Is Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez the Premier League’s best ever front three

Rashford can't play striker.
Come to think of it, unless Greenwood could play striker, Garnacho's progress would've been blunted or we'd have one of these sitting rather unhappily on the bench.
In Ole's last season, he deployed Greenwood as a striker at the beginning matches (Before Ronaldo arrived) and it actually provided quite positive results. Rashford and Garnacho could swap positions on either wing to make our attacking plays more unpredictable.

Fair point. I do wonder if signing Berbatov was seen by Tevez as a vote of no confidence.

I do also wonder if Berbatov was actually bought because Fergie knew Ronaldo was leaving and he had planned a Berba, Rooney and Tevez front three going forward.
Nothing stops Fergie from communicating it clearly to Tevez if that was what he planned.

Rashford can't play striker.
Come to think of it, unless Greenwood could play striker, Garnacho's progress would've been blunted or we'd have one of these sitting rather unhappily on the bench.

Greenwood would likely have been the striker, meaning Garnacho could play on the right as he did for a lot of last season.

Probably, they were just awesome together, such a fluid attack all 3 would just go wherever and there was none of this he can only play on the left bullshit. Any forward player should be able to play across all 3 forward positions easily. Just a shame Tevez was a such a bellend and Ronaldo wanted Madrid.

If they had to stay together, Utd would have probably have won the couple of PL titles they missed out on and had a better chance of beating Barca in those CL finals.

Yorke and Cole for me.

Yes.

United also has the best front two in PL history.

I’m racking my brain trying to remember if you’ve ever at any point had the best lone striker in the league, but I don’t think so. Maybe Cantona?
Van Nistelrooy was a incredible. too bad his years at the club coincided with a period of rebuilding.

Yorke and Cole for me.
Agree.
Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez worked well for the 08 campaign but the following season the fluidity and aggression was severely lacking. Sure, fans may point in the direction of Berbatovs introduction but I think there were signs late in 08 that the combinations weren't really gelling.
Sure the irony being that Berbatov himself also found it hard to strike a consistent partnership with any of them.

When I look back at the two seasons with Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and then Berbatov, even with the ridiculous season from Ronaldo in 08, there's still a feeling of 'what could have been'.

I think, to some extent, it looked better on paper than what we were actually witnessing.
Personally, I think Ronaldo, Saha and Rooney had a better, seamless flow to it.

We could have had a lethal academy front 3 in Garnacho - Rashford - Greenwood if their heads were in the right place…
Greenwood was a massive talent who fecked up.
Rashford showed promise at the start of his career and for about 2-3 seasons but has serious attitude problem and Garnacho is overrated as feck in here, his end product is atrocious compared to minutes played. Kinda like a rich man's Dan James

I think so, yeah. The football we played that season was incredible.

It was a front four with Giggs. And it wasn't the best front four he played in.

No. The 2008 versions of these players wasn’t even close to their individual peaks though I’d say Ronaldo came closest.

It was still a fantastic trio that season. Ronaldo did the heavy lifting with goals, Rooney did everything but score (he still scored a decent amount) and Tevez was good but you knew he had more to offer but was really clutch that year.

It could have been the best by a mile if they stayed together for 4 seasons and weren’t interrupted by Berbatov. Imagine what they would have been like from 2010-2012.

The best unfortunately is Mane Salah Firmino. All peaked together and in their best year as a collective had the goals more evenly spread out.

I agree with this. They would've been something else in the early 2010s but Rooney's decline would've disrupted it around 2012/2013.

Tevez really wasn't that great for Utd, think his time at utd is extremely overrated for his individual level at the time.

He was a grafter and had some great moments, but his general play was often extremely untidy. He was a poor mans Rooney in many ways and he was far better for City than he ever was for Utd.

they were class obviously but I don’t think they worked as well as a three as mane, firmino and salah did

Some people don't seem to understand what best front three means. It doesn't mean best players playing together, it means best front 3 combined in terms of how they played together and complimented each other. Saying things like Firmino is the weak link in Liverpool's front three when he made the thing work because of his hold up play and work rate is such a dumb take.

Ronaldo - Rooney - Tevez for me is the best. Not just because all three were insanely good (ronaldo and rooney espeically) But the work rate of Tevez and Rooney in terms of pressing before gegen press was a thing was so great to watch. Salah - Mane - Firmino is a close second. Obviously i'm biased but the aforementioned had more creativity, flair and passing ability across the board for me. Some of their link up play as amazing and they were all three absolutely rapid on the counter.

Could have been but Tevez and Ronaldo gave their best years to our domestic and European rivals so feck them.

100% this. Tevez wasn’t even that good when he was at United. Averaged a goal every three games and often looked poor and disinterested. Especially once we signed Berbatov and he had to deal with squad rotation. Five league goals in his final season. No way is a striker with that sort of productivity part of the best ever PL front three.

If him and Ronaldo hadn’t wormed their way out to play for rivals long before their prime then the three of them would have been sensational together. But in reality, no chance.

Last edited:
Nothing stops Fergie from communicating it clearly to Tevez if that was what he planned.
There was a lot of talk about Tevez not feeling valued but he also turned down the pre-agreed contract towards the end of his loan spell and went to City for a bigger wage.
Which is totally fair enough, if he hadn't have done the Fergie RIP thing then it would be a case of our mistake but it puts him in a different light.
He was a much different player in his second year and Fergie put that down to having his head turned by City.

Yes. They were joy to watch.
Biggest Fergie's mistake ever is to not doing everything to keep them together.

What would City's be? Aguero Silva sane (did they all play at the say that time?)

They are, by quite a lot of distance, and I feel sorry, this hasn't worked out.

Berbatov
Ronaldo Tevez
Rooney
It would be magical.

Per minutes more though, and his overall game was a lot better than rvp.
Nah, Van Persie had better goals per minute too. Hard disagree on your assertion. Even more so when you claim he was considerably better.

Nah, Van Persie had better goals per minute too. Hard disagree on your assertion. Even more so when you claim he was considerably better.
Suarez wasn’t better than Van Persie in 12/13, but 13/14 Suarez was superior to any season Van Persie ever had, he was an absolute menace.
He almost took a terrible Liverpool side with an aging Gerrard to a title, he made Daniel Sturridge look like one of the best players in the league.

I don’t know why we never were in for him when Liverpool got him, he was already well known from the WC and Ajax, he was like Carloz Tevez but a better version, the Aguero season never happens if we had Suarez.

Suarez wasn’t better than Van Persie in 12/13, but 13/14 Suarez was superior to any season Van Persie ever had, he was an absolute menace.
He almost took a terrible Liverpool side with an aging Gerrard to a title, he made Daniel Sturridge look like one of the best players in the league.

I don’t know why we never were in for him when Liverpool got him, he was already well known from the WC and Ajax, he was like Carloz Tevez but a better version, the Aguero season never happens if we had Suarez.
Because he was already known as a diving, biting, stamping cnut at Ajax wasn't he and no other top club wanted to touch him