View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really like this kid but he needs to calm down a tad.

Should be getting all McTominays minutes now.

He is a nuisance for the opposition; never, ever stops pressuring and it leads to numerous turnovers or hurried passes that lead to interceptions. He’s much better on the ball than he’s showing, but that will sort itself out as he settles into being a part of the rotation. In the meantime, we need what he brings to the side as it enables others to better do their own jobs.

He needs to calm down some after bookings, still.

He was good, along with Mount it was nice to watch some urgency and pressure from the front.

Will be hard for Hannibal to keep his place with players returning from injuries...but I would start him again at the weekend,

Barely noticed him apart from wondering if he was about to get a harsh 2nd yellow for one of his many unwise challenges after being booked for a cynical foul.

Started off well and faded a little after going to #10, may have been lucky not to see a red card. Still, showed promise, especially some of his combinations. All smiles when he was subbed.

I dont think he was lucky to not receive a red card but he would have been unlucky for receiving it. He shouldnt have gotten red carded but there was a chance. Hopefully he learns from that by being a bit less combative during a easy 3-0 game. That combative playstyle is part of him as a player though.

Still a long way off what I believe he is capable off. He needs more games at this level to really express himself with his passing and carrying for me.

Too much of a time bomb, he's like a young Scholes but without the quality passing and positioning.

Thought he was disappointing to be honest. With the amount of control we had on the game for a change I felt he should have had more of an influence. Didn't seem to be on the ball enough
Exactly what I thought too he looked busy but didn't do much on the ball and gave a few fouls away.

Something really does seem to have clicked with him in terms of his temperament though, he felt like a ticking time bomb at times in the past but these last two games have shown he can reign it in and be a reliable option for the manager. Of course he ran things a little close tonight but it wasn't due to being riled up or reckless it was just an accumulation of small mistimed challenges that he'll get better at judging as he plays more.

Love what he brings. Needs to be more careful with the ball though.

No idea why the commentators kept going on about a red card either. He was never anywhere near one.

Love what he brings. Needs to be more careful with the ball though.

No idea why the commentators kept going on about a red card either. He was never anywhere near one.

Could’ve very easily got one for persistent fouling. Or just for kicking the ball away after they got awarded a free kick.

You gotta like him but at the same time, he'll get so many red cards a season if he was a regular... needs to chill. Not sure he'll ever quite make it as more than a squaddie here but that's fine. Plays in a role where you pretty much need to be a top, top player to be key here.

I love his energy and ability to carry the ball out of midfield but it seems like every game he is pretty close to getting sent off. Just makes some really clumsy fouls. Really needs to cut that out. I’m sure there was a game under Ralf where he again was close to getting sent off and Ralf mentioned it in an interview after the game and he wasn’t seen again.

Not the best of games, lucky not to be sent off. But very valuable experience gotten

I love his energy and ability to carry the ball out of midfield but it seems like every game he is pretty close to getting sent off. Just makes some really clumsy fouls. Really needs to cut that out. I’m sure there was a game under Ralf where he again was close to getting sent off and Ralf mentioned it in an interview after the game and he wasn’t seen again.
Was it the Liverpool game,he just came on and smashed into them.
Tbh I didn't mind it for that game considering we were being battered and nobody else gave a damn.

Think he will learn with age some situations you can't win the ball so get goal side and cut off options rather than trying to win it all the time.
Hopefully

You gotta like him but at the same time, he'll get so many red cards a season if he was a regular... needs to chill. Not sure he'll ever quite make it as more than a squaddie here but that's fine. Plays in a role where you pretty much need to be a top, top player to be key here.
The manager trusts him now, especially out of possession. I reckon he will be used similarly to Garnacho. Him, Garnacho and Mainoo should get a fair share.

Wasn't very good at all, but at least he ran and was a nuisance. But he needs to calm down. A walking red card, and that's not a new thing with him. Considering the quality of Premier League refs, this is not a good trait at all.

I think ten Hag did have a dig about the foul when he subbed him, seemed happy enough though. Just needs the maturity that comes with experience, hopefully.

Good replacement for Fred’s role. But he could’ve had a second yellow tonight quite easily - and let’s be honest, if he played for an opponent we’d all hate the frizzy haired twat.

I really think he's got what it takes, maybe I'm a little bias due to how much I liked him for the youth teams but I think he's gonna be a very good player for us.

Good replacement for Fred’s role. But he could’ve had a second yellow tonight quite easily - and let’s be honest, if he played for an opponent we’d all hate the frizzy haired twat.
Haha yeah we would hate him. But he’s doing well and his ceiling is much higher than what we’ve seen so far.

He seems to already have a bad reputation with refs. His first yellow was very harsh for what is a very common and not dangerous foul at all, the kind that Rodri or Fabinho do all the time and never get booked for.
But once you’re tagged as an agressive player, it’s hard to get over it, same as Case last season.

I like his agression because he’s not a violent player, he just gets into a lot of duels.

Regarding his overall performance tonight, he kept tidy. Pressed a lot, tracked his players and played simple passes. I would’ve liked to see him take a bit more risks in the attacking phases but it’ll come with time

I thought he was quite sloppy, to be honest. I didn’t like his decision making with the ball and his short passes were often a bit off.

He did good work without the ball.

He did okay but he seems to be playing within himself. He's a player who normally plays with more freedom where his passing and dribbling/carrying ability is more pronounced. But he seemed to play the game tonight very safe, where it seemed like he was instructed to keep it simple. But hopefully in the next games we see him play with more risk and endeavour. Because that's the type of player he is and hopefully we see more of the creative side of his game in the near future.

If you followed him coming up, you’ll know he played from deep and where he’s playing now is the more foreign position. That being said, he’s not going to get any playing time from deep until he can go games without cards - you cannot get away with playing deep with the threat of a red always looming over you; even Patrick Vieira proved that with his reds until he calmed down.

Once he shows more composure and judgment in his tackling, we’ll start to see him getting minutes in his actual position. Until then, he’s going to have to bide his time and actually prove his mettle in terms of common sense and fastidiousness to doing the aggression and tackling without overcooking it.

You play him and play him and get it out of his system, or better to say, have him learn to keep a handle on it. There are countless top players who had this problem who reined it in (Keane, Vieira, Rooney immediately come to mind), so there’s nothing unique in it and we just have to make a concerted effort with his PT.

He did okay but he seems to be playing within himself. He's a player who normally plays with more freedom where his passing and dribbling/carrying ability is more pronounced. But he seemed to play the game tonight very safe, where it seemed like he was instructed to keep it simple. But hopefully in the next games we see him play with more risk and endeavour. Because that's the type of player he is and hopefully we see more of the creative side of his game in the near future.
Promotees are notoriously on tenterhooks in terms of expression; safe and sure until you earn the manager’s trust and are assured you won’t get hooked for weeks/months, and then comes the expression.

Trust and faith is a vital component in becoming a permanent fixture and I’d bet Hannibal is one on a tighter gagging than usual because of his infamy as a hothead and instinctual player.

I hate when people start comparing him to Fred already, he's not even close as good defensively, always seems to be half a stride slower. Didn't quite give me the right impressions of him today. He's much more creative than that but ETH wanted totall control at the expense of creativity today.

So if he convinced him along with other palyers palying boring football, taking no risks turning with the ball, I am happy he proved himself useful, because he's got potential. But I think due to his slightly average first touch, I think he's gonna be aiming for that 6/8 hybrid role, rather than attacking one, he's got good vision and a pass from the back. Also it's his second senior start, so should improve when he gets up to pace after bulding match day rhytm and fitness.

Always hard for a youth player to get going and transitionto senior football. Stupid yellow at the beginning though!

Promotees are notoriously on tenterhooks in terms of expression; safe and sure until you earn the manager’s trust and are assured you won’t get hooked for weeks/months, and then comes the expression.

Trust and faith is a vital component in becoming a permanent fixture and I’d bet Hannibal is one on a tighter gagging than usual because of his infamy as a hothead and instinctual player.
I completely agree.

The AM role is absolutely crucial, especially out of possession in a team that wants to play the game in the opponent's half. And knowing your role as a player out of possession in that particular area is vital to thwart the opponent's quick transition which can expose the vulnerabilities in the whole system. So for me that role is why we signed Mason Mount because he has the out of possession game to enhance the system tactically due to his intelligence, tenacity and athleticism. We got trounced in a number of games last season and one of the reasons was that opponent's would comfortably bypass Bruno centrally.

Status
Not open for further replies.