Iconic looking Footballs

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
After having a heated discussion with a mate about good looking footballs from around the leagues, shouting him down about liking the new ball and it's 'simplicity'. I thought i'd have a poke around and try and find some history of the nike ball in the Premier League.

I still maintain the new one looks far too much like the old Mitre ball's and that their design peaked with the T90 with the round stripes design. I remember when the original Geo Merlin Vapour appeared I was captivated. It looked good and when I bought one it was still quite a heavy ball that could be bent significantly.

The T90 Aerow for me just looked fantastic. The way the rings swirled in different way's when the ball was going slomo into the net to me is still iconic with my love of football and the PL.

Anyway, what other football's to the Caf like? I personally loved the Euro 2004 Adidas Rotiero ball but have never really been fond of the star Champions League ball's.

http://www.soccerbible.com/news/gen...footballs-10-years-of-the-premier-league.aspx
This is the article about the Nike balls in the premier league. The latest one is not included.

Also what made me fall in love with the Rotiero ball;

1432.jpg

ghaliboy my man, when I saw the thread title I directly thought of the Euro 04 adidas ball.

It was a great looking ball. The real idea and discussion that came about was finding my mrs old basket of footballs when we were cleaning out her wardrobe (we're moving) and out popped one of those Rotiero's. It had a hole unfortunately, a small kick around while it stayed somewhat pumped up though.

She also had the T90 Aero United version and a Geo United version. Both ratshit.

Brought back some memories though.

Shane lol, used to love getting in the backyard with those replica light as feck balls and hitting them a la Ronaldo does now. They were made out of plastic and used to make a 'SPRANG' sound when you hit them. You could knuckle them and get them to dip and bobble a treat! Any amount of spin on them though would result in wayward in-out curving and because they were way to light you could never control the swerve.

These two World Cup balls are perhaps the most distinctive of all.

Adidas Telstar

telstar-1970.jpg

Adidas Tango

1978%20Tango%20Durlast%20World%20Cup%20ball%20(4).JPG

Both of these were very 1980s-First-Division, but the Multiplex in particular was a true and consistent ball.

Mitre Multiplex

4055.jpg

Mitre Delta

mitre-delta-1000.jpg

Mitre Ultimax

101876_thumb.jpg

I cannot think of a really iconic ball during the last ten years largely because designs have frequently changed and there have been poor balls such as the Jabulani and Fefernova released. The Champions League ball has built up a strong brand and I quite like this simple 1990s-La-Liga forerunner to the various Nike balls of the last decade.

tempfile.v1355497572.jpg20121214-4222-4sxmt1-0

I hated those red Wembley balls...

$%28KGrHqF,!ocF!J-qugcDBQPju,cflg~~60_35.JPG

This makes me crazy nostalgic. Kicking around with my mates as a 12 year old and playing on FIFA 98 RTWC. :(

Putting Beckham on the left wing and shooting from the half way line, top right corner every time. :)

Mitre Multiplex

4055.jpg

I was afraid to head the ball for years as a kid because of that very ball. Every drop of moisture was soaked up by the ball, it was easier to go hop your head off the shed than head the ball clear.

Maybe not iconic, but I loved the Wawa Aba from the African Cup of Nations 2008.

adidas-african-cup-match-ball-wawa-aba.jpg

To be fair looking back, I like alot of the footballs mentioned in this thread. It's just the Jabulani which done my nut in, ugly looking and shit to boot.

Euro 2004 Design is my favourite one, pretty durable too.

article-0-13E4D5D5000005DC-358_634x427.jpg

Loved that ball. Reminds me of our Champions League days with Eric the King leading us out.

For me, that's the most iconic, although probably because of the accompanying game where if a player had a special ability in a particular area, the ball would glow orange as they kicked it, leaving an orange stream behind it like a comet.

I loved that game dearly.

Mitre Delta Premier League had to be the hardest football ever made haha i remember it bloody hurt when it went whanging into your face from a free kick :lol:

$%28KGrHqF,!ocF!J-qugcDBQPju,cflg~~60_35.JPG

This makes me crazy nostalgic. Kicking around with my mates as a 12 year old and playing on FIFA 98 RTWC. :(

Putting Beckham on the left wing and shooting from the half way line, top right corner every time. :)

First ball to have the gel/silicone injected into the leather. But this is the ball that gave us THAT free kick from Robby C

The Mitre balls were hard as nails, regardless of model. I recall one particular Nike ball in the same mould as the Mitre ones. Looked something like this:

SC1217-101_nike_tiempo_team_training_ball_white_zm.jpg

Bloody cannonball.

This thread makes me happy. It's the little things in football that make you remember why you fell in love with it in the first place.

Actually having another look at the Adidas ball the Champions League ball is quite stylish and I may have been hasty to discredit it.

Adidas+Champions+League+Final+2009+Match+Ball-03.jpg

I remember when the Tango arrived on the scene, it was brilliant to use, better than anything before.

Great thread. Brings back some fantastic memories.

I've always loved the champions league balls, they just instantly make me think of European nights at Old Trafford. Or classic European matches. The Nike PL balls were great too, up until the last few seasons, we're they've become a bit 'meh'. This seasons is just a bit nothingy (is that even a word?).

In terms of pure iconic looking footballs though, the first one that came to mind was the Nike one with just the simple Nike swoosh (in that Rivaldo picture). It's just effortlessly beautiful.

Oh, and all Mitre balls should be banned, and never spoke of again.

Adidas Mexico 1986 World Cup Ball - Azteca
1986Azteca.jpg

Nike EPL, La Liga, Serie A from 2004-2006 - T90
nike-total-90-aerow.jpg

Adidas Aus/Swi Euro 2008 Ball - Europass
euro2008ball.jpg

And of course...
103575359_adidas-final-10-match-ball-uefa-champions-league-season-.jpg

These 4 always stick out, not sure why when it comes to the middle two.

w3vMK7t.jpg

Looks like this is the new ball for this season I think. Looks fecking hideous again.

Not to sure what the remier League is either.