Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

100%. XG is shot quality, of which we have very little.
As of last week we were 4th in the league in chance creation. 15th in shot conversion. Reads to me that we need a better striker.
You don't need XG to tell you that we need a better striker

Makes no sense to buy Kane if we can’t afford 3/4 more players this summer. By the time the squad is ready to play Ten Hag ball Kane might hold us back

Only explanation is that you intentionally try to misunderstand me. The point is, spending too much on one player is an issue for United because the team has more than one issue. This applies regardless of who the player is, a rather old player like Kane would be even worse in my mind. I have nothing against Kane, I even think, his style might suit us pretty well but the money we pay for him will be gone and will not get used to close other gaps. We spend 85 million last year on Antony - wouldn't you rather have two players for this amount of money?

How many transfer blows do we need until the coin drops with some fans? We are notoriously bad when it comes to big transfers. The team won't play better out of thin air - even if ETH can do some magic in the summer. He can't train Eriksen to last all games and all 90 minutes. He isn't going to get Casemiro any younger. Varane less injuries. DDG a better keeper who miraculously improves his passing? Not it won't. Add that the whole midfield turns old and we have not a single like for like backup to anybody there. Add the actual need to bring a good keeper.

Getting Kane now for 100 million means we have to go big for another striker in 2-3 years. Isn't it smarter to just skip the step in between? Some of you laughed about bringing in Maguire for sooo much cash but are ready to follow the same train of thought: "if the only good guys are expensive, you have to pay up". No ffs. You fecking change the plan.

Talk about Kane, Talk about Rice... Are we sure, that Ole is really gone?

You just don’t like Kane which is why fine. No need for the examples which have no relation and the theories which have no backing. I mean we could get a 24 year old striker he could be crap for 2 years and we would still be looking to replace him.

All I know is Harry Kane scores goals. A lot of goals at that. Don’t believe check the stats.

As for spreading the money. We aren’t going to buy 6 players and never should we as naturally the quality will drop which is why you can spread the money so widely.

In the second season of Jose we spent £90m on a striker and was still able to get a Defender and Midfielder. We would have got a winger too if not for Woody being cheap.

So even just looking at History I don’t get where you believe we would sign a striker and not fix other positions. We would still get a CB, Midfielder and probably GK regardless.

Other positions like RB will depend on sales.

So stop moaning about things that won’t be an issue.

Makes no sense to buy Kane if we can’t afford 3/4 more players this summer. By the time the squad is ready to play Ten Hag ball Kane might hold us back

As a said above we spent £90m on Lukaku and brought more players.

Why would that be? The number shown in the initial post is the sum of all our games total xG-values. Which is lower than our rivals and has been since years. Reason is something, that is visible for the naked eye: we don't create many clear cut chances. Having a striker who creates his own chances (interestingly Aubameyang was pretty good at that) would obviously increase the team total. But the number of forwards isn't an indicator for high xG or low xG. You can have Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe and Neymar in your frontline, if the midfield isn't capable of providing them the ball, they won't create much chances. This year WW is a factor of course. But just as much as Sancho, Antony or Martial. Even Rashford as he mostly tries to get on the end of things. Only one to be excluded here is Bruno.
Because our strikers are shit who don’t get into goal scoring positions through the middle which cuts out a third of our attacking stats?
People get on Antony’s and Sancho’s backs but they have nobody to cross it to, nobody to feed off of.

Not exactly great chances.
Huh? What do you want, open nets?

Antony could have had a personal hat trick

he also had the opportunity to lay on others but made bad choices

Sancho had a good shot but the keeper had a good game

don’t get me wrong, could we be more creative? Yes

but do I think we need another creative player? Not necessarily. I think we need a good striker to link it all up. Then we will see the attack come together

but do I think we need another creative player? Not necessarily. I think we need a good striker to link it all up. Then we will see the attack come together
Disagree. A world class midfielder to replace Eriksen, a world class rb and a GK who can play and sweep then a CF would be the best way to do things.

Disagree. A world class midfielder to replace Eriksen, a world class rb and a GK who can play and sweep then a CF would be the best way to do things.
Huh? We literally have no striker we can rely on, it’s the most neglected squad place and no youth who can fill it. CF should be priority.
RB is fine, we have enough there to go another window or 2.

Of all the positions that need attention, RB is surely pretty low on the priority list? We’re sorted there for a bit, AWB and Dalot are having their best seasons for us playing some good football.

Striker. Definitely a high priority. I’d welcome HK with open arms, yeah he’s knocking on but he’s one of the best.

Everytime there is a big game..

I give you an example of a player not going missing even if they lost.

Mbappe WC final 2022.
Did Mbappe not know where he was?

Yes. Striker is the key. We’re actually a pretty creative outfit already, but currently unable to finish chances.

We are acting like we are one striker away to be title challenger when in reality we have too many holes and nowhere near City and Arsenal or even Liverpool if they are back in-form. 100m isn't smart business imo. Look at our xG is very low, and you think our lack of goals alone is down to not having striker? We should learn or improve how to play from the back, retain possession, and create quality chances for striker first.

F3-D9-C31-D-C25-A-44-EB-B6-B0-0-C5745-A5-E214.jpg
Kinda sad no one took notice of this.
It’s a double edged sword though. Yes we have a low xG but that doesn’t mean getting a striker who can score goals won’t solve that.

You will naturally have a low xG if you don’t create opportunities for a striker to finish. The problem we’ve had is we’ve not had that striker who we can focus our chance creation on. Far too often we have Martial out of the box when we need someone in the centre. The less said about Weghorst the better.

Hence, our team isn’t going to be creating high xG chances when we don’t even have a player to focus creating those chances for. Even yesterday for example. We had 23 shots on goal. But hardly any of them were chances created looking for “the striker in the middle” who missed the chance. The point being our midfielders and wing forwards aren’t looking to create chances you would normally try when you have a focal point up front.

If we did have a Kane or an Osimhen, we will see a lot more attempted passes and crosses that are different to what we are creating right now. “Make the runs and the passes will find you”.

Of all the positions that need attention, RB is surely pretty low on the priority list? We’re sorted there for a bit, AWB and Dalot are having their best seasons for us playing some good football.

Striker. Definitely a high priority. I’d welcome HK with open arms, yeah he’s knocking on but he’s one of the best.

The thing is with Harry Kane that negates his age is that his game isnt built on pace. I think he will be effective well into his mid 30’s.

Without more goals we might struggle again next season especially if Chelsea and Liverpool perform better.

A lot of people bemoan the gk/rb situation but we have the most clean sheets in the league this year. We should focus firstly on the striker and central midfield imo. Obviously all 4 would be great though. Lets see if our recruitment dept has learnt anything about shifting players.

The thing is with Harry Kane that negates his age is that his game isnt built on pace. I think he will be effective well into his mid 30’s.

Without more goals we might struggle again next season especially if Chelsea and Liverpool perform better.

A lot of people bemoan the gk/rb situation but we have the most clean sheets in the league this year. We should focus firstly on the striker and central midfield imo. Obviously all 4 would be great though. Lets see if our recruitment dept has learnt anything about shifting players.
Yeah, as long as he avoids injury his game will still be effective in 3-4 years.

We need a born finisher. There are few we can sign, and all will be incredibly costly.

Kane is ready made for us and will have his own personal targets to fuel him to succeed with us.

Antony missed a sitter of a header, Sancho had a very good chance, both should really have scored and there were a few other decent chances as well
Antony yes, he should have done a lot better, but Sancho's chance was tough, it was well covered.

We need a born finisher. There are few we can sign, and all will be incredibly costly.

Kane is ready made for us and will have his own personal targets to fuel him to succeed with us.

That's the only thing I like in this.

The question is, does he have it?
Does he have Van Persie's drive to finally win the league with someone?

Or is he infected with Spurs loser mentality?

I agree we need at least 3 new players, but your logic is backwards. All the more reason to buy Kane if we don’t buy 3/4 other players. The clear gaping hole in the squad is striker and Harry ticks every conceivable box. Do that then we go for an 8, a backup 6 and for those who despise De Gea, a keeper.

But if we go into the next season with a new 8, a backup 6 and a new keeper but no striker we are truly fukked and might as well concede we’re coming nowhere near putting in a proper challenge for the PL trophy.

The Sancho chance and Antony header are literally great chances.
Those 2 plus the goals were the best chances. Which is pretty good but the rest of the situation weren't too close from my perspective.

You just don’t like Kane which is why fine. No need for the examples which have no relation and the theories which have no backing. I mean we could get a 24 year old striker he could be crap for 2 years and we would still be looking to replace him.
I mean, I explicitly choose to write, that I have nothing against Kane. So either you don't read my posts or you don't understand them. Both is fine with me.

So stop moaning about things that won’t be an issue.
Ok Mate. Will accept your future prediction capabilities and stop moaning. (Probably not going to to be hones) I find it interesting to hear such advice especially from you. But whatever.

Because our strikers are shit who don’t get into goal scoring positions through the middle which cuts out a third of our attacking stats?
People get on Antony’s and Sancho’s backs but they have nobody to cross it to, nobody to feed off of.
If we did have a Kane or an Osimhen, we will see a lot more attempted passes and crosses that are different to what we are creating right now. “Make the runs and the passes will find you”.
People get on the backs of Antony and Sancho because they often don't play very well. I don't think, that you can attribute that solely on the lack of certain striker even if this certainly is a factor. One of many. But when the mere existence of Weghorst in the team delete dribbling skills, intensity or decision making from the game of certain players, I'd focus on those players and not try to find some outside solution. Hasn't worked with Pogba just as well..
The issues with our xG started when Fergie was still there - his last title season was a bit of a drag because the whole team didn't create a lot but we had Rooney and RVP who could make a goal out of half a chance. Obviously, those things aren't something that went into long term memory but I recall this season to contain a looot of close 1:0 wins. So the issue with chance creation existed through all of those years. In the nearer past, we had players like Cavani or Ronaldo available. Those two aren't more difficult to create for than it would be for Kane is it? Still it didn't happen.
I don't know, maybe thats the case. I'm happy to make the experiment as long as it doesn't eat away other options. Which in Kanes case it likely will based on the number of potential summer budgets.

For the record once again: I agree that striker is a very important position to fill. I am not categorically against players of certain age, I am not categorically against paying large sums for players. But right now, it would seem pretty foolish to me. I don't know, I mean, some of you seem to see this current team winning something next year if only we add a very good striker. I just don't see that. As a team, we aren't the best in England, nor in Europe. Doesn't mean it is impossible with a little luck in the draws and with rivals sabotaging themselves. But is such a slight chance really something we should take such a risk for?

Those 2 plus the goals were the best chances. Which is pretty good but the rest of the situation weren't too close from my perspective.

I mean, I explicitly choose to write, that I have nothing against Kane. So either you don't read my posts or you don't understand them. Both is fine with me.

Ok Mate. Will accept your future prediction capabilities and stop moaning. (Probably not going to to be hones) I find it interesting to hear such advice especially from you. But whatever.

People get on the backs of Antony and Sancho because they often don't play very well. I don't think, that you can attribute that solely on the lack of certain striker even if this certainly is a factor. One of many. But when the mere existence of Weghorst in the team delete dribbling skills, intensity or decision making from the game of certain players, I'd focus on those players and not try to find some outside solution. Hasn't worked with Pogba just as well..
The issues with our xG started when Fergie was still there - his last title season was a bit of a drag because the whole team didn't create a lot but we had Rooney and RVP who could make a goal out of half a chance. Obviously, those things aren't something that went into long term memory but I recall this season to contain a looot of close 1:0 wins. So the issue with chance creation existed through all of those years. In the nearer past, we had players like Cavani or Ronaldo available. Those two aren't more difficult to create for than it would be for Kane is it? Still it didn't happen.
I don't know, maybe thats the case. I'm happy to make the experiment as long as it doesn't eat away other options. Which in Kanes case it likely will based on the number of potential summer budgets.

For the record once again: I agree that striker is a very important position to fill. I am not categorically against players of certain age, I am not categorically against paying large sums for players. But right now, it would seem pretty foolish to me. I don't know, I mean, some of you seem to see this current team winning something next year if only we add a very good striker. I just don't see that. As a team, we aren't the best in England, nor in Europe. Doesn't mean it is impossible with a little luck in the draws and with rivals sabotaging themselves. But is such a slight chance really something we should take such a risk for?
Well this season we have one trophy and another final, plus perhaps champions league. What could we do with an actual striker?

You can just see this neverending saga stretching through the summer to a redundant conclusion with Levy involved.

It surprises me that some people can say with complete confidence he'll still be at this level at 33-34. Or at least that he'll still be effective. I suppose "effective" is open to interpretation and depends on the standards that are expected, and the lower that benchmark is set the more likely it will turn out to be an accurate statement.

But personally I couldn't state that so definitively. He may not be that effective, or just relatively effective but ultimately not good enough anymore in title challenging terms, or somewhere in between. It seems a bit simple to say "well he doesn't rely on pace" and think that is the complete justification. It may be true enough that he isn't a pace merchant, but sharpness to get into positions, reflexes, physicality in contact and over the first few yards, physicality over long seasons for 90 mins each game - they're not all givens. I am comfortable saying I have no idea where he'll be and I'd be happier banking on something more conservative like the next couple of years being top level.

Well this season we have one trophy and another final, plus perhaps champions league. What could we do with an actual striker?
We were 2nd once and added Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo. Remember where that has led us? ^^

I get your point though. Nobody knows how it this scenario would turn out. It would reek of the recruitment of the last years, therefor I won't subscribe to it. Next year, competition might be even harder than last year, with Arsenal being a little more established, same for Newcastle, maybe even Brighton. City has had one more year to fine tune the machine together with Haaland, Liverpool might decide to punch again, same for Chelsea. I don't expect much from Spurs but thats enough to keep us busy. Also difficult to imagine more national cup runs where the draws are so decent as they were this year.

FYI:
League position is one thing, underlying numbers something else. All puzzle parts... Just a little look for contexts sake:

League Tables sorted by (based on Unterstat.com)
(it is pretty mixed in terms of number of games played (Brighton currently even a game less than we do) so obviously should be taken with a pinch of salt)

Goals: 9.
Goals Against: T3.
xG: 6.
xGA: 5.

This will surely change in the last few games but I am pretty sure, that the overall tune of the season won't be too much different. I like the optimism around here though.

The big question is will he really push for the move like he did with City,also Pochettino going to Chelsea might muddy things

I agree we need at least 3 new players, but your logic is backwards. All the more reason to buy Kane if we don’t buy 3/4 other players. The clear gaping hole in the squad is striker and Harry ticks every conceivable box. Do that then we go for an 8, a backup 6 and for those who despise De Gea, a keeper.

But if we go into the next season with a new 8, a backup 6 and a new keeper but no striker we are truly fukked and might as well concede we’re coming nowhere near putting in a proper challenge for the PL trophy.

Yeah it's one of those things where I can see both sides of the argument. We do need other positions BUT we cannot afford to neglect striker position again this summer

Yeah it's one of those things where I can see both sides of the argument. We do need other positions BUT we cannot afford to neglect striker position again this summer

Yes, but it’s more than just that. The kind of striker we bring will inform to sone degree the kind of midfielder and right back we bring in. Bring in the striker first, as that’s going to be the hardest negotiation to work out, then depending on who you get figure out the midfielder and right back who you can get who best suits the needs of that striker.

i feel like if people are angry with martial for always dropping too deep and never being in the box when needed are gonna feel similar about Kane yes? Anytime i watch the guy i swear he is playing deep midfield. Feel like he is going to take up a lot of the space we already have bruno in.

i feel like if people are angry with martial for always dropping too deep and never being in the box when needed are gonna feel similar about Kane yes? Anytime i watch the guy i swear he is playing deep midfield. Feel like he is going to take up a lot of the space we already have bruno in.
The difference is that Kane drops deep and bangs in 30 a season.

Kane in his best goalscoring seasons played more like a typical centre forward because he had Eriksen and Alli in the space behind him.

Since then, Spurs haven't had a #10 worth a shit so he has to come deep and do everything himself. I'm sure he can revert back to type with proper creativity around him again.

The difference is that Kane drops deep and bangs in 30 a season.
Kane in his best goalscoring seasons played more like a typical centre forward because he had Eriksen and Alli in the space behind him.

Since then, Spurs haven't had a #10 worth a shit so he has to come deep and do everything himself. I'm sure he can revert back to type with proper creativity around him again.
Idk havent watched a whole lot of spurs because they are boring as hell to watch in my opinion. Just seems like for someone who is averaging about 27 total goals in a season over all comps over the last 5 years or so he is getting a little overhyped. Not sure how many of those are pens either since believe he has been the main pk taker i thought? Not saying he is a slouch but just throwing thoughts out there

Idk havent watched a whole lot of spurs because they are boring as hell to watch in my opinion. Just seems like for someone who is averaging about 27 total goals in a season over all comps over the last 5 years or so he is getting a little overhyped. Not sure how many of those are pens either since believe he has been the main pk taker i thought? Not saying he is a slouch but just throwing thoughts out there
I mean in all competitions in the last 5 years he has scored 137 goals in 220 appearances. That includes his injury hit seasons as well. That is still over a goal every 2 games. Not too many strikers in the league can match those sorts of figures. Not too many in Europe either. You can compare that to Rashford as an example who has scored over 27 goals (Kane's average as you say in past 5 years) only once in his career. Kane is a top tier striker just from his goals alone, but he also is a playmaker which gives him added value. I certainly would not say he is overhyped, if anything he is underrated in England in my opinion.

I mean in all competitions in the last 5 years he has scored 137 goals in 220 appearances. That includes his injury hit seasons as well. That is still over a goal every 2 games. Not too many strikers in the league can match those sorts of figures. Not too many in Europe either. You can compare that to Rashford as an example who has scored over 27 goals (Kane's average as you say in past 5 years) only once in his career. Kane is a top tier striker just from his goals alone, but he also is a playmaker which gives him added value. I certainly would not say he is overhyped, if anything he is underrated in England in my opinion.
yeah idk just havent watched enough of him to really try and die on a hill or anything. Just think theres definitive reasons to say we dont try and blow the whole budget on kane-if we even can. Levy is an absolute nightmare and a joke. Personally id be happy to letting kane rot away in spurs for another season winning absolutely nothing.

Did you just say someone who scores 27 a year every year is overhyped?

Although you are right, about 90% are pens.

see how quick balaks launders his breeks

Did you just say someone who scores 27 a year every year is overhyped?

Although you are right, about 90% are pens.

see how quick balaks launders his breeks
i mean we have people who genuinely think with this same roster we just add kane and all of a sudden will be title contenders or something, so just saying. Kane has won nothing in his career, whats his top medal? (and yes i know footy is a team sport but still). Im not sure what his percentage of goals came from pens, looking at transfer market or whatever the site is called 9-6-10-4-9 are his totals for the last 5 years. So a decent little amount. For me it also goes back to limiting the amount of older players we sign so we arent constantly in the market for these huge spending sprees without seemingly building for the future.

If there's "the next Kane" who's 22-23 years old and we can buy on the cheap, then let's jump right in. But such a striker doesn't exist. We might as well accept that a truly proper striker in his prime is going to cost us somewhere between 60-100m. Kane ticks all the right boxes, unless someone can demonstrate due to his age he's about to fall off the cliff.

But will Harry be tempted to join Chelsea?

Last edited: