Gaming Hades 2

It was actually on Epic Games Store for a full year before that. Hades 2 hasn't even been in early access for half a year yet, which isn't a very long time even if we disregard who the developer is. But yeah, it's just the way some companies operate. Larian are the same, and it's clearly working for both of them.
Nerd

onAFMLu.gif

The first Hades was in early access from december 2019 until its full release in September 2020, so it clearly worked well for them the first time.
Don’t people feel it ruins the game a bit for them? In that the first playthrough is essentially a half baked product at least compared to the vision of the final one?

Don’t people feel it ruins the game a bit for them? In that the first playthrough is essentially a half baked product at least compared to the vision of the final one?

Some do, which is why they don't buy it, but for the rest... not really? Nobody plays Hades for the story, and the core gameplay loop doesn't really change. Though I played the early access for Hades 2 just a little bit, then decided I wanted to wait.

I'd personally agree with that. The idea of having to return to a game to experience it properly isn't very appealing to me, certainly not with the sheer amount of games I've got in the backlog. But it clearly works for others.

Some do, which is why they don't buy it, but for the rest... not really? Nobody plays Hades for the story, and the core gameplay loop doesn't really change. Though I played the early access for Hades 2 just a little bit, then decided I wanted to wait.
Not sure about that. Purely for the story? No. But the volume and quality of dialogue and lore in Hades was one of the biggest reasons it kept me invested for so long.

??? I loved the story.

Of course nimic doesn't play for the story, he's an uncultured swine of a post I'm criticising not the poster.

??? I loved the story.

Yes, but if the gameplay of Hades wasn't the gameplay of Hades, you wouldn't be playing it. Besides, it doesn't really matter for early access anyway, since the story wasn't fully implemented. It's the same for Hades 2 now, I think, though I haven't played for more than a few minutes.

I'm a teensy bit worried about the change to the dash, to be honest. Maybe I'm just a big dummy (big if), but I really enjoyed the dash-centric gameplay of Hades.

Yes, but if the gameplay of Hades wasn't the gameplay of Hades, you wouldn't be playing it. Besides, it doesn't really matter for early access anyway, since the story wasn't fully implemented. It's the same for Hades 2 now, I think, though I haven't played for more than a few minutes.

I'm a teensy bit worried about the change to the dash, to be honest. Maybe I'm just a big dummy (big if), but I really enjoyed the dash-centric gameplay of Hades.
While I agree that Hades wouldn’t be very highly rated if it didn’t have the gameplay to back it up, it wouldn’t have transcended beyond roguelite aficionados if it didn’t have the narrative and writing chops. I’d say the three games I’ve liked the most in this genre are Returnal (1st by a country mile) and then Hades and Inscryption in any order. While I finished both Hades till it’s true ending and Inscription till it’s ending, I couldn’t be bothered to play Hades with those handicaps you can add or Inscyotion’s kaycee mod which is the same thing. And I’m sure most people who aren’t true fans of the genre finish these games about at that stage too.

Back on point, and applying this to the early access model, while this may be for some people, personally I like getting really immersed in games at least the ones I really like. So I wouldn’t want my experience tarnished by what is essentially a test / beta version. To each their own though!

While I agree that Hades wouldn’t be very highly rated if it didn’t have the gameplay to back it up, it wouldn’t have transcended beyond roguelite aficionados if it didn’t have the narrative and writing chops. I’d say the three games I’ve liked the most in this genre are Returnal (1st by a country mile) and then Hades and Inscryption in any order. While I finished both Hades till it’s true ending and Inscription till it’s ending, I couldn’t be bothered to play Hades with those handicaps you can add or Inscyotion’s kaycee mod which is the same thing. And I’m sure most people who aren’t true fans of the genre finish these games about at that stage too.

Back on point, and applying this to the early access model, while this may be for some people, personally I like getting really immersed in games at least the ones I really like. So I wouldn’t want my experience tarnished by what is essentially a test / beta version. To each their own though!

I completely agree for some games, but not for others. I played 5 minutes of the Baldur's Gate 3 early access, and then decided I was going to wait the 3 years it eventually took for the final release. I'm doing the same with Hades 2, but that's partly because I didn't enjoy the gameplay as much as Hades, and wanted to give it some more time. With Hades I "finished" it in early access, and then didn't play it again until the final release (when there was a lot more story, and a complete one obviously).

Random roguelite suggestion to end the post: Brotato. Fun little game.

Update out with new areas. Anyone else played the new patch yet? Either I have gotten significantly worse overnight or they big time buffed up the baddies (especially the bosses).