Have you ever actually been a victim of 'fake news'?

Fake news isn't rocket science or esoteric philosophy. It's news that is untrue, fabricated, extremely exaggerated, etc. and is usually accompanied with a clickbait headline.

Or in Trump's case, it's any news that reports negatively on him.

Pizzagate, the story that Hilary Clinton was running a paedophile ring. It was blatantly not true. As in...well, yeah, fake. Additionally, while it was less a newscaster and more a commentator, Conway's recent comments on the 'bowling green massacre' depicted a terrorism event which did not actually happen.
Oh I see, basically what us oldies call bullshit or lies?

So give me an example of fake news so I understand it please

Many of these are US/Trump related, but they are illustrative :: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2017/02/fake-news-problem-left-too

Beyond being a lie or totally speculative, rumours and supposed scoops spread very quickly thanks to social media. Merely checking multiple sources can reveal the truth, or allowing for the passage of a few hours, yet some will go with their first impression regardless.

It seems to be more of an issue for Facebook than Twitter however.

I think the 'baby boomer' generation get fooled by it the most. They're the ones that get their news from Facebook and the Daily Mail and don't know any different. My racist uncle is constantly posting clearly bullshit articles on Facebook.

Apples Tim Cook, is calling for government intervention and a public information campaign:

The full interview with the Telegraph :: hhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/02/10/fake-news-killing-peoples-minds-says-apple-boss-tim-cook/

I guess i'm wondering if this whole issue is being overblown, and could be open to abuse by governments. Fake, fake news, has been a factor in the recent unrest taking place in Cameroon for instance.

When the president of the most power country is basing policies on events that didn't happen, then it's not being overblown. I guess you can compare it to the World's population being shareholders in a company that's making strategic decisions based upon incorrect financial and market data.
So whatever your political persuasion is, left or right, we all should be very concerned.