IPL 2024

zing

Zingle balls
Best game of the tournament. Class game.

Huge 2 points for srh.
I think that's a huge 2 points in context of the tournament. I don't think that any team can now qualify with 14 with so many teams on 12.

Even CSK who are 5th, need 3 wins out of 4 to get to 16. IMO the top 4 today will be the same after the league stage is done.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Do you watch a fair bit of T20? You seem quite informed about T20 performances across leagues
I watch a lot of cricket full stop really, although since the preponderence these days is T20, then by default I suppose I watch a lot of that. My favourite is test cricket. Still can't beat a good Ashes series, although India vs Australia has had some really good series in the last few years as well.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
KKR falling apart here, albeit still a good run rate but 4 wickets down already. Don’t think they feel like playing here. Mostly been reckless shots gifting their wickets.

zing

Zingle balls
KKR falling apart here, albeit still a good run rate but 4 wickets down already. Don’t think they feel like playing here. Mostly been reckless shots gifting their wickets.
I saw the initial bit.. 5 down and Manish Pandey, Venky Iyer at the crease.. with Russell to come

Stacked with all rounders

Good recovery till now

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I saw the initial bit.. 5 down and Manish Pandey, Venky Iyer at the crease.. with Russell to come

Stacked with all rounders

Good recovery till now
Yeah was a really good recovery and then another brain fart runout of Russ and they might fall a good 20-30 runs short here (of where they could’ve been).

zing

Zingle balls
@zing and now it seems like an almighty collapse from the MI incoming. There’s still hope with SKY there, but he’s running out of partners.
Yea they can do it. It’s not many runs. I think it’s done though. One each from Varun and Narine.

zing

Zingle balls
12 of the Indian squad will leave for the WC after the league stage..

zing

Zingle balls
You don't think CSK will make the playoffs?
I give it like a 30% chance that they go through. I think CSK are a team that relies heavily on winning at Chepauk. 3 of 4 games are away. They’re relatively easier fixtures though.

KKR are through with that net run rate. SRH and Lucknow play each other. Loser of that needs to lose 2 more because I think Chennai will end up on 14. Feels unlikely to me.

what do you think?

Boycott

I went from being an IPL sceptic in the early years to an avid fan in the mid to late 2010s. In fact I'll stretch it to enjoying the first normal season post Covid. I liked how teams like CSK maintained a core group of players in creating a dynasty and how the standard of domestic young players grew so much that they could outdo foreign players and have a pathway to the national team. Even if it means there aren't many stories of guys middling around obscure in domestic cricket for years managing to get 15 minutes of fame anymore (Kings Eleven Punjab had an opener who never played for India but was reliable in the early seasons iirc).

But this season I have been very bored up until the last few games. To be fair maybe I have chosen the wrong matches to watch but it seems like there is more drama off the field and attempts to make the media as part of the game itself. The commentary always was a bit cringe with DLF Maximums and Carbon Kumal catch but you could play with that. This season feels orchestrated drama to make up for a lack of entertainment on the field and cooking rivalries among Indian national team players which as a non-Indian gets a bit grating but I imagine even the Indian fans feel tired. As well as this when did coaches get so much coverage in this sport? Great bowlers have been getting carted, too many high scores, the fielding which really reached spectacular levels for a few years once again now looks like the early seasons of old players just playing for the money.

I hope next season there is some change. For starters I think there are some IPL veterans who are getting picked on name value now that drags the standard down but can't be dropped.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Do you have teams you support?
I’m closer to a fair weather fan then I am to an actual supporter of any one team. If I had to say - I’ve always liked CSK (mostly because of Dhoni & a few other players they’ve had over the years). Actually started off “supporting” the Deccan Chargers (if you remember them :drool:).

I sort of liked RCB - if mainly because of Gayle and their destructive batting power. Liking this iteration of the Sunrisers too, for the same reason. For some reason, I’ve never really liked the KKR or MI. Very “neutral” about the rest.

Hahaha sorry if none of that makes any sense. :lol:

zing

Zingle balls
I’m closer to a fair weather fan then I am to an actual supporter of any one team. If I had to say - I’ve always liked CSK (mostly because of Dhoni & a few other players they’ve had over the years). Actually started off “supporting” the Deccan Chargers (if you remember them :drool:).

I sort of liked RCB - if mainly because of Gayle and their destructive batting power. Liking this iteration of the Sunrisers too, for the same reason. For some reason, I’ve never really liked the KKR or MI. Very “neutral” about the rest.

Hahaha sorry if none of that makes any sense. :lol:
You’re the Aaron Finch of fans.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
You’re the Aaron Finch of fans.
Hahaha! Let me backtrack a little and say I’ll identify as a CSK fan, first and foremost (especially after Deccan folded). And I have some admiration for a couple of other teams ;)

Ps I had no idea Finch played for so many IPL teams!!! I watch a little BBL as well, and I think it was Finch’s last season for the Renegades last year. He’s now completely retired.

Random note: Shaun Marsh I think came out of retirement (or something along those lines) and played a few games for them last year and was still in fairly decent knick.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Do you have teams you support?
I'm pretty much the same as @Ish to be honest. I tend to pull for teams that have players that I like and pull against teams that have players that I don't. This year i'm pulling for SRH because of Heinrich Klaasan. Ironic, really because for years i would always pull against them because i can't stand David Warner.

I've always had a soft spot for MI as well because I like Rohit. But this year I've been pulling against them because I feel Hardik stole the captaincy, so I hope they lose.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm pretty much the same as @Ish to be honest. I tend to pull for teams that have players that I like and pull against teams that have players that I don't. This year i'm pulling for SRH because of Heinrich Klaasan. Ironic, really because for years i would always pull against them because i can't stand David Warner.

I've always had a soft spot for MI as well because I like Rohit. But this year I've been pulling against them because I feel Hardik stole the captaincy, so I hope they lose.
Yeah, spot on. Very much in the same camp.