How big will the gap be at the end of the season?

onemanarmy

It will all come down to the last game of the season, which we'll win. City will lose it, by an AguerroooooooNNNNNNNOOOOOO owngoal.

Dash247

We would all love a turn around and us winning the league, but it just looks too far.
City scored 70 goals i.e. 21 more goals than us in same number of games, they just have a lot more confidence and fire power in them at the moment.

I know we recently acquired Sanchez, but I wouldn't blame him if it takes at least a few games before he settles in and starts banging goals and assists.

Moreover, we are yet to play all of our Big 5 games - [Spurs (A) - Jan 31, Chelsea (H) - Feb 25, Liverpool (H) - Mar 10, City (A) - Apr 07, Arsenal (H) - Apr 28]

Spurs and City away are both very difficult games and we would be lucky to get a draw out of those games.

First week of March would be a key period for City. They are playing Arsenal away, Chelsea at Home, and a Champions League game all in a week. It would interesting to see how they handle that.

I feel the gap would become smaller than what it is right now.

UTDbornfan

It will all come down to the last game of the season, which we'll win. City will lose it, by an AguerroooooooNNNNNNNOOOOOO owngoal.
Or even better United winning it at the last second with a Lukakuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu moment :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
obviously Id like to see us close the gap but if we get too close then all those crap dropped points are going to come back to haunt us

I expect City will drop more points than the first half of the season as they fight on 4 fronts, Im not convinced that we will do that much better than we have though (as we actually had a decent first half ourselves) and end 7/8 points behind

Revan

Assumptionman
Less than it is now by virtue of City concentrating in UCL knowing that they have already won the league.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can't see us beating City. On top of the fact they're shit hot this season, they seem to be a bogey side of ours anyway. I think they'll need to drop a lot of points if we're going to trim it down to single figures.

Minimalist

Don't think it'll be too much different than the 12 points currently seen. If United really grow with the Sanchez signing (winning all the big matches to come) and smashing some poorer sides at home, they could run it close but I'm not convinced there's much evidence for it.

City need to start drawing the odd game to breed in some doubt. Otherwise I think it'll remain the same.

I do think the race for the top four will be a tight one (Chelsea and United to pull away from the rest).

ash_86

i can't see it being lower than 7-8 points however bad City form gets. We were absolutely dog poop in some of the games we should have easily won.

I Am Zlatan

Please god, we tie on points and beat them with a 93rd min Alexis Sanchez goal. But realistically, it’ll probably be around 6-7 pts

Chipper

Adulterer.
Going to go about 15, but it's no more than a stab in the dark.

We have 5 remaining games against fellow top 6, they have 4. We've got to go there too, so with those 2 things I'll say it will widen a little.

Yes, they may well rest players here ans there ahead of Champions League etc. Don't know how our own top 4 battle will be panning out either and we could too down the line. In terms of the gap it's probably best that we're pushed, but paradoxically if we are pushed it might be because we're dropping points.

For another opinion here's what a spread betting company makes of it:

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
I think we will more than match City for points the remainder of the season, and win at the Etihad. My best guess is the gap will be seven points by the end of the season. I would take that right now, kind of a moral victory and momentum for next season.

Baby Groot

Just looked it up, only one team has won the league by more than 12 points - us in 99/00 by 18 points :eek:

Chelsea in 04/05 won by 12, everyone else less.
This of course in bold is the biggest gap before rebranding the league as Premier League in 1992. Also biggest point gap since the league went 3 pointers in 1981, but if we convert all pre-1981 leagues to 3 pointers our 99/00 by 18 is the biggest gap in history since beginning of time in 1888.

Dante

Average bang
It'll be about 6 points by the end of the season.

Once City have get one hand on the trophy, they'll let off the gas. It always happens. There's no way they can/will maintain their current intensity and hunger. Their run is unprecedented as it is. Keeping it up will be impossible. Meanwhile, United will start playing with more freedom and players on the cusp will be desperate to show that they deserve a place next season when the rebuild begins.

We've averaged 2.21 points per game so far. With Sanchez in the side, it'll probably go up to 2.35 (figure plucked out of the air). That'll leave us on 86 points. I think it's realistic to expect City to coast to 92 points once there's nothing left to play for on the domestic front.

Havak

Pokemon master
Tough one at the moment, Sanchez should help us do better in the remaining games and come the top 8 of the UCL City may rest players and drop some points in the League. They'll win it at a canter still, however. I'm going to say yes, though, we'll close it slightly.

baskinginthesun

My dream: Man City lose to Arsenal in the League Cup Final. This then sends them into a nosedive for March losing to Arsenal again and then Chelsea. Meanwhile back home with Utd. Everybody is as excited as a labrador thrashing around in the water because we now have Sanchez. We storm the league and go an absolute bender of trouncing everybody that we face. April 7th: The big one. We smash them 3-0 at some airline sponsored stadium and we now have a 3 point lead (do the maths, this is all a dream anyway). Next week City plays Spurs and lose 2-1 in the 94th minute to an absolute screamer from some English bloke named Harry or.. something. We beat WBA 5-0 and are now ahead on goal difference. 2 games to go with a 6 point lead and leading on goal difference. We then lose the next game and they win theirs. We are now 3 points ahead but still have goal difference in our favor. (anybody see where I am going with this?). It's the last game of the season. City beat Huddersfield 2 or 3 nil at this point. Who cares? This is still a dream. We are down 2-0 away to Brighton entering stoppage time. If we score one we are level on points and will win the league on goal difference by 1 goal. DDG comes up for a corner in the 94th minute (again). Sanchez places the ball by the corner flag, floats one in and DDG gets up and smashes it into the net with his head. The final whistle goes, we win the league!! Mayhem!!..... again, this is a dream.

Realistically. City win the league by 10 points. They will probably have a blip in form but not enough for us to make a dent in the points difference.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Decent thread and legit q. Wafer thin, is my considered reply. Not more than 3 pts, and not less than 1. Either way.

Neuron

My dream: Man City lose to Arsenal in the League Cup Final. This then sends them into a nosedive for March losing to Arsenal again and then Chelsea. Meanwhile back home with Utd. Everybody is as excited as a labrador thrashing around in the water because we now have Sanchez. We storm the league and go an absolute bender of trouncing everybody that we face. April 7th: The big one. We smash them 3-0 at some airline sponsored stadium and we now have a 3 point lead (do the maths, this is all a dream anyway). Next week City plays Spurs and lose 2-1 in the 94th minute to an absolute screamer from some English bloke named Harry or.. something. We beat WBA 5-0 and are now ahead on goal difference. 2 games to go with a 6 point lead and leading on goal difference. We then lose the next game and they win theirs. We are now 3 points ahead but still have goal difference in our favor. (anybody see where I am going with this?). It's the last game of the season. City beat Huddersfield 2 or 3 nil at this point. Who cares? This is still a dream. We are down 2-0 away to Brighton entering stoppage time. If we score one we are level on points and will win the league on goal difference by 1 goal. DDG comes up for a corner in the 94th minute (again). Sanchez places the ball by the corner flag, floats one in and DDG gets up and smashes it into the net with his head. The final whistle goes, we win the league!! Mayhem!!..... again, this is a dream.

Realistically. City win the league by 10 points. They will probably have a blip in form but not enough for us to make a dent in the points difference.
I had exactly the same dream.

Needham

The gap will most likely increase but if its anywhere under 10 teams can take heart for next season. Leicester won it by 10 and I don't quite know what my point is.

Jagga7

People are wildly optimistic, the gap is 12 now and I don't see how we're going to get anywhere close to them.

They will be at least 15 points ahead of us come the end of the season.

Shiva87

We will close the gap to less than 5 points before the end of the season. They'll start having some suspensions and Silva is looking a bit out of sorts with his family stuff.

They already think they have it in the bag which gives us a good chance to close it down. It will get really interesting if they drop a couple of points before their League cup final. We could start putting some real pressure then.

United need to get 36-39 points from the remaining 42 if we want to get close. Will be tough.

Craig Bellendy

i think city will lose a little momentum towards the end and we will go up a few gears, 10 points the gap united to win fa cup and reach quarters of the cl