Giant tornado devastates Oklahoma

Watched the second half of this documentary on Discovery - pretty good documentary.

[URL="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/01/mile-wide-tornado-oklahoma-disaster-discovery_n_3372623.html"http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/01/mile-wide-tornado-oklahoma-disaster-discovery_n_3372623.html]'Mile Wide Tornado: Oklahoma Disaster,' Discovery Channel Special, Examines May 20 Storm[/URL]

There are different kinds of stormchasers aslo. The three who were killed were part of a team that in addition to being fascinated by the storms also collect a lot of data for scientists who study the storms. Stormchasers have also proved helpful in being part of the early warning system when tornados touch down and are approaching populated areas.

There also the kind of chasers who do so just for thrills, there are even some who operate tours during tornado season, you can travel around the midwest with them hoping to get close and see some massive T-storms and tornados.

would love to do. I'd add hurricanes and lightning storms too.

there's something so fascinating about the power of nature.

An enormous gust of wind came through when I was walking the dogs on Friday just as my wife arrived in the park from work. It was a big thunder storm system and this was the leading edge. The wind was so strong I suggested we stay where we were for a minute, atop a small grassy knoll surrounded by big trees. Sure enough, exactly where we'd have been walking two huge branches came right down. It was amazing to see, they appeared to just float down to the ground (a factor of all the leaves I suppose) but you knew that having that hit you on the way down would have caused serious injury. It was spectacular.

cool. nice that you're not writing this from a hospital bed too. :D

:lol: for sure. I'm quite good at these things, even if it is really only common sense. It was like a wall of wind, I don't think I've experienced it quite like that before.

Remember about 10 years back a passenger jet got knocked out of the sky in Colorado? I think that was from a wind shear incident. Maybe that's what you felt.

Also, they had a derecho (sp?) hit Washington DC area late June last year, just days after my family moved out here. I'd never heard of that before. Seemingy it's quite powerful. That's a big system though.