View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
outside of the saudi league, he's already maximised his earning potential in his early twenties, probs doesnt care too much about the national team, and is enjoying his life off the pitch. and when his contract here finishes, he'll get a fat new contract from somewhere on a free transfer. he probably thinks he's made the sacrifices and put the hard yards in when in his teenage years.
that is not the making of a loser.

outside of the saudi league, he's already maximised his earning potential in his early twenties, probs doesnt care too much about the national team, and is enjoying his life off the pitch. and when his contract here finishes, he'll get a fat new contract from somewhere on a free transfer. he probably thinks he's made the sacrifices and put the hard yards in when in his teenage years.
that is not the making of a loser.

Think that is unfair about the national team comment, you have no idea what his aspirations are when it comes to the national team.

In fact, it was reported in some corners that his whole mental health issues last year were in small part due to his exclusion from the national team and not making the squad for the WC.

We all saw what happened to Rashford last year and how he bounced back under ETH. I know Sancho has had a year with ETH too, but I’d argue he was in a worse starting point.

Sancho has one more year in my view, no more excuses though.

Think that is unfair about the national team comment, you have no idea what his aspirations are when it comes to the national team.

In fact, it was reported in some corners that his whole mental health issues last year were in small part due to his exclusion from the national team and not making the squad for the WC.

We all saw what happened to Rashford last year and how he bounced back under ETH. I know Sancho has had a year with ETH too, but I’d argue he was in a worse starting point.

The last line of your opinion is shared by many on this board but it's not relevant. Who cares whether we are willing to "give him one more year"? The reality is, we're stuck with him for three more years because his wages are stratospheric. There is no shipping him off - at least not without a rock bottom transfer fee and/or heavy subsidization of wages to the buying club, which is very bad business.

Practically speaking, there is only one view, which is that he has 3 more years to prove himself. If he doesn't come good, he'll go for free. If he does come good, we'll give him a new contract. In the intervening period, loans will not make financial sense for us, and transferring him will not make sense to an acquirer (or him, for that matter).

We gave him a contract that you should only give to an absolute sure thing, because it limits all your options, but then it turned out he was not a sure thing. I don't see any viable alternatives. Anyone more creative than me?

Lacks motivation I reckon. He has won the lottery with his Utd contract and can't be bothered anymore. He is not ready to put the work and effort required to compensate for his lack of physical attribute to survive in the league. Additionally lacks fight and desire during games. Never seen a player as weak as bread soaked in water.

Not sure why got a feeling he’ll finally come good this year. Maybe working with a proper number 9 or maybe Mount. But he’ll definitely stand out this time (hopefully)

At the risk of sounding insensitive, if bolded is true I question whether he has the ability to cope with the pressures of being a United player. However, I would doubt the veracity of those reports.

Not sure why got a feeling he’ll finally come good this year. Maybe working with a proper number 9 or maybe Mount. But he’ll definitely stand out this time (hopefully)
Im hoping for this as well. A number 9 may make it easier for him to be decisive with his final pass. Mount is a good team player with good technical ability and i could defeinently see him playing passes behind the the full back for someone like sancho to make the final pass or shot.

He looked good in the last pre-season game in terms of fitness and hunger. Let's hope he pushes on.

I think he’ll always be fairly productive and look good every third game as he’s got too much technical ability. But more than a number 9, Mount etc it’s being able to thrive and not suffer under physical challenges that will determine whether he can make it here. That’s the one thing that’s holding him back - he doesn’t want to tussle, he doesn’t want players getting close to him, he doesn’t want to drive into crowded regions etc as when he does he gets bullied so mostly plays the safe pass.

Really hope he can take the next step as a proper Sancho would be such a brilliant creative force.

Found his recycling of the ball really annoying today when the attack was in good position and he got it on the wing with a chance to go 1 on 1.

Im not sure what his strongest position for us would be.
We have better players on the left and right (id say two players better for each of the positions). Hes not a striker (and not a false nine type if we had a striker crisis)

Is he a number 10? But then Bruno would do better there anyway. And you would think VDB would get a chance if hes fit instead.

SO is he just used because hes here?

Let's face it, we'd be way better off just selling him and signing a player that fits or that has an actual position we can easily identify instead of all these questions and hopes surrounding Sancho.

We have better players on the left and right (id say two players better for each of the positions). Hes not a striker (and not a false nine type if we had a striker crisis)

Is he a number 10? But then Bruno would do better there anyway. And you would think VDB would get a chance if hes fit instead.

He's a left wing or can play as both a left or right sided 10 either in a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-4-2-1. If you can somehow get him back to his Dortmund form, I don't think you have a better attacking player than him and would genuinely consider playing Rashford as a striker.

Still think it would be best for all parties to accept it didn't work out, close the chapter and move on.

He's a left wing or can play as both a left or right sided 10 either in a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-4-2-1. If you can somehow get him back to his Dortmund form, I don't think you have a better attacking player than him and would genuinely consider playing Rashford as a striker.

Still think it would be best for all parties to accept it didn't work out, close the chapter and move on.

Rashford as a striker full time is a generally terrible idea. Can fill in there handily enough, but can't be relied upon in the #9.

Rashford as a striker full time is a generally terrible idea. Can fill in there handily enough, but can't be relied upon in the #9.

Then you should get rid of Sancho as I doubt you'd want to get rid of Rashford after the season he's had or even Bruno.

Then you should get rid of Sancho as I doubt you'd want to get rid of Rashford after the season he's had or even Bruno.

Sancho would be 100% out of the door if it was anything to do with me.

Left wing, I think Rashford and Garnacho are better suited for us.
on the right, Antony and probably Amad will end up better long term. Sancho is a weird one as he doesnt tend to take on players whilst with us, nor does he put in amazing crosses. I dont see him as a wide man. He seems to do better around the box with one-twos and quick passing especially in tight areas.

Probably. Feels like he was signed to be a RW by Ole. I can see why given he did play there a lot, and successfully, at Dortmund.

Like with many signings under Ole it was incredibly short sighted though. Did they not even consider why he'd done well for Dortmund? Playing him RW when you're RB is AWB was terrible team building.

Now he's constantly being played as a square peg in a round hole.

I don't think there is a strong case that Antony is better than Sancho. What I believe happens now is that since we signed Mount, maybe Antony energy/work rate will not be needed as much as last season (he was often the 3rd midfielder). Sancho is still more likely to produce a goal/assist than Antony.

I think it's very likely that he will end up as a stop gap everywhere across LW/#10/RW, what wouldn't be the worst outcome. He still needs to up his game and basically be more brave because he doesn't seem like he's enjoying the challenges coming his way.

Sancho would be 100% out of the door if it was anything to do with me.
Probably his last season here anyway if he can't turn things around. But then the question is who would be daft enough to pay him 350k a week. Saudi league maybe?

Probably his last season here anyway if he can't turn things around. But then the question is who would be daft enough to pay him 350k a week. Saudi league maybe?

Like we'll end up doing with Maguire, we'll have to swallow some of the wages once he goes.

Sancho hasn't been great, but man it was fun to see him trap the ball with his head, put it into his feet and play a pass into the area against Lyon.

I feel like inverted wingers shooting on their strongest foot are a bit out of date soon.

Sancho playing RW like Valencia could be really useful at surprising the opposition.

I don't think there is a strong case that Antony is better than Sancho. What I believe happens now is that since we signed Mount, maybe Antony energy/work rate will not be needed as much as last season (he was often the 3rd midfielder). Sancho is still more likely to produce a goal/assist than Antony.

I think it's very likely that he will end up as a stop gap everywhere across LW/#10/RW, what wouldn't be the worst outcome. He still needs to up his game and basically be more brave because he doesn't seem like he's enjoying the challenges coming his way.
Id say for ETH, that would be the case as he was ETHs ask rather than Sancho.
Sancho got 7 from 41, and Antony got 8 from 44 games last season. Assuming Sancho got the better assists though, but you would say Antony has a year less with United too.
I cant see SAncho being picked or preferred over Antony for the right side

Id say for ETH, that would be the case as he was ETHs ask rather than Sancho.
Sancho got 7 from 41, and Antony got 8 from 44 games last season. Assuming Sancho got the better assists though, but you would say Antony has a year less with United too.
I cant see SAncho being picked or preferred over Antony for the right side
At the beginning I think ETH considered Sancho as LW. He was very reluctant to play him on the right until the latter stages of the season. Sancho being completely low on confidence was still able to get better numbers than Antony who played RW regularly (I do think he adapted very well to the league).

Like I said, this is very open fight between Sancho and Antony, my eye test&data tells me Sancho is more dangerous than Antony and makes much better choices when presented with a chance to shoot/create a chance. Antony on the other hand plays more like a supporting midfielder, but very little threat unless you let him shoot 25x a game.

Probably. Feels like he was signed to be a RW by Ole. I can see why given he did play there a lot, and successfully, at Dortmund.

Like with many signings under Ole it was incredibly short sighted though. Did they not even consider why he'd done well for Dortmund? Playing him RW when you're RB is AWB was terrible team building.

Now he's constantly being played as a square peg in a round hole.

I think it was clear that he was never a RW but I don't want to start this discussion again. Anyway, I still agree with you in principle. The club had no clue what kind of player they signed. Sancho is an excellent dribbler in dense areas of the pitch where he can work with body feints, turns and one twos. He's also great at finding players between the lines with incisive passing and quick flicks. What he's never been is a player who goes into one on ones with his fullback, bursts past him and then shoots or crosses but it seems that's how the club/coach expected him to play.

Now that there's finally a coach who could be excellent for Sancho (and who got much out of similar players, such as Tadic) he's playing very timid as it seems his confidence is shot and his strongest positions are occupied by in form club icons. It's really a shame as to me it seems as if football has been robbed of one of its most exciting prospects. In his Dortmund days, there were very few players I'd rather watch than Sancho.

At the beginning I think ETH considered Sancho as LW. He was very reluctant to play him on the right until the latter stages of the season. Sancho being completely low on confidence was still able to get better numbers than Antony who played RW regularly (I do think he adapted very well to the league).

Like I said, this is very open fight between Sancho and Antony, my eye test&data tells me Sancho is more dangerous than Antony and makes much better choices when presented with a chance to shoot/create a chance. Antony on the other hand plays more like a supporting midfielder, but very little threat unless you let him shoot 25x a game.

Hopefully, and that would be a benefit to United if they are both trying to impress and succeeding.

Hopefully, and that would be a benefit to United if they are both trying to impress and succeeding.
One thing you can't deny Antony is he is a fighter. Sometimes maybe goes a bit extreme to the other side, but he will get up and keep running. Sancho weak mentality/willingness to avoid physical part of the game is a worry, I have no idea if there's something anyone can do about it.

One thing you can't deny Antony is he is a fighter. Sometimes maybe goes a bit extreme to the other side, but he will get up and keep running. Sancho weak mentality/willingness to avoid physical part of the game is a worry, I have no idea if there's something anyone can do about it.
Yeah from a tactical point of view Antony is better, he'll press and track back. I think he's to us like Pedro was to Barca. He's not the star man, but he contributes in ways that tactically can't be underestimated.
Sancho does the fancy stuff but he's only effective when the going is good like vs Chelsea. When its tough and you need fighters he's not your guy. If ever united becomes so dominant then he'll be the icing on the cake, for now he's too much of a luxury.

Yeah from a tactical point of view Antony is better, he'll press and track back. I think he's to us like Pedro was to Barca. He's not the star man, but he contributes in ways that tactically can't be underestimated.
Sancho does the fancy stuff but he's only effective when the going is good like vs Chelsea. When its tough and you need fighters he's not your guy. If ever united becomes so dominant then he'll be the icing on the cake, for now he's too much of a luxury.
I would agree with this approach. I think against top teams Antony starts most of the time, but against weaker teams/home games Sancho is the guy that potentially brings more value.
Neither is a world beater but we should be fine. I also believe our right wing gets much more space on the pitch as our most dangerous players naturally drift/start from the left.

Thought I was going crazy and misremembering the match as during it I thought he looked sharp. Definitely wasn't wrong. People are weird. He held it up well, showed quick feet, played good passes... Twice he over complicated it but aside from that I thought he did well and this video of his touches definitely supports that.

Thought I was going crazy and misremembering the match as during it I thought he looked sharp. Definitely wasn't wrong. People are weird. He held it up well, showed quick feet, played good passes... Twice he over complicated it but aside from that I thought he did well and this video of his touches definitely supports that.

That is bang average. Fine for some inexperienced young kid, but not good enough for a player you paid top money for and are paying huge wages. He has been here for two seasons, if he can't show improvement this season then he will likely be sold.

Also, the bigger issue has always been his lack of physicality, he still shows that hesitation when trying to put challenges or closing players down. I doubt that will be changing and if he was putting Dortmund numbers, it could be accepted, but he is not doing that either.

Definitely looked better and hungrier but my issue is he is still releasing the ball a bit late for my liking, like he is overthinking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.