has serious lack of pace. Name one player like this in EPL who has worked quite well for other clubs ?

Withnail

They are not going to be exactly like him but off the top of my head Di Maria, Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Mata.
I thought you'd have one or two of those on the list. For me, your theory falls apart on one level because of the time-frame, different managers and backroom staff involved. Kagawa was brought in by Fergie and the others were also quite some time ago.

However, my thinking on Mkhitaryan and Kagawa is that they weren't physically suited to the league and our scouts didn't do a good enough job there. Mkhitaryan didn't exactly pull up any trees at Arsenal either so it's not just a United thing. Very much like Sancho they looked great at a lower level but couldn't step up.

Mata and Di Maria don't fall into the same category for me. Mata had maybe lost a bit of physicality when he came to us. He was a very classy player but could be pushed off the ball far too easily. Mourinho sold him at the right time I feel but yeah with him he never seemed to fit with the system or the players we had around him. And Di Maria just didn't want to be in England. He was arguably mismanaged and shunted around by LVG. Under a different manager I think he could have been a success.

Overall I don't think it's as simple as saying United can't make these types of players work due to the different environments they were operating in. I'd put it down to a lack of due diligence on the scouting/recruitment side which would also apply to Sancho.

Hammondo

That's an extremely generic statement. This guy doesn't work hard, doesn't play with intensity, less physical and has serious lack of pace. Name one player like this in EPL who has worked quite well for other clubs ?
Aside from the lack of hard work, which Sancho used to do, Mahrez, foden, David Silva were 3 easy ones off the top of my head.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Aside from the lack of hard work, which Sancho used to do, Mahrez, foden, David Silva were 3 easy ones off the top of my head.
Mahrez, Foden and Silva - nice. I rest my case. Sorry mate, you are living in an alternative world.

cyberman

Very difficult to comment on a situation I don't know about, and yes it is pretty damn 1 dimensional.
But how? If we can get him away 1 v 1 and / or facing defenders up towards their own box then surely the responsibility then lays with him? He’s meant to the creator, the man out wide manipulating the ball.
There’s nothing you’ve said about his style and how he plays that’s making any sort or argument . It’s just vague statements about not using him well

Eriku

Higher level? Dortmund is better than us, they do better in the CL than we do.
That would only bolster the argument against. He’s in a better team in a weaker league? Boy, I wonder why he’s doing well.

It’s fair to say that coming to United is a rough proposition these days, but it’s also very evident that Sancho doesn’t have the mentality to play at a top club with top demands. Dortmund might be doing better, but the pressure there is far less.

Hammondo

I thought you'd have one or two of those on the list. For me, your theory falls apart on one level because of the time-frame, different managers and backroom staff involved. Kagawa was brought in by Fergie and the others were also quite some time ago.

However, my thinking on Mkhitaryan and Kagawa is that they weren't physically suited to the league and our scouts didn't do a good enough job there. Mkhitaryan didn't exactly pull up any trees at Arsenal either so it's not just a United thing. Very much like Sancho they looked great at a lower level but couldn't step up.

Mata and Di Maria don't fall into the same category for me. Mata had maybe lost a bit of physicality when he came to us. He was a very classy player but could be pushed off the ball far too easily. Mourinho sold him at the right time I feel but yeah with him he never seemed to fit with the system or the players we had around him. And Di Maria just didn't want to be in England. He was arguably mismanaged and shunted around by LVG. Under a different manager I think he could have been a success.

Overall I don't think it's as simple as saying United can't make these types of players work due to the different environments they were operating in. I'd put it down to a lack of due diligence on the scouting/recruitment side which would also apply to Sancho.
Mata was in no way different for us from Chelsea, he had not physically declined. He was 25 when he joined us, and we had no idea how to use him, and couldn't play the style of football that suits him.

Kagawa and Mkhitaryan both did better in the CL with Dortmund than with us, so it's not about the level.

Di Maria and Mata both fit the type, both looked lost at United with the way we played football. Di Maria got frustrated with us and stopped caring as he wanted to leave.

Hammondo

That would only bolster the argument against. He’s in a better team in a weaker league? Boy, I wonder why he’s doing well.

It’s fair to say that coming to United is a rough proposition these days, but it’s also very evident that Sancho doesn’t have the mentality to play at a top club with top demands. Dortmund might be doing better, but the pressure there is far less.
But he's done well in the CL against better teams, a competition we don't do anything in, if we even qualify for it. Our level comes into question, we have one of the lowest amount of goals in the league, we clearly are not at a high attacking level.

Eriku

But he's done well in the CL against better teams, a competition we don't do anything in, if we even qualify for it. Our level comes into question, we have one of the lowest amount of goals in the league, we clearly are not at a high attacking level.
Nobody’s arguing United is doing great. But what he’s shown for us, coupled with his shitty attitude when given mild criticism, tells us everything we need to know. Get rid.

I’m astounded there’s still people defending him.

And for the record, Højlund is smashing it in the CL too, despite playing for United. Clearly the PL has different demands.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But the CL is higher than the PL.
I’m not sure if you’re being deliberately obtuse or it’s just who you are but Sancho has clearly proven to be a mental midget who needs time, space and molly-coddling to show his quality. Of which he was plenty - I was very excited about his signing but he’s been a laughably bad failure. We aren’t the easiest team to play for but there’s no excuse for his displays. I should have seen the signs from his inability to make an impact at NT team level.

Doracle

Sky sports label the Dortmund highlight vid "Sancho shines again"

Plays shit against a shit side except for diving to win a penalty. Cretins.
Haven’t seen the full match but the way in which he went past the two defenders for the penalty was schoolboy level defending.

We need him to look like an absolute superstar though. I don’t think he’s good enough for a top club but the narrative that it’s a United problem and he can shine elsewhere is a good one for us, if we are to cut our losses in the summer.

RVN1991

Yeah, he's just a flash in the pan
He's literally only performed well for Dortmund as a senior player, that's not opinion that's a fact. He's not particularly quick, not particularly skillful, mentally weak, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can count with one hand the number of good performances I've seen from him for club and country. What does that tell you?

Maybe playing with Hakimi and Halaand makes things a little bit easier as an attacker than having AWB and Rashford and there's nothing wrong with that, but he's not the talent people claimed he was.

Pickle85

He's literally only performed well for Dortmund as a senior player, that's not opinion that's a fact. He's not particularly quick, not particularly skillful, mentally weak, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can count with one hand the number of good performances I've seen from him for club and country. What does that tell you?

Maybe playing with Hakimi and Halaand makes things a little bit easier as an attacker than having AWB and Rashford and there's nothing wrong with that, but he's not the talent people claimed he was.
I think @giorno was making a pan/skillet pun?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
When you need players with blistering pace to compensate for a lack of organization and movement, paceless players should be the least of your concerns, IMO.

RVN1991

Same story with England. If he didn't impress you for Dortmund then it probably makes no sense to discuss him with you as our definitions of good attacking players seem to be very far apart ;)
Caught him mostly in the CL for Dortmund tbf. Maybe I needed to catch him vs the Nurembergs and Paderborns of this world to see him have a good performance.

RVN1991

When you need players with blistering pace to compensate for a lack of organization and movement, paceless players should be the least of your concerns, IMO.
Not very many slow, unskilled wingers make it in England tbf.

Pickle85

Same story with England. If he didn't impress you for Dortmund then it probably makes no sense to discuss him with you as our definitions of good attacking players seem to be very far apart ;)
In fairness you're a sucker for any sort of technician, regardless of physical attributes, as long as they look tidy on the ball :lol:

Hammondo

Nobody’s arguing United is doing great. But what he’s shown for us, coupled with his shitty attitude when given mild criticism, tells us everything we need to know. Get rid.

I’m astounded there’s still people defending him.

And for the record, Højlund is smashing it in the CL too, despite playing for United. Clearly the PL has different demands.
I am not defending him, I am criticizing us.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Caught him mostly in the CL for Dortmund tbf. Maybe I needed to catch him vs the Nurembergs and Paderborns of this world to see him have a good performance.
He was excellent against PSG for BVVB. Outperformed Neymar and Mbappe back then.

Not very many slow, unskilled wingers make it in England tbf.
Because most English fans/clubs see pace as a means in itself.

In fairness you're a sucker for any sort of technician, regardless of physical attributes, as long as they look tidy on the ball :lol:
Absolutely, it is by far the most important aspect in a footballer besides football IQ :)

Pickle85

He was excellent against PSG for BVVB. Outperformed Neymar and Mbappe back then.

Because most English fans/clubs see pace as a means in itself.

Absolutely, it is by far the most important aspect in a footballer besides football IQ :)
You're a purist and I salute that :D

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I think all this talk about his potential and competitiveness of PL vs another league so often forgets about what to me is a huge factor every time: the level of distractions a player has here vs elsewhere.

If you play at United (or many of the other PL clubs for that matter) - you are more likely to both become known the world over and the league and clubs themselves have a lot more allure typically (save for maybe a Bayern in the BL but even then I wonder if it competes).

If you're a player like Sancho or a Pogba before who clearly have a hard time focusing on the actual work - then hanging out with celebs in Miami or LA and the insane amount of media exposure about you as an individual alone must be akin to a death penalty. I truly think this is a huge factor with some of these attitude issues. To me its not much different than someone going to a college/uni known as a party school while still having high education standards and the student keeps getting distracted by the side activities rather than their grades.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You're a purist and I salute that :D
Glad to hear that :D

He's a bore. He is incapable of seeing football beyond a massively limited spectrum - a spectrum, I would add, that is not particularly used in modern football in general.
I'm the one posting in a foreign football forum, exposing myself to different opinions and perspectives on football while you refuse to leave your United nd British football bubble, so I don't think you're in any position to criticize me in that regard ;)

That aside, if you really follow international football, it is clear that there is currently one dominant style that is much more successful than all the others. It would be great if there still were different paths to being successful but it is what it is, one (overarching) approach is simply superior right now.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Without wanting to sound biased, the arguments in favour of Sancho in this thread make zero sense.

If he was as good as people insinuate, he would never have signed for United because Pep would never have let him leave City. They've signed multiple wide players since he left.

He also wouldn't have gotten into this mess in the first place, because he would have been in the squad for the Arsenal game. The fact he wasn't and no one really thought all that much of it until he responded to a mild comment from ETH on twitter, doesn't substantiate this idea he was a great attacking player that United were "wasting".

I cant be arsed to trawl back through 4-5 year old posts but i was always sceptical of him as a potential pl player as i dont think he has any particularly exceptional or explosive attribute to make him stand out in a league as physical and competitive as the premier league. If you're a wide player and you don’t have explosive pace, ability to score goals of your own making, exceptional strength, or technical ability that is almost off the scale, you will struggle at the top end of the pl. Sancho has none if these things.

He hasn't gotten a looking for England in years, he got plenty pf games at United and the best he managed was to look tidy a few times. He is also not the first similar type of player to stand out at Dortmund only to fail to deal with the intensity of the pl.

There really is nothing to base this idea he's a great player who's somehow been unfairly treated by three separate United managers on. Other than the usual redcafe routine of wanting to reinvent reality to sh*t on either our manager or one of our players.

Like him or loathe him, there is absolutely nothing about the way ETH manages to suggest he wouldn’t have been playing Sancho, if he was doing well enough.

Amd for the record I thought ETH handled the whole thing terribly, but the fact is it happened because Sancho wasn't good enough to get in our squad, and it dragged on because Sancho didn't want to respect his boss/manager, which in pretty much any job, anywhere, doesn't get you far.

I don't fully disagree but Zlatan was a successful signing. The only good for one season argument doesn't work, because that can also apply to RVP. Martinez, Lake Shaw, Bissaka, Varane, Casemiro, all proven to be important. Eriksen was very important last season. Matic had a good first season. Cavan was very important in his first season. Martial was very good his first season. Herrera, Malta both ended up being pretty important.

The problem isn't that we ruin players. It's that we don't sign them with any kind of plan or strategy. Although in Sancho's case it's not like he ever looked good in a United shirt or for any other comparable team in the first place.
Pep got rid of Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Ibrahimovic and Yaya Touré and let Sterling, Mahrez, Sané, etc. leave when they asked for it. When he doesn't veto the departure of important players because they no longer want be there, he won't veto an academy player leaving either, no matter his talent.

Joel Miller

He was just as unimpressive with England as he was with United. Dortmund and the Bundesliga are his level, not to belittle his ability but you can see it in the penalty he won, I don't know much about Koln but the defending was comical. His style of play suits the Bundesliga far better than the premier League as well.
I know the level of the Bundesliga has dropped a bit, but is it really that bad? Curiously enough I have seen some of tbe the same people implying Sancho can only do well in that league because it’s not very good, also gushing over Kane for filling his boots there with the team who’ve won the last 10 or 11 titles, not much consistency there.

Anyway, it’s not just Sancho, there’s various players who’ve seemed to lose their way here. As someone else said, even Di Maria showed up and looked a shadow of the game changing player he usually is.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I know the level of the Bundesliga has dropped a bit, but is it really that bad?
It's not as bad as people on here often make it sound, but obviously quite a few people only now had a look at Dortmund's highlights because of Sancho. And for these two matches it is a simple fact that Dortmund played against the two worst teams in the league. That's not representative for the whole league, but Köln and Darmstadt truly are as terrible as you can imagine.