Greatest player you'd seen when you were 12, 18, 25, 35, 50

That's an odd one.

I didn't really follow football until I was 13 (WC 1994). Living in a third world country with only one TV station,.very little exposure to football.
At 12 I only ever heard of Pele, Maradona, Mario Kempes, Burruchaga, Rummanige , Ed de Goey , Ronald Koeman, Van Basten and Ruud Gullit, that's it.
I searched the best players in 1993, only Koeman came out. :D

Roberto Baggio won FIFA best player 1993, Koeman #8

Last edited:
Surprised so many have Cristiano as the best in the world at one age and then Messi at next age because at no point in his career was he the best ever.

Messi was already a far superior footballer even when Cristiano won his first ballon d'Or.
Thread really isn't about 'the best' at all. It's about who was your idea of the best/your favourite at a particular age because it's very interesting to me to see how we change our opinion and relationship with football over the years.

12 - Cantona
18 - Cantona
25 - Cantona
35 - Cantona

Not sure if the question meant you had to see them play when you were that age, but he remains the greatest for me. Idol!

12 - young Giggs in 1993 he was electric

18 - Zidane late 90's was peak Zidane

25 - Ronaldinho in 2006 by far the most skillful player I'd ever seen

35 - 2015 Messi simply the greatest of all time

50 - remains to be seen

7- Cantona
12 - Ronaldinho
18 - Cristiano Ronaldo
25 - Cristiano Ronaldo
34 - not sure who’s the best. I’ll go with Bruno

12 - 1990

Lothar Mattheus was amazing at the World Cup. Dutch had some class players in Van Basten and Gullit. Gazza was class. Bryan Robson and Mark Hughes had my heart

18 - 1996

Age of the great striker. Ronaldo phenomenal and the stand out player, Weah, Romario, Suker, Batistuta, Klinsmann, Cole, Shearer, Wright, Fowler etc...

Cantona the King though

25 - 2003

Ronaldo had been class at last world cup, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Nedved and Zidane. Football seemed a lot more tactical and less based on individual genius. United weren't at their best

35 - 2013

the age of Ronaldo and Messi....

Our last league

12. Mario Kempes/Zico(1978-1981)
18. Maradona(1986)
25. Baggio(1993)
35. Nedved/Henry(2003)
50. Messi(2018)
………..
………..
Today/ATM: Rodri(2023/24)

Such a long way until present. When I was 12, Maradona was already a god, but back then in my country, there were no live broadcasts of the Argentine league. To understand his greatness, I had to buy football magazines in my own country.

Last edited: