Is Dominic Solanke the most underrated player in the Premier League?

Great signings for spurs. They need a marquee signing for a striker since Son is getting old and Kane is long gone.

We paid £64m rising to £72m for a kid that had scored 10 goals in the previous season and people were singing his praises. Solanke scored 21 goals in the prem last season. I really don't think anyone would have been losing their minds.

He scored 21 overall and 19 in the Prem.

Think he suits Postecoglu's style pretty well, he seems happy to put in the yards and embodies that press from the front tactic. A bit more of a presence up front than Son who's back to goal play leaves a lot to be desired. Should help out in a defensive capacity as well when defending corners which Spurs struggled with last season.

Interesting they went for him over say Toney or Watkins.

Insane price, but he is a good striker. Lot of laughs when Liverpool sold him for 20m.
Let's hope they didn't have a sell on clause.
Liverpool get 20% of any profit made on him, so what, roughly £9m made. Not too shabby.

How the hell people rate this guy? One good season in his entire career and now he’s a very good striker and a very good signing for Spurs for 65 fecking million? Absolute bang average striker who punched above his weight last season. Bournemouth should be laughing all the way to the bank after getting 65m. Absolutely rinsed Spurs. No doubt in my mind that he’ll be a flop. Quote me on that.

How the hell people rate this guy? One good season in his entire career and now he’s a very good striker and a very good signing for Spurs for 65 fecking million? Absolute bang average striker who punched above his weight last season. Bournemouth should be laughing all the way to the bank after getting 65m. Absolutely rinsed Spurs. No doubt in my mind that he’ll be a flop. Quote me on that.

He's not as bad as you are making out, sure if you are comparing him to a Kane, Mbappe or Haaland, yeah he is not anywhere near those guys. And just about any striker you pick against those guys will look bang average. But in that next group of strikers below the Haalands of the world, he is good.

He should be compared with the likes of the Toney's and Watkins of the world, not the Mbappe's and Kane's. His main competition at Spurs is Richarlison for game time, Is he better than Richarlison?

I don't really have much of an opinion on him either way but the remit for a Postecoglou striker is pretty basic. All he wants from them is to press from the front(Solanke ranks very highly in this regard) and to be in the right area for cut backs/crosses - again his goals are highly concentrated in and around the penalty spot. Solanke also offers some physical presence and ability to hold up the ball which is a bonus but all the other stuff like linking play, creating chances, dribbling past players etc Ange doesn't really care for in that position.

Johnathan Norcroft (The Times), thinks he's the ideal centre forward for Ange football and will be a huge success.

He's not as bad as you are making out, sure if you are comparing him to a Kane, Mbappe or Haaland, yeah he is not anywhere near those guys. And just about any striker you pick against those guys will look bang average. But in that next group of strikers below the Haalands of the world, he is good.

He should be compared with the likes of the Toney's and Watkins of the world, not the Mbappe's and Kane's. His main competition at Spurs is Richarlison for game time, Is he better than Richarlison?
He’s as bad as I’m making him out to be. He’s nowhere near the quality of Watkins and though personally not a fan of Toney I do rate him higher than Solanke. I consider solanke amongst the likes of Calvert lewin and Bamford. Last season was a flash in the pan for him.

Johnathan Norcroft (The Times), thinks he's the ideal centre forward for Ange football and will be a huge success.
Jonathan’s opinion not gonna sway mine. I don’t see even decent striker qualities in him forget about £65m level and top 4 level. Let’s see how it pans out as I’m sure he’s gonna go back to his usual mediocre self.

S
Sorry to quote you again but to answer your question No, he isn’t better than Richarlison maybe slightly better as a striker as I don’t think Richarlison is a pure no. 9 but as a footballer Richarlison is streets ahead of Solanke.

Liverpool get 20% of any profit made on him, so what, roughly £9m made. Not too shabby.
When he went to Liverpool from Chelsea the fee/ compensation was set by tribunal. Chelsea wanted far more than Liverpool wanted to pay £3 million with a rumoured 20% of future transfer profit.

That % kicked on when he went to Bournemouth but unless the original tribunal settlement included a time limit ( very unlikely )then Chelsea’s % will still be in place

He’s definitely flown under the radar, but his recent performances are hard to ignore. He’s grown physically and technically, and his speed and pressing stats are top-notch.

When he went to Liverpool from Chelsea the fee/ compensation was set by tribunal. Chelsea wanted far more than Liverpool wanted to pay £3 million with a rumoured 20% of future transfer profit.

That % kicked on when he went to Bournemouth but unless the original tribunal settlement included a time limit ( very unlikely )then Chelsea’s % will still be in place

I can't recall ever hearing a scenario where a club could claim a percentage of a move 2 transfers down the line.

Chelsea's interest will have ended once he moved on to Bournemouth.

I can't recall ever hearing a scenario where a club could claim a percentage of a move 2 transfers down the line.

Chelsea's interest will have ended once he moved on to Bournemouth.
Not correct .

The wording almost certainly would be that should Liver get additional money from Bournemouth they Chelsea’s would get a share of that additional sum.

There was a test case many years ago in non league when Graham Robert’s was sold by Dorchester to Weymouth for £6k. Weymouth sold Robert’s to Spurs for £35k and part of that fee was paid to Dorchester,

When Robert’s was sold by Spurs to Rangers Weymouth received 10% ish of the profit £415k . Weymouth ended up making £80k in total

They Weymouth didn’t think Dorchester were entitled to any of the subsequent profit but Weymouth eventually ended up being ruled against and had to stump up additional sums to Dorchester

Meh.

Their rates of goal returns were much of a muchness last season. Hojlund returned at a rate of 0.42 goals per 90, Solanke at a rate of 0.46. Both for teams that created similar amounts (56.5xG versus 55.9xG).

The key difference in their goal tallies (aside from Solanke taking a couple of penalties) was just minutes, with Solanke getting an extra 1,167 minutes in the league. Basically the equivalent of 13 full extra games.

Which is fine, as availability is a great ability. But against that, it was Hojlund's first year in the PL and he's over 5 years younger. And it's not like Solanke is particularly brilliant in general play either.

If Solanke is better now, it's only marginally. And Hojlund has way more upside to grow in the extra half a decade he has on Solanke.
Thanks for this post.

The negative comparisons of Razzmatazz were making my monobrow unfurl.

Any chance to have a dig for some - quite bizarre.

Be a good signing for Spurs if he can build on his first decent prem season last year.

Thinking about this, I don't even think he is even the most underrated striker. That accolade goes to Chris Wood.