Film Horror films suitable for young teens

I would have thought Saw was much worse than the Conjuring. It's so fecking extreme!
Nah it doesn't show much when you watch it carefully.

It's like Rocky. A lot of people think it's got loads of boxing but in reality, it has one fight montage for the opening credits and the final fight against Apollo, the rest is just story and character building.

I was about to write this. Especially the first one.

terrifier-terrifier2.gif

Based on films I've seen that I don't think would bore a 13-year-old to death, and according to iMDB are rated PG-13:
  • A Quiet Place
  • Insidious
  • The Woman in Black
  • The Visit
  • M3GAN
  • Five Nights at Freddy's
  • The Boy
  • Dark Skies

Based on films I've seen that I don't think would bore a 13-year-old to death, and according to iMDB are rated PG-13:
  • A Quiet Place
  • Insidious
  • The Woman in Black
  • The Visit
  • M3GAN
  • Five Nights at Freddy's
  • The Boy
  • Dark Skies
I wanted to put in Insidious but you can't get it on Amazon, Apple TV or Netflix in the UK

I wanted to put in Insidious but you can't get it on Amazon, Apple TV or Netflix in the UK

That is absolutely shocking.

How long is the party going on for? You're probably only going to need two or three movies, surely?

That is absolutely shocking.

How long is the party going on for? You're probably only going to need two or three movies, surely?
I'm letting them choose 2 from a menu of 8, because if I just choose 2 they'll complain and automatically think they are shit, but if they have a bit of choice, it'll be much easier!

Since this thread started that list has updated to

A Quiet Place
Insidious
Get Out
Paranormal Activity
Poltergeist (2015)
The Blair Witch Project
The Woman in Black (2012)
The Others

I finally found Insidious on Sky Go and took advice on here that The Conjuring is too scary so swapped it out for The Others.

The Blair Witch Project really freaked me out as a kid man. It was that and the Exorcist which I remember having nightmares about after.

That said, it's all good if you're prepared to pay the therapy costs.
How old were you when you watched it?

I remember a friends mum let me watch American Werewolf in London and Salem's Lot when I was 9 and though neither are particularly scary, at the time I didn't sleep for months!

How old were you when you watched it?

I remember a friends mum let me watch American Werewolf in London and Salem's Lot when I was 9 and though neither are particularly scary, at the time I didn't sleep for months!

BWP came out in 1999 so I assume it was a couple of years later when it was on Channel 4/Film 4 (so I'd have been 11/12?). It seems silly now for me too but all the grainy footage spooked me as a kid. It felt unsettling and claustophobic.

I think that's the thing with horror - there always tends to be something that makes people feel scared. For some kids it'll be ghosts (especially in and around the home), for some it'll be demonic visions, etc etc. Whatever relates to existing fears.

It's why I think stock stuff like Zombie or Werewolf movies, while scary, doesn't unsettle people the same way. You don't tend to encounter or think about them much in daily life. They only exist in the movies (or at least I hope).

No idea if I'm being helpful here for the point of your thread but the idea behind horror movies interests me a lot :)

Last edited:
I'm letting them choose 2 from a menu of 8, because if I just choose 2 they'll complain and automatically think they are shit, but if they have a bit of choice, it'll be much easier!

Since this thread started that list has updated to

A Quiet Place
Insidious
Get Out
Paranormal Activity
Poltergeist (2015)
The Blair Witch Project
The Others

I finally found Insidious on Sky Go and took advice on here that The Conjuring is too scary so swapped it out for The Others.

Good tactic.

If you can find it and want a "so bad it's good" option, I recommend Troll 2 (it's not a sequel to anything).

My 13 year old daughter is having a Halloween party tonight for her mates, she's asked if they can watch horror films so I have been putting together a selection of what I think might be appropriate for them to pick a couple from. I'm avoiding sex and major gore, but at the same time still want them to be able to give themselves a scare. These are my choices so far...

A Quiet Place
Amityville Horror (1979)
Get Out
Paranormal Activity
Poltergeist (2015)
The Blair Witch Project
The Conjuring

Any thoughts, are any too much (I'm a bit worried about the Conjuring) for 13 year olds, or any others you think would be OK for that age, without me being harangued by angry parents tomorrow!
If you really want to shit them up, as they get to a scary part of the film, start flicking the light fuse off and on. They fecking shite themselves.

My 13 year old daughter is having a Halloween party tonight for her mates, she's asked if they can watch horror films so I have been putting together a selection of what I think might be appropriate for them to pick a couple from. I'm avoiding sex and major gore, but at the same time still want them to be able to give themselves a scare. These are my choices so far...

A Quiet Place
Amityville Horror (1979)
Get Out
Paranormal Activity
Poltergeist (2015)
The Blair Witch Project
The Conjuring

Any thoughts, are any too much (I'm a bit worried about the Conjuring) for 13 year olds, or any others you think would be OK for that age, without me being harangued by angry parents tomorrow!
Why, out of interest, would you choose the Poltergeist remake over the original? I've watched that with my 14 year old recently and it's a classic of the genre and suitable for that age group.

Why, out of interest, would you choose the Poltergeist remake over the original? I've watched that with my 14 year old recently and it's a classic of the genre and suitable for that age group.
Yeah, abit of a odd one. The original is great fun.

It
Paranormal activity
The Shining
Get Out
The Ring
Hereditary
Conjuring
Insidious
Saw
6th Sense
Speak no evil
Evil Dead Rise
Cabin in the Woods

Could put on a horror TV show too -
American Horror Story
Haunting of Hill House

Just because anything I show them pre 2000 is branded old and boring. I showed my eldest omen and alien recently and she was bored out of her mind and kept asking when they would get scary. I though the remake might be more acceptable to them.

A Quiet Place
Amityville Horror (1979)
Get Out
Paranormal Activity
Poltergeist (2015)
The Blair Witch Project
The Conjuring

How’d this end up? I think most of those on your list are too intense for that age group. Maybe one of the funnier horror movies would have been good, like Evil Dead 2.

Hope you’re not getting an earful today.

The Blair Witch Project really freaked me out as a kid man. It was that and the Exorcist I remember having nightmares about.

BWP came out in 1999 so I assume it was a couple of years later when it was on Channel 4/Film 4 (so I'd have been 11/12?). It seems silly now for me too but all the grainy footage spooked me as a kid. It felt unsettling and claustophobic.

I think that's the thing with horror - there always tends to be something that makes people feel scared. For some kids it'll be ghosts (especially in and around the home), for some it'll be demonic visions, etc etc. Whatever relates to existing fears.

It's why I think stock stuff like Zombie or Werewolf movies, while scary, doesn't unsettle people the same way. You don't tend to encounter or think about them much in daily life. They only exist in the movies (or at least I hope).

No idea if I'm being helpful here for the point of your thread but the idea behind horror movies interests me a lot :)
The willing suspension of disbelief is key for horror movies, and getting really stoned before one makes it a lot easier to go with what story you’re watching. I saw BWP when it was still only playing at a couple film festivals and didn’t have a distribution yet. My friend’s brother owned an apparel company and somehow knew someone etc etc and we had the movie on VHS. This was still in the window when the actors were kept off press junkets so that people believed it was real. We got thoroughly baked and watched it, and it was totally engrossing and horrifying, the scene at the end in the basement freaked me right the feck out.

Hopefully they didn’t select BWP for the party!

How’d this end up? I think most of those on your list are too intense for that age group. Maybe one of the funnier horror movies would have been good, like Evil Dead 2.

Hope you’re not getting an earful today.
They initially picked The Quiet Place but after about 45 minutes decided it was boring and not scary enough, so they asked to change to Insidious, but we couldn't stream it, so they decided they wanted The Conjuring, I tried to put them off it, but they pushed and pushed so they watched that in the pitch dark on a projector. Out of ten of them, one was a bit freaked out but nothing bad, the others enjoyed it, but were a bit meh at the end! They did all scream though when the clapping hands appear! All the parents that came at 10 to pick up their kids were told what they'd seen and thankfully no one minded at all.

Clearly inner city comps turn out tougher kids than they did in my day, that film still sh1ts me up!

The Blair Witch Project really freaked me out as a kid man. It was that and the Exorcist I remember having nightmares about.

We actually watched The Exorcist last night. I thought it was quite silly, but I remember seeing it at the pictures when it first came out and it seemed much more shocking. I think it's just that the special effects nowadays are much more impressive.

Might save this thread although I might regret it...my partner always wants to watch something scary on Halloween but a 12A is about as much as I can handle. I've suggested Gremlins this year, that's a horror film right?

They initially picked The Quiet Place but after about 45 minutes decided it was boring and not scary enough, so they asked to change to Insidious, but we couldn't stream it, so they decided they wanted The Conjuring, I tried to put them off it, but they pushed and pushed so they watched that in the pitch dark on a projector. Out of ten of them, one was a bit freaked out but nothing bad, the others enjoyed it, but were a bit meh at the end! They did all scream though when the clapping hands appear! All the parents that came at 10 to pick up their kids were told what they'd seen and thankfully no one minded at all.

Clearly inner city comps turn out tougher kids than they did in my day, that film still sh1ts me up!
:lol:

Fair play to them.

We actually watched The Exorcist last night. I thought it was quite silly, but I remember seeing it at the pictures when it first came out and it seemed much more shocking. I think it's just that the special effects nowadays are much more impressive.
The older films that I remember being terrifying, (I'm thinking The Exorcist, The Omen or more recently Blair Witch) just don't scare kids in the way they used to. I think it's because though they were ground breaking at the time and we hadn't seen or even imagined anything like them, for today's kids the tricks, tropes and cliches etc have been used again and again so don't shock or impact in the same way.

The House

Many many years since I watched it but I seem to remember it was at the fun end of horror. Maybe Poltergeist?

Definitely check with parents to avoid an angry mob at your door.

The House

Many many years since I watched it but I seem to remember it was at the fun end of horror. Maybe Poltergeist?

Definitely check with parents to avoid an angry mob at your door.
All done and dusted last night, they watched The Conjuring, which in my view is is way too scary, but they were determined. They were fine and the parents were all good too, so no harm done!

All done and dusted last night, they watched The Conjuring, which in my view is is way too scary, but they were determined. They were fine and the parents were all good too, so no harm done!
Always good to get through those things without parental anger. Well done.

The older films that I remember being terrifying, (I'm thinking The Exorcist, The Omen or more recently Blair Witch) just don't scare kids in the way they used to. I think it's because though they were ground breaking at the time and we hadn't seen or even imagined anything like them, for today's kids the tricks, tropes and cliches etc have been used again and again so don't shock or impact in the same way.
Honestly, the most frightening horror film I ever saw is a black and white one from 1957 called "Night Of The Demon" (released in the USA as Curse Of The Demon), with Niall McGinnis and Dana Andrews. It's rated highly on review charts of all-time-best horror films. The demon itself is as you'd expect for a film of that era, but the sense of foreboding and impending doom throughout the film is absolutely terrifying.

If you have a spare hour and a half!

Honestly, the most frightening horror film I ever saw is a black and white one from 1957 called "Night Of The Demon" (released in the USA as Curse Of The Demon), with Niall McGinnis and Dana Andrews. It's rated highly on review charts of all-time-best horror films. The demon itself is as you'd expect for a film of that era, but the sense of foreboding and impending doom throughout the film is absolutely terrifying.

If you have a spare hour and a half!
Cool, ill check that out.

Tbh, when it comes to disturbing scenes, very few have shook me in recent times as much as that scene in Julie Taymor's Titus.
I won't spoiler it but it took me by complete surprise.
JAWS is the only real horror film, if we're splitting hairs, to leave a (negative) long lasting impression on me.

Last edited: