Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

If you abolish monarchy you'd just have a president with nearly the same expenditure. The president would always be some greasy boot licking politician anyways.

Does anyone seriously think the president as a new head of state would live like a pauper ? Some people are just delusional or too young.

The queen would have made a better pm than the current pm at the helm or the previous or the one before him, so much for the electorate being enlightened.

Not even Berlusconi to the power of Berlusconi would come out at the same level. If the monarchy would be abolished it would be decolonisation. Which is presumably the number one reason why it cannot be allowed to happen.

The one thing that’s kept me sane and my hope alive over these past few years of relentlessly right wing politics and a slide into quasi-fascism, is I always knew the Queen was there, like a sort of final Boss. Ready to hobble about with a vague air of disappointment and occasionally wear a sassy broach if things got too bad… God bless you m’am, we’d really be in trouble without you and your completely neutral vigilance.

Well given the size of the queues to just shuffle past her lying in state, and the expected crowds in London for the funeral, it seems to me that there's many British people still for the monarchy, although you wouldn't think so if you believed the people in this thread.

I think if you are for the monarchy or against it, a bit like religion, it's pretty crass to have a go at someone's views, especially around events like a funeral when emotions are raw.

Me personally, I don't have a strong view either way on the monarchy. But I understand that people will have their own reason for being pro monarchy. Perhaps they've been in the forces, perhaps they've been involved in some of the many charities involving the Royals, perhaps they've been recognised by the Royals for work in their own life etc.

By the same token, I understand why many think it's out of date and a bit archaic. People can still be respectful while having these views though.

so, now will those people mocking/abusing me for being annoyed about the postponement of two of our games, like to explain how possibly playing twice in 48 hours is a good thing...

so, now will those people mocking/abusing me for being annoyed about the postponement of two of our games, like to explain how possibly playing twice in 48 hours is a good thing...

All the article says is that Uefa would be willing to soften it's stance and allow games to be played when Champions League fixtures are on. It didn't say they definitely would, so I wouldnt fret too much yet.

It makes sense if there's no spare space before the World Cup to leave the games until after the World Cup, where domestic cup fixtures start coming into play. This is because there's potential for space to open up in the event of exits from cup competitions.

All the article says is that Uefa would be willing to soften it's stance and allow games to be played when Champions League fixtures are on. It didn't say they definitely would, so I wouldnt fret too much yet.

It makes sense if there's no spare space before the World Cup to leave the games until after the World Cup, where domestic cup fixtures start coming into play. This is because there's potential for space to open up in the event of exits from cup competitions.
That would make more sense and does help soften my stance... that said, of course, we should be looking to win the FA Cup (I'd happily give opponents a by in whatever stupid name the League Cup has this week). Most certainly wouldn't want to go out of the Europa, obviously

Well given the size of the queues to just shuffle past her lying in state, and the expected crowds in London for the funeral, it seems to me that there's many British people still for the monarchy, although you wouldn't think so if you believed the people in this thread.

I think if you are for the monarchy or against it, a bit like religion, it's pretty crass to have a go at someone's views, especially around events like a funeral when emotions are raw.

Me personally, I don't have a strong view either way on the monarchy. But I understand that people will have their own reason for being pro monarchy. Perhaps they've been in the forces, perhaps they've been involved in some of the many charities involving the Royals, perhaps they've been recognised by the Royals for work in their own life etc.

By the same token, I understand why many think it's out of date and a bit archaic. People can still be respectful while having these views though.
Most people aren't as lefty as this site... open doors immigration, pick your gender, centre right=nazi, progressive melts. Some have pride in our country, traditions and identity. Those of you telling them to wash it away can continue to look forward to decades of political irrelevance. The country isn't with you.

That would make more sense and does help soften my stance... that said, of course, we should be looking to win the FA Cup (I'd happily give opponents a by in whatever stupid name the League Cup has this week). Most certainly wouldn't want to go out of the Europa, obviously

Yeah, you are gambling a bit that way hoping that sides involved don't go on deep runs, but it does give you a chance at least of free dates that might not have been available first half of the season.

Obviously the deeper you go in competitions the more critical it can become. I remember Rangers having to play 5 games in 10 days in 2008 because they made the Europa League and Scottish Cup finals, and Celtic put pressure on the SPL not to extend the season. They ended up extending it by 4 days. They played

Wed 14th - Europa League Final
Sat 17th - Motherwell (A)
Mon 19th - St Mirren (A)
Thu 22nd - Aberdeen (A)
Sat 24th - Scottish Cup Final

Rangers drew with Motherwell, beat St Mirren and lost against Aberdeen and Celtic won the league by 3 points.

People are just so partisan and treat people they disagree with as untermensch.

Why can't you just accept some people care about the monarchy, others may not without resorting to calling them names or treating them as stupid or evil?

…. open doors immigration, pick your gender, centre right=nazi, progressive melts. Some have pride in our country, traditions and identity. Those of you telling them to wash it away can continue to look forward to decades of political irrelevance. The country isn't with you.

Uh huh

Most people aren't as lefty as this site... open doors immigration, pick your gender, centre right=nazi, progressive melts. Some have pride in our country, traditions and identity. Those of you telling them to wash it away can continue to look forward to decades of political irrelevance. The country isn't with you.

hear here. i bet most of these so called posters couldn’t even point are country out on the map. they conveniently forget that it was great britain that invented a lot of what they hold dear today. the gramophone, the trouser press, the wireless. all this was done under a monarchy and a conservative rule. they simply wouldn’t have come to fruition in a lefty world.

the liberal french wanted to abolish the four seasons entirely in the 1500s as it made us think differently about different months of the year. madness. though i was on board with losing spring, the most poofy of seasons. respect are country and if you don’t like it then leave this forum.

Alright Yaxley, calm down.

hear here. i bet most of these so called posters couldn’t even point are country out on the map. they conveniently forget that it was great britain that invented a lot of what they hold dear today. the gramophone, the trouser press, the wireless. all this was done under a monarchy and a conservative rule. they simply wouldn’t have come to fruition in a lefty world.

the liberal french wanted to abolish the four seasons entirely in the 1500s as it made us think differently about different months of the year. madness. though i was on board with losing spring, the most poofy of seasons. respect are country and if you don’t like it then leave this forum.

I know that you are joking but I feel the need to make that point clear, France and french aren't liberal at least not in the way anglophones interpret it. It's a very conservative society, in fact I believe that it also applies to italians and spanish.

People were more mocking your ranting about it and seeing United v Leeds as the same pricing headache as Brentford v Arse.

It's just pointless getting angry about, given we just have to live with it. You just have to hope rival teams are equally fecked over by it.

The prospect of more rearranged midweek games is really annoying for me cos I can't watch any of them due to the time difference.

Wind your neck in Nigel.

Why are the people rightfully mocking you going to think it's a good idea? None of us are cheering on the cancellations and celebrating it, we're just pointing out the painfully obvious stuff you simply don't seem able to grasp.

I like watching football. Two games in 3 days would be awesome.

If the managers think they can't pick the same 11 for both, it's a good thing they have a squad of 25 odd players.

:lol: :lol:

We should play Leeds in a week we play Omonia or Sheriff. Surely our fringe players as well as maybe a handful of our more fitter players can manage to beat one of those two 2 days later.

:lol:

Those wanting to abolish the monarchy can look forward to people like Trump been elected. A god, king and policy maker all rolled into one.

I’d much rather have a system built on tradition and an idea of togetherness than one based on division. The monarchy for all its faults brings people together.

As if the Tories are not as reprehensible as Trump.
Maybe they're better looking, that's all I'll give them.

I suggest you try to be less condescending - I don't need to read up on anything legal or historical, thank you. Maybe you missed my point again - I'm saying it is pathetic that we don't have enough police to do a job two days running. I am saying if some games are postponed maybe all should be. No allegations of conspiracy, which, you seem to have dreamt up.

I am saying, people paid for trips and made arrangements and because of inefficiencies are being punished. Not to mention, as a supporter of this club, there are no extra pressures to fulfil fixtures. If you think the PL will be helpful when it comes to re-arranging the game, maybe it's you who needs a history lesson. maybe you should check how many games we have in the next few weeks: 13 games between the beginning of next month and the end of November. That includes what is likely to be a crunch tie in Spain. Then the WC and straight back in on Boxing Day. That's twice a week every week.

But yes, we were told it would be impossible for games to go ahead in London and that there weren't enough Met Police so officers were being drafted in from elsewhere. And yet a London game goes ahead. And please don't tell me the Brentford game means less to Arsenal fans (or Brentford's) the game does to us.

If you don't think it's a scandal that the Met Police can't cope, well there's very little else to be said
This.

A crazy situation to have no premier league game in an entire month.

The England games should have been cancelled and Premier league games moved back slightly into this space.

We are beyond xucked after Xmas with fixture pile ups.

A crazy situation to have no premier league game in an entire month.

The England games should have been cancelled and Premier league games moved back slightly into this space.

We are beyond xucked after Xmas with fixture pile ups.

Most of the players aren't English though.

What should have happened was to not cancel the first weekend and for the second weekend move United's match with Sheriff to the Wednesday and played the Chelsea and United matches on the Saturday.

Too simple.

Most of the players aren't English though.

What should have happened was to not cancel the first weekend and for the second weekend move United's match with Sheriff to the Wednesday and played the Chelsea and United matches on the Saturday.

Too simple.
Yep, none of this nonsense was inevitable

What about all the fans that planned to travel abroad to see United this weekend, the money they are out, some notice. The premier league completely melted, where's the respect for fans. Mass Hysterica on a different level. Such a joke.

I really don't understand why we couldn't have arranged to play Palace tomorrow. We had more than a week of planning. Even if not in London, we could have just organised the return fixture.

Dumat12 is that you?

I think it's more of paying their respects to a person who has been symbolic and constant for majority of the living population in the country, than the monarchy alone.

Dumat12 is that you?

Yet he’s correct. The majority of views regularly expressed on this site are not representative of the wider UK population.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but yes, Redcafe is hardly a microcosm the for the country as a whole.

Well some of us such as myself had immense pride, admiration and respect for the Queen and continue to do so for the monarchy at large. I have just arrived home from a trip to London including a 11 hour wait to pay my respects. I was in the same queue as David Beckham albeit I never saw him. Football at the moment couldn’t be further away from my thoughts. I can’t believe some on here are still moaning about missing 2 premier league games but each to their own.

Yet he’s correct. The majority of views regularly expressed on this site are not representative of the wider UK population.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but yes, Redcafe is hardly a microcosm the for the country as a whole.
My comment was more so referring to his views

Well some of us such as myself had immense pride, admiration and respect for the Queen and continue to do so for the monarchy at large. I have just arrived home from a trip to London including a 11 hour wait to pay my respects. I was in the same queue as David Beckham albeit I never saw him. Football at the moment couldn’t be further away from my thoughts. I can’t believe some on here are still moaning about missing 2 premier league games but each to their own.

If football is so far away from your thoughts why are you currently on a football forum.

Still the mental gymnasts have still not managed to get the point.

If football is so far away from your thoughts why are you currently on a football forum.

Still the mental gymnasts have still not managed to get the point.
I’m talking about my desire (or need) to watch a game of football before the funeral. I wasn’t aware I couldn’t talk about it.

I’m talking about my desire (or need) to watch a game of football before the funeral. I wasn’t aware I couldn’t talk about it.

I quoted what you said - ??
There are 7 games of PL matches this weekend - people can watch PL football.
Two matches are cancelled unnecessarily this weekend and 10 last weekend because the country is run by idiots for idiots.
If you don't want to watch, don't watch, it's not compulsory.

I quoted what you said - ??
There are 7 games of PL matches this weekend - people can watch PL football.
Two matches are cancelled unnecessarily this weekend and 10 last weekend because the country is run by idiots for idiots.
If you don't want to watch, don't watch, it's not compulsory.
Lie down mate. It’s really not worth getting angry over. Thought about emigrating?

That's assuming everyone's there to pay their respects. Some may go there just to be able to say they was there, or if they're Irish; to make sure she's dead.