Jack Grealish | Euro 2020/1

Neither did Grealish let's be honest.
How would you describe the season before last? Villa survived by a hairs length and Grealish was easily their best and most influential player.

Seems to me that this thread is full of people ‘fighting back’ about the current narratives and finding reasons to criticise Grealish. He’s a top quality player.

How would you describe the season before last? Villa survived by a hairs length and Grealish was easily their best and most influential player.
14 goal contributions (goals+assists), of which 5 came in games that they lost, isn't really "single handedly keeping them up".

Sure, he may well have been their best and most influential players as you said, but let's not put on him on a pedestal that he doesn't yet deserve.

He's completely different level to Helb but he needs to leave Villa and go to City where he'll learn the tactical side of the game better.
it’s strange you mention Helb. Just the other day I was saying Grealish reminds me of Helb. Between 2007-09, Helb was touching world class. All went down hill after his move to Barcalona. Think Utd were linked to him at the time.

14 goal contributions (goals+assists), of which 5 came in games that they lost, isn't really "single handedly keeping them up".

Sure, he may well have been their best and most influential players as you said, but let's not put on him on a pedestal that he doesn't yet deserve.
I just think he was one of their only top quality players. Without him they go down so it’s semantics but that post wasn’t really wrong.

You can't do football just on stats.
If you watched Villa regularly you would see the incredible influence he has.

Their form dropped off a cliff without him this season.

For people wondering why he is so highly rated:

Grealish - of players who have played at least 10 games in the Premier League

- Key Passes per 90 (2nd) - 3.3 (De Bruyne first with 3.6)
- Assists per 90 (Joint 2nd) - 0.4 (De Bruyne first with 0.5)
- Assists Total (4th) - 10

And he does all that for Aston Villa. Most of the players at the top of those lists are at the top clubs.

It is weird trying to downgrade him when he has an assist rate of 1.3 per 90 in this tournament (the best rate in the England team). Shaw is second with 0.6.

He will create more if he played more. The low minutes are holding him back.

Article in The Athletic about him, Southgate and why he isn’t in the team to the bafflement of his cult members.

Key points are:

1. defensive work off the ball, he doesn’t press hard enough and makes the wrong decision in the defensive phase too often
2. Southgate doesn’t really think that he’s better than the other options in Sterling, Rashford and Sancho
3. Southgate has his favourite players which includes Sterling who plays in what Southgate sees as Grealish’s best position on the left
4. Grealish sees himself as a 10 and Southgate doesn’t
5. Grealish had a poor relationship with Andy Boothroyd in the u21s, article speculates that Boothroyd was negative to Southgate in his assessment of Jack from the start
6. Grealish is in a gang of football friends that call themselves ‘the Avengers’ it includes James Maddison, John McGinn, Chilwell and a few others. They like to party.
7. His runs with the law recently
Points 5 and 6 seem super petty. Also I think Southgate has softened on his stance re: point 2. He's clearly now ahead of Rashford and Sancho in the pecking order and is usually the first off the bench when Southgate wants to change the game. Points 3 and 4 are fair enough.

I don't think there is a single Villa fan, or anybody associated with the club that has any doubt we would have went down without Grealish. For one, he scored the goal that kept us up, but beyond that, we might have finished lower than Norwich without him in all honesty.

You can't do football just on stats.

That's the obsession around here. No one actually looks at the game - how many times Grealish released the fullback who gave an assist, or if he beat two players to create a through ball which resulted in a goal.
It's all only about the number of goals and assists on the caf.

@MDFC Manager is taking the stats game to a new level now by excluding the number of assists/goals in games Villa lost.

He's class but he should have never signed a new contract. Villa wont let him go for less than 90 or something ridiculous. Same as Rice

That's the obsession around here. No one actually looks at the game - how many times Grealish released the fullback who gave an assist, or if he beat two players to create a through ball which resulted in a goal.

@MDFC Manager is taking the stats game to a new level now by excluding the number of assists/goals in games Villa lost.
So how much assists does the FB behind him have?

I think people's thoughts on Grealish are split in two distinct camps.

Those who actually watch him regularly for Villa and those who don't.

If Watkins et al actually had any semblance of finishing ability, Grealish would be on triple figures for assists :lol:

You can actually quantify most of these points in stats

https://fbref.com/en/players/b0b4fd3e/scout/365_euro/Jack-Grealish-Scouting-Report

He's elite when it comes to the things you said, perhaps some people don't realise that. Fair enough. Off the ball though he isn't good enough. Especially in international football these days where games are so marginal this is as important as all the stuff that he's great at. You can't afford to be having players in the 100th minute of extra time switching off. At Villa he's the king and the team is formed around him, at a higher level it's different.

Good point. I used to bang on about this back when he didn't have the crazy assist stats that he now does, but before that he was basically the king of the "hockey assist", or the assist to the assist so to speak. In the 2017/18 season in the Championship when he played as a pure #10, he perfected this, and his perfectly weighted and timed through balls to the wingers/fullbacks led to most of our goals. That season, Albert Adomah and Robert Snodgrass (our 2 wingers) had a combined 40 goal contributions. It isn't captured in the stats, but it is vitally important.

A good recent example of this is the pass to Shaw against Germany. Technically a pretty simple ball, but the timing of it (shifting the ball and feinting to shoot to attract the defender to give Shaw time to get into position) and the weight of it to allow Shaw to cross it first time to Kane were crucial. He didn't get an assist, but he was instrumental. That same game, Sterling was in that same situation 3 or 4 times (mostly in the first half) and he flubbed those passes each time, either holding onto it too long until the opening was gone, or not putting enough weight on it etc.

Wasted by Southgate. This was supposed to be his breakthrough tournament. It's a travesty he didn't play as much as he should have. Reminded me of how England wasted Scholes.

England have their own Ronaldinho. They don't start him and they don't even let him take a penalty. For shame. What a waste of a magical talent.

Well, my thread didn't work. One start this whole tournament. What a waste.

England have their own Ronaldinho. They don't start him and they don't even let him take a penalty. For shame. What a waste of a magical talent.

:wenger:

He's closer to Matt Le Tissier than Ronaldinho. He's good but he's not that good.

He definitely should've started/played much more than he did though. No disagreement there.

For all his prancing about and flamboyantly shit hair, Grealish doesn't actually have the sack to stand up and take penalties. He's been Villa's golden boy for years now and he's never taken one at the top level. Pretty likely he wussed out tonight as well.

Can't believe how little he was used. He was causing mayhem for the opposition every time he played. How is Mount getting in ahead of him? With Rice and Philips in the middle there's no excuse not to be playing Grealish.

For all his prancing about and flamboyantly shit hair, Grealish doesn't actually have the sack to stand up and take penalties. He's been Villa's golden boy for years now and he's never taken one at the top level. Pretty likely he wussed out tonight as well.
Looks like he will be that for the career. I just don't think he has mentality to step up.

Hopefully, he proves me wrong IF we sign him.

He needs to be playing at a higher level for calls for him to start games for England to have any credibility.
As of now, big fish...small pond.

Last edited:
Looks like he will be that for the career. I just don't think he has mentality to step up.

Hopefully, he proves me wrong IF we sign him.
What in god's name makes you say that? He's one of the bravest, most fearless players in the league.

What in god's name makes you say that? He's one of the bravest, most fearless players in the league.
He just gives me that vibe.

Being brave even if that is true has nothing to do with having the mentality to step up.

Brave when it comes to running at players and putting himself in situations where he can get fouled, but why hasn't he pushed for a move to a club that matches his talent, and why has he only taken one penalty in his career, for the Villa reserves? I get that he loves Villa, but he needs to be willing to take more responsibility and get out of his comfort zone in some way or another at some point during his career if he wants to do his talent justice.

I know Grealish likes the left but it was weird that when he came on Southgate had him play there, forcing Saka to play CAM where he has hardly ever played at senior level at all. Saka was having a poor game already and then forcing him into the middle while switching Sterling to the right seemed to just further disrupt the team, when Grealish could have just slotted into Mount’s position in the middle instead.

I know Grealish likes the left but it was weird that when he came on Southgate had him play there, forcing Saka to play CAM where he has hardly ever played at senior level at all. Saka was having a poor game already and then forcing him into the middle while switching Sterling to the right seemed to just further disrupt the team, when Grealish could have just slotted into Mount’s position in the middle instead.
I was truly puzzled by it too. Saka was shocking.

Brave when it comes to running at players and putting himself in situations where he can get fouled, but why hasn't he pushed for a move to a club that matches his talent, and why has he only taken one penalty in his career, for the Villa reserves? I get that he loves Villa, but he needs to be willing to take more responsibility and get out of his comfort zone in some way or another at some point during his career if he wants to do his talent justice.
Maybe just maybe no one has come for him? He tried to go to Spurs back in em days and they balked at the fee. Haven't seen clubs lining for him and now that a big club has signs are he'll leave. He can't sign himself. So because he doesn't like taking penalties he wont make it at a big club? What logic is that?
He just gives me that vibe.

Being brave even if that is true has nothing to do with having the mentality to step up.
Guess we'll just have to find out. It has everything to do with the mentality to step up. Its all about being confident and brave at the highest level. He's has those qualities in droves.

This coach is a genuine novice.