If you're Ole in, how much time will you give him?

As long as we in the right direction. Once it turns sour like Van Gaal and Mourinho then its time to go. People shouldn't forget he wasn't exactly backed in the last summer window.

He deserves the season to see if he can make CL football again for Next season (unless the team completely free fall and he loses something crazy like the next 4 games)

Going out of CL is a blow (and what really cost us is the loss in Istanbul). But we weren't going to win it with our defence. Europa League however is going to badly affect us especially as Ole will take it seriously

It does seem like two steps forward, one back.

When Ole got here it was to be a three year journey to get back to challenging for the league.
Ownership has not provided the players that were wished for, holding back some team development.
I think Ole has the right ideas overall for the club, but may lack some tactical genius.
Give him to the end of the season. If the team continues to improve keep him.

If they run off the road and into a ditch, look what is around to replace him.
Do not return to 2 - 3 years of a manager, replace and start over again.
Make Ole the Director of Football and bring in a manager that is better tactically using the system started by Ole.

It is currently better than having to listen to Jose and not the borefest is was under VG.

Reactions: Sultan
Give him until the end of the season. If we’re actual contenders in the league and finish with a better points total than last season, I’d start next season with him as well.

Admire your patience and don't worry he will find a way to survive that long,convinced he has more lives than a cat

He deserves the season to see if he can make CL football again for Next season (unless the team completely free fall and he loses something crazy like the next 4 games)

Going out of CL is a blow (and what really cost us is the loss in Istanbul). But we weren't going to win it with our defence. Europa League however is going to badly affect us especially as Ole will take it seriously

It does seem like two steps forward, one back.

God another 5 months of him making strange tactical decisions is a really bitter pill to swallow but will happen as know how this board operates

I'm pretty Ole out and have been for the best part of a year, yet there's one thing he could to to make me inclined to give him till the end of the season: switch out his coaching staff. Carrick and McKenna are amateurs, Phelan is a dinosaur and already was under SAF. I only fear that won't happen, as it would require balls, which I have seen no indication of so far in regards to Ole.

Honestly, every manager post SAF gets loaded with these Fergie-guys with no pedigree whatsoever except they "get the club" or some shite like that. Moyes and Van Gaal got Giggsy, Jose got Carrick and now Ole, one of the aforementioned Fergie-guys himself, gets three others that are as clueless as him. How is that supposed to work?

Get some top guys from far outside the club to bring in fresh impulses, instead of trying to bring back the Fergie times, they're gone and won't come back, regardless of how many ex-players you try to squeeze into coaching roles.

That would make me give him more time, as it would show that he really tries something different, not only talk about it.
I still support Ole, but I agree with you on the assistant coaches. I would like to see a coach who could do something with this defense. I don't want a defensive minded manager, but an experienced defensive assistant would probably help our current situation. Many world class managers have relied on good assistants. Ferguson has, Jose has, etc. I don't think Ole has to carry the full load in coaching defensive tactics, and I'm not sure his current assistants are good enough to supplement Ole's deficiencies.

I’m not Ole in. But I don’t think he’s as bad or as clueless as people make out. On the contrary I think he’s been one of our best two managers for the long term development of the team since SAF left.

Van Gaal great coach and tactician but abysmal in transfer windows and didn’t have the players needed to implement his total football. Left us better than when he took over. But board ruined it by hiring Jose, probably should have given LVG an extra year and fully backed him in the transfer market.

Ole great in the window, well our best windows have been under him. Good man management of players but limited as a coach and tactician. If he leaves at the right time, we’ll be better than when he took over. Honestly, I think the right time was in the summer. Another manager could have built on the great work Ole has done and taken us to a level that is above Ole’s capability. Make no mistake Ole has done great work, with our young strikers, with our midfield, our squad is now very good. But needs a better coach to play at its full potential
I think you can argue it both ways.

1. Ole has done a great job lifting you out of the shite Jose had got you into, reducing the age of the squad while improving it dramatically at the same time, respectable league finish last season and despite a wobble at the beginning of this season it is respectable again. His transfers in and out, I think, have all improved the team and the squad are clearly behind him and at times you've played the best football you've seen since 2008. So on that basis you could argue to the end of the season at the very least.

2. But I think one of the mistakes many football clubs make is to change manager when the club is in the shit. You are on a (rocky) upward trajectory at the moment, I think you could argue that maybe this is the best time to change manager to try and get the team to step up a level. Your squad should be good enough to qualify from the group in the CL and is certainly good enough to be top 4 if not better. Now's a good time with a transfer window fast approaching. So there's an interesting argument for changing now.

But you need to think very carefully about the next manager if you do this. You don't want to do the Moyes-LvG-Jose style changes where the new manager has a completely different idea of how the game should be played, you've seen how that sort of disruption plays out on the pitch.

We all know the names being thrown around, Poch, Allegri, Hasenhuttl, Tuchel, Nagelsmann. But they all play a very different brand of football to Ole and apart from Hasenhuttl and Nagelsmann who have some similarities, they're all managers with different styles and though they all rated managers, I'm not sure who would be best for you right now. I think one advantage now is you have a group of players with very different talents and have not all been brought to fit into one system. le clearly wants to be able to play in a number of different ways, whereas Jose and LvG were very different in this respect. So maybe the change wouldn't be as disruptive as it has been previously.

The other way to look at it is to remember how far you have fallen since SAF left and then look tear on year for progress and compared to this time last year, your consistency is better, your squad is better, your league position is better, you made the CL this year etc the progress is clear and rebuilding to the top is a long process however much fans want it right now. I'm not sure what I would do if I was Ed, but my guess is Ole will stay and only go if CL football is impossible to get, which in my mind is the worst time to change managers!

Two very good, considerate and astute posts. Salut!

God another 5 months of him making strange tactical decisions is a really bitter pill to swallow but will happen as know how this board operates
Its weird, but when he was interim manager he mostly stuck with one style / formation and didn't play around. He also seemed more proactive with his sub's and timing of them

But since then he plays around so much before the game then waits a long time to change it

Forty days and nights. Send a snake after a couple of weeks to test his progress.

How long before we actually start demanding results? How is top 4 enough after two years and the players bought?

How can anyone call this progress when we struggle to reach the same goals we achieved before?

When will we actually start demanding titles? We've wasted enough time already, this "rebuild" has gone for 2 years now and we are in the same, if not worse place, that what we were.

Ole in guys repeat the "will leave the club in a bettee place than when he arrived" as some divine fact. Like its on your bible.

Lets see, we have now spent 130M on two players that cant defend shit when it matters, one failed youngster in James who is on a straight way to become deadwood, VDB who looks nothing but a squad player and Bruno who Ole should give 80% of his wages to because he has prevented this team to go straight to shit. We are about to lose Pogba and Martial is on one of his worst patches of his career.

Why should we trust he'll leave the club in a better place?
Stopped reading there. Labelling people Iners and Outers is quite childish to be honest. I try to at least hold myself to a bit of dignity. :rolleyes:

Ole has to win at least a cup this season and a top 4 finish or top 2 in the premier league if we don't win anything. Failing either one of this, I think we will see a new manager next season.

One of the only reasons I'm not Ole Out is because the structure at the club is rotten and swapping manager won't change that. Still, he's making some shocking decisions managing the club.

Exactly how I've been feeling until today. He makes poor decisions. On the weekend he made poor decisions and some how it ended up working for him. Today he made poor decision after poor decision from the starting line up, to the tactics, to waiting until half time to change his defensive set up, to poor subs. And his worst offense of all, playing Pogba. That POS should rot on the bench until he is sold...

How long before we actually start demanding results? How is top 4 enough after two years and the players bought?

How can anyone call this progress when we struggle to reach the same goals we achieved before?

When will we actually start demanding titles? We've wasted enough time already, this "rebuild" has gone for 2 years now and we are in the same, if not worse place, that what we were.
I suppose I have never seen the possibility of a major turn-around in just two years time. For my own part, I look at progress as having a longer arc than that. We were basically an upper mid-table club a few years back. Becoming a sure bet for the top four is therefore progress. Now, admittedly, I'm not 100% sure we are a sure bet at this point. The PL is extremely competitive these days, but we seem to be close to this level. From there I hope we make further progress and become a title contending team. I don't think we are there yet, nor did I expect it at this point honestly. I think many people think two years is enough time to turn the post-SAF MUFC mess around. Fans want us to go from upper mid-table to title in a year or two. I have never held this opinion. Therefore, I have a lot more tolerance for the ups and downs along the way.

For what it's worth in American sports, the general sentiment is that a coach should be given 3-4 years time to implement their system before it is deemed a success or failure. I think it's weird to think that 2 years is enough time for any rebuild of substance.

Ole has been managing for 10+ years.

Unless he really goes into seclusion and taught by football deities I'm afraid what we see is what we get.

Can he get better result if we buy sancho grealish and halaand? Question is who doesnt.

But the problem isnt that. The problem is can ole take us to the level where sancho grealish and halaand sees us as a prospect and would come and give us their all?

At this rate they would think twice. And if they come eventually in 2 or 3 years time by that time maguire martial has become deadwood. Shaw will be the next Jones. De gea would be past it. And we're back to rebuilding phase.

Saf rebuild on the fly. His initial built took him 6 years but from then on it's a continuous and smooth transition. He's never given blank season. The time we dont won in 3 in a trot due to chelsea doesnt mean we underperform. Some teams just did better.

Now would giving ole 2 or 3 more years improve him by folds? Or would the improvement be marginal.

We're waiting for the rainbows at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel only ends when we're actually moving forward, not staying in place.

While I'm upset we were knocked out of the CL, I half expected it with the draw. The early results gave me hope.... but don't forget we don't have the experience or drive within most of the players to sustain big Euro nights. Not much CL experience in our current side outside of a few.

Here's where I'm at:
- still 2 points off the top (unreal this is true with how we've played in the league)
- still in the cups

Decisions that would show Ole should be sacked at the end of the season:
- Prioritize anything above PL. We're in a good spot. Don't send the strongest 11 to who knows where for a Thursday EL tie when we need the 3 points Sunday.
- Doesn't learn from his tactical mistakes (formations and subs). He clearly got it wrong but was too slow to change. Let's face it he's a young manager and there is alot to learn. But he needs to LEARN vs repeat the same mistake over

Ole has to win at least a cup this season and a top 4 finish or top 2 in the premier league if we don't win anything. Failing either one of this, I think we will see a new manager next season.

Ridiculous we will give him that long when it's so clear that he isn't up to managing this club any longer

I suppose I have never seen the possibility of a major turn-around in just two years time. For my own part, I look at progress as having a longer arc than that. We were basically an upper mid-table club a few years back. Becoming a sure bet for the top four is therefore progress. Now, admittedly, I'm not 100% sure we are a sure bet at this point. The PL is extremely competitive these days, but we seem to be close to this level. From there I hope we make further progress and become a title contending team. I don't think we are there yet, nor did I expect it at this point honestly. I think many people think two years is enough time to turn the post-SAF MUFC mess around. Fans want us to go from upper mid-table to title in a year or two. I have never held this opinion. Therefore, I have a lot more tolerance for the ups and downs along the way.

For what it's worth in American sports, the general sentiment is that a coach should be given 3-4 years time to implement their system before it is deemed a success or failure. I think it's weird to think that 2 years is enough time for any rebuild of substance.

He should definitely not get another 4 weeks let alone another 4 years

It's not even about how much time I'd give him anymore. I don't think he has the skills or the personality to take us any further than he has.

Keeping him on will just result in more of the same. Some good days, some bad days but never consistently great days.

Ole did his job and lifted spirits after the Mourinho mess but If we want this team to go to the next level we need a next level manager. A Poch or a Tuchel.

We need to get on with the inevitable and move Ole on.

P.s Thank you for your service legend.

Which American sport? I watch basketball and the reason rebuilds take 3-4 years is because the best odds at the best prospects are given to the worst teams. When teams aren't trying to manipulate their draft odds they are as ruthless and trigger happy with firing coaches. No team trying and failing to make the playoffs is going to stick with a coach for 3-4 years

Also we have also been top 4 candidates. This upper mid table thing isn't right. Our worst position under Jose and LVG was 5th and guess what, it got them fired because we most certainly did not believe that was our level even for one season. Dropping standards can't be the only way to make Ole look good

We were basically an upper mid-table club a few years back. Becoming a sure bet for the top four is therefore progress.

We finished 2nd the literal season before Ole took over.

We’re becoming schrodingers football team. Simultaneously a rag tag bag of misfit toys Ole is doing brilliantly to haul back to respectability, and also a pulsating progressing side on the up that outplayed PSG and could be in the title race, entirely depending on which one is more flattering/forgiving in the circumstances.

Last edited:
He should definitely not get another 4 weeks let alone another 4 years
I never said he should get another four years. However, I am perfectly fine with another four weeks, yea, even another four months at least. I wouldn't be that upset with a total of four years, assuming a decent performance during those years. It's literally a 2+2=4 approach (2 years so far + 2 more). I'm not saying Ole will certainly take us to the promised land. That said, I also don't share "the sky is falling with Ole" sentiment that is so prevalent in here.

I get it that many think this would be "wasted time." I disagree. If Ole could bring some level of stability, stability we have simply not had since SAF, then it would not be time wasted. Now if it all falls apart completely, then I will understand making a change sooner.

I never said he should get another four years. However, I am perfectly fine with another four weeks, yea, even another four months at least. I wouldn't be that upset with a total of four years, assuming a decent performance during those years. It's literally a 2+2=4 approach (2 years so far + 2 more). I'm not saying Ole will certainly take us to the promised land. That said, I also don't share "the sky is falling with Ole" sentiment that is so prevalent in here.

I get it that many think this would be "wasted time." I disagree. If Ole could bring some level of stability, stability we have simply not had since SAF, then it would not be time wasted. Now if it all falls apart completely, then I will understand making a change sooner.

I was happy for him being appointed on a interim basis two years ago,however should have been thanked for his service at the end of that season and brought in someone more experienced

Also we have also been top 4 candidates. This upper mid table thing isn't right. Our worst position under Jose and LVG was 5th and guess what, it got them fired because we most certainly did not believe that was our level even for one season. Dropping standards can't be the only way to make Ole look good
Season finishes since SAF in reverse order:

3rd (Ole)
6th (Jose/Ole)
2nd (Jose)
6th (Jose)
5th (LVG)
4th (LVG)
7th (Moyes)

3 out of 7 years in the top four. Looks upper mid-table to me. Jose even said that the 2nd place finish was his best achievement.

Source: https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/12/Manchester-United/season-history

Surely the only people Ole in should really be rival fans but looking at the poll clearly that's not the case

Which American sport? I watch basketball and the reason rebuilds take 3-4 years is because the best odds at the best prospects are given to the worst teams. When teams aren't trying to manipulate their draft odds they are as ruthless and trigger happy with firing coaches. No team trying and failing to make the playoffs is going to stick with a coach for 3-4 years
I was mainly thinking of football, but it would apply to baseball and hockey as well. I don't follow basketball closely enough to know about that. Maybe it's an exception. I do think most teams who hire a coach in the US give them at least three years. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think the rule stands. My St. Louis Cardinals stuck with Mike Matheny as manager for 6 years. Matheny had a total 0 years prior experience managing an MLB team. He took over a World Series winning team and eventually led them to 3 straight seasons without making the playoffs before they finally fired him.

Last edited:
I was happy for him being appointed on a interim basis two years ago,however should have been thanked for his service at the end of that season and brought in someone more experienced
Fair enough. I'm not even disagreeing with your sentiment. However, since he was hired and has, at least in my view, started moving the ship in the right direction, I think he should be given a little more slack than you seem comfortable with. That's fine. I don't mind the disagreement.

Season finishes since SAF in reverse order:

3rd (Ole)
6th (Jose/Ole)
2nd (Jose)
6th (Jose)
5th (LVG)
4th (LVG)
7th (Moyes)

3 out of 7 years in the top four. Looks upper mid-table to me. Jose even said that the 2nd place finish was his best achievement.

Source: https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/12/Manchester-United/season-history
Feels like you included Moyes unfinished season (7th) and Ole's first season (6th) to pad those figures. Under LVG and Jose we were not an upper mid table team, we were perennial top 4 contenders. When we failed it was marginally and the managers were sacked

I was mainly thinking of football, but it would apply to baseball and hockey as well. I don't follow basketball closely enough to know about that. Maybe it's an exception. I do think most teams who hire a coach in the US give them at least three years. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think the rule stands. My St. Louis Cardinals stuck with Mike Matheny as manager for 6 years. Matheny had a total 0 years prior experience managing an MLB team. He took over a World Series winning team and eventually led them to 4 straight seasons without making the playoffs before they finally fired him.
Hardly making a case there for you buddy.

Fair enough. I'm not even disagreeing with your sentiment. However, since he was hired and has, at least in my view, started moving the ship in the right direction, I think he should be given a little more slack than you seem comfortable with. That's fine. I don't mind the disagreement.

Yeah I am definitely uncomfortable with him getting more slack as have seen enough to tell me he isn't the man to take us forward

Thats not a fair comparison, in american sports the teams are feeded by a draft and have salary caps, thats why teams take so long to rebuild. On the other hand we have the financial muscle to get proper players fast. No coach in any club is going to get 3-4 years fo implement his system never mind in a top club, thats nonsense.

2 years is more than enough for a rebuild, Im not talking about wining trophies but we should be challenging at least.

For some reason the point of comparison is always the lower point we had under Mourinho as if that was our standard. People say he'll leave the club better than when he took it, well that would be something isnt it? Leaving the club in a worse state than Mourinho who was actively seeking to get sacked would be quite an achievement.

Before that implosing, with Mourinho we finished second with 81 points how is us ending 3rd with 66 points any kind of progress?

I swear if it was Moyes instead of Ole no one would defend him. This double standard is ridiculous, no manager had been cut so much slack as Ole.

Its as if we must lower our standard so he's not called a failure. No system, no consistency, no trophies, no proper league challenge, keeps breaking all kind of negative records and still people defend him. I just dont get it.

Till end of the season. If he dosen't get op 4 then needs to go.

We should let him make top 4 and bid him farewell before he has the chance to get us knocked out of next year's CL group stage. What's top 4 supposed to do if we're just going to end up playing Europa league