Film Ghostbusters III (Not the crappy reboot one)

It was alright, but didn't really feel like a Ghostbusters film. Just a sci-fi action film with some throwbacks. The comedic tone of the original films wasn't really there. The 2016 extended SNL sketch version was better. But the original 2 are still untouchable.
What, that was a terrible

What, that was a terrible

I'm unlikely to rewatch either of them again, but if I had to, I'd pick the reboot. Whilst Afterlife was alright, there was nothing particularly fun about it for me. The 2016 reboot is a formulaic mediocre comedy flick at worst. I'm a big fan of Kate McKinnon though, so that likely sways it.

Loved it. Great nostalgia in there. Million times better than that shocking girl power reboot.

I'm unlikely to rewatch either of them again, but if I had to, I'd pick the reboot. Whilst Afterlife was alright, there was nothing particularly fun about it for me. The 2016 reboot is a formulaic mediocre comedy flick at worst. I'm a big fan of Kate McKinnon though, so that likely sways it.

I think I’d agree. I mean, the new one is technically a much superior “film” in that it’s shot, paced and acted much better (and the main girl is very good) but it’s also so far removed from anything that was actually good or worth celebrating about the original Ghostbusters, or any of its franchise off shoots.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m all for trying something weird and new with a franchise, but this isn’t that. Almost every frame of this is a slobbering celebration of the first film, just with all the context and tone that made it worth celebrating changed entirely.

It’s a weirdly earnest checklist of nostalgia for middle aged men in an age already absolutely saturated in nostalgia for middle aged men (or massive tantrums over things that don’t sufficiently pander to middle aged men) that shares nothing in tone or aims with the original film aside from a desire to fetishise its props and make people misty eyed about their reverence for a deeply cynical SNL comedy premise from 40 years ago, intended as a vehicle for several old cast members to riff around.

Whereas the 2016 one, whilst deeply mediocre was at least actually a comedy vehicle for several SNL cast members to riff around, that attempted - albeit badly - to engage a new audience in an amusing film about busting Ghosts.

One is actually in keeping with the spirit of the original… and the other is merely in keeping with how self seriously important fans of the franchise consider it 40 years later. A deeply bizarre artifact of a culturally stunted age, as opposed to just a bit of a shit comedy.

Last edited:
An initially mildly interesting film, whilst not remotely in keeping with the original movie's style or ethos, transforms two thirds of the way through into a soulless, cynical shitshow that left me feeling repulsed and downbeat. Peak "I recognise that" bullshit filled with undeserved reverence for a film that was textbook irreverence. Utterly dispiriting (pun intended) and actually worse than the dreadful 2016 reboot for precisely the reasons @Mockney highlights above.

I personally didn’t feel as repulsed by that insane 3rd act in quite the way others have been - mainly because I’m sure they got the relevant blessings from family and friends and such like (I mean, it’s made by and with some of them) but still, I can absolutely understand why some people would … and it certainly opens the door to a lot of really weird icky stuff…. I mean this, for example, is just …. wow.

Not a bad attempt, but what can you do when the original two films were so huge and well loved. You'll either get accused of repeating the original storylines or by being too sentimental or putting too many nod winks to older fans.

I agree with others that the final third could have been better, and the big bad was too stupid and easily defeated in my opinion. I'm guessing the budget was running out for cgi and a bigger longer finale battle. But I did like the cast and the acting and script were not bad, and I thought lead girl Mckenna Grace was very good and look forward to what she does in future.

Hopefully if they do get a sequel it will be a 15 rated crazy, scary, out there sci fi horror comedy with hardly any ties (except young Spenglers) to the original cast and stories.

I mean, the sequel itself was practically the original. Similar beats, not as funny though.

The first really was a lightning in a bottle moment.

I think I’d agree. I mean, the new one is technically a much superior “film” in that it’s shot, paced and acted much better (and the main girl is very good) but it’s also so far removed from anything that was actually good or worth celebrating about the original Ghostbusters, or any of its franchise off shoots.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m all for trying something weird and new with a franchise, but this isn’t that. Almost every frame of this is a slobbering celebration of the first film, just with all the context and tone that made it worth celebrating changed entirely.

It’s a weirdly earnest checklist of nostalgia for middle aged men in an age already absolutely saturated in nostalgia for middle aged men (or massive tantrums over things that don’t sufficiently pander to middle aged men) that shares nothing in tone or aims with the original film aside from a desire to fetishise its props and make people misty eyed about their reverence for a deeply cynical SNL comedy premise from 40 years ago, intended as a vehicle for several old cast members to riff around.

Whereas the 2016 one, whilst deeply mediocre was at least actually a comedy vehicle for several SNL cast members to riff around, that attempted - albeit badly - to engage a new audience in an amusing film about busting Ghosts.

One is actually in keeping with the spirit of the original… and the other is merely in keeping with how self seriously important fans of the franchise consider it 40 years later. A deeply bizarre artifact of a culturally stunted age, as opposed to just a bit of a shit comedy.

Wow - that is certainly a take on it. Not a take I agree with at all mind you but fair play for putting it out there anyway. Although Afterlife wasn't brilliant you can say it was made with a lot of love and that was fine by me - I enjoyed it and made me quite emotional at the end - two things the recent reboot didn't do.

Watched this last night, really enjoyed it and all the end and after credit stuff too.

I wished the remaining three had been in this a little more, but I deffo would love to see them do one more movie all together one more time.

I liked this one although I don't even remember the original movie that well as I watched maybe only once when I was a kid. Think everything was too fast paced in the second half of the movie but overall enjoyed it and the lead girl played her role quite well.

I think a decently budgeted TV show where the OG cast could appear sporadically would be the best place for the franchise to go, should they wish to continue it. That said, the latest film failed to break even at the box office, so it may have run its course. Which would be okay too.

I think a decently budgeted TV show where the OG cast could appear sporadically would be the best place for the franchise to go, should they wish to continue it. That said, the latest film failed to break even at the box office, so it may have run its course. Which would be okay too.

Well to be fair, it was released at a bad time.

Only 2 movies have done well in box office in 2021

Bond & Spiderman

Well to be fair, it was released at a bad time.

Only 2 movies have done well in box office in 2021

Bond & Spiderman
You can probably just about add Dune to that list, which is at the $400m mark as it stands.

I take your point, I guess its performance on the home entertainment level will determine what they do next.

You can probably just about add Dune to that list, which is at the $400m mark as it stands.

I take your point, I guess its performance on the home entertainment level will determine what they do next.

Yeah, Dune has done okay, I've not seen yet, as never really enjoyed the original as a kid, but will give it a watch.

I've got King RIchard to watch next.

I would like it better if it was a tv show or series in netflix, like it felt the story needed some expanding as I was interested in the setting and side characters but everything was rushed in the second half, so I think it could benefit from a series format.