Film Great films that you think hardly anyone has watched

The Pledge
Manhunter

Last edited:
Synecdoche,New York by Charlie Kaufman should have a bigger audience,imo. A great piece of film making.
Never got round to seeing it, but it had stacks of hype. Looked like it disappeared up it's own arse tbh.

Top Secret - An oldie. Comedy in a similar vein to Airplane, Naked Gun, Hot Shots and the like. Some hilarious moments, if you can appreciate the style of humour.

Nothing to Lose - Another comedy. Martin Lawrence at his best and Tim Robbins.

Top Secret - An oldie. Comedy in a similar vein to Airplane, Naked Gun, Hot Shots and the like.

Top Secret is an incredible movie. Endlessly rewatchable. There was a short spell where that style of movie were all just brilliant like those you listed above, then suddenly we were getting tripe like Meet the Spartans etc and they died off.

Hell or High Water for me. Same writer as the earlier suggested Wind River which is in the same boat. Nominated for a few Oscars too but hardly anyone seems to have seen it.

For big budgets Blade Runner 2049. That movie was perfect and deserved to make a ton of money but no one watched it!

Some great suggestions in this thread. I'll add a few which I loved.

Headhunters (2011) - Thriller/Action
Wild Tales (2014) - Drama/Mystery
The Great Beauty (2013) - Drama/Comedy
This Is 40 (2012) - Romance/Comedy
If Only (2004) Drama
The Little Death (2014) - Drama/Romance
About Time (2013) - Drama/Fantasy
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - Drama/Fantasy
Hard Candy (2005) - Crime/Thriller
Swiss Army Man 2016) - Drama/Fantasy
Waltz with Bashir (2008)
The Fall (2006) - Drama/Fantasy
Sunshine (2007) - Sci-fi/Thriller
The Man Who Wasn't There (2001) - Drama/Crime
The Fountain (2006) - Drama/Fantasy
Persepolis (2007)
The Intouchables (2011) - Drama/Comedy-drama
The Skin I Live In (2011) - Drama/Thriller
Filth (2013) - Drama/Crime
The Others (2001) - Drama/Fantasy
Pain and Gain (2013)

Last edited:
Synecdoche,New York by Charlie Kaufman should have a bigger audience,imo. A great piece of film making.
Absolutely, one of the best films of this century. Reminded me a lot of 8.5, which also deserves to be seen by more people.

I've seen most of the movies mentioned in this thread so far.

I'll go with Peppermint Candy, a film that did the Memento thing (starting at the end and ending at the start) before Memento did

Megamind. Seems to have gone under the radar due to Despicable Me.

My two favorite movies are Barry Lyndon and Andrei Rublev. Not exactly easy to find someone who saw them.

Absolutely, one of the best films of this century. Reminded me a lot of 8.5, which also deserves to be seen by more people.
The majority of Kuafman's films are fascinatingly introspective,even if a couple are abit overplayed like Adaptation and Human Nature.
Fellini's 8.5 is a masterpiece and is rightly regarded as one.

I would throw in Antonioni's world renowned mystery thriller L'Avventurra for people who like that particular genre.
The Pledge
Manhunter

Manhunter is a good shout.Terrific thriller. Unfortunately it's popularity has been somewhat overshadowed by Mann's later cop thriller classic Heat.

I would also put William Friedkin's To Live and Die in L.A. Excellent film and ,much like Manhunter ,is overshadowed by the Directors earlier efforts with The French Connection.

My two favorite movies are Barry Lyndon and Andrei Rublev. Not exactly easy to find someone who saw them.
Barry Lyndon is a great film and at times quite comedic due to his opportunistic and 'butter wouldn't melt' demure.

Being a Tarkovsky nut, I highly recommend his collected screenplays by Natasha Synessios and translated by William Powell, I too would continue to heap praise on Andrei Rublev.
Outstanding film,though for me Ivan's Childhood,Stalker and The Sacrifice just nip in ahead of Rublev.

I re-watched Barry Lyndon on BBC iplayer not too long ago. If its still present I would recommend Caf members to check it out.

Another film I would throw in would be Charles Laughton's and Robert Mitchums visually striking black and white film The Night of The Hunter.
Absolutely excellent.

Murder by Death is absolutely hilarious but seems to have gone under the radar with my generation.

Brilliant brutal films.

I've only seen Bone Tomahawk. Absolutely horrifically brutal and graphic. The Director doesnt hold back in the visual nastiness of it all.
Though,like most films of similar nature,the more over the top it becomes the more humorous and less seriously I take it.

I chose one from each decade since the fifties.

Ashes and Diamonds - Andrzej Wajda [1958] Poland.
ashes-and-diamonds_poster_goldposter_com_1.jpg
The Round-Up - Miklós Jancsó [1965] Romania.
The_Round-Up_dvd_cover.jpg
Pasqualino Settebellezze (Seven Beauties) - Lina Wertmüller [1975] Italy.
Seven_Beauties_poster%20(1).jpg
Blood Simple - Joel Coen [1984] USA.
zsEuDiXVAiOpAnXK08QtV7PfqZGbfX_large.jpg
La Haine - Mathieu Kassovitz [1995] France.
MV5BNDNiOTA5YjktY2Q0Ni00ODgzLWE5MWItNGExOWRlYjY2MjBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2MjQ5NzM@._V1_SX700_CR0,0,700,999_AL_.jpg
Crimson Gold - Jafar Panahi [2003] Iran.
crimsongold.jpg
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia - Nuri Bilge Ceylan [2011] Turkey.
once-upon-a-time-in-anatolia-2516.jpg

Barry Lyndon is a great film and at times quite comedic due to his opportunistic and 'butter wouldn't melt' demure.

Being a Tarkovsky nut, I highly recommend his collected screenplays by Natasha Synessios and translated by William Powell, I too would continue to heap praise on Andrei Rublev.
Outstanding film,though for me Ivan's Childhood,Stalker and The Sacrifice just nip in ahead of Rublev.

I re-watched Barry Lyndon on BBC iplayer not too long ago. If its still present I would recommend Caf members to check it out.

What I love about Barry Lyndon is, that you can stop the movie at any time and it'll look like a beautiful painting. I don't think an equally beautiful movie will ever be made.

With Andrei Rublev it's the final chapter that gets to me. The whole episode with the bell is just beyond words. So it edges out his other movies, even though they are incredible as well.
I might check his screenplays out. Thanks for the tip.

Ashes and Diamonds is great.
Countries and individuals trying to pick themselves up again so shortly after a notorious war always holds a greater interest for me narratively.

Krzysztof Kieślowski's the The Three Colours trilogy deserves a mention,Blue being my particular favourite.

Last edited:
What I love about Barry Lyndon is, that you can stop the movie at any time and it'll look like a beautiful painting. I don't think an equally beautiful movie will ever be made.

With Andrei Rublev it's the final chapter that gets to me. The whole episode with the bell is just beyond words. So it edges out his other movies, even though they are incredible as well.
I might check his screenplays out. Thanks for the tip.

This one shot in Barry Lyndon which just emphasis the perfectionist eye and artistry Kubrick had.
mv5bzjgxnmjjmgutmmm0zi00nzg0ltg1ywytmdmxzdi3mdbhzgy4xkeyxkfqcgdeqxvyntayndq2nji-_v1_.jpg
The composition is perfect.

Ashes and Diamonds is great.
Countries and individuals trying to pick themselves up again after a notorious war always holds a greater interest for me narratively.

Krzysztof Kieślowski's the The Three Colours trilogy deserves a mention,Blue being my particular favourite.
Good shout, Red for me. His Dekalog films are incredible.

Personal recommendation: Start with A Short Film About Love, then A Short Film About Killing. These two have expanded cinema releases (compared to the TV Series versions) and they definitely hit me the hardest.

Another film I would throw in would be Charles Laughton's and Robert Mitchums visually striking black and white film The Night of The Hunter.
Absolutely excellent.
Another classic. Mitchum was perfect.

Talking old films, I'd also recommend M and Touch of Evil. Both dark as fook, especially M, which studies a bleak subject in a way most modern films would definitely steer clear of.

@IhabX7 Those are so some good ass movies. Think I've seen Blood Simple, Ashes and Diamonds, and maybe that Nuri Bilge Ceylan one (great filmmaker!).
Man.. such an inspiration.
Absolutely excellent.
I gotta see this, looks great.

I've only seen Bone Tomahawk. Absolutely horrifically brutal and graphic. The Director doesnt hold back in the visual nastiness of it all.
Though,like most films of similar nature,the more over the top it becomes the more humorous and less seriously I take it.

Brawl on cell block 99 is extremely graphic too and this is coming from someone that considers themselves a gore hound.

Vince Vaughn is fecking amazing in it too.