Introducing the new term du jour: Barclaysman

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/so...ague-social-media-trend-explained/ar-AA1qtbqA

What is a 'Barclaysman'?
The term 'Barclaysman' is used to describe a cult hero footballer who played in the Premier League between 2001 and 2016. The name derives from Barclays bank, which was the chief sponsor of the competition during that period, having taken over naming rights from Carling.

A 'Barclaysman' is not just any footballer from the period and, notably, it does not include Premier League superstars such as Cristiano Ronaldo or Thierry Henry. Rather, it is a term that is exclusively used to describe players whose impact, appearance, or essence influenced fan culture and encapsulated the era.

So who is the best Barclaysman?

Yakubu won the vote from the lot who started it, a fair shout

What a Worthington Cup of an opinion
Why? It sounded like we were looking for a player who has some kind of ineffable quality that ties them to the era, only that quality can't actually have too much to do with football.

Since I will probably remember Jimmy Bullard until the day I die without ever being able to pick out a match he played in, he's the obvious choice.

Also, Barclays are shit.

Why? It sounded like we were looking for a player who has some kind of ineffable quality that ties them to the era, only that quality can't actually have too much to do with football.

Since I will probably remember Jimmy Bullard until the day I die without ever being able to pick out a match he played in, he's the obvious choice.

Also, Barclays are shit.
It was just a joke, no need to get all UberEats Ligue 1

Football Cliches did a good ep on this a couple years back. They did a pure Barclays XI.

Also, Barclays are shit.
That one with the crap finger wagging telling the team off celebration, which ever it was. Cringe.

I was talking about this with friends the other day, and we all agreed football was just better at that period of time. No pass to death, boring shite, random players were far more likely to gain this sort of status as they had individual talents that could be used. Correct or just old man shouts at cloud sort of stuff?

I was talking about this with friends the other day, and we all agreed football was just better at that period of time. No pass to death, boring shite, random players were far more likely to gain this sort of status as they had individual talents that could be used. Correct or just old man shouts at cloud sort of stuff?
During the era we are discussing everyone a bit older assured us that the period preceding it was in fact far more enjoyable. As every generation does with the football they grew up with.

Who are the Carlingsmen

I’m saying Hamilton Ricard, Benito Carbone, Gerry Taggart

This is where Harry Redknapp shines.

We've already got Kranjcar. Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe gotta be in there, too.

The best team of cult legends has to be: (I don't think you can include serial winner like Cantona etc)

------------------------------------Kiraly (Jogging bottoms)----------------------------------
Delap--------------------------Melberg-----------------Bramble------------------Nobby Solano
--------------------------------Tugay--------------------------Campo-----------------------------
Bullard------------------------------------Okotcha-----------------------------------Gamst-Pederson
------------------------------------------------Vardy-----------------------------------------------

Subs:

Duncan Ferguson
Alan Smith (Utd) for me
Zola
Le Tissier
Di Canio
Mark Nobel
Tony Hibbert
Forlan
Eboue
Shawcross

That would be my squad of cult heroes.......... Question mark over if Vardy qualifies? If not then Forlan goes in for him and Adi Akinbiyi makes the bench.

Who are the Barclaysteams?

Blackburn and Boro for me. Those game raising cnuts' sole reason for existence were the two games against us. The moment we became shite both faded into obscurity as they had no purpose anymore.

Blackburn and Boro for me. Those game raising cnuts' sole reason for existence were the two games against us. The moment we became shite both faded into obscurity as they had no purpose anymore.
Bolton by a mile.

Portsmouth and Wigan, and Phil Browns Hull

When I think of these Barclaysmen I can only think of MOTD/The Premiership highlight GOATS.

I'm talking:

Laurent Robert
Matty Taylor
David Bentley
Amr Zaki
Nolberto Solano
Tugay
Morten Gamst Pedersen
Seb Larsson

Obviously these have been named across many platforms and in this thread, but surely they have to be more in line with the 'streets will never forget' criteria as opposed to just playing for anyone. Seen a lot of moron tiktokers sat there discussing Rooney and Ruud like it's new to know about them..

Correct.

----------------------Beattie---------------------
-----------------------Nolan----------------------
Downing--Savage--Reo-Coker--Dyer
Warnock--Bramble---Hyypia---Johnson
----------------------James---------------------

Big Sam's Bolton

Some question this, the list could be neverending but here's some of mine:

Peter Odemwingie
Demba Ba
Papiss Cisse
Shane Long
Kenwyne Jones
Charlie Adam
Leighton Baines
Yohan Cabaye
Mathieu Debuchy
Brad Friedel